Left 4 Dead-Half-Life Link

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
KneeLord post=9.72532.766323 said:
Theo Samaritan post=9.72532.763995 said:
You have to bare in mind the only reason they linked their last major non-sequel game (Portal) in with the Half Life series is to give that universe a bit more depth.
Aye, since the Half Life universe is so lacking depth. ;)

Christ man, for a sci fi FPS, it's got one of the most convoluted mythologies there is.
Too true. It's unfortunate that so many gamers can't see that. Even if you don't like a game like Half-Life or other games with deep narratives, like Bioshock, doesn't mean you can't appreciate the complexity or depth of it's story. Players come to expect the developer to spoon feed them key plot points through cut scenes or some other means. Most don't get the story of a game unless some character comes along and spells it out for them point by point. Frankly, I find that kind of narrative rather insulting. It's like the creators are saying the player is too stupid or unobservant to grasp what's going on.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Theo Samaritan post=9.72532.763995 said:
You have to bare in mind the only reason they linked their last major non-sequel game (Portal) in with the Half Life series is to give that universe a bit more depth. Left 4 Dead has no real similarities with the Half Life universe (as far as I can tell) so I don't see why it should be linked.
You never know.
Left-4-Dead could be in North America which would present to be remote and annonymous to the Eastern Europe that is Half Life 2.

geddydisciple

Cerebrate
Aug 25, 2008
I think it is pretty likly they will throw in a couple subtle references but from my understanding the setting/story is too different to make any major references. However i would love it if you could change the settings so all the zombies are headcrab zombies, thats a great idea.

Eyclonus

Apr 12, 2008
fix-the-spade post=9.72532.766282 said:
Slycne post=9.72532.763567 said:
I would be a little disappointed if the zombie horde all happened to be Gordon Freeman though.
That would be the shortest game ever.
"Zombie's approaching, don't worry men, we'll fight them off... Oh Shit it's Gordon Free,"...(Sound of Crowbar penetrating skull).
Its easy to survive a horde of Gordon Freeman zombies, just make all the doors voice activated and shoot everything that doesn't speak.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Perhaps a ruined billboard advertising Half Life. But anything that would affect gameplay, or destroy the fourth wall would be a no-go.

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
fedpayne post=9.72532.769170 said:
Seriously... what cat?
Barney and Dr Kleiner from Half Life 2 make a lot of referances to a failed expieriment involving teleporting a Cat.

Humanfishboy

Aug 9, 2008
OverlordSteve post=9.72532.769267 said:
Seriously... what cat?
Barney and Dr Kleiner from Half Life 2 make a lot of referances to a failed expieriment involving teleporting a Cat.
Uh... I think he was quoting Alyx, mate :p

Brzozka

Nov 22, 2008
Interesting to revive this post to see what people have found.

On some computer screens, there is a desktop shortcut to open Valve

Anything else people have spotted?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
OverlordSteve said:
Seriously... what cat?
I have that cat. His name is Mr Tiddywinkles. Say hi Mr Tiddywinkles

*Theres a sound like a snake being strangled*

Sweet little thing...

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
I read some guessing pages. People are trying to put the left 4 dead levels in ravenholm. I thought that, with some modding, it could work

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
superbleeder12 said:
I read some guessing pages. People are trying to put the left 4 dead levels in ravenholm. I thought that, with some modding, it could work
I'd like to see that. Espacially if they expand Ravenholm beyond what is shown in-game. As is, it's rather hard to defend yourself.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Actually I found a billboard in Act one, area 2, advertising "ORANGE BOX orange juice- now with 98% orange juice" if that counts. I thought it might be a little shoutout to the Orange Box.

Brzozka

Nov 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Actually I found a billboard in Act one, area 2, advertising "ORANGE BOX orange juice- now with 98% orange juice" if that counts. I thought it might be a little shoutout to the Orange Box.
Look good :)

I would be very suprised if that was a fluke!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I just want Zoey to make refrences to other Valve games.

Zoey singing, "Still Alive" and freaking out the other teammates would be epic.

No. Lewis singing Still Alive! All the IT people I know are gamers, so...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Eyclonus said:
fix-the-spade post=9.72532.766282 said:
That would be the shortest game ever.
"Zombie's approaching, don't worry men, we'll fight them off... Oh Shit it's Gordon Free,"...(Sound of Crowbar penetrating skull).
Its easy to survive a horde of Gordon Freeman zombies, just make all the doors voice activated and shoot everything that doesn't speak.
They would get you through the airvents... silently.

h311str0m

Sep 25, 2008
Brzozka said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Look good :)

I would be very suprised if that was a fluke!
Granted it's not Half-Life but Team Fortress 2, but I've seen one where it's a box of action figures or something and it says "Collect All 10!"--which I think's been speculated as hinting to a new class.