Let's Compare Lost Planet 3 to a Good Game

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Let's Compare Lost Planet 3 to a Good Game

In which Yahtzee relates Metroid Prime to Lost Planet 3, and the latter suffers for the comparison.

Read Full Article

Chris Slime

May 20, 2013
You have brought up Metroid Prime as a good game a few times, but i'm still left curious about what you thought of the other Prime games.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yahtzee, no need to beat around the bush with us. We all know that when you say "Other 3D metroid games" you mean other M. What other games does Samus act like a stripper in? Echos? Corruption?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They did re-release Metroid prime, they released it as Metroid Prime Trilogy, in a metal case with the other 2 prime games, all with enhanced controls to work with the wiimote if you wanted to use it. Goodluck finding it for a reasonable price though, it only had a limited run of a couple months before Nintendo stopped making it.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Lost Planet 3 is such a letdown. For all its issues (and they were many and varied) Lost Planet 2 is one of the best co-op games I've ever seen, with environments packed full of so many options that, even with four players, you'll never use everything in any given playthrough of an encounter. It also had way cooler robots.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
all this talk of metroid prime makes me want to play metriod prime again after years of not even touching game disk. I never beat metriod prime 2 so I may want give that another chance too. I beat the first and third one but I don't remember why I quit playing metriod prime 2.

I have nothing to say about Lost Planet 3 or any of the lost planet games in general due not playing any of them.

Worgen said:
They did re-release Metroid prime, they released it as Metroid Prime Trilogy, in a metal case with the other 2 prime games, all with enhanced controls to work with the wiimote if you wanted to use it. Good luck finding it for a reasonable price though, it only had a limited run of a couple months before Nintendo stopped making it.
so if it was limited then I am pretty happy to have got Metroid Prime Trilogy before it got expensive.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
I should go replay Metroid Prime. Actually last time I played that it was a few months ago, but I again got stuck on the flora pronunciation nightmare that is Flaahgra.

Not that I haven't beaten Metroid Prime, it's just... plant thing is mean.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
But... I like Samus's long hair.

I do agree about all the other points, though. The Metroid franchise desperately needs more installations. Preferably with developers that know what the hell they're doing.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Metroid Prime seriously surprised me when it came out. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, it has such a fantastic atmosphere.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
erttheking said:
Yahtzee, no need to beat around the bush with us. We all know that when you say "Other 3D metroid games" you mean other M. What other games does Samus act like a stripper in? Echos? Corruption?
Not necessarily. While Other M is the biggest offender, in Prime 2 and 3 you can see that Samus is starting to look more cartoonish and conventionally attractive. In comparison, the portrait of Samus you see at the end of the first game is that of a professional mercenary that gives no fucks about looks because that's not part of her job.

Also Yahtzee likes to use hyperbole. You should know this buy now.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I hope Yahtzee takes some time to do a ZP review of Metroid Prime like he did with Shadow of the Colossus. That game could stand some serious revisiting from the gaming community.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wait, the MC in Lost Planet 3 has a beard? Wow, what an original premise for an MC design, lets take a look.
[img/]http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/12/oct/lostp1.jpg[/img]
Well... that's okay I guess... I mean the guy's no Guan Yu...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
all this talk of metroid prime makes me want to play metriod prime again after years of not even touching game disk. I never beat metriod prime 2 so I may want give that another chance instead. I beat the first and third one but I don't remember why I quit playing metriod prime 2.

I have nothing to say about Lost Planet 3 or any of the lost planet games in general due not playing any of them.

Worgen said:
They did re-release Metroid prime, they released it as Metroid Prime Trilogy, in a metal case with the other 2 prime games, all with enhanced controls to work with the wiimote if you wanted to use it. Good luck finding it for a reasonable price though, it only had a limited run of a couple months before Nintendo stopped making it.
so if it was limited then I am pretty happy to have got Metroid Prime Trilogy before it got expensive.
Lucky, I wish I had gotten it, when they announced they were cutting off making the game discs they all vanished from stores before I could get one.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I realise one of these games is better than the other, but i'd like to point out your first complaint rests entirely on the fact that one game is linear and the other is not, are all linear games less deserving of praise?
I know you know that's not the case, i'm just being a jerk.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
all this talk of metroid prime makes me want to play metriod prime again after years of not even touching game disk. I never beat metriod prime 2 so I may want give that another chance instead. I beat the first and third one but I don't remember why I quit playing metriod prime 2.

Worgen said:
Yeah I hunted down a copy of the Trilogy, with the collector's metal case and artbook, and it still goes for the original price of $60. It's listed as a top rare wanted item at gamestop and other retailers that keep lists. MP1 and 2 when ported got not only graphical upgrades, but they now have the control scheme of Corruption (3) which is top notch. Going through these on my 42" was totally worth it.

As far as not finishing Echoes, I agree with Yatzhee's old review that the stacked 3D map is a little convoluted and the backtracking can get a tad excessive, but it is still my favorite of the three. Echoes gives us the most open exploration towards the end (lots of interconnecting side tunnels) and I never reached a point where collecting powerups was a waste; because it has ammo mechanics you never have an excessive amount of missiles or anything, they're invaluable. The biggest problem it has is a slow/long start. The second half of the game is the best IMO, go back and play it!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
cikame said:
I realise one of these games is better than the other, but i'd like to point out your first complaint rests entirely on the fact that one game is linear and the other is not, are all linear games less deserving of praise?
I know you know that's not the case, i'm just being a jerk.
Watch TB's review and he'll actually show you footage of the slog Yahtzee is describing. Judge for yourself, it's not that it's linear, but the bad kind of linear, all the while pretending that it is not.

www.youtube.com/embed/VoQQPmjF5T4?rel=0

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Mahoshonen said:
erttheking said:
Not necessarily. While Other M is the biggest offender, in Prime 2 and 3 you can see that Samus is starting to look more cartoonish and conventionally attractive. In comparison, the portrait of Samus you see at the end of the first game is that of a professional mercenary that gives no fucks about looks because that's not part of her job.

Also Yahtzee likes to use hyperbole. You should know this buy now.
http://www.metroid-database.com/features/prime_endings.jpg

Ehhhh...I'd hardly call the first one ugly. And yes, the one from echos is an abomination of life but I don't see anything wrong with the one in Corruption. She looks rather stoic and professional there too. Let's also remember that we only ever see her helmet off at the beginning of corruption, the end of corruption and echos, and after the first major boss in corruption because she takes it off to throw up before slapping it back on and going back to work. Not to mention I think the one from Prime doesn't look cartoony just because the hardware back then wasn't as good, it just doesn't look that well rendered.

I don't really see how these games can even faintly compare to the shit that other M pulled.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
From what I've seen, Jim Peyton seems like a genuinely sympathetic and human character. Right now he's the main reason why I want to play Lost Planet 3.