Let's Get Indie Games Away From the Idea of a Small Child in a Scary World

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Bedinsis said:
In Braid, the main character Tim is clearly an adult, as described by the in game text. The very first message is that the princess was kidnapped because Tim made a mistake, so he's hardly innocent.
I ould argue that Braid is a game about the loss of the PLAYER'S innocence, not Tim's. It may be more common these days, but the big twist in that game could really shake up gamers who grew up on Mario games. You go through the whole thing only to reaveal at the end that you weren't playing as Mario. Mario is the knight who stole the princess.

All that time, you were actually Bowser.

Of course, it's more likely that I'm just talking out mah butt here, and the dev was just high off his own farts and thought he was deeper than he actually was.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
I'm surprised that no one has brought this up, so I will. Prior to Pixar and Dreamworks, what studio produced an animated movie that competed with what Disney was producing? I'll give you a hint:

Actually think about it. The Land Before Time came out back in '88 and, a movie with a similar premise, An American Tail was released two years prior. Both films can be best described as SCSW films. And, these films were the bomb back then. So, given that most of the people developing games these days are in their 30's, or younger, what films do you think influenced their approach to game development?

Though, there is one different between these two films and the SCSW games. Little Foot had friends, Fievel had friends. Heck, Fievel's friend is one of the scary monsters (And, same happened with Little Foot, but that was only in the sequels). Throught the film, Little Foot's pals are stuck in the same position he is. Meanwhile, Fievel is making relationships with people who actually have lived in the "scary world". By contrast, what do these game protagonists have as far as companionship, and could it be a cause of this game premise becoming so mediocre?