Legend of Zelda, Navi's Annoyance.

necrons_2

Dec 25, 2008
I walked into a game shop today, wearing a Legend of Zelda shirt and the shopkeep and I got into a conversation about various facets of the game. Such as favourite moments in the games, the ease and frustration of various boss fights. And we both got onto how annoying Navi is. So i put to all the escapians: If you were on the dev team for a zelda game, what would you replace navi with?

Personally I said that i would replace her with a flying garden gnome who's pants were on fire.

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN!

That aside, I'd replace her with someone who knows how to BE QUIET!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Midna.
You just didn't notice that she had replaced Navi because they did her right.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
I just humored the small, winged ball of light and hit the c-up button, then mashed "A", and went on with my adventure.

Now, the owl, that's a WHOLE different sceneario. There's something wrong with having the cursor on the "Yes, please repeat what you said option", the first time I played the game, I listened to EVERYTHING everyone said, on the next play-through, no, I mashed the "A" button like a psycho, only to have to sit through it, again, and again...and again.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Erana said:
Midna.
It's all become to clear to me now!

Navi was technically present during Twilight, as the Wiimote pointer, but was dead silent. Perhaps this incarnation of Link was deaf to her.

If ever they made a port of Ocarina of Time for the Wii, I hope that they simply take out Navi's 'HEY LISTEN!' griping every time the day changed. Not that they are going to port that game, since it's on the Virtual Console and everything, but I can dream.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Erana said:
Midna.
Holy crap, you're right... I didn't realize until you said that that Midna was Navi, but by jove you're absolutely right!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I III II X4 said:
I just humored the small, winged ball of light and hit the c-up button, then mashed "A", and went on with my adventure.

Now, the owl, that's a WHOLE different sceneario. There's something wrong with having the cursor on the "Yes, please repeat what you said option", the first time I played the game, I listened to EVERYTHING everyone said, on the next play-through, no, I mashed the "A" button like a psycho, only to have to sit through it, again, and again...and again.
Everytime I hear and recall stories of the owl, I just lol so hard. It was so infuriating and yet looking back it's just so funny.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Navi was no where near as annoying as that freaking owl. Alright, I get it already let me play the game! Crap, I clicked the 'talk again' button by accident! Seriously, why the hell did they make the repeat option the first selected after the dialogue was over? Furiously mashing A would have been much less of an annoyance if it had been the other way around.

Cairo

Mar 11, 2009
I liked Midna, but to answer your question, I would replace Navi with: nothing.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
Quaidis said:
Navi was technically present during Twilight, as the Wiimote pointer, but was dead silent.
Well, if you move the pointer at any sort of speed, you'll hear the "tinkle" of fairy dust. So not completely silent. :p

I got so annoyed that I bought the "hey! listen!" T-shirt from the VG Cats store, just so I could annoy everyone else.

DoomDispenser

Mar 4, 2009
Now, we all know without Navi, Legend of Zelda would not be what it is today. Navi is a part of our lives that we love to hate, we cannot undo what has happened in the past. If given the choice none of us would. You all know this deep down.

Navi is the ex-wife of LoZ, if you will. You hated her while she was there, and you probably wish you punched her in the throat when you had the chance. But, without her , things just wouldn't be the same.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Replace Navi with a character called Captain Dynamite who has the face of Frank Zappa, vioce of Liam Neeson, nuclear missiles for legs...

Seriously, wouldn't it be worse if Tingle was the one harassing you all the time? At least Navi doesn't hurt your brain to look at.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Hardly find Navi annoying at all and I wouldn't replace her with anything because she is signature and important to the Zelda games. I can think many more NPC characters that are alot more annoying than Navi, especially in the FF games.

For the sake of answering the question I would replace her with the Flying Speghetti Monster!

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Nothing. As far as OoT is concerned. Not like I'd replaced Midna in TP or anything.

She's iconic.

zebrin

Nov 16, 2008
I never really found Navi annoying to be honest, I mean, there were some moments that I found her to be useless(Defeat yourself link!) but in reality, in that game she was links "Voice". They couldn't make link talk(Raging fanboys anyone?) so they just appropriated links words to something else. In this case, a fairy.

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
They could have replaced her with a dog. Dogs are always nice in games. Not annoying, because they can't say, "hey, listen!" all the time.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I dont see how she was so annoying I liked navi better than Midna or king of red lions she was useful too.