Leaked Microsoft Video Reveals Horrible Future for PC Gaming

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Leaked Microsoft Video Reveals Horrible Future for PC Gaming

An internal Microsoft video showing the company's dark, horrific vision for the future of the "Windows Gaming Experience" has found its way onto YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPYdgy35KA&feature=player_embedded]. [Caution: not for the faint of heart.]

That which is seen cannot be unseen, which is a real shame when it comes to things like this video created by Microsoft that details the company's plan for a connected, social, casual gaming experience characterized by bright colors, microtransactions and ceaseless interaction with online "friends." The importance of Avatars, representing the "style, attitude and character" of each person's online identity, is a big point of emphasis, as is the ability to easily search for, find and share new games and media across multiple platforms.

The focus here is clearly on the casual market. The video kicks off with Battlefield 2 [http://www.farmville.com/] by buying him a better gun and then immediately misspells "pwn3d."

I don't even know what to say here. Maybe I'm being overly harsh, or maybe I'm bitter because I'm feeling left out, but if this is what Microsoft means when it talks about taking the PC seriously as a gaming platform, I think I'll just go back to watching television.

via: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/20/leaked-microsofts-work-in-progress-vision-of-the-future-of-games-for-windows-live/]

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
I might have just thrown up in my mouth a little. It looks like instead of actually fixing GFWL, which at this point is a buggy, and poorly implemented version of Steam, they're making this into a buggy and poorly implemented version of facebook. And my bet is that it will be just as successful as GFWL. (Read: A colossal failure) *sigh*

But at least we still have Battlefield 3 to look forward to.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Micro-transactions are the future man! I can't wait till we get to buy our ammo for guns!

Anyways, not all of it seems that bad. Sure a bunch of it seems to go along with the facebookification of gaming and more mixing with social media but some of the ideas (specifically sharing new games and cross media over multiple applications) are something I've been hoping would get better for awhile.

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
Interesting; I assume this is based on Kinects real time interaction with the avatar...

Apr 28, 2008
I'll just copy/paste what I said about this earlier:

So... who are they targeting with this?

The casual market is already on facebook, and GFWL is nowhere near as user-friendly, so they won't be using this.
The hardcore PC gamer market isn't exactly on the best of terms with Microsoft for obvious reasons.
And everyone else either doesn't care or just uses Steam.
Any Xbox owners they'd hope to target will have Xbox's, and won't really care. They'll just do the stuff the video showed on their 360's. Unless they're going after the people who'll want to change Xbox stuff on their PC's. In which case thats a pretty specific market to target. Since anyone with a gaming PC will probably be turned off by the look of all of this.

So... yeah, whats their plan, exactly?

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Just waiting for the Elder Scrolls game or Wizards of the Coast RPG where you can port your avatar directly into the game.

brb, cutting myself.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I don't see what's so horrible about it. So we're not the demographic, who cares? There are a thousand things that obviously were never designed for me.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
They're not gonna move much with this considering steam is a big social network basically and its much better than whatever that was.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
oh god. the horror. the horror.
That is legitimately horrible. I won't go into detail due to risk of aneurysm, but I'll just second the "Thank god for Steam" sentiment.

Ferroto Baggins

Apr 30, 2010
unless there's a mod so I can mow them down with a kalashnikov I'm not interested.

Also this looks suspiciously like sony@home.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
I was dying, but when I say Justin B. at 1:22, I died.

I of cource don't mean this in a good way, mit looks like Microsoft gave up on gamers and is moving on to moms and ten year olds.

WHY!?

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Somebody at Microsoft really liked Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474276/]...

And erm.. Microsoft... What happens if we don't have any friends?