Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
AlphaEcho said:
FORGOTTEN BEAST IN LAKE
You know I'm sure it doesn't surprise any of you to learn that next update is going to have another forgotten beast joining the lake party crew.

Anyways, I have no idea what's going to happen right now (in real life I mean). I thought I was heading up to Maine tomorrow but the hurricane disagreed and has delayed my college move in until next Tuesday (I think). So while my computer is still going to be hooked up for a few more days, I don't know if I'll work on anything. We'll see.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Frozen_Flame said:
What would happen if this monster lake was hit with a body of lava...?
It would form Obsidian. Actually if done correctly you could essentially "pave over" the lake using magma. If not done correctly the fort will suffer a massive firey death and a 1000% increase in "fun"

Of course the more dwarfy way to handle a lake full of monsters is to rig up some way of dropping enemies in there.

Frozen_Flame

Jun 3, 2011
No, I know Obsidian would form but would it kill the Forgotton Beasts? Would they lack the survival instinct to survive? Has it been permanently been replaced with the backstroke?

I'm picturing bones preserved in the Obsidian somehow.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
AlphaEcho said:
AlphaEcho said:
It would harden, the monsters would get out and cause a lulzy ending to our fort?
No, what you need to do is case the FBs in lava, trapping them in there. Then you carve out statues in their exact shape and mount them in your fortress. And hope they don't get out...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Chapter 110: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

1st Granite, 110, Early Spring

Well another year is over, and things went pretty well all things considered. Didn't turn out nearly as bad as some of the other ones. We're going to be able to star off the new year on the right foot.

And it goes without saying that Reveredtour is incredibly wealthy, like any duchy would be.

Actually I just realized that maybe we're being targeted by goblins and kobolds because of our wealth. Anyone who took control of Reveredtour would become incredibly wealthy if they sold all the goods we have stockpiled. That would explain all the thieves to. Good thing none of them ever manage to make off with valuable stuff.

5th Granite, 1059, Early Spring

Thinking about the value of our fortress made me consider just how safe Reveredtour really is. We still can't stand up to a goblin siege, so if they ever found a way in we'd be slaughtered. I need to find new ways to increase our strength other than sheer manpower. Obviousl quality equipment factors into this, but what can we possibly give our soldiers that is better than steel?

Well...legend says that adamantine is incredibly powerful so...

...we'll mine some more to make a few weapons. JUST A LITTLE BIT!!! Goden won't notice a tiny bit of adamantine shaved off the wall, so she shouldn't freak out! I think...

13th Granite, 1060, Late Spring

The farmers have reported sightings of another monster in the farms. Not a great beast like the ones that harass every month but just a particularly vicious resident of the caverns. Based on their descriptions I believe it is a cave crocodile.

Kraken's Notes: Cave crocodiles are another subterranean variant of a normal creature, and as you might expect they are quite vicious. Cave crocs are quite aggressive and will hunt down and slaughter civilians if the opportunity presents itself. They even have the strength to smash through certain constructions. Their ability to swim also means they can even sneak into your fortress through flooded areas. They can lie dormant for quite a while to, so they are sneaky in addition to deadly. They even pose a serious threat to your soldier if they aren't prepared.

The cave crocodile was first sighted after it smashed several statues, and now it merely lounges on the muddy banks of the lake. The Immortal Rags shall ensure that it does not harm any dwarf.

15th Granite, 1060, Early Spring

The cave crocodile was not content to merely sit by the shore of the lake. Now that it was inside the fort, it was on the hunt for dwarves. Fortunately none of the farmers were around at the time, so it searched in vain before catching something caught its eye.

For whatever reason, the cave crocodile felt it necessary to tear up some slabs that had been erected in honor of deceased dwarves. Perhaps it was smart enough to realize they were grave marking and was searching for fresh corpses. A hauler arrived after it began doing this, and made the poor decision of shouting at the crave crocodile thinking it was just oversized vermin he could scare off.

The crocodile responded by chasing the hauler through the deep roads.

Fortunately the croc took a wrong turn and lost track of the hauler. It began wandering the roads in confusion, not sure where to find prey in the dark tunnels.

The soldiers arrived to solve this dilemma, though they would not be easy prey.

As one might expect the crocodile was no match for the soldiers who made short work of it. Thankfully no dwarves were harmed, but I'll need to get someone to fix the damage caused by the croc.

20th Grantie, 1060, Late Spring

I'm not even surprised by this. I'm expecting these things to show up at this point. What I didn't expect is to see one made out of steam. How does this even work? What is holding it together? How does something made out of steam even hurt you? How do you hurt something made out of steam?

Whatever, I'll just have the military stab it and see if it disappears.

26th Granite, 1060, Late Spring

The military went down to face the forgotten beast by the farms, as they always did. We had all seen this before. The beast would show up, make a mess, then get killed and everyone would go get a drink and quickly forget anything had happened.

Well things didn't according to plan. The beast Inrus didn't head for the farms, but instead walked in circles through the caverns. Perhaps it was trying to lure us to it, or maybe it was just unaware of our presence. Either way, the beast found far better prey in the form of a poor hauler.

Anyone who encounters a forgotten beast alone is pretty much written off as dead. The hauler had nowhere to run, for the beast had drove him next to a cliff. Things certainly weren't looking good for this dwarf. In fact, I was already making funeral arrangements. Sad, but practical.

Face to face with the beast, the hauler had no option but to leap off the cliff onto the muddy floor below. This worked about as well as one might think, breaking nearly every bone in the haulers body. Perhaps he wasn't trying to escape but rather chose what he thought would be the less painful death. Well he only succeeded in delaying the inevitable, as Inrus was already heading down to attack him as he slowly limped away.

Inrus was free to tear apart the poor dwarf, and yet he did not. Or rather, it couldn't. Seems my pondering about the effectiveness of a beast made out of steam was correct, as it was incapable of hurting the dwarf. Every attack did nothing. Inrus was completely ineffective and would no doubt be slaughtered as soon as it encountered our militia.

Sadly the hauler perished after spending a few hours crawling in vain. Not from Inrus's constant attacks, but rather injuries sustained in the fall. At this point there was nothing to keep Inrus from making a foolhardy charge against the fort.

Well nothing except that damn lake that all the forgotten beasts seem to love so much. Rather than attack more dwarves Inrus has instead opted to lounge at the bottom of the lake with the rest of its abomination buddies. As much as I would love to see this creature be destroyed by our brave soldiers, there's nothing we can do at the moment.

I wonder what those forgotten beasts do down there. Perhaps they brag about all the grubmen tribes they've devoured. Or maybe they're building their own little forgotten beast society.

adasdad

Aug 2, 2011
careful kraken, don't want the carnival to come to town just yet. as to what the fbs are doing,
imagine how you've beaten every one ou have.swarms of soldiers, overwhelming them! however a FB RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH could even the odds. however, a well placed cavein cvould kill all of the poolpartiers.

adasdad

Aug 2, 2011
you should have an emrgency backupplan for clowns. just a quick and simple cave in that would lock them in.

Thecard

Apr 27, 2011
It is interesting how they all seem to converge on the one spot. Perhaps the water current is interfering with their path mapping? I would train up skilled crossbowdwarves, with a squad of speardwarves to protect them(fortifications closed off from the FB would probably work even better) as they fire upon them. In addition, a trap corridor leading up to your fort finished with a short bridge might be a good idea.
Side note: Once, when I was trying to mod a new civ into the game, it switched to civ creature to cave crocodiles, and then to forgotten beasts. This crashed my game.

greatorder

Apr 22, 2011
I returned from a 2 week holiday...

AND I'M NOT DEAD!

steam fb? easy to kill. they are only hard if they are made of a stone or metal.

Cromage

Aug 25, 2011
adasdad said:
careful kraken, don't want the carnival to come to town just yet.
They should be fine for now, at least if I'm right in that adamantium veins are placed last, overriding other rock. Hollows are always 2x2 and encased in a 4x4 block of adamantium. Given that, there's only one place a hollow could be on this level, if there is one at all.

Still, I'd be disappointed if I didn't see clowns at least once in a DF LP. =D

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
This LP has gotten me into DF again, although I'm still at the stage of not being able to feed and booze-up my starting 7.

But I have just generated a map which is so epic that I have to get better. It has an island that is 3x3 with a volcano in the middle. It has a glacier with a volcano in the middle. It has a valley between an elf and human settlement where I could throw up a wall and tax any traders. Also the whole damn map is an aquifier.

However as I can barely make much more than a hole in the dirt in a perfect start, I think I cannot yet handle such a large amount of FUN.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
winginson said:
This LP has gotten me into DF again, although I'm still at the stage of not being able to feed and booze-up my starting 7.

But I have just generated a map which is so epic that I have to get better. It has an island that is 3x3 with a volcano in the middle. It has a glacier with a volcano in the middle. It has a valley between an elf and human settlement where I could throw up a wall and tax any traders. Also the whole damn map is an aquifier.

However as I can barely make much more than a hole in the dirt in a perfect start, I think I cannot yet handle such a large amount of FUN.
1. Get lazy newb pack.
2. Use it to remove that annoying as hell aquifer.
3. Settle in a warm area. Dwarf's won't get maximum happiness but you never have to deal with your things freezing over. Winter just makes everything cool and your dwarf's happy in warm areas.

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
AlphaEcho said:
winginson said:

1. Get lazy newb pack.
2. Use it to remove that annoying as hell aquifer.
3. Settle in a warm area. Dwarf's won't get maximum happiness but you never have to deal with your things freezing over. Winter just makes everything cool and your dwarf's happy in warm areas.
Well now I've got a fairly well functioning 20 dwarf fortress. Currently building the "nobles quarters" (Their rooms are rigged to flood with lava). In several fortress time I might try that glacier volcano.

Thecard

Apr 27, 2011
winginson said:

How..? Did you do the advanced world gen screen? I can't figure that thing out at all.
Also, you may not be able to remove the aquifers once you've generated the map. You can make the dwarves able to swim so you can plug them up easier.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Thecard said:
winginson said:

How..? Did you do the advanced world gen screen? I can't figure that thing out at all.
Also, you may not be able to remove the aquifers once you've generated the map. You can make the dwarves able to swim so you can plug them up easier.
Editing to the raws to remove it will remove them from the save.