Left 4 Dead 2: Why the Boycott Is a Good Thing

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
If the changes are anything more than data driven in nature (ie. core engine code changes) then an expansion pack likely isn't a feasible option. It all comes down to their base architecture and the kind of extensibility that it allows for.

Not that the angry masses will care about the rationale behind it. They're fueled by the Righteousness of Intarwebz Justice!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
Freakout456 said:
bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
Great article. I just don't understand why they couldn't put the stuff in Left4dead2 into an expansion pack.
The only thing it adds is new ugly survivors skins, a few new maps, and one new playable infected. The new weapons are at best just reskins.
Eh? It has more maps than the original, 3 new infected, and a freaking chainsaw. A chainsaw is a reskin?
I was merely pointing out that what their adding doesn't isn't really need an entirely new game, they could just make a 30 dollar expansion and everyone would be happy. I just miss the good old days of expansions. Makes me cry a little.
Ya I can agree I will miss Francis, Bill, Zoey...and um the black guy....BARACK...no that's not right
What the fuck....

bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
Great article. I just don't understand why they couldn't put the stuff in Left4dead2 into an expansion pack.
The only thing it adds is new ugly survivors skins, a few new maps, and one new playable infected. The new weapons are at best just reskins.
Eh? It has more maps than the original, 3 new infected, and a freaking chainsaw. A chainsaw is a reskin?
I was merely pointing out that what their adding doesn't isn't really need an entirely new game, they could just make a 30 dollar expansion and everyone would be happy. I just miss the good old days of expansions. Makes me cry a little.
How could they make it into an expansion?!? Its BIGGER than the original!
It may have more stuff, but alot of the stuff isn't new. I mean cmon only one new mode? For the content they provide it doesn't seem worth 50 bucks for mostly the same game.
Look,

Left 4 Dead 1: 4 Campaigns
Left 4 Dead 2: 5 Campaigns.

That would be a ridiculous expansion.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Look,

Think of how famous Valve would become for creating an expansion bigger than the original game! Genius!

[small]Ok, not really[/small]

ShadeFox

Aug 30, 2008
Valve has released an official announcement saying that they are going to continue to work on updates and such for L4D

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
Freakout456 said:
bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
Ya I can agree I will miss Francis, Bill, Zoey...and um the black guy....BARACK...no that's not right
What the fuck....

bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
How could they make it into an expansion?!? Its BIGGER than the original!
It may have more stuff, but alot of the stuff isn't new. I mean cmon only one new mode? For the content they provide it doesn't seem worth 50 bucks for mostly the same game.
Look,

Yeah, its just too bad that people don't play the game for the campaigns. They play it for the gameplay. Also considering that they havn't released an SDK yet for the game, and their making sequel also makes very little sense. Besides, havn't you thought of how this might split the community. Besides I really don't feel like installing two versions of pretty much the same game.
EDIT: Just look at TF2. They released new weapons, new maps and new modes. ALL FOR FREE!! They even added hats, HATS!

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
jebussaves88 said:
I just don't get the argument. Don't they feel Valve has done enough for the game? They've bothered to deliver Versus play on the two campaigns it was previously unavailable for, added a whole new mode, and continue to support it through updates. Why the hell shouldn't ehy put out a new game if they so choose?
Too bad that 3rd party servers had Dead Air and Death Toll playable like a month after release, and it took valve how long to make it playable for everyone?
Survivor mode isn't a great deal of work either, its nice that they threw it in but it isn't anything like a new campaign, I will give them props for last stand but the rest are just the old maps with areas blocked off.

bart229

Aug 4, 2007
Yes, we should definitely band together and fight Valve. After all, this company is just a bunch of money grabbers who don't care about gamers. Let's see, all they've done is start Steam, putting together incredible deals every weekend for PC gamers, released the Orange Box, putting more than one awesome game (Half-Life series, TF2, Portal) into one package at a one game price, done nothing but put out more and more content for free, always balancing and patching as quickly as possible, running free play weekends, on and on and on....

Every frickin' game - awesome. Steam - awesome. Gamer support - awesome.

Yeah, of all the game companies out there, let's choose Valve to boycott, the company that doesn't care about gamers. Good God, I cannot believe how stupid people can be. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to mark my calendar to buy LFD2 at launch.

bigboy53

Jun 16, 2009
it honestly makes me laugh that steam is getting all worked up over a game.the game is way to big for DLC.so i really think everybody at steam should just get over it.by the way you can't for a second think the game dosn't look amazing.

Apr 5, 2009
The people who are boycotting L4D2 are idiots.. Don't they realize that this couldn't simply be done in an update? They are completely changing the AI director, adding new maps with a GD Story line [I know, it's scary], giving new weapons, adding infected, and, to top it all off, allowing you to create your own path through the maps! I also think they are using a different graphics engine, but I'm not too sure of that.

Theissen

Jan 8, 2008
bue519 said:
Only is a relative term.

By my calculations, the only additional amount of new content is somewhere along 100 %

The Political Gamer

Oct 12, 2008
I only payed $25 for L4D1's 4 "main" maps and the game was worth the $25 for sure but in L4D2 there are 25 new "main" maps, thats a lot of maps so it will be worth the full $50. However, I will miss the old L4D gang for sure. :(

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I wonder would it be a valid argument and quell the protesters if Valve(everyone working in the company) just ran around screaming:

"We need the money! We can't go working for free anymore! I want to feed my kids!"

Striker1246

Dec 29, 2008
And to all of those who are talking about tf2's great support- I assume you're refering to the PC support, cause so far theres been NOTHING for xbox gamers.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
I just wish Valve would direct it's attention to the series that brought it so much fame in the first place. Give me either Half-life 2 episode 3 or Half-Life 3 before Left 4 Dead 2.
Seriously, this has been said so many times before.

Valve is divided into teams. There are individual teams for Valve's products. The Left4Dead team is separate from the Half-Life team. Them making Left4Dead 2 has no influence on the development of Half-Life:Episode 3.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
bue519 said:
I'm willing to bet that you haven't looked into Left4Dead 2 at all.

The new survivors being ugly is a matter of opinion. Not that it matters, as you can play as the old survivors anyways. There are 5 new campaigns, and they all contain different game play mechanics than those featured in the old maps. There are 3 new playable infected, though only the Charger has been shown so far. I don't understand how you could call the new weapons reskins, as we haven't seen them yet. Plus they are adding melee weapons, and calling those reskins makes no sense.

There are also a variety of other new additions being added to the game. There are new types of common infected that have traits that differ from the other common infected. There is an all new game mode, in addition to the 4 game modes from the original. There have been major enhancements to the AI director, which can now alter map structure based on the players performance.

The content in Left4Dead 2 heavily outweighs the content of the original game.

hailmagus

Jan 17, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
I just wish Valve would direct it's attention to the series that brought it so much fame in the first place. Give me either Half-life 2 episode 3 or Half-Life 3 before Left 4 Dead 2.
HIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOO

you've got the right idea.