Legend of Korra: A Fantastic Finale With a Perfect Ending

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra: A Fantastic Finale With a Perfect Ending

Korra?s finale is a wild ride, even if it is better suited to end a season rather than conclude a series.

Read Full Article

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Hey all. I've had an absolute blast writing these reviews and reading your comments. I just wanted to thank all of you who have come back here to read these, week after week. I am really going to miss this series. Well, I would, except I'll probably just rewatch it and ATLA every other year.

Thanks again. You are all fantastic.

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
I liked the finale and I did ship Korra and Asami. But the thing that I am dwelling the most right now is that this is the end of Korra as a show and the end of the Avatar universe if reports from the creators are to be believed. This makes me sad and I mean really sad. I enjoy the universe of the two shows, I love the characters, and I believe that these shows did a lot of good in showing very positive characters without having any agendas behind it besides giving a good show.

I would love to see another continuation of the Avatar universe and there is always hope for that. But for now I am just sad that the Legend of Korra is over.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
I'm both sad that the Avatar universe may be ending with the show, but also amazing pleased with the series finale. Thanks Mike for the articles and work put into them, I looked forward tonight to reading your thoughts on the ending after finishing it myself.

I'll commit myself to believing that the Korra + Asami was truly romantic in nature at the end and I think it was the most realistic outcome if they were going to push Korra into a relationship.

Now, I guess we just have the real world left. I miss bending.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
First, THANK YOU for acknowledging that Korra isn't Last Airbender and doesn't have to be. So many fans I see out there compare them saying Korra isn't living up to Last Airbender. And while that's true in SOME respects, fact is that it's aiming to do something different overall and while that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it still feels uniquely its own enough where the comparisons fail to do either series justice.

And while I'm all for Korrasami, I'm really annoyed by the more overzealous fans basically spoiling everything for everyone everywhere. I've been seeing people posting about it on youtube comments that have NOTHING to do with Avatar in any way. I get the enthusiasm, but they don't need to be assholes and turn non-fans even FURTHER away from a great series.

It's sad this is coming to an end and it pisses me off with all the bullshit Nickelodeon's pulled that Korra did feel like it was playing with a handicap the whole time (budget cuts and constant schedule changes). I hope a new Avatar series comes around again someday, but I won't hold my breath since just getting this one was kind of a surprise. If it does happen, I really hope someone more competent than Nickelodeon gets to air it. They seriously didn't know how to handle this show properly and it came to bite them in the ass.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I give it a resounding four out of five stars myself. A satisfying enough conclusion even if I feel it was pretty cheesy even by cartoon standards.

The giant mech was itself pretty silly to begin with. I can see why the shows creators put it in: To make Kuvira a more intimidating threat against Korra and friends and to up the stakes, but I think that could also have been done much better via means other than ridiculous robots. I just felt it was out of place with the shows setting and that it was stretching things when the existing mechs in the franchise were already a bit iffy.

Also, and this is the one that's already gotten me hell in another topic where I mentioned it, I thought the romance was corny. The Last Airbender did the same thing with ending the series on a romantic note and I didn't like it then any more than I do now, it's just corny and cliche. At least they didn't do the whole 'kiss/camera upwards pan' shot, though they might as well have given the reaction that last shot has had. I also don't like how the whole romance angle has seemingly completely overshadowed the show itself, it's all anyone is talking about now. I'm sure given time it'll fade, but for now it's already getting annoying.

Again I thought it was silly and unnecessary but whatever, I've already gotten hell for disliking the romantic angle so I'm at least happy it's made other people happy.

...Also Prince Wu was stupid. I don't like him now any more than I did before and I didn't find him either particularly sympathetic during his scenes nor at all funny. Having both Tenzin and General Iroh both being useless for the millionth time was frustrating as well. Has Iroh and his army done a single thing other than get blown up this entire series? I can't think of even one example otherwise. At least Tenzin got a few moments of badassery throughout the series I guess, but in the finale he's barely present except to talk a bit at the end before getting overshadowed.

What I did like were some of the other touches throughout the finale. I like that unlike what everyone was expecting to happen, the spirits didn't come rushing to Korra's aid. I thought the visuals were fantastic, and despite not liking the mech itself I've got to admit seeing that canon blow apart Republic City was thrilling. Jokes (Aside from Wu's) were spot on and the music was fantastic, as was the voice acting.

Also no last second Deus Ex Machina like The Last Airbender's finale. No conveniently getting struck in just the right spot to be able to defeat the villain, no last second turtles to offer a helpful way out of a tough spot. The mech was silly but the way in which is was defeated was believable and epic enough to have left me happy.

My absolutely favourite thing though is how Korra ultimately defeated Kuvira, who herself I thought was a great villain. I think it speaks volumes about the characters growth that it wasn't through fighting that she brought Kuvira down, but by talking with her, something the 'old' Korra would never have done. Maybe the whole 'sympathetic villain chat' is another trope in itself, but at least here I thought it was well used to highlight Korra and everything she's been through throughout the series.

Overall enjoyable. It lacked the emotional gut-punch of 'The Last Agni Kai' and was a bit corny in places, but otherwise it was well put together and a good ending to a franchise I've really learned to love since I started watching it earlier this year.

I'm sad it's over.

Qui-mono995

Sep 27, 2014
Its seems that the only thing I can do is rewatch the whole series since its first episode

And yes they "do the thing" at the end. We only need the creators confirmation

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
more of people maknig up things about Korra and Asumi being gay..it's not cannon... both girls are straight.. people are reading waaaay to much into nothing..

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:
more of people maknig up things about Korra and Asumi being gay..it's not cannon... both girls are straight.. people are reading waaaay to much into nothing..
Hahahaha, because you hold hands with your guy friends, stare soulfully into their eyes, and go on vacations with them just the two of you, but it's -totally straight-.

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
crazygameguy4ever said:
It's not like they are accusing of their relationship but more of HOPING for that relationship, because reasons. Now considering they are holding hands. I guarantee someone will make a fan fiction out of it.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
PrinceOfShapeir said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Hahahaha, because you hold hands with your guy friends, stare soulfully into their eyes, and go on vacations with them just the two of you, but it's -totally straight-.
girls hug each other and hold hands all the time.. that's what girls do.. women are more emotional to one and other then us guys are.. just because a girl holds hands with her female best friend, doesn't mean she gay.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Hahahahaha, okay buddy. The next time you see a woman do -that- look in -that- pose tell me she's straight with a straight face.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I choose to believe that Korra and Asami are an item, but it feels a bit forced to me. The only other time in the series that screamed, "ROMANCE!" between those two was when Korra blushed. Everything else could have easily been written off as just two girls being friends. I honestly had no idea that these two were an item among fans until that episode.

All and all, a good episode. I'm a little disappointed that Kuvira just surrenders (she did kill all those people, after all), but hearing the unforgiving tone in Suyin's voice made it a bit more bearable. Sad to see the series go, but hopefully we'll get some comic books like we did with Avatar.

Mr.Evil

Jul 17, 2014
First off, thanks to Mike Hoffman for the reviews.

You know, I've come to think of TLoK much like I think of the Hobbit movies - good at times, almost great in a few places, but just not as good as what came before. Part of the problem with this series is that plotlines come and go too frequently, and so many characters and relationships got touched on over these four seasons that it felt like there was a lot to wrap up that never really got satisfyingly wrapped. By comparison, Avatar was a lot more focused and directed. I mean, people talk about Korra and Asami and "are they or aren't they?", but my problem is that there was barely any "they" to worry about. Hell, it practically comes out of the blue at the end, like an afterthought. I get the feeling that this was a season finale hastily turned to a series finale.

I still like the series in the end, though. It's just wasn't in the same league as Avatar.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
I choose to believe that Korra and Asami are an item, but it feels a bit forced to me. The only other time in the series that screamed, "ROMANCE!" between those two was when Korra blushed. Everything else could have easily been written off as just two girls being friends. I honestly had no idea that these two were an item among fans until that episode.

All and all, a good episode. I'm a little disappointed that Kuvira just surrenders (she did kill all those people, after all), but hearing the unforgiving tone in Suyin's voice made it a bit more bearable. Sad to see the series go, but hopefully we'll get some comic books like we did with Avatar.
I don't think they were revealing that Korra and Asami had been having a relationship off-camera with that last scene, I think that this was them essentially acknowledging a mutual attraction. There are a lot of minor things scattered at least as far back as the end of Season 3, their relationship was always far, far closer than Korra's relationship with any other character.

MasterBetty

May 21, 2009
PrinceOfShapeir said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
You forgot to mention how Asami was the only person Korra wrote to while being an invalid. She wasn't willing to give up that connection.
Also, this http://media.tumblr.com/b20853b6c8bf6949f4f17d5c00436461/tumblr_nf0y09OI1u1qj7g7io6_500.gif
LordFeast59 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
It's not like they are accusing of their relationship but more of HOPING for that relationship, because reasons. Now considering they are holding hands. I guarantee someone will make a fan fiction out of it.
Of course it's because there are plenty of reasons to think that. How do you come to your conclusions?

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Such a shame it's all over. The Avatar universe has always been one of my favourites, weird hybrid animals, eastern spirituality and elemental martial arts. There will be more graphic novels but they don't really cut it for me, such awesome combat needs to be animated.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:
Both girls are straight? Says who? Because they both dated Mako? You are aware that bisexuality is a thing, right?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
After that end I could just predict my tumblr feed, good lord. Usually you can never have enough lesbians, but I feel like I had to draw a line somewhere. That said I felt it was reaching, but looking at those stills, N'yeah, they're doing as far as kids TV will allow these days. Plutonic hand holding my butt, I just don't see two people holding hands like that without it being something more.

All in all, I'm honestly a little underwhelmed. Still good, but great, my anti-hype softwares kicking in.