Let's All Watch The Batman Trailer

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
every once in awhile i poke my head into "moviebob" 's articles, and every time i do, i just wanna punch him in the face. i'm not even a huge batman fanboy, i never saw Batman Begins, i enjoyed Dark Knight, mostly for the Joker though, and didn't watch the trailer until after reading his article.

then it hit me.

he's doing the snarky pessimist thing because it worked for yahtzee.

i said it before. and i'll say it again. man i love being a turtle... no, wait not that... this...

moviebob, you are a hack. you are not entertaining or informative or even slightly useful. if i wanted ZP's on movies or movie trailers, I'd watch yahtzee do it. actually... i DO want that, but he's a busy guy.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Fuck Batman. Let's talk about The Hobbit with Arthur Dent trailer!

That was one of the best songs in a trailer I heard, also Oakenshield does not look like dwarf at all!

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Ariseishirou said:
It's true, we do, so why use a protest that is entirely non-violent, unless one is doing to misconstrue the movement for political reasons, or just daftly misunderstanding it? This isn't the French revolution. It's Occupy. It really is like using Gandhi to punch out Lex Luther, when you could use less ridiculous freedom fighters who actually fought.
Or maybe it's a movie in which case they are over exaggerating it on purpose? Seriously, did you not think of that? Maybe it's a "what if" scenario of the movement becoming violent? Maybe it really does have absolutely nothing to do with the Occupy movement?

I really don't understand your mindset here. Have you ever seen a movie before?
It's not "insulting", it's just heavy-handed, over-the-top, and melodramatic. Which is bad storytelling. There are subtler, more nuanced references to patriotism one could make.
It's a movie... A superhero movie at that. Why be subtle about it? Not to mention that I've watched the trailer multiple times, the only thing that remotely resembles patriotism is the kid singing the National Anthem. And that's it. And that lasts about 15 seconds. There's a small dialogue with Catwoman about leaving little for the rest of them, and that might be able to be construed as an Occupy reference. But once again, who cares? That's a fucking good story.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but I don't get how you can possibly think that violent protesters (who we have no idea if they even are protesters) tearing a rich persons house apart comes off as heavy handed to recent events. The people of Gotham have always been part of the story of Batman. It fully hinted that people were gonna turn on him at the end of the last one.
Yes, the comparison of this trailer to Michael Bay films is apt. I do think the comparison to Michael Bay is appropriate. You are correct, in that I was using apt to mean appropriate. Because I think the comparison of this trailer to Michael Bay films, which is both the topic of that paragraph and the thesis of my argument for this entire discussion, is both apt and appropriate. Are you even reading what I write?
Yes I am, just didn't realize you were making a comparison. I've never seen apt used in that particular way. Probably would have just been easier to say something like "Identical" or "Similar"

And I wholeheartedly disagree with you. In fact, I've never in my life disagreed with someone more.

Honestly, if you really are that cynical about minor references of modern day events in American culture being put into movies, than you got a problem. Is there a theme of the Occupy movement there?

Sure there is.

Is it bold? No. Not at all. Not even for a teaser trailer.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
ElectroJosh said:
I agree that it is annoying that superhero films of today are trying to what the comics did in the '90s - make everything realistic and dark - but some of them work better with this sort of treatment. Simply put I prefer the darker more realistic Batman films just like I prefered the Batman comics that had that approach. Batman just suits that sort of thing much more than, say, Spiderman.
Wait what?

So Raimi's Spider-Man were dark and gritty?
Singer's X-men were dark and gritty?
X-men Fist Class was dark and gritty?
Thor was dark and gritty?
The Incredible Hulk was dark and gritty?
Captain America?

What about Green Lantern, Superman Returns and Green Hornet... they sucked, but dark and gritty, they weren't.

And less we forget, the two darkest and grittiest movie of all time - Iron Man & Iron Man 2!

>_>

I know I'm coming off as a dick here, but Bob often takes the approach of "When will the industry understand that dark and gritty comic book movie don't work!" - but Bob seems to have blinders on and only see the Nolan Batman movie... because really, it's the only comic book movie that is both successful and dark and gritty in recent years.

I suppose if you go far back enough, you can nab Sin City, 300 and Watchman in there... but those movies were all incredibly faithful to the source material (Sin City and Watchman especially - the comic is basically the storyboard for the movie), so you really can't blame them for that.

So in short... there's 1 dark and gritty franchise left - and because of the massive success of more 4 color super hero movies, odds are those are now a dying breed...

History repeat itself. The 4 original Batman movie add similar arc... 1st one: Dark & Gritty. 2nd one: Dark & gritty but with a dash of psychosis that wasn't really welcome. 3rd one: Wacky and Zany and it sucked. 4th One: Both the wackiest and crappiest movie of all time.

So while Bob is now ecstatic at all the zaniness going about, I wonder how he'll feel in a few years when Iron Man is wearing a fluorescent glow in the dark armor with power nipples...

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
I don't get the discussion that's going on here. I usually agree with Bob, but here I think his critique has fallen to snark. But, that being said... this is a trailer people, it is highly unlikely that it is in any way indicative of the quality of the film.
When have trailers ever been indicative of the quality of a film? For that matter when have trailers ever been good? (Not including classy, classic 60's Horror film trailers).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm going to make a stand here. I am not fed up of ' 'gritty' ' films (the '' are part of the quote) and added to that, I didn't find the Dark Knight particularly gritty.

Seriously what is up with people? Why do we have to choose one and stick to it? Why can't we watch films at any time and like them if they're good, regardless of the tone of the film? Why can't both films be produced at the same time?

Also, all you people fed up of the ''gritty'' superhero movie. Since the Dark Knight how many gritty superhero movies have you seen? Cos I can think of none, compared to a swathe of mediocre to good normal superhero movies. Green Latern was not gritty, Thor was not gritty, Iron Man wasn't really gritty but that' the closest we're getting. Captain America wasn't, X-Men wasn't, Green Hornet wasn't etc... I swear this is pretty much the only one and we're cursing this decade of gloom? I'm tried of none gritty films and would like some more please (jk, but please take my point)

There have been two (oh no two?!) bits of news about gritty superhero movies and both of them have been complaints about movies that haven't even come out yet (Superman, Spiderman)

DressedInRags said:
I'd like to agree with you, but there does seem to be a rather interesting undercurrent going on here.

Batman is considered the best thing for Gotham, "the hero that Gotham deserves".
I'm not really taking a side on your debate, but I'm just coming in here, because unluckily for you, you started off with something that was completely wrong :D and it puts a funny but unfortunate slant on your post.

The message of TDK was that Batman was the hero that Gotham deserves, because Gotham sucks. In the film, the White Knight (Dent) is portrayed as being the best thing for Gotham, the thing they need and the thing that will save them. But Gotham sucks so much they can't have the hero they need (I think it says as much in the ending monologue). He was there and they friggin' destroyed them. So instead they have Batman, the illegal vigilante who saves them through violence and fear. Even then, because he's not what Gotham needs, but what Gotham deserves, they actually choose to destroy his reputation and promote Dent's. That is how little he's the best thing for Gotham, but as the situation stands, he's the only thing.

Apr 17, 2009
I don't really get the argument that this is about the 99% movement. I mean, yeah Selina Kyle is no billionaire, but even in the trailer she's depicted as wearing fine dresses and pearls, and moves in the same circles as Batman himself given that she's attending one of the events he is (presumably was invited). So she's hardly your average working class, even without the whole Catwoman thing

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
I didn't realize that a so many people seriously disliked Superman Returns. It's very much a quintessential Superman story.

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
jFr[e said:
ak93]Nolan will probably kill Batman. I read somewhere that he is done with the series and doesn't want his version to continue. To do that, you have to
a. Kill the main character
b. Cause the main character to get shot in the spinal cord causing paralysis (which kinda didn't work for Magneto)
or c. causing a nuke to go off in Gotham killing everyone... except Bat-man.

If c happens, Batman 4: Rise of the Zombies will be awesome.

TBH, I'm way more excited for The Hobbit, but, that's me.
Actually, it seems that the movie actually starts with Bruce Wayne in recovery from having his spine broken once, so i don't see how getting shot will be a guarantee that he stays down.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
"Also, minor nitpick: It's just kinda wrong to see Batman using anything even remotely gun like."

You mean kinda like a grappling gun or something? That's wrong?

Don quixote's mule

Feb 28, 2011
Comic book movies have a reason to be ashamed of being comic book movies.

http://hollywoodhatesyou.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/batman_nips.jpg

If there is choice to stylize a movie, that style should add something to the the storytelling process. Chicago, Sucker Punch and 300 are great examples of what I mean. In these films the crazy fantastical parts contribute to the story. It is not enough to simply be entertaining.

For Comic book movies to move forward there really needs to to be some introspection on what is important to the story that is being told. Nolan really got to the core of what Batman is and he did the same for Ra's Al Ghul, Two Face, and the Joker. I have my own hopes pipe dreams and fears concerning the this installment of Nolan's Batman trilogy, but so far he has told a story that is getting better as it progresses.

stang87065

Nov 18, 2009
um Bob, you'd normally complain about this kind of stuff, don't do this again...I'll get the spray gun.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
why does bob hate bane?
i always kinda liked him because he is one of the few "brute"-archetype characters who isn't a complete idiot, he is in fact quite smart but a lot of times this gets downplayed for some reason.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
That trailer seemed very weak to me. I am no more interested in seeing the movie now than before.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
Didn't al'Gul's cult have an earthquake machine? I seem to remember there being a plot where he intended to use such a device to make the Lazurus pits overflow and flood the earth. Either way, Bane uses it to blow up a football game. The part of me that remembers and is still bitter about my high school experience approves.
What is "everyone" calling it an earthquake machine/super powerful device? Upon seeing the trailer I simply assumed Bane placed explosives underneath the football field. Perhaps there is a subway/utility system beneath it and he blew up the support columns. The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
01:51 So ... Batman has a plane now. Awesome. People have been calling this The Batwing, since that's what the plane from the Burton/Schumacher movies was called, but since they don't even call the Batmobile "The Batmobile" in these movies you know it'll be called something else.
Wasn't it called "the BATpod" in TDK?

Alfred: Will you be taking the batpod, sir?
Bruce: Middle of the day, Alfred? Not very subtle.
Alfred: The Lamborghini then. Much more "subtle."