Legend of Korra: A Fantastic Finale With a Perfect Ending

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra: A Fantastic Finale With a Perfect Ending

Korra?s finale is a wild ride, even if it is better suited to end a season rather than conclude a series.

Read Full Article

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Hey all. I've had an absolute blast writing these reviews and reading your comments. I just wanted to thank all of you who have come back here to read these, week after week. I am really going to miss this series. Well, I would, except I'll probably just rewatch it and ATLA every other year.

Thanks again. You are all fantastic.

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
I liked the finale and I did ship Korra and Asami. But the thing that I am dwelling the most right now is that this is the end of Korra as a show and the end of the Avatar universe if reports from the creators are to be believed. This makes me sad and I mean really sad. I enjoy the universe of the two shows, I love the characters, and I believe that these shows did a lot of good in showing very positive characters without having any agendas behind it besides giving a good show.

I would love to see another continuation of the Avatar universe and there is always hope for that. But for now I am just sad that the Legend of Korra is over.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
I'm both sad that the Avatar universe may be ending with the show, but also amazing pleased with the series finale. Thanks Mike for the articles and work put into them, I looked forward tonight to reading your thoughts on the ending after finishing it myself.

I'll commit myself to believing that the Korra + Asami was truly romantic in nature at the end and I think it was the most realistic outcome if they were going to push Korra into a relationship.

Now, I guess we just have the real world left. I miss bending.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
First, THANK YOU for acknowledging that Korra isn't Last Airbender and doesn't have to be. So many fans I see out there compare them saying Korra isn't living up to Last Airbender. And while that's true in SOME respects, fact is that it's aiming to do something different overall and while that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it still feels uniquely its own enough where the comparisons fail to do either series justice.

And while I'm all for Korrasami, I'm really annoyed by the more overzealous fans basically spoiling everything for everyone everywhere. I've been seeing people posting about it on youtube comments that have NOTHING to do with Avatar in any way. I get the enthusiasm, but they don't need to be assholes and turn non-fans even FURTHER away from a great series.

It's sad this is coming to an end and it pisses me off with all the bullshit Nickelodeon's pulled that Korra did feel like it was playing with a handicap the whole time (budget cuts and constant schedule changes). I hope a new Avatar series comes around again someday, but I won't hold my breath since just getting this one was kind of a surprise. If it does happen, I really hope someone more competent than Nickelodeon gets to air it. They seriously didn't know how to handle this show properly and it came to bite them in the ass.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I give it a resounding four out of five stars myself. A satisfying enough conclusion even if I feel it was pretty cheesy even by cartoon standards.

The giant mech was itself pretty silly to begin with. I can see why the shows creators put it in: To make Kuvira a more intimidating threat against Korra and friends and to up the stakes, but I think that could also have been done much better via means other than ridiculous robots. I just felt it was out of place with the shows setting and that it was stretching things when the existing mechs in the franchise were already a bit iffy.

Also, and this is the one that's already gotten me hell in another topic where I mentioned it, I thought the romance was corny. The Last Airbender did the same thing with ending the series on a romantic note and I didn't like it then any more than I do now, it's just corny and cliche. At least they didn't do the whole 'kiss/camera upwards pan' shot, though they might as well have given the reaction that last shot has had. I also don't like how the whole romance angle has seemingly completely overshadowed the show itself, it's all anyone is talking about now. I'm sure given time it'll fade, but for now it's already getting annoying.

Again I thought it was silly and unnecessary but whatever, I've already gotten hell for disliking the romantic angle so I'm at least happy it's made other people happy.

...Also Prince Wu was stupid. I don't like him now any more than I did before and I didn't find him either particularly sympathetic during his scenes nor at all funny. Having both Tenzin and General Iroh both being useless for the millionth time was frustrating as well. Has Iroh and his army done a single thing other than get blown up this entire series? I can't think of even one example otherwise. At least Tenzin got a few moments of badassery throughout the series I guess, but in the finale he's barely present except to talk a bit at the end before getting overshadowed.

What I did like were some of the other touches throughout the finale. I like that unlike what everyone was expecting to happen, the spirits didn't come rushing to Korra's aid. I thought the visuals were fantastic, and despite not liking the mech itself I've got to admit seeing that canon blow apart Republic City was thrilling. Jokes (Aside from Wu's) were spot on and the music was fantastic, as was the voice acting.

Also no last second Deus Ex Machina like The Last Airbender's finale. No conveniently getting struck in just the right spot to be able to defeat the villain, no last second turtles to offer a helpful way out of a tough spot. The mech was silly but the way in which is was defeated was believable and epic enough to have left me happy.

My absolutely favourite thing though is how Korra ultimately defeated Kuvira, who herself I thought was a great villain. I think it speaks volumes about the characters growth that it wasn't through fighting that she brought Kuvira down, but by talking with her, something the 'old' Korra would never have done. Maybe the whole 'sympathetic villain chat' is another trope in itself, but at least here I thought it was well used to highlight Korra and everything she's been through throughout the series.

Overall enjoyable. It lacked the emotional gut-punch of 'The Last Agni Kai' and was a bit corny in places, but otherwise it was well put together and a good ending to a franchise I've really learned to love since I started watching it earlier this year.

I'm sad it's over.

Qui-mono995

Sep 27, 2014
Its seems that the only thing I can do is rewatch the whole series since its first episode

And yes they "do the thing" at the end. We only need the creators confirmation

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
more of people maknig up things about Korra and Asumi being gay..it's not cannon... both girls are straight.. people are reading waaaay to much into nothing..

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:
more of people maknig up things about Korra and Asumi being gay..it's not cannon... both girls are straight.. people are reading waaaay to much into nothing..
Hahahaha, because you hold hands with your guy friends, stare soulfully into their eyes, and go on vacations with them just the two of you, but it's -totally straight-.

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
crazygameguy4ever said:
It's not like they are accusing of their relationship but more of HOPING for that relationship, because reasons. Now considering they are holding hands. I guarantee someone will make a fan fiction out of it.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
PrinceOfShapeir said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Hahahaha, because you hold hands with your guy friends, stare soulfully into their eyes, and go on vacations with them just the two of you, but it's -totally straight-.
girls hug each other and hold hands all the time.. that's what girls do.. women are more emotional to one and other then us guys are.. just because a girl holds hands with her female best friend, doesn't mean she gay.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Hahahahaha, okay buddy. The next time you see a woman do -that- look in -that- pose tell me she's straight with a straight face.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I choose to believe that Korra and Asami are an item, but it feels a bit forced to me. The only other time in the series that screamed, "ROMANCE!" between those two was when Korra blushed. Everything else could have easily been written off as just two girls being friends. I honestly had no idea that these two were an item among fans until that episode.

All and all, a good episode. I'm a little disappointed that Kuvira just surrenders (she did kill all those people, after all), but hearing the unforgiving tone in Suyin's voice made it a bit more bearable. Sad to see the series go, but hopefully we'll get some comic books like we did with Avatar.

Mr.Evil

Jul 17, 2014
First off, thanks to Mike Hoffman for the reviews.

You know, I've come to think of TLoK much like I think of the Hobbit movies - good at times, almost great in a few places, but just not as good as what came before. Part of the problem with this series is that plotlines come and go too frequently, and so many characters and relationships got touched on over these four seasons that it felt like there was a lot to wrap up that never really got satisfyingly wrapped. By comparison, Avatar was a lot more focused and directed. I mean, people talk about Korra and Asami and "are they or aren't they?", but my problem is that there was barely any "they" to worry about. Hell, it practically comes out of the blue at the end, like an afterthought. I get the feeling that this was a season finale hastily turned to a series finale.

I still like the series in the end, though. It's just wasn't in the same league as Avatar.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
I choose to believe that Korra and Asami are an item, but it feels a bit forced to me. The only other time in the series that screamed, "ROMANCE!" between those two was when Korra blushed. Everything else could have easily been written off as just two girls being friends. I honestly had no idea that these two were an item among fans until that episode.

All and all, a good episode. I'm a little disappointed that Kuvira just surrenders (she did kill all those people, after all), but hearing the unforgiving tone in Suyin's voice made it a bit more bearable. Sad to see the series go, but hopefully we'll get some comic books like we did with Avatar.
I don't think they were revealing that Korra and Asami had been having a relationship off-camera with that last scene, I think that this was them essentially acknowledging a mutual attraction. There are a lot of minor things scattered at least as far back as the end of Season 3, their relationship was always far, far closer than Korra's relationship with any other character.

MasterBetty

May 21, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
You forgot to mention how Asami was the only person Korra wrote to while being an invalid. She wasn't willing to give up that connection.
Also, this http://media.tumblr.com/b20853b6c8bf6949f4f17d5c00436461/tumblr_nf0y09OI1u1qj7g7io6_500.gif
LordFeast59 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
It's not like they are accusing of their relationship but more of HOPING for that relationship, because reasons. Now considering they are holding hands. I guarantee someone will make a fan fiction out of it.
Of course it's because there are plenty of reasons to think that. How do you come to your conclusions?

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Such a shame it's all over. The Avatar universe has always been one of my favourites, weird hybrid animals, eastern spirituality and elemental martial arts. There will be more graphic novels but they don't really cut it for me, such awesome combat needs to be animated.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:
Both girls are straight? Says who? Because they both dated Mako? You are aware that bisexuality is a thing, right?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
After that end I could just predict my tumblr feed, good lord. Usually you can never have enough lesbians, but I feel like I had to draw a line somewhere. That said I felt it was reaching, but looking at those stills, N'yeah, they're doing as far as kids TV will allow these days. Plutonic hand holding my butt, I just don't see two people holding hands like that without it being something more.

All in all, I'm honestly a little underwhelmed. Still good, but great, my anti-hype softwares kicking in.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I don't think they were revealing that Korra and Asami had been having a relationship off-camera with that last scene, I think that this was them essentially acknowledging a mutual attraction. There are a lot of minor things scattered at least as far back as the end of Season 3, their relationship was always far, far closer than Korra's relationship with any other character.
This is a distinction that a lot of people just seem to be missing: no, they haven't been "a thing" in the background this whole time. If this is a confirmation (and, in my eyes, the parallels between that ending scene and the Aang/Katara kiss at the end of Last Airbender are infinitely too many for it not to be confirmation - literally everything was the same except for the fact that they didn't kiss, which, obviously, is something they might have had trouble selling Nick on letting them show), it's a confirmation of a mutual attraction/affection that, now that the immediate crisis has been solved and things are actually calm and safe for once, they might be able to see where that attraction/affection leads.

I really just loved how the ending wrapped up in terms of focusing on Korra's development, the real main plot of Book 4 (Kuvira's rise and attack were a big deal, and a very important engine for that development, but it was still very much a B plot, so I'm a bit more willing to accept some plot holes in its conclusion - final battles have never been resolved by anything besides deus ex machina or plot holes in either Avatar series, I'm not going to start being annoyed about that now). The last five minutes of the show consisted of conversations between Korra and the three people she was closest to in Republic City - Mako, Tenzin, and Asami - showing how far she has come in her relationships with all three of them, and how well she has healed and even excelled since her near-fatal encounter with the Red Lotus. Then, when she recognized what Asami was going through, she was willing to do whatever she could to help her heal, too. The potential romance was nice, and very much there, but it wasn't the important part of that scene: the important part was that it showed that Korra had, finally, been able to find personal balance within herself, with the help of those around her...and now it was time to start returning the favor. It's one of the few sequences that gets better the more I think about it.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Why is this review released so much earlier than scheduled? hmmm!?
Just kidding, this finale was awesome and basically demands attention in how they ended the series.

I sometimes honestly think A:TLA was a show that was tailored exactly for my personality. Like the show was just so awesome in exactly the way a person like me would love. Then Korra was finally coming out and I was ecstatic.

I will admit there were times my main motivation to watch the show was that "It is more Avatar," but this show has definitely evolved into its own. I will not strictly say it's the best show or better than A:TLA, but I would be hard pressed to find a show I have been invested in more.

My greatest criticism for the show is that there wasn't enough screen time for the characters to just relax and joke around. All the comic relief came cleverly, but had to be pieced in with all the calamity or just came from Bolin and Varrick. But I also think that is a compliment to the show, it shows how much I was enveloped in the show.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
And just like that I knew the second that showed that scene that the last episode would get a lot of praise for just having lesbians. I really wanted to like Korrasami too, I just felt they could of built that shit up a tad more than they did, actually show something indicating a connection beyond being friends (other than the very last minute of course). It all came across as pandering for the most part, I just wish they put a little more effort into it. Either way, I guess Korra ended on the same note it started with, mild disappointment. The quality of the show has been all over the damn place, I knew it probably wasn't going to be the next ATLA from the outset but it definitely wasn't something that came anywhere near in quality save the Wan episodes (which is funny since they were the ones that felt closest to the original). The general arc writing was a mess and the only season I can say I consistently like is Season 3.

Joccaren

Mar 29, 2011
Whilst everyone is free to believe what they want to believe, the fact of "It could be romantic or it could be platonic", in fact implies that Korrasami is NOT official. Unless, of course. Molin or something is also official, 'cause, like, they're brothers, and you ship them as brothers, so its an official shipping >.>
Otherwise, wasn't blown away by the ending, but it wasn't bad either. I think the whole giant mech really got me going "Really?", let alone the literally impossible properties they gave the damn thing. Platinum isn't the hardest of metals. Its just slightly harder than iron. The amount of things that hit that mech - its got more than a few dents in it. Additionally, firing a blast of air at the top of the mech would very easily topple it. Its a problem skyscrapers have, where they sway in the wind, even with aerodynamic designs and tens of meters of underground anchors. The big problem with bipedal mechs is they are prone to falling down, and struggling to get back up. They're unstable. It is, admittedly, non reactive, thus it not even slightly rusting from being submerged in water is ok, and its melting temperature is 400' C above that of Magma [Generally, magma can get hot enough to melt it], however the foot would have been greatly softened by the heat, and likely would have deformed from the pressure of the rest of the mech weighing down on it.
Basically, I was watching the mech thinking how ridiculous it was. Yeah the show isn't exactly grounded in reality, but generally bending and spirits have been the main magical things, not... giant... mechs... Its just... weird.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Well, Korra ended, it is no Last Airbender for sure, it's tempo and rythm is a lot shakier, Season 2 was mostly horrible and villain of the week syndrome really crippled the series. I'm still surprised that knowing they had 3 seasons they went with 3 villains without having something above them to get a bit more cohestion. I mean, who gives a fuck about the red Lotus whooahaha when it isn't referenced ever again in the final season? And Vatuu clearly won't be relevant for the rest of Korra's lifetime, hell, the whole "OH MEH GAWD! SPIRITS!" was also incredibly underutilized and another downer of wasted potential.

Kuvira was a horrible waste of a motivated gray that decided to take hard decisions that just became a fascist for the second half of the season, period, and no, a sob story at the end about "being an orphan" explains jack. I mean, if she had appeared on Season 3 fully, we had seen her with Su, seen her as caring, we could have had a much stronger transition since we would have known her, having her maybe not be a friend to Korra, but somebody that interacts with her and have a few moments of honest talk. Hell, seeing the bloody waste of space and time that Kai was, he could have been completely erased from the series, had Milo and Jiky be Jinora's wingmen and made some room to introduce Kuvira. I mean, at the end of the day, Kuvira was an ok Villain, but she had potential for so much more and it only needed a bit of groundwork.

I'm happy they went with Korrasami(and yes, it's there, anybody denying it please go look for every other cartoon series with 2 girl friends and show me any interaction that has as much intensity as the last scene in Korra, I'll tell you now, you won't find it, it's another thing that nobody still doesn't have the balls to go full out. Hell, now if they manage to do it with men, it'll be pure insanity, since lesbians tend to be more "accepted"? than gays, or at least that's kind of how it always seemed to me), but it really needed more development, there were a few nods here or there, but something a bit more fluid would have made it work a lot better, for now it just kind of seems that they went from a bit of blushing to "LOOK, THEY'LL DATE!" without going into the juicy part in the middle of those steps, so it kind of just becomes something they do to make a statement, not because it has been a story arc with an obvious conclusion to it.

At the end of the day, Korra is a fine series, but it has the problem of being from the same people that gave me Last Airbender and that makes me be a lot harsher with it than I would with other shows simply because I know they can do better. I don't know how much of this is Nicks fault and how much of this is themselves wrestling to get a narrative going. I do hope their next project isn't as shaky and definitely looking forward to it.

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
MasterBetty said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
You forgot to mention how Asami was the only person Korra wrote to while being an invalid. She wasn't willing to give up that connection.
Also, this http://media.tumblr.com/b20853b6c8bf6949f4f17d5c00436461/tumblr_nf0y09OI1u1qj7g7io6_500.gif
LordFeast59 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Of course it's because there are plenty of reasons to think that. How do you come to your conclusions?
Considering that the first thought in my mind would be the 'obvious' conclusion and thinking instead of only the two of them, I just wish that Korra will go to the Spirit world with all the new team Avatar. This is the series finale anyway, a proper goodbye with the rest of the characters would be nice.

But about that final scene, I like to think that Asami is the first and only female that can be considered as Korra's BFF while Mako and Bolin is like the potential romance that can affect her direction, responsibility and goal. Maybe that's why the writers don't want to give Korra and Mako the happy love ending, like Aang and Katara.

Kind of disappointing that they let Mako out of the picture and doesn't give him any major role (Well, all of the characters seem to receive the same treatment anyway, but still). Considering that Korra and Mako's romance already develop in the first season, it would be appropriate if it stay that way. Just to improve Mako's character instead of a wash-up for the series finale.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Mike Hoffman said:
Hey all. I've had an absolute blast writing these reviews and reading your comments. I just wanted to thank all of you who have come back here to read these, week after week. I am really going to miss this series. Well, I would, except I'll probably just rewatch it and ATLA every other year.

Y'know the Avatar subreddit plans to do 3 episodes a week starting from The Last Airbender in order to keep the subreddit alive.
If you want you could hitch onto that.
By the time it's done, Bryke may have announced something new.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
korrasami seems a little forced, but it was ok. I hope this is not the end of avatar or even korra for that matter. i think there should be more emphasis on spirits in future episodes. more about what makes them tick and what kind of society they have

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Just some nitpicks on the last episodes-

Did President Raiko, Iroh and the united force army (the foot soldiers at the barrier when the mech arrived) just sit at the sideline having a smoothies when this was going on? Ok sure they would of ended up as cannon fodders and the show being kid friendly and all but still, there should of been some soldiers defend the last people at the train station!

Speaking of the evcuation, didn't the badgemole buried back the earth behind them or did the mech got some digging tools?

I give credit that it wasn't as predictible as I expect it to be like Wu would be crown King at the last scene and we would have been given a flashback on Kuvira past. Ok I guess her verbal version on her past count but it didn't leave an impact for me to feel any sympathies toward her (she's still a ***** in my book). Also why do I get a feeling that Wu wull become the Frank Sinatra in their universe (well ok not perticually him but some famous stage singer)?

Was there really only 5 soldiers inside the mech (one at the cannon arm, two at the core and another two at the head)? Do I smell some off screen death since nobody had found their bodies during the search for Korra and Kuvira.

The marrage made sense to me despite some people disagree or they think it was rush. I'm pretty sure no one is that dedicated as Zhu Li was to Varrick without any hint of romatic feeling towards to that person especially if you had put up the many many flaws of that person! I mean look at Pepper Potts and Tony (ok sure they're not fully romatically involved but still). Also Varrick had a good long week to evaluate his life when he was given the brush off from Zhu Li.

I'm fine with the shipping at the end as I wasn't convince of MaKorra when one of the producers/ writers wanted shipped them back. I mean looking back there was some hints (Korra once mention that Asami is her only gal friend ever and she did blush when Asami compliment her new hairstyle) of it while the last episode had a strong vibe (Asami said she wouldn't handle it if she had lost both her father AND Korra and Korra personally aplogise to Asami alone for being away for so long!).

Overall I would say the writers were able to pulled it off for the most parts given that their originally intention was to be one season only. I suppose this will be another lesson that fan should just let it go than to asked for more of it in a form of a spin off/ sequel. In saying so I am pretty sure this is the last we will see of the Avatar universe in animated form (they will be more in graphic novel more) given to poor treatment the team recieve from Nick as they seen to no longer invested in the show they once had for it.

One last thing, it would of been 20% better if Korra was able to reconnect the past Avatar selves just for another sake of Aang cameo.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
It's been a really weird show with lots of very good and very bad stuff.
Last airbender was a far better show, for me at least, and felt by far more mature and thought out.

Legend of Korra is more of a teenagers phase in life, more than anything, mixed in with weird overcompensating PC stuff. I don't like how all men in that show are either useful idiots, villains or stuffy farts "that just don't get me". Meanwhile all the women are borderline superheroes, which is fine, but the contrast is too much. It's like watching an episode of MLP.

As for Korra and Asami going off into the spirit world, it seems to be an experiment in two ways; To see what nick/writers can get away with and for that sexual/romantic phase where things get a bit confusing for some people.
Either way I'm not invested in it, it's too forced. If it's just friendship, then it's a bit of an odd scene.

I don't know if the writers changed or what happened, but this has been a rollercoaster of being too inclusive, doing the right thing all the time and being too politically correct. It comes off as being fake and a really cheesy superhero comic book.
Korra doesn't seem to have learned anything else than "life is tough - deal with it" rather than learning something about herself, about her choices and her possibilities.

-

That being said, I loved the setting for the most part. I digged the atmoshpere and I was looking forwards to where they'd go with it, especially culturally and socially.
It went a bit too far with the "we just invented movies" to "release the mechasuits!" and should've stayed within certain bounds. It's poor foresight that may damage future content and make it far less believable.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Razhem said:
Well, Korra ended, it is no Last Airbender for sure, it's tempo and rythm is a lot shakier, Season 2 was mostly horrible and villain of the week syndrome really crippled the series. I'm still surprised that knowing they had 3 seasons they went with 3 villains without having something above them to get a bit more cohestion. I mean, who gives a fuck about the red Lotus whooahaha when it isn't referenced ever again in the final season? And Vatuu clearly won't be relevant for the rest of Korra's lifetime, hell, the whole "OH MEH GAWD! SPIRITS!" was also incredibly underutilized and another downer of wasted potential.

Kuvira was a horrible waste of a motivated gray that decided to take hard decisions that just became a fascist for the second half of the season, period, and no, a sob story at the end about "being an orphan" explains jack. I mean, if she had appeared on Season 3 fully, we had seen her with Su, seen her as caring, we could have had a much stronger transition since we would have known her, having her maybe not be a friend to Korra, but somebody that interacts with her and have a few moments of honest talk. Hell, seeing the bloody waste of space and time that Kai was, he could have been completely erased from the series, had Milo and Jiky be Jinora's wingmen and made some room to introduce Kuvira. I mean, at the end of the day, Kuvira was an ok Villain, but she had potential for so much more and it only needed a bit of groundwork.

I'm happy they went with Korrasami(and yes, it's there, anybody denying it please go look for every other cartoon series with 2 girl friends and show me any interaction that has as much intensity as the last scene in Korra, I'll tell you now, you won't find it, it's another thing that nobody still doesn't have the balls to go full out. Hell, now if they manage to do it with men, it'll be pure insanity, since lesbians tend to be more "accepted"? than gays, or at least that's kind of how it always seemed to me), but it really needed more development, there were a few nods here or there, but something a bit more fluid would have made it work a lot better, for now it just kind of seems that they went from a bit of blushing to "LOOK, THEY'LL DATE!" without going into the juicy part in the middle of those steps, so it kind of just becomes something they do to make a statement, not because it has been a story arc with an obvious conclusion to it.

At the end of the day, Korra is a fine series, but it has the problem of being from the same people that gave me Last Airbender and that makes me be a lot harsher with it than I would with other shows simply because I know they can do better. I don't know how much of this is Nicks fault and how much of this is themselves wrestling to get a narrative going. I do hope their next project isn't as shaky and definitely looking forward to it.
Welp, you pretty much summarized my thoughts on the series as a whole, especially the whole Korrasami part.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
I know I probably shouldn't jump in on this, so at the very least let me point out this post is just me as another member of the community jumping in on a conversation. This is not me trying to establish any sort of authority in this thread.

The show could have gone out on any number of images. Why have them turn to face each other? Why not have Mako and Bolin accompany them? Or Korra travel alone? Or something entirely different? Why this specific sequence? They chose these two characters to go on vacation together, they chose to have them hold hands, they chose to have them look into each others' eyes as golden light enveloped them. They also chose to have the camera work and the music resemble the final scene of ATLA.

When looking at creative productions, everything is (usually) very deliberate. Even more so for the last scene of the final episode of a series concluding over ten years of work. Bryke knew the message they were delivering with that ending.

Josh123914 said:
Y'know the Avatar subreddit plans to do 3 episodes a week starting from The Last Airbender in order to keep the subreddit alive.
If you want you could hitch onto that.
By the time it's done, Bryke may have announced something new.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out!

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
crazygameguy4ever said:
Except we aren't reading way too much into it. As some people have put it play the exact same scene back in your head and then imagine one of the characters is male. What would be the natural conclusion people would draw from that? That they are dating or in love right? Also being a television show its about reading into the details of the scene. The music for instance is slow and almost like a love song. In fact it is actually titled "The Avatar's Love" and is a rendition of the same song that was played when Aang and Katara kissed at the end of ATLA. Also when they enter the spirit portal they don't simply just keep holding the one hand. They turn towards each other and take the other hand. Finally the look in their eyes. That is not a normal look and you don't just gaze into your friend's eyes like that unless it is a joke. sorry but Korra and Asami are either gay or bi sexcual and they are in love with each other.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I am hoping for a comic series to tie up loose end, like what happened to Kuvira and Batar Jr.?
But yeah, I loved the ending and the final reveal of Korra and Asami as a couple and am happy that Bisexuality is getting more acceptance in the mainstream.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
UK
I can pretty much agree with everything that you said there, it was definately two of the best Korra episodes, and I would even go as far to say that I enjoyed it more than the TLA Book 3 finale. Great review.

I am sad to see it go, but at least it ended here in the spotlight instead of being dragged on until it died a slow and painful death. I am still pretty interested to see where they go from here if they decide to make some more comics in the vein of those that TLA got (and is still getting).

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
I don't know how i feel about it. To me at least the ending felt like a non committal slap in the face, then again the whole series sort of had that feeling. I know it spawns from the fact that the people holding the money jerked them around so much, we want a 12 ep mini series....naawwww make it two seasons, after the first was in production, Actually can we get two more seasons on top of that? Working with people who jerk you around like that sort of made a disjointed mess of a series. Granted the last two seasons were much MUCH better than the fist two, but that just goes to show how being told 'make two seasons at once' goes a long goddamn way.

As for the ending itself... Well it goes back to the non-commitment for me, if you look back at the past two seasons with the thought that they have a budding romance it sort of becomes a different show but when they finally get to the end, and it is just them looking each other in the eyes with hand holding... It felt hollow for all that subtle buildup. I understand a company like nick does not want to risk getting people angry, they cannot be shown to stand for anything, so they stand for nothing. But it feels like nick is the reason Korra came off as worse than TLAB, which is sad, cause there were hints of true brilliance in this series.

All in all thought, i am sad to see this be the send off to the Avatar universe. It deserved better and although korra tried, the corporate meddling was so very clear.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:

AvtrSpirit

Oct 18, 2012
So many great parts to this finale... the battle against the mech had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Didn't expect that!

Regarding Korrasami, I don't think the last shot was a "Now they are in a relationship and dating" shot... it's more like the shot of Aang and Katara in the "Cave of Two Lovers" (rather than at the end of the series). It's saying... look, there's potential here for something and both of them recognize it.

It was a very gutsy move and I'm surprised and super glad that that's what they ended it with.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Question:
What do those two finale Chinese characters mean?

K12

Dec 28, 2012
There wasn't enough build-up for the Korra-Asami "loving look" to mean very much to me... but then I am one of those people who needs things like that spelled out in bright flaming letters when it happens in real life so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I am VERY glad that Korra didn't end with Mako though.

ggundam8

Nov 8, 2010
I'm sad. Not because it is over but because it was a bad series over all. When the newness wears off and people start to look past all the razzmatazz all they will see is a disjointed poorly written mess. This series could have been great but it wasn't and that sucks.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
There is nothing like a mediocre show doing something progressive in order to stay relevant, it'll only be remembered b/c of this ending I bet on it. Legend of Korra never felt as deliberate and nuanced compared to Avatar: Last Airbender, seems like ship is something the writers came up w/ during the writing of the second to last season.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
crazygameguy4ever said:
Before this finale I was exactly the same way. In fact I didn't even know about the Korrasami conspirators until "The Blush". People who were going on about "The Blush" were bloody silly. People blush in cartoons about being complimented all the time. They are just galpals guys!

But in this episode it couldn't be any clearer unless they actually SAID "I love you". The song that plays over it? "The Avatar's Love", the camera swinging up to "The End" at the end? Exactly the same shot used at the end of Airbender. Also why WOULD the shows final moments focus on a relatively insignificant side character like Asami unless it was, yknow, "Important". I think the creators intentions are pretty crystal clear myself and I was never even a Korrasami conspirator before, I thought it was just a bunch of sad people reading too much into cartoons.

Anybody who says it's all circumstantial must know deep down that if the writers and animators were allowed (which they damn well are not) to show two women kissing they absolutely would. If they had shown that? Probably never would have aired.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I demand a 3rd series, I want to see the earth origin Avatar live in this new world that Korra has created.

that or an MMORPG that plays like a brawler and the Avatar is a character in the background who appears in different battlefields/areas during the day.

Also I don't feel that the Asami Korra was forced, they had many moments between them throughout the seasons.

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
Mike Hoffman said:

Thanks again for your review write-ups of this series! They were truly worth reading after watching whichever episode(s) it was referring to... I may not have commented on all of them, but just reading them was still worth it in my opinion...

The Legend of Korra brought forth:
-The Winds of Change
-The Bonding of Spirits
-The Balance of Relationships

Korra's legacy will bring forth a new beginning in the Avatar cycle... in the form of other non-platonic/platonic external/internal relationships not yet documented in the Avatar lore, itself...

'Tis be a glorious in-canon future to behold to those living within the Avatar Universe!

All in all, this was a great series to watch from start to finish, from its TV debut on Nick to its "online viewing only" premieres to [kinda] right back on TV at times, just now currently on one of Nick's side channel (Nicktoons), if I had to choose to re-watch this again, I will happily abridge...

ggundam8

Nov 8, 2010
Mr Companion said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Before this finale I was exactly the same way. In fact I didn't even know about the Korrasami conspirators until "The Blush". People who were going on about "The Blush" were bloody silly. People blush in cartoons about being complimented all the time. They are just galpals guys!

But in this episode it couldn't be any clearer unless they actually SAID "I love you". The song that plays over it? "The Avatar's Love", the camera swinging up to "The End" at the end? Exactly the same shot used at the end of Airbender. Also why WOULD the shows final moments focus on a relatively insignificant side character like Asami unless it was, yknow, "Important". I think the creators intentions are pretty crystal clear myself and I was never even a Korrasami conspirator before, I thought it was just a bunch of sad people reading too much into cartoons.

Anybody who says it's all circumstantial must know deep down that if the writers and animators were allowed (which they damn well are not) to show two women kissing they absolutely would. If they had shown that? Probably never would have aired.
And if they did kiss it would be terrible. There was no build to it like everything else in this series. They always tell and don't show. I have a hard time believing any of them are even really friends let alone soon to be romantic interest. What a mess.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
I think I just find it odd how Korra and Asami became a thing in the first place. Korra basically stole Mako from Asami and then showed a bit of derision towards each other in the first season. I guess the hardcore shippers latched onto the idea of them being an item after they showed a bit a friendship towards each other. In the end the relationship as it is makes them feel like tactical lesbians where they can make it subtle as possible to the point they can deny it while winking heartily towards the shippers, basically they're having their cake and eating too. Either way, seems to be working out for them, everyone is praising the episode (some even saying it's a masterpiece) because how oh so "progressive" it is when it was honestly weaker than most of season 4. As I said before, I just really wished they ignored all the romance bullshit like they have been doing for the past season and a half. But instead they decided to tack it on at the last possible moment to generate as much possible discussion afterwards.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
K12 said:
There wasn't enough build-up for the Korra-Asami "loving look" to mean very much to me... but then I am one of those people who needs things like that spelled out in bright flaming letters when it happens in real life so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I am VERY glad that Korra didn't end with Mako though.
lol. Its alright. In real life I suck at that too. On screen though I've gotten better at it. Its the subtle stuff. Like just the good talking chemistry they had in season 3. Who Korra chose to write to exclusively or the small blush she had when Asami complimented her new hair style. Thing is its the small stuff that put that notion in people's minds. Now I think the reason people blew up about it being real is the expectations. Sure small steps and hints at a relationship with Korra and Asami but its on Nick.

No one believes for one second that you will actually do that. So you can get away with teases like Korra's small blush and stuff because its a tease and they've been known to tease us before such as with the story of Zuko's mother in the very first season. That's why when they did it people blew up. Our expectations of what would happen were replaced by the something we wished would happen and because of their natural chemistry since day 1 it was very believable and not forced. If you know your audience and know what their expectations will be you can very effectively pull the rug out from under them and have them in the palm of your hand basically. Again a lot of this just came from catching the subtle stuff which you admitted when it comes to this you need it spelled out.

I don't know where I was really going with this. Maybe a lesson on learning to catch subtle cues in animation or still finding a way to gush at how expertly this was done at least to me it was expertly done. I think the one thing people will agree on. These guys had balls of freaking steal.....scratch that. Balls of adamantium with the stuff they got away with in this entire series.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I was kindof disappointed that Korra didn't regain her connections to the previous avatars, but it's enough of a satisfying ending. Considering I hadn't seen Avatar since the first book was broadcast on Nickelodeon however many years ago, it was a good way to end a month of watching the entire series.

Will I re-watch it again? After I re-watch all 400-some episodes of Dragonball again.

Oct 22, 2011
It was an okay finale. Not a masterpiece and not even close to ATLA's grande finale. Nice Book Ends ending, though i think i like s3 finale better.

karloss01 said:
Also I don't feel that the Asami Korra was forced, they had many moments between them throughout the seasons.
It wasn't forced, but it didn't seem planned from the very beginning like some people implied either. It felt to me the writers left an open door for Korra/Asami relationship to go this way with s3 ending, and decided to take it to the next level in s4.

That being said, i'm still sad it has ended. Curse you withdrawal syndrome.

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
I am seriously bummed that this may be the end of the Avatar animated series. It may not be the end of the universe, but all the games are terrible and there's a movie we don't talk about. To me they are the perfect cartoon for the sum of their parts... so yeah, it's just kind of sad.

As far as the finale goes, you could say it was Korra turned up to 11. Thoroughly enjoyable, and only slightly blemished by the fact that it wasn't the ending the series deserved. Also coming into the last 2 minutes spoiler free, was like taking an arrow right in the feels. It really makes more sense out of the whole series. I also don't think it counts as a spoiler in a series with so little emphasis on romance, as much as relationships and emotion.

Perfect ending really sums it up. However, if Korra would have wound up with Mako it might have soured the series for me.

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
There is a similarity when comparing both the ATLA and LOK. It is a story of the individual who is different when comparing to the past Avatar and how they have to cope with the obstacle on their own, when the guidance of the past Avatar isn't always the best for them, more like the reference of what an Avatar could be.

Aang is a little kid and become the last Airbender, not knowing how a kid will able to save the world. He is still considered a naive boy in the start of the show. Long enough, he learns how to be mature for a young age. The comic shows more of his challenge of being a young Avatar. This may sound like a typical story and most people may think it is not sound that exciting in paper, but damn the show done everything perfectly.

When comparing to Korra, she can be considered a tough but not quiet matured Avatar even though she already is quite impressive in mastering the elements. She's like the spoiled brat who hasn't yet to learn what to do or not do when making decisions and very vulnerable when coping with her consequences and experience, just like how a teenage girl usually does. Plus, as being the next Avatar after Aang, with how the world is quite different than it used to, it is understandable that she hasn't yet know what obstacle she has to face.

This is what similar about Aang and Korra, their challenge is different but as a kid or family show, they kind of doing their job right. So when looking at how Korra and Asami holding hands, let's just say how that's what young females do. Sometimes they want the time with their own and Mako and Bolin may considered best friend, but they are not girls like them. The focus of the whole LOK is how Korra, as a girl, a vulnerable one at that, learn from her experience to become much better, and Asami can be the best support and reflection for her. This can also be applied for Kuvira who is also a female and have the same reflection with Korra.

I write this to make sure that the SHIPPING is kinda pointless, even by the show writer's standard, because there are no more Legend Of Korra, maybe there's potential for the comic to be publish, and the conclusion maybe come from there. But, we'll have to wait of course. If there is another Avatar show, I wonder what he or she be like. If there is one, hoping for a more ruthless Avatar that can consider difficult to be noble. Just show a different kind of story, because I don't remember the requirement to be an Avatar as a good person.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Mr Companion said:
crazygameguy4ever said:

sorry but your opinion is wrong Korra and Assmai are both straight.. their not gay or Bi.. their female best friends, nothing more

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
crazygameguy4ever said:
sorry but your opinion is wrong Korra and Assmai are both straight.. their not gay or Bi.. their female best friends, nothing more
Bryke himself linked an article that praises them for a homosexual / bisexual couple. You can shout your denial but if the creator stand by this then you are in the wrong.

Eric Larson

Dec 21, 2014
Pickapok said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Both girls are straight? Says who? Because they both dated Mako? You are aware that bisexuality is a thing, right?
I always thought they were both Makosexual or something. Or maybe they were both always lesbians but Mako was such a stunning specimen that he makes everyone want him regardless of their sexual orientation. I should probably stop talking now.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:
Mr Companion said:
crazygameguy4ever said:

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Eric Larson said:
Pickapok said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
I always thought they were both Makosexual or something. Or maybe they were both always lesbians but Mako was such a stunning specimen that he makes everyone want him regardless of their sexual orientation. I should probably stop talking now.
I honestly think they are both gay. The only guy either of them has ever dated was Mako and for both of them it was a short lived disaster. Almost as if they were desperately unhappy in a heterosexual relationship but couldn't figure out why.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time it took someone a little while to realize their orientation.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
AntiChri5 said:
Eric Larson said:
Pickapok said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
I honestly think they are both gay. The only guy either of them has ever dated was Mako and for both of them it was a short lived disaster. Almost as if they were desperately unhappy in a heterosexual relationship but couldn't figure out why.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time it took someone a little while to realize their orientation.
Yeah. I mean the ending is ambiguous yet at the same time them coupling up is implied with a sledgehammer as another thread put it. To me they both are straight up gay. Sure it means they wouldn't be any guy's waifu or whatever but its still awesome. God I really can't wait to see what these guys will do next. Hopefully something just as awesome. If Avatar The Last Airbender was creating a perfectly realized adventure to save the world that is a send up of Japanese animation Korra is seeing just how much they can actually get away with on screen and when you think about what happened in all 4 books these guys didn't have balls of steel. They had stones of fucking adamantium.

Jul 9, 2011
KazeAizen said:
Sure it means they wouldn't be any guy's waifu or whatever but its still awesome.
You underestimate the power of the Waifu Wars.

For whatever reason, I've started equating my feelings on this finale to Schubert's Ave Maria [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y]. I didn't think I'd be sad that it's done, because I really, really, REALLY hated a lot of it, but now that it's over, I do find myself a bit disappointed that there won't be any more. I think a lot of it has to do with the whole Korrasami angle FINALLY being vindicated and now we're in the perfect position to explore the future of their relationship, and... nothing. I'm still of the opinion that the entire season should have just been The Misadventures of Korra and Asami.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So, I found this on another site and I think it's a great 'get over it' to the 'OMG THAR JUS FRINEDS!' peoples.

Yes, no, maybe, pineapples?

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Just imagine Mako's ego. Two women he dated and both end up gay/bi for each other. That's gona leave a mark. hehehe.*

Poor Mako.

I do feel somewhat compelled to watched S3 and 4 now.

*: This is a joke JIC the overly sensitive people out there miss it.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I love how they went the Pacific Rim direction at the end - subtle, poignant and open ended. Are they an item? I personally think so, but it's not explicitly stated or shown on the show. It is left up to the audience to decide the depth of the relationship. And while I personally see it as a sexual relationship (or, at the very least, a loving relationship that goes beyond friendship), I can respect others who say that I'm reading too much into it.

In some ways I see this as the exact opposite of the Mass Effect trilogy and LOST tv show endings; here, the ending makes me willing to gloss over most of the problems I've had with the show from day 1. I've been a fairly vocal critic of the show, particularly Season 1 and part of Season 2, but I think I'm going to look far more favourably on the show when I rewatch it in the future simply because the ending was pretty much perfect to me. I'm glad I stuck with it through thick and thin.

Jul 9, 2011
Tanis said:
So, I found this on another site and I think it's a great 'get over it' to the 'OMG THAR JUS FRINEDS!' peoples.
That Adam Poole guy goes by the pseudonym crazygameguy4ever on these here forums, and he's spent the past couple days vehemently refuting any possibility of romantic subtext between Korra and Asami (to say nothing of its assured certainty). It's really quite the sight to see. The level of denial fueling that sentiment is nearly laudable.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
May 26, 2020
Country
United States
I admit, I'm torn on the final pairing. On the one hand, I hate that it reinforces the old "if a girl has masculine interests/tomboyish personality traits of course she's gay!" stereotype, and Korra and Asami fit the tired "manly girl and girly girl" roles.

On the other hand, it's awesome because we almost never see same-sex romance in the mainstream, and the two of them had one of the better developed relationships on the show (though that's not saying much. in both ATLA and Korra, the writers have fumbled at romance)

I think my reaction is a net positive though. I enjoyed the feelings of the ending, and my only real complaint was that Kuvira's plot got tied up a bit suddenly.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Tono Makt said:
I love how they went the Pacific Rim direction at the end - subtle, poignant and open ended. Are they an item? I personally think so, but it's not explicitly stated or shown on the show. It is left up to the audience to decide the depth of the relationship. And while I personally see it as a sexual relationship (or, at the very least, a loving relationship that goes beyond friendship), I can respect others who say that I'm reading too much into it.

In some ways I see this as the exact opposite of the Mass Effect trilogy and LOST tv show endings; here, the ending makes me willing to gloss over most of the problems I've had with the show from day 1. I've been a fairly vocal critic of the show, particularly Season 1 and part of Season 2, but I think I'm going to look far more favourably on the show when I rewatch it in the future simply because the ending was pretty much perfect to me. I'm glad I stuck with it through thick and thin.
Its been said numerous times that season 1 and 2 suffered a lot from production shenanigans on the part of Nick. Like many good franchises or stories Avatar The Last Airbender was lightning in a bottle. No way in hell you are going to top that. So you don't. If Avatar is a perfectly crafted fantasy epic for kids to call their Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings then Korra I choose to view as the creators going. "Let's see just how much we can get away with." When you go back over Korra the things they did start to add up and when I finished the final tally my jaw dropped because I literally could not believe the stones these guys had to do what they did. I'm even including that scene where Korra is poisoned which is the closest the series has come to horror since "The Puppetmaster" yet I find it creepier because its psychological horror. Needless to say I think once its out TLA and Korra will be one of those things that will just be cool to watch cover to cover.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Country
Texas
My take on the Korrasami ending is that the creators certainly INTENDED for it to be a romantic ending. So the relationship is canon. But the build up to it is lacking. Writing letters and compliments on hair do not a relationship make. I've got a best friend I could talk to for hours. When he starts doing a random jig in the middle of a room, I have no problem going up there and dancing right by him. No other person, man or woman, in the world would I do that with. However, neither of us is gay. It's just what being best friends is about. Korra and Asami having a romantic relationship feels forced because there's been little build up and what little there has been is indistinguishable from close friendship.

I chalk it up as the creators doing their best within the restrictions set on them. After all of the bull shit Nickelodeon has forced on them for LoK's run, no fucking way were they going to get the greenlight for a lesbian romance in a mainstream kid's show. I don't hold that against them. I think that ending moment was beautiful. But it isn't all that it should be, and that's a shame.

The rest of the ending is great. Everybody has moments, General Iroh finally shows up again even if he is dreadfully underutilized, Hobo Guy shows up and is WONDERFULLY utilized, the animation, visuals, and sound were all wonderful. A great cap to a great series. The series isn't for everyone, but I can appreciate it. I don't know if its better than The Last Airbender, but I love it more. TLA always felt like rather standard Saturday cartoon fare. Stunningly executed, but still just standard. TLA aimed to be more thoughtful, more emotional. It didn't always work, but I appreciate the effort, and when it does work it shines like no other cartoon I can think of, except maybe for the episode "Code of Hero" in Beast Wars.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
While quite the bumpy ride I think Korra ended pretty strongly with these last two seasons.
I enjoyed it and I actually came to really like Korra as a character.

As for the Korra Asami thing being somewhat understated I'm going to be cynical and guess it's probably so subtle and understated because that's just how much they were able to get away with. Making an incredibly obvious mutual attraction between same sex characters was probably not allowed so they were forced to work with implications and such to build their romance.
That last scene clinches it for me though.

dateryu

Aug 22, 2011
This episode was atrocious. In fact most of the series sucks compared to the original. Most things they did to differentiate them failed miserably.
It's weird though, season one had a great start, season two had a great middle, and season 3 had a great end. Season 4 was mediocre at best but if you took the best parts of the first 3 and made 4 seasons out of that, you'd have an amazing series.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Ukomba said:
I dont know, all the speculation just makes me think of this
Have you actually watched the episode? That's really, -really- not what's going on.
Of course I have, and it's just not what I saw, sorry. Not just in the last episode but at any point during the 4 seasons.

That's what's really important too. I never saw any sort of build up to it in any previous episodes. Even if the producers came out tomorrow and said that was exactly what they intended I'd have a problem with it since it would have come out of left field. I started looking, there were never any shy glances, subtle flirting, blushes, any of show of attraction of any kind really. And not just with each other, neither of them showed any interest in any female character. To me they just looked like best friends, and Korra trying to console her after the sudden, violent loss of her father.

I know people love shipping, and that's fine I don't mean to rain on that. My wife still insists on shipping Zuko and Katara. (I even funded TSSSF ;) )

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Oh hey look [http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/105916326500/korrasami-confirmed-now-that-korra-and-asamis], DiMartino, the co-creator of the series, confirms that they're a couple.

Our intention with the last scene was to make it as clear as possible that yes, Korra and Asami have romantic feelings for each other. The moment where they enter the spirit portal symbolizes their evolution from being friends to being a couple. Many news outlets, bloggers, and fans picked up on this and didn?t find it ambiguous. For the most part, it seems like the point of the scene was understood and additional commentary wasn?t really needed from Bryan or me. But in case people were still questioning what happened in the last scene, I wanted to make a clear verbal statement to complement the show?s visual one. I get that not everyone will be happy with the way that the show ended. Rarely does a series finale of any show satisfy that show?s fans, so I?ve been pleasantly surprised with the positive articles and posts I?ve seen about Korra?s finale.
and here's a word from the other creator [http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace]

god, its like DOUBLE canon now

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
gandhi the peacemake said:
Ukomba said:
See post above mine. But more importantly, good call on the MLP bit. I think the fan personalities that have been created for the two work well together, but still, clever pic.
Very true. And the latest Equestria Girls Movie has the creators having a bit of fun with it. Not that I'm a fan of the pairing, I r
undeadsuitor said:
Oh hey look [http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/105916326500/korrasami-confirmed-now-that-korra-and-asamis], DiMartino, the co-creator of the series, confirms that they're a couple.

Our intention with the last scene was to make it as clear as possible that yes, Korra and Asami have romantic feelings for each other. The moment where they enter the spirit portal symbolizes their evolution from being friends to being a couple. Many news outlets, bloggers, and fans picked up on this and didn?t find it ambiguous. For the most part, it seems like the point of the scene was understood and additional commentary wasn?t really needed from Bryan or me. But in case people were still questioning what happened in the last scene, I wanted to make a clear verbal statement to complement the show?s visual one. I get that not everyone will be happy with the way that the show ended. Rarely does a series finale of any show satisfy that show?s fans, so I?ve been pleasantly surprised with the positive articles and posts I?ve seen about Korra?s finale.
and here's a word from the other creator [http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace]

You might have missed the part where I indicated that I didn't care what they say about it. My problem isn't with the pairing, or the intent, but the lack of build up. There was no hint of this, right up until they suddenly be came a thing. If the creators want to say it's canon, that's fine but my complaint then becomes poor writing on their part. You can't just Deus-exing them into a couple like that without it being jarring when it's contrary to their personas leading up to it. I'd have the same problem if Asami suddenly was dating Bolin at the end. It's like an after thought put in to be edgy or something.

Jul 9, 2011
Ukomba said:
You might have missed the part where I indicated that I didn't care what they say about it.
I think it was this very same thread (or, you know, one of the other half-dozen threads about this show) where I talked about how Word of God isn't exactly the be-all-end-all that people might think it is.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Ukomba said:
You might have missed the part where I indicated that I didn't care what they say about it. My problem isn't with the pairing, or the intent, but the lack of build up. There was no hint of this, right up until they suddenly be came a thing. If the creators want to say it's canon, that's fine but my complaint then becomes poor writing on their part. You can't just Deus-exing them into a couple like that without it being jarring when it's contrary to their personas leading up to it. I'd have the same problem if Asami suddenly was dating Bolin at the end. It's like an after thought put in to be edgy or something.
You seem to have missed the part where there was two entire seasons of build up. You know, all that time they spent together, Asami watching over Korra as she meditates, Asami taking care of a handicapped Korra, Asami asking if Korra wants her to come with her to the South Pole, Korra writing to only Asami, Asami complimenting Korra's hair, Korra blushing and complimenting her back, and the two of them fighting about how long Korra's been gone.

Since this isn't a relationship that's going from complete strangers to lovers, you shouldn't really expect something as sudden and overt as what happened with Korra and Mako. Not to mention that the creators seemed to have taken the criticism about the romance subplot taking up too much space in comparison with the actual plot in the first season.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Ukomba said:
I didn't quote you, I wasn't talking to you.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
so despite all the things that happened in the series all the cool fights and characters, all that anybody can talk about is about KorrAsami... look NanoFate did this long before Korra ever did can we instead talk about how awesome the show was for getting away from The Last Airbender and doing something totally different?

I'm really hoping Meelo gets his own show at some point

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
crazygameguy4ever said:
Mr Companion said:
crazygameguy4ever said:

If my opinion is wrong then creators are also wrong because they came out and said it was a romantic relationship and ending. Here are the links.
http://mikedimartinostory.com/2014/12/22/korrasami-confirmed/
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

I'm not sure why you are in such vigorous denial. Do you have some kind of religious thing against it?
Personally like the writers themselves I thought it was pretty unambiguous but I guess some people hate the idea so much they would rather deny it's existence. It's going to take the writers personally animating official henti before some people will accept it.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
This was a pretty bad series finale. It was 30 mins of a season finale + 10 mins of, "quick, lets try to wrap up all this other stuff!" Parts didn't make sense (Bolin can officiate weddings? Asami's dad dies and then 5 mins later she's partying, followed by 10 seconds of sad, then, lets vacation!), it felt rushed (could have used one more episode to actually wrap the season up), and unlike ATLA, the hwole show just never really felt like it had a solid direction. Korra was possibly the worst avatar ever, characters never quite felt like they had established personalities, and the "villain a season" thing made it so it never quite felt like we had a chance to get to know anyone or establish a relationship before it was onto the next big bad guy.

I know we were never going to get the first series again, it was too perfect to replicate how amazing that was. But I kept holding out hope that Korra would at least close in on it. It sadly never did.

("fun" fact: we made sure to let 3 weeks of episodes build up before watching each time, because there were too many times where 2 episodes in a row would be horrible and at least by waiting for 3, we could guarantee getting a decent episode)

Mar 8, 2012
schmulki said:
This was a pretty bad series finale. It was 30 mins of a season finale + 10 mins of, "quick, lets try to wrap up all this other stuff!" Parts didn't make sense (Bolin can officiate weddings? Asami's dad dies and then 5 mins later she's partying, followed by 10 seconds of sad, then, lets vacation!), it felt rushed (could have used one more episode to actually wrap the season up), and unlike ATLA, the hwole show just never really felt like it had a solid direction. Korra was possibly the worst avatar ever, characters never quite felt like they had established personalities, and the "villain a season" thing made it so it never quite felt like we had a chance to get to know anyone or establish a relationship before it was onto the next big bad guy.

I know we were never going to get the first series again, it was too perfect to replicate how amazing that was. But I kept holding out hope that Korra would at least close in on it. It sadly never did.

("fun" fact: we made sure to let 3 weeks of episodes build up before watching each time, because there were too many times where 2 episodes in a row would be horrible and at least by waiting for 3, we could guarantee getting a decent episode)
The entire series felt rushed. Reducing each season order from 20 episodes down to only 13 means a lot of development has to be curtailed to fit the new runtimme. Each season also dealt with very specific threats; none of which tied together, not even tangentaly. It's a VERY different series, which isn't a bad thing, but the two will inevitably be compared.

I can deal with the girls being bisexual and in a relationship (my wife is bi), but I honestly didn't see as much of the relationship building as others have. I'm not an avid shipper, and the ending feels forced to me; like it was intended specifically for the shippers. Maybe it was another factor of time constraints, but honestly I'm surprised we didn't get more of Mako and Asami trying out things out again after that brief rekindling in Season 2 and the nudging by his grandma in Season 3. Even just an acknowledgement would have been nice.

I'm also shocked, and a little disapointed, they didn't kill Mako off in the finale.

TL;DR

For a series billed as "The Legend of Korra," I feel as if the reduced runtime of the various sagas hurt the narrative which ultimately creates the legend. The major plot beats necessary to resolve the central conflicts are all hit with aplomb, but the subplots are not; and to end the series with an underveloped subplot resolution is...weak.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
crazygameguy4ever said:
While we cant really know, it seemed like a pretty clear direction to me.

And I loved it. It was subtle enough to not be in your face, and direct enough to give kids an idea that this is ok.

More good rolemodels like this would be great wether its for gays or bisexuals. Very mature and well done by Nick I must say. Its probably the most impressive scene in the entire series.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Ukomba said:
gandhi the peacemake said:
Ukomba said:
See post above mine. But more importantly, good call on the MLP bit. I think the fan personalities that have been created for the two work well together, but still, clever pic.
Very true. And the latest Equestria Girls Movie has the creators having a bit of fun with it. Not that I'm a fan of the pairing, I r
undeadsuitor said:

I think you're confusing romantic feelings for a fully developed romance/marriage. What we saw in the end was the START of Korra and Asamis relationship. And I'd say that if you rewatch some episodes its been pretty clear who Korra has been most happy to see coming back to R-City.

This is why they were going on a journey together, to explore those feelings and get some privacy. There was no ring on anyones finger, they were both starting out.

Captcha: How about that!

How about that indeed captcha. Its a good time to be a TV-viewer thats for sure.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I didn't have that huge a problem with the coupling (BioWare fan for life!). My problem is that there wasn't enough set up. Yes, I know people try to say there were hints, but they weren't enough. The "hints" came across as them becoming sisters, not lovers. 8 mins of film over the course of 3 seasons (1st doesn't count) is NOT enough setup for a relationship!

As it stands, the moment comes across more as a publicity stunt, not sincere.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
" A Fantastic Finale With a Perfect Ending"

Really? Do you just have insanely low standards or are you one of those worthless shippers who is declaring this the best thing ever because two non-characters held hands at the end with no justification or build up?

Korra has been, in basically every aspect, sub-par compared to ATLA. The third season was great, but the first season was a pacing nightmare and ended with a Deus Ex Machina. The Second season was just plain fucking horrible, and the fourth season meandered mindlessly and shamelessly put pandering to the fanbase before story cohesion.

You people are so busy jerking off over Korrasami you apparently have forgotten that that particular relationship had zero development, that Asami is a fucking non-character whose only traits are "Doormat" and "Suffering", and that the ending of the show involved a giant robot suit made of platinum firing death lasers. A premise that was brought up as a satirical joke months before the finale.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Seracen said:
I didn't have that huge a problem with the coupling (BioWare fan for life!). My problem is that there wasn't enough set up. Yes, I know people try to say there were hints, but they weren't enough. The "hints" came across as them becoming sisters, not lovers. 8 mins of film over the course of 3 seasons (1st doesn't count) is NOT enough setup for a relationship!

As it stands, the moment comes across more as a publicity stunt, not sincere.
This is an important point. Because people are crying "But it was set up! But it was hinted! You're just looking at it through hetero lenses (Actual line from one of the writers), you bigot!"

And here's the thing: Even if we go back and look at all their interactions as sexual or romantic attraction (Many of which it seems very questionable to do), hints and hindsight do not a relationship make.

They basically went from a handful of vague instances of flirting over the course of like 8 years in universe to straight up eloping with nothing in between. That's poor writing, pure and simple. Sure, the vast majority of the characters are basically cardboard models with one or two defining traits, and sure the romances have basically always been unwarranted (Why did she get together with mako? What do they have in common? What do they even fucking do when they're not saving the world?) but at least they had some set up, weak as it was.

You wanna end on a lesbian romance? Go for it. But for god sake don't just fart it out at the very end of the last episode; because now it seems like the creators cared FAR more about making a bunch of 14 year old girls (and creepy obsessive 30 year old fans getting vicarious emotional experiences) squeal with poorly reasoned delight, rather then making the story coherent.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Piecewise said:

Really? Do you just have insanely low standards or are you one of those worthless shippers who is declaring this the best thing ever because two non-characters held hands at the end with no justification or build up?

Korra has been, in basically every aspect, sub-par compared to ATLA. The third season was great, but the first season was a pacing nightmare and ended with a Deus Ex Machina. The Second season was just plain fucking horrible, and the fourth season meandered mindlessly and shamelessly put pandering to the fanbase before story cohesion.

You people are so busy jerking off over Korrasami you apparently have forgotten that that particular relationship had zero development, that Asami is a fucking non-character whose only traits are "Doormat" and "Suffering", and that the ending of the show involved a giant robot suit made of platinum firing death lasers. A premise that was brought up as a satirical joke months before the finale.
Yeah. People are totally going to take you seriously when you start off your comment with an insult.

The first season ended with a Deus Ex Machina eh? Oh its not like Avatar the Last Airbender did that to end its series. Not at all. Also I don't see how season 4 pandered to the fanbase instead of putting story first. If by pandering you mean putting Korra and Asami together or including Toph then you might have a point. Except it was brief with Toph and they didn't beat you over the head with other.

Yes. That particular relationship had absolutely zero development. You are right. Its not like they palled around at all during season 1 and 2. Its not like they clearly had the best chemistry out of all the character for two solid seasons. Of course Asami is a doormat. Not like she offered to take Korra around on her family's personal race track in a car, or console Korra with letters while she was away, or be one of the smartest people the show has ever had.

Your problem with the suit is what now? Not like the Fire Nation built a big freaking drill 70 years prior of about equivalent size going off of existing tech.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I was behind Korrasami from the first hint, but I didn't think Nick would have the mivonks to actually go through with it.

Mumbly

Dec 26, 2014
Best ending in the entire series. Oh, and Korra and Asami falling for each other? Hell, I wasn't surprised by the Varrick/Zhu Li pairing, so I saw Korrasami happening from miles away. Or maybe that was wishful thinking.

I find it funny how people are making this about sexuality and sexual preference. I'm willing to bet money that if you put them in the same room with a dozen of "Objectively sexiest people" of each gender, they'd still fall for each other instead. It's not about whether they "like guys" or "like girls". It's about that they love each other for who they are as a person, not for what gender they are.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
KazeAizen said:
Piecewise said:

Yeah. People are totally going to take you seriously when you start off your comment with an insult.

The first season ended with a Deus Ex Machina eh? Oh its not like Avatar the Last Airbender did that to end its series. Not at all. Also I don't see how season 4 pandered to the fanbase instead of putting story first. If by pandering you mean putting Korra and Asami together or including Toph then you might have a point. Except it was brief with Toph and they didn't beat you over the head with other.

Yes. That particular relationship had absolutely zero development. You are right. Its not like they palled around at all during season 1 and 2. Its not like they clearly had the best chemistry out of all the character for two solid seasons. Of course Asami is a doormat. Not like she offered to take Korra around on her family's personal race track in a car, or console Korra with letters while she was away, or be one of the smartest people the show has ever had.

Your problem with the suit is what now? Not like the Fire Nation built a big freaking drill 70 years prior of about equivalent size going off of existing tech.
Ok, lets do this:

1.Just because ATLA had dumb decisions it doesn't make it ok for Korra to have worse ones.

Yes. ATLA's spirit bending and magic rock was dumb. It was. They should have set spirit bending up far in advance and not had the rock at all. The fact that it DID does not some how make Korra's bizarre choices any more acceptable. The only difference is that ATLA was a very strong series with a handful of stupid choices, while Korra was a middling series with many more stupid choices, including a few that basically ruined the lore of the series, decisions which I could violently rant about for days because they were so stupid and detrimental. And no, this relationship wasn't one of them. In terms of terrible, the Korra/asami shit is meh, but it is still bad because everyone is praising a detriment as a positive.

2. Pandering

The problem is that they introduced Toph, hyped her up, and then had her do basically nothing. The poison was a red herring, her advice was questionable (And Korra ended up ignoring it) and her actions in combat were basically negligible, save for what amounted to throwing a smoke bomb so everyone could run away. Not to mention the fact that her character hadn't really evolved in the 70 odd years since the show ended, and her problems with her daughters were resolved in like 30 seconds with one apology and a hug.

The point is that she was there because fans wanted her to be there, not because she had any major part to play. There were many, much better ways to handle her if you wanted to bring her back, and tons of stuff to do without her. But she has to show up and act like toph because fan service.

3.Korra and Asami's Development and chemistry.

Ok, first, Asami is a non-character. Tell me, what are her hobbies? Her Likes and dislikes? What does she do when she's not using her inexplicable kung-fu or being dragged out to bow down to one of the other characters or be used as a plot device? Why, exactly, were her and Mako dating? Why did she want to get back with him? (Why would anyone want to get with the boring cyborg non-human that is mako?) Asami exists to do one of three things
Invent things because the plot needs a gadget.
Be a plot device, usually via suffering
Be the third in a love triangle (IT HAPPENS TWICE!), or support another character, usually for no reason.
We don't really know anything about the lady, which is really weird considering she's apparently the romantic lead.

And yes, Korra and Asami DO get development. They do pal around. I'm gonna laugh at that chemistry comment because Korra has all the chemistry of a noble gas; she's boring and monotone, unless she's screaming or freaking out or jobbing it up to extend the series.

Regardless, thats not the point. The point is that their relationship wasn't developed enough to earn the ending. Aang and Katara's relationship took fucking three seasons to get to a goddamn kiss. Three seasons of Aang saying he loved the girl. Korra and asami have a few flirty moments over the course of like 8 in universe YEARS and then suddenly they're soul mates and lovers eloping to the land of shitty generic spirits. Hell, even the "Hints" people are banging on about are silly. She returned one letter, she complimented her hair, and she said they were friends. Woop woop, guess thats true love. Oh, she offered to use her massive fortune to help Korra get better and then actually did nothing? Neat. Korra should have gone with katara; least she actually did something.

The thing is this: You don't develop a relationship with hints. Thats not development. A handful of instances of flirting spread out over a huge period of time isn't the sort of thing you make a convincing relationship out of; and it's definitely not the sort of thing you make the ending romance and scene out of.

Seriously, how do you think this is acceptable or good? Have you never read a book? Do you not know what relationships are actually like? I'm not trying to insult you but I don't see how you can accept this shit as acceptable characterization and plot development unless you basically have nothing worthwhile to compare it to. Even the tripe that is Game of Thrones is better then this.

4.Mech

My problem with the suit is that it's a 20 story tall bipedial mech that was conjured out of nowhere with out anyone IN THE ENTIRE WORLD noticing it. A Mech made of Platinum, which should be worth something like the GNP of the entire world, with a main weapon they only just finished making less then two weeks ago yet have a completely functional firing system for. A mech that, despite the horrible balance issues inherent in a biped design, isn't beaten by just being shoved over.

A MECH WITH A FUCKING GLASS COCKPIT. A glass cock pit that they, rather then simply breaking into with any one of their DOZENS OF PEOPLE THAT CAN FUCKING FLY, INCLUDING THE AVATAR, force yet another scene of asami suffering by pointlessly killing her father in order to open up a hole in the armor.

So yes, the drill was dumb, but at least it felt like a big, slow, lumbering, single use automota, not a fucking pacific rim jaeger pulled out of goddang nowhere.

Also korra's stubborn refusal to back down destroyed the entire city and killed unknown thousands, while destroying the livelihood and possessions of the rest of them.

Oh well, at least it didn't end with korra ruining a visual metaphor from the last series and using it's corpse to fight satan. Oh god fuck season two.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Piecewise said:
Gotta agree with you here. I only recently powered through the four seasons a little while ago. I liked Season one a lot despite the flaws, two I liked as well, but three and four to me were just not good to me. As I think about the series over time, I dislike it more and more, much which you described.

While there were decisions that caused the series to be more jumbled than it should've, each season itself had problems. One had a interesting premise and setting, but there was to much stuff going on at once to make each point actually stand out. While I didn't mind the ending of the season (mainly how Amon was defeated and getting the powers back), overall it wasn't satisfying.

Two had an interesting set up, but the villain was bland, which I think if Verik was the central villain, with Korra doing Avatar stuff with a war on the loom by an unknown force, it would've been much better.

Three was dreadful now that I think of it. 4 villains that are huge threats, which three of them get taken out with ease. So much time was focused on the airbender stuff and the Beifongs, that the villains had no development. Motivation was vague and the whole revolution thing didn't go anywhere in the season. The best I can give for the whole group is that the leader was into philosophy. Only good thing was with Lyn and Su, and that wasn't that well done.

Four was worse, as the villain was supposed to be a great uniter, but we see nothing in how she had the ability to do something like that. Korra's stuff with getting through her PTSD was not done well, with Toph giving vague hints and her magically getting better, but not till later. All character stuff was bland and not well done, especially Bolin and his GF, as she seemed to be a bit petty about the whole thing, and while I liked Bolin enough, he is dumb as rocks.

I wanted to like Korra, but when the first two seasons with all its flaws are better then the second two seasons, that's a problem. I might try watching both series again at some point, but it might be hard to get through Korra again.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Piecewise said:
Hate rant
You really expect me to counter every one of your points by writing a wall of text like you knowing full well you've already made up your mind?

Mumbly

Dec 26, 2014
KazeAizen said:
Piecewise said:
Hate rant
You really expect me to counter every one of your points by writing a wall of text like you knowing full well you've already made up your mind?
I'd guess that, no, he was rather hoping you'd do exactly what you did so he can now say "Ha! Told you! You can't even prove me wrong! Ah-ha-ha! Ha-ha-haha!"

Less colorfully, tho, I suppose.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Mumbly said:
KazeAizen said:
Piecewise said:
Hate rant
I'd guess that, no, he was rather hoping you'd do exactly what you did so he can now say "Ha! Told you! You can't even prove me wrong! Ah-ha-ha! Ha-ha-haha!"

Less colorfully, tho, I suppose.
You sir are probably right. Its not that I can't do it. Given enough time I too could write a non school assigned essay on the intricacies of The Legend of Korra. Truth be told though. I just can't be bothered.