Legend of Korra: A Fantastic Finale With a Perfect Ending

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So, I found this on another site and I think it's a great 'get over it' to the 'OMG THAR JUS FRINEDS!' peoples.

Yes, no, maybe, pineapples?

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Just imagine Mako's ego. Two women he dated and both end up gay/bi for each other. That's gona leave a mark. hehehe.*

Poor Mako.

I do feel somewhat compelled to watched S3 and 4 now.

*: This is a joke JIC the overly sensitive people out there miss it.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I love how they went the Pacific Rim direction at the end - subtle, poignant and open ended. Are they an item? I personally think so, but it's not explicitly stated or shown on the show. It is left up to the audience to decide the depth of the relationship. And while I personally see it as a sexual relationship (or, at the very least, a loving relationship that goes beyond friendship), I can respect others who say that I'm reading too much into it.

In some ways I see this as the exact opposite of the Mass Effect trilogy and LOST tv show endings; here, the ending makes me willing to gloss over most of the problems I've had with the show from day 1. I've been a fairly vocal critic of the show, particularly Season 1 and part of Season 2, but I think I'm going to look far more favourably on the show when I rewatch it in the future simply because the ending was pretty much perfect to me. I'm glad I stuck with it through thick and thin.

Jul 9, 2011
Tanis said:
So, I found this on another site and I think it's a great 'get over it' to the 'OMG THAR JUS FRINEDS!' peoples.
That Adam Poole guy goes by the pseudonym crazygameguy4ever on these here forums, and he's spent the past couple days vehemently refuting any possibility of romantic subtext between Korra and Asami (to say nothing of its assured certainty). It's really quite the sight to see. The level of denial fueling that sentiment is nearly laudable.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I admit, I'm torn on the final pairing. On the one hand, I hate that it reinforces the old "if a girl has masculine interests/tomboyish personality traits of course she's gay!" stereotype, and Korra and Asami fit the tired "manly girl and girly girl" roles.

On the other hand, it's awesome because we almost never see same-sex romance in the mainstream, and the two of them had one of the better developed relationships on the show (though that's not saying much. in both ATLA and Korra, the writers have fumbled at romance)

I think my reaction is a net positive though. I enjoyed the feelings of the ending, and my only real complaint was that Kuvira's plot got tied up a bit suddenly.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Tono Makt said:
I love how they went the Pacific Rim direction at the end - subtle, poignant and open ended. Are they an item? I personally think so, but it's not explicitly stated or shown on the show. It is left up to the audience to decide the depth of the relationship. And while I personally see it as a sexual relationship (or, at the very least, a loving relationship that goes beyond friendship), I can respect others who say that I'm reading too much into it.

In some ways I see this as the exact opposite of the Mass Effect trilogy and LOST tv show endings; here, the ending makes me willing to gloss over most of the problems I've had with the show from day 1. I've been a fairly vocal critic of the show, particularly Season 1 and part of Season 2, but I think I'm going to look far more favourably on the show when I rewatch it in the future simply because the ending was pretty much perfect to me. I'm glad I stuck with it through thick and thin.
Its been said numerous times that season 1 and 2 suffered a lot from production shenanigans on the part of Nick. Like many good franchises or stories Avatar The Last Airbender was lightning in a bottle. No way in hell you are going to top that. So you don't. If Avatar is a perfectly crafted fantasy epic for kids to call their Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings then Korra I choose to view as the creators going. "Let's see just how much we can get away with." When you go back over Korra the things they did start to add up and when I finished the final tally my jaw dropped because I literally could not believe the stones these guys had to do what they did. I'm even including that scene where Korra is poisoned which is the closest the series has come to horror since "The Puppetmaster" yet I find it creepier because its psychological horror. Needless to say I think once its out TLA and Korra will be one of those things that will just be cool to watch cover to cover.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
My take on the Korrasami ending is that the creators certainly INTENDED for it to be a romantic ending. So the relationship is canon. But the build up to it is lacking. Writing letters and compliments on hair do not a relationship make. I've got a best friend I could talk to for hours. When he starts doing a random jig in the middle of a room, I have no problem going up there and dancing right by him. No other person, man or woman, in the world would I do that with. However, neither of us is gay. It's just what being best friends is about. Korra and Asami having a romantic relationship feels forced because there's been little build up and what little there has been is indistinguishable from close friendship.

I chalk it up as the creators doing their best within the restrictions set on them. After all of the bull shit Nickelodeon has forced on them for LoK's run, no fucking way were they going to get the greenlight for a lesbian romance in a mainstream kid's show. I don't hold that against them. I think that ending moment was beautiful. But it isn't all that it should be, and that's a shame.

The rest of the ending is great. Everybody has moments, General Iroh finally shows up again even if he is dreadfully underutilized, Hobo Guy shows up and is WONDERFULLY utilized, the animation, visuals, and sound were all wonderful. A great cap to a great series. The series isn't for everyone, but I can appreciate it. I don't know if its better than The Last Airbender, but I love it more. TLA always felt like rather standard Saturday cartoon fare. Stunningly executed, but still just standard. TLA aimed to be more thoughtful, more emotional. It didn't always work, but I appreciate the effort, and when it does work it shines like no other cartoon I can think of, except maybe for the episode "Code of Hero" in Beast Wars.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
While quite the bumpy ride I think Korra ended pretty strongly with these last two seasons.
I enjoyed it and I actually came to really like Korra as a character.

As for the Korra Asami thing being somewhat understated I'm going to be cynical and guess it's probably so subtle and understated because that's just how much they were able to get away with. Making an incredibly obvious mutual attraction between same sex characters was probably not allowed so they were forced to work with implications and such to build their romance.
That last scene clinches it for me though.

dateryu

Aug 22, 2011
This episode was atrocious. In fact most of the series sucks compared to the original. Most things they did to differentiate them failed miserably.
It's weird though, season one had a great start, season two had a great middle, and season 3 had a great end. Season 4 was mediocre at best but if you took the best parts of the first 3 and made 4 seasons out of that, you'd have an amazing series.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Ukomba said:
I dont know, all the speculation just makes me think of this
Have you actually watched the episode? That's really, -really- not what's going on.
Of course I have, and it's just not what I saw, sorry. Not just in the last episode but at any point during the 4 seasons.

That's what's really important too. I never saw any sort of build up to it in any previous episodes. Even if the producers came out tomorrow and said that was exactly what they intended I'd have a problem with it since it would have come out of left field. I started looking, there were never any shy glances, subtle flirting, blushes, any of show of attraction of any kind really. And not just with each other, neither of them showed any interest in any female character. To me they just looked like best friends, and Korra trying to console her after the sudden, violent loss of her father.

I know people love shipping, and that's fine I don't mean to rain on that. My wife still insists on shipping Zuko and Katara. (I even funded TSSSF ;) )

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
gandhi the peacemake said:
Ukomba said:
See post above mine. But more importantly, good call on the MLP bit. I think the fan personalities that have been created for the two work well together, but still, clever pic.
Very true. And the latest Equestria Girls Movie has the creators having a bit of fun with it. Not that I'm a fan of the pairing, I r
undeadsuitor said:
Oh hey look [http://michaeldantedimartino.tumblr.com/post/105916326500/korrasami-confirmed-now-that-korra-and-asamis], DiMartino, the co-creator of the series, confirms that they're a couple.

Our intention with the last scene was to make it as clear as possible that yes, Korra and Asami have romantic feelings for each other. The moment where they enter the spirit portal symbolizes their evolution from being friends to being a couple. Many news outlets, bloggers, and fans picked up on this and didn?t find it ambiguous. For the most part, it seems like the point of the scene was understood and additional commentary wasn?t really needed from Bryan or me. But in case people were still questioning what happened in the last scene, I wanted to make a clear verbal statement to complement the show?s visual one. I get that not everyone will be happy with the way that the show ended. Rarely does a series finale of any show satisfy that show?s fans, so I?ve been pleasantly surprised with the positive articles and posts I?ve seen about Korra?s finale.
and here's a word from the other creator [http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace]

god, its like DOUBLE canon now
You might have missed the part where I indicated that I didn't care what they say about it. My problem isn't with the pairing, or the intent, but the lack of build up. There was no hint of this, right up until they suddenly be came a thing. If the creators want to say it's canon, that's fine but my complaint then becomes poor writing on their part. You can't just Deus-exing them into a couple like that without it being jarring when it's contrary to their personas leading up to it. I'd have the same problem if Asami suddenly was dating Bolin at the end. It's like an after thought put in to be edgy or something.

Jul 9, 2011
Ukomba said:
You might have missed the part where I indicated that I didn't care what they say about it.
I think it was this very same thread (or, you know, one of the other half-dozen threads about this show) where I talked about how Word of God isn't exactly the be-all-end-all that people might think it is.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
so despite all the things that happened in the series all the cool fights and characters, all that anybody can talk about is about KorrAsami... look NanoFate did this long before Korra ever did can we instead talk about how awesome the show was for getting away from The Last Airbender and doing something totally different?

I'm really hoping Meelo gets his own show at some point

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
crazygameguy4ever said:
Mr Companion said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
more of people maknig up things about Korra and Asumi being gay..it's not cannon... both girls are straight.. people are reading waaaay to much into nothing..
Before this finale I was exactly the same way. In fact I didn't even know about the Korrasami conspirators until "The Blush". People who were going on about "The Blush" were bloody silly. People blush in cartoons about being complimented all the time. They are just galpals guys!

But in this episode it couldn't be any clearer unless they actually SAID "I love you". The song that plays over it? "The Avatar's Love", the camera swinging up to "The End" at the end? Exactly the same shot used at the end of Airbender. Also why WOULD the shows final moments focus on a relatively insignificant side character like Asami unless it was, yknow, "Important". I think the creators intentions are pretty crystal clear myself and I was never even a Korrasami conspirator before, I thought it was just a bunch of sad people reading too much into cartoons.

Anybody who says it's all circumstantial must know deep down that if the writers and animators were allowed (which they damn well are not) to show two women kissing they absolutely would. If they had shown that? Probably never would have aired.
sorry but your opinion is wrong Korra and Assmai are both straight.. their not gay or Bi.. their female best friends, nothing more
If my opinion is wrong then creators are also wrong because they came out and said it was a romantic relationship and ending. Here are the links.
http://mikedimartinostory.com/2014/12/22/korrasami-confirmed/
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

I'm not sure why you are in such vigorous denial. Do you have some kind of religious thing against it?
Personally like the writers themselves I thought it was pretty unambiguous but I guess some people hate the idea so much they would rather deny it's existence. It's going to take the writers personally animating official henti before some people will accept it.