Least Favorite Album Of Your Favorite Artist

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Everyone has a favorite artist, and everyone has a favorite album by that artist. To keep things interesting, which album by that artist do you like or listen to the least.

Personally, I love Nine Inch Nails, Trent is a musical genius, but Ghosts I-IV is the only album I can't get through the whole time without listening to something else as a break from it. Then again, the album wasn't made to be listened to outright, it's more of a background noise type.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Your Favorite Weapon by Brand New comes to mind.

It was their first album and I'm glad they abandoned their punk/emo sound for something else.

DJMasterFunkyFresh

Mar 6, 2010
The new album from Katatonia "Night is the New Day".

All the songs sounded exactly the same, and they had a really dull tone.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
I don't really have a favourite, so heres a few.
-

Tool - 10'000 Days is pretty much the best and worst of their music rolled into one CD. (those 4 or 5 great songs are worth it though)

REM - Their latest one with the weird cover art. I can't remember the name of it, but it was kinda...meh...

Rage Against the Machine - Renegades is ok, but it doesn't live up to their other works. Then again it was pretty ambitious.

A Perfect Circle - Emotive. The shit is that noise? The cover of John Lennon's Imagine is great, but aside from that? Nooooooo.

Smashing Pumpkins - While I haven't heard any of their stuff after Adore, what I have heard is that it's apparently really really bad.
Damn shame, I absolutely love Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium. While there is some great stuff on there, I don't think it outweighs the sheer number of meh-ish songs.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
Although this may earn me some "not cool points" with some people, I'm a huge fan of Avenged Sevenfold. I only really got into them in 2008, but still, they're one of my favorite bands.

That said, their worst album is an easy choice: Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. Although there were a few songs on their self-titled album and Nightmare that fell terribly flat ("Dear God", "So Far Away", "Unbound (The Wild Ride)", and I found "Danger Line" to be incredibly mediocre), I HATE the way they sounded in their early days. They improved a lot with Waking the Fallen, and reached their absolute peak with City of Evil, and it's so hard to look back at their first album positively.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Metallica, St. Anger. It was so bad. It was total butt rock. I'm glad they now realize what a mistake it was and went back to being awesome again.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
xXAsherahXx said:
Personally, I love Nine Inch Nails, Trent is a musical genius, but Ghosts I-IV is the only album I can't get through the whole time without listening to something else as a break from it. Then again, the album wasn't made to be listened to outright, it's more of a background noise type.
Stealing my answer in the OP? -incoherent grumbling-

Ahem. I'll try to be slightly more coherent. I adore Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor makes me all sorts of happy, but... Ghosts I-IV just doesn't click with me the same way the rest of his music does. It's good, but as you said, OP, not something that can be listened to in a giant, whole-CD run.

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
Falling into Infinity by Dream Theater. Even the band hated what it ended up sounding like.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
The first two albums that Rise Against put out, "Revolutions Per Minute" and "The Unraveling". While Tim McIlrath has always been a brilliant lyricist, they hadn't really hit their stride melodically. It certainly wasn't bad, but to me it sounded like the same generic, at-time contemporary punk riffs with better lyrics. They wouldn't come into their own musically until 2004's "Siren Song of the Counter Culture".

I still like the albums, but they're nowhere near as good as their later work, particularly "The Sufferer and the Witness", which is still one of my favorite albums of all time.

NEPAL

Mar 14, 2011
Pantera - Anything before Cowboys from Hell
Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals
Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying
Slayer - Diabolus in Musica
Killswitch Engage - Killswitch Engage(2009)
Metallica - St. Anger

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Rush - Snakes and Arrows
If it weren't for the excellent instrumental tracks, this one would be pretty much totally disposable to me... and I'm a HUGE Rush fan. Just not interesting musically and lyrically it's just poorer versions of the same themes Peart has already tackled numerous times.

Jean-Michel Jarre - Teo and Tea
It doesn't deserve the hate it generally gets, but it is something of a fairly generic electronic/dance album from an artist that previously and since never stopped challenging the worlds of both electronic and acoustic sounds.

The White Stripes - The White Stripes
I can appreciate the ragged sound of their earlier albums, and love when it's mixed in with their later more refined work, but by itself I just find it hard to listen to an entire album of it.

Dreamer of Theaters

Jun 15, 2011
Everyone has already said Tool and Dream Theatre, so I'm going with:

Kerplunk-Green Day. Absolutely shit, but that was the last album before Dookie, so they got way better.
Conspiracy of One-The Offspring. I liked it at first, but that was because it was my first Offspring album. But then I bought the others and realised it was shit.
The Battle of LA-Rage Against the Machine. Some good songs, but most of the others are average.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Waking the Fallen by Avenged Sevenfold
It was a good album but nothing compared to city of evil, Nightmare or (self titled(Avenged Sevenfold))
Although sounding the seventh trumpet wasn't all that great either I just think Warmness of the soul makes the album :D

Love me some A7X :D

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
"The Fall" by gorillaz. I liked their first album, loved Demon Days and didn't like plastic beach at first though it grew on me quickly. But The Fall is just...boring. I don't even know why I think so it just is.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
"Symphony of Enchanted Lands II ? The Dark Secret" from Rhapsody of Fire. Only two of the songs really stand out for me ("Unholy Warcry" and "Magic of the Wizard's Dream"), and while the rest are fine in their own right, they just aren't memorable or stand out that much compared to the rest of their albums I've heard. I thought about listing their original album, "Legendary Tales", but that's mainly because I prefer the tracks rerecorded for "Tales of the Emerald Sword Saga".

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
X & Y by Coldplay. It's got some gems, but most of it is rehashed, pseudo-experimental dross.