Let's Play Fallout: New Vegas [The Servant]

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Nyquisted said:
Well done, hope you keep going.
As do I. I really am starting to enjoy these types of LPs.

Anyway good job so far, can't wait to see how the rest of this goes.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
[HEADING=1]Mini-Update - Sequence Breaking and You[/HEADING]​
None of the following update is considered 'canon' in this LP. In the next update, Lily will begin her quest to find her father. This is an alternate universe, exactly like the one that our character lives in, except for one key difference. This particular Lily stumbled across a map right outside the Vault, telling her exactly where her father was. She went straight there. This is her story.

Do note, that this update will have major unmarked spoilers concerning our dad's whereabouts. If you're reading this LP and haven't played Fallout 3 before, you might want to skip this update entirely.

In this particular update, I want to talk about a common element of the main Fallout series: Sequence breaking. Those of you who have played games such as Metroid or Castlevania are probably aware of sequence breaking considering those series coined the term. The gist of it, is that you can do things in the order that is not the intended one. In the Fallout games, you can sequence break, to skip a large chunk, or almost all of the main quest, in the case of 1 and 2. That's exactly what we're going to do. Do note, the entire purpose of this update, is to show the sequence break and how easy it is, so any comments I have about the actual game will resume in the next update. I did add in some character dialogue in a couple of spots for the hell of it.

So we start off in front of Vault 101, where we left off. Where we want to go, Vault 112, is west of Vault 101.

All you have to do is really just know where the place is. I did use a guide to get there, I'll admit, but I probably could have found it without one if I needed to. The major difference between sequence breaking in 3 from 1 and 2, maybe New Vegas, is that it's really easy to do.

You can leave Vault 101 with about 16 stimpaks, which is a pretty decent amount of a character who is just starting out. You usually don't find that many stimpaks in a concentrated area in this game. You can leave with a 10mm pistol (Though we didn't), about 100 rounds worth of ammo for it, and a decent set of armor, the Vault Security Guard armor.

We get attacked by some raiders. They do a pretty decent amount of damage to us, but due to level scaling, they die pretty quickly. I don't have as much of an issue with leveling scaling in Fallout 3 than I do with Oblivion, but sometimes it's ridiculous. I know people complained about the Deathclaws in New Vegas, but at the very least they were a challenge you had to work to overcome. The difficulty curve of Fallout 3 starts off somewhat difficult, but then it stabilizes and stays rather easy for the entire game.

Admittedly, the first time I played Fallout 3, I had pretty much no idea what I was doing. The first time I played it was on the GOTY Edition on the 360. Played it for about 10 hours, didn't really get anywhere, then sold it. Eventually I picked up the PC version, and did much, much better.

Oh look, a guy with a 10mm pistol. Just what we need. Our melee skill is rather low due to our average Strength (5) so our baseball bat is really kind of crap, but it's the only option we have.

Now that we have the pistol, let's go on our merry way.

Oh shit, radscorpions. They are pretty bullet spongy, so attacking them would be pointless. They are incredibly slow though, so running past them is always an option. In fact, in New Vegas, if you go to Hidden Valley and run through Scorpion Gulch, you can skip all of settlements and get to New Vegas in about an hour or two if you're trying to sequence break and go straight to Benny. By far the fastest and easiest way, no sneaking past deathclaws or cazadores required.

"That seems like an interesting settlement. Wait... Is that a giant monster in a cage down there?

Evergreen Mills is probably the only interesting location we pass by on the way there.

And in about 15 minutes we make it there. Doesn't take too long at all, does it? This skips the entirety of the "Find Dad" questline by doing this. Too bad there isn't a way to skip Little Lamplight...

YOU HAVE ANGERED THE CONTINUITY GODS. FOR THAT YOU MUST DIE.

Seriously though, this is toughest group of mole rats I've ever fought. They can actually do some decent damage to you when you're on level 2, but so can everything else. It's just that there was like 4 of them, and all I had was a near broken 10mm pistol.

After that is taken care of, hit the switch on the wall. First time I played this, I was honestly surprised to learn that that button wasn't locked until you do the quest in the proper order.

"Another Vault?"

I still don't get what this Vault is doing underneath this building. Maybe there's some lore somewhere about it, but it's still weird. More on that when we actually get to that point during the game.

?Please re-dress in your Vault-Tec issued Vault suit before proceeding. If you have misplaced your suit, I am authorized to distribute a new one. Once dressed, please proceed down the stairs to the main floor so that you may enter your assigned Tranquility Lounger.?

You can break the sequence at any link of the "Find dad" quest in this game. Instead of talking to Moriarity, you can just talk to Three Dog. Instead of talking to Three Dog, you can just go straight to Rivet City. The same works in New Vegas as well.

NO STOP, DON'T DO THAT!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! YOU'LL-

And thus that particular Lily's universe collapsed upon itself.

In Fallout 1 and 2, you can pretty much skip the entire storyline and go straight to the end. It's almost impossible to actually beat that way, considering how strong the enemies would be. Not to mention you'd have to have a decent outdoorsman skill to avoid getting destroyed by random encounters along the way. It's still pretty hilarious though. In Fallout 2 you can go straight to Vault 13 to get the GECK, or even better, just straight to the Oil Rig and get it. New Vegas only allows you to skip most of the first act, just like 3, and it's a bit more difficult to do so.

Obviously sequence breaking is something you'd probably only do on repeat playthroughs, but I find that it's a bit too easy in this game. It does give you a quick way to skip talking to Three Dog, which is always a plus.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
This is great! I wish there was a whole section of these on Escapist. Nice job. Your writing is very good and interesting to read. I will definitely be coming back for the next entries.

Thanks for taking your time to make this for us. :)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
intheweeds said:
This is great! I wish there was a whole section of these on Escapist. Nice job. Your writing is very good and interesting to read. I will definitely be coming back for the next entries.

Thanks for taking your time to make this for us. :)
No problem, it's quite fun to write. Thanks for the compliments.

Fangv2

Jan 20, 2011
Good work. You can skip Little Lamplight you just need to level up a bit.

When you leave the Vault you hit lvl 2. The Tranquility Lane quest(depending on how you do it) + the random enemies you fought along the way should put you lvl 3. Then just do one quest or so to lvl up to 4, get the Child at Heart and Bam. Lamp Light is skipped.

You most likely already knew this but I was just informing you that you can sequence break pretty easily in Fallout 3.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Fangv2 said:
Good work. You can skip Little Lamplight you just need to level up a bit.

When you leave the Vault you hit lvl 2. The Tranquility Lane quest(depending on how you do it) + the random enemies you fought along the way should put you lvl 3. Then just do one quest or so to lvl up to 4, get the Child at Heart and Bam. Lamp Light is skipped.

You most likely already knew this but I was just informing you that you can sequence break pretty easily in Fallout 3.
Ah, forgot about Child at Heart. Tempting to do that for this LP, but Little Lamplight is something that shouldn't be skipped for the purposes of this LP.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
CM156 said:
Make sure you check the wiki if you plan on using Energy Weapons, because the bobblehead for that occurs in the main story, but you lose it forever if you don't get it at the right time.
I think there are only 2 (or 3 missible ones) the first one occurs at the beginning of the game on your dads desk is the medicine bobblehead,

the next one appears in megaton, depending on how the let's play fans out this one might be missible as well.

the last one appears when you are:

kidnapped by the enclave? I can't remember exactly where or when this happens but since you can't come back to the holding area they put you in you can miss this bobblehead aswell

other than that the rest of the bobbleheads can be grabbed from just backtracking. seems interesting for a let's play I'll keep an eye on it. I'm just a little confused as to what kind of input the readers are going to be giving (did you already decide on what to do with your first decision?)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Limecake said:
other than that the rest of the bobbleheads can be grabbed from just backtracking. seems interesting for a let's play I'll keep an eye on it. I'm just a little confused as to what kind of input the readers are going to be giving (did you already decide on what to do with your first decision?)
The poll is broken at the moment but as far as the major, huge karma changing things go I don't think I'm going to call a vote on that, since I'm trying to keep character. For example:

Megaton

Is not going to be something I'm going to have a vote on, simply because it doesn't make any sense for our character to pick the evil path in that situation. Other things though, like what places you want me to visit next, some less significant choices and what perks to pick are up in the air.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Just making sure, does anyone have any issues with the current format of the LP? Are the screenshots too large, too many, etc.?

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Is all cool man, in fact it's helped me really get into more in the LParchive.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
[HEADING=1]Chapter I ? Road to Megaton[/HEADING]​
We begin our journey to find dad in this update. I know what you?re probably thinking with this particular update?s title, Megaton is like right next to the Vault, can?t make much of an update out of that, right? Well, we?ll be taking a bit of a detour to Springvale and checking out the place.

After leaving the Vault, you instantly level up to level 2.

It was probably stupid not to put a few points in explosives for what is coming up next, but I?m pretty sure a mentat will fix that issue. I don?t know if I?ve mentioned it before, but with 10 INT you get a ridiculous amount of skill points.

Intense Training is really only extremely useful level 2 perk you can get. The others are variants of +5 to this skill, sans Swift Learner and Black Widow. You level up fast enough without Swift Learner, and Black Widow is pretty useful, but maybe a bit out of character for our character maybe? Might get it at a later date.

Put the point into agility, as we need more AP for VATS. I don?t really have much of a problem with shooting without VATS in Fallout 3 but early game it?s nice to have that extra AP when you?re not as accurate.

Megaton is at the right side of the screen, and we could get there in about a minute if we wanted to. Never realized how close it was till now. Let?s check out Springvale first though.

Springvale is a small town right by the Vault. All the buildings are in complete ruins, except for about two of them. Apparently, before the war, some of the people of Springvale were trying to apply for access into Vault 101.

In the mailboxes of some the houses, you can find a letters sent from Vault-Tec. There are two letters, one accepting them, and the other rejecting them. They?re pretty long, but kind of interesting, so I?ll spoiler them.

Dear Mr & Mrs Gomez:
Congratulations on your family's recent inclusion in the Vault 101 community!

You will find outlined in your application materials a full review of rules and procedures related to preparing for shelter in a Vault-Tec facility, but we will outline a few key points here:
- Vault-Tec provides all clothing, bedding, and accommodations for residents. Personal belongings must be reviewed and approved of by an authorized Vault-Tec hermetics technician before such belongings can be delivered to your reserved quarters within the Vault. In the event of an emergency entrance to the Vault, no personal belongings will be permitted beyond the main door of the facility.
- All Vault residents must attend an orientation seminar. If you did not attend such a seminar as part of the application process, you must make an appointment with your Vault-Tec representative.
- In the event of a Vault activation, whether actual or drill, Vault-Tec will sound a siren audible in the immediate vicinity of the Vault facility entrance, and residents will be contacted via holotape message at the phone number provided in their resident profile records. Please report promptly to Vault 101 to await admittance and processing upon such a notification.

Vault-Tec looks forward to having you and your family as valued residents! Be sure to present this letter to your Vault-Tec representative to receive your special, commemorative Vault Boy bobble-head toy! Sincerely;
Vault-Tec
Dept of Public Relations
Washington, DC

Dear Safety-Conscious Citizen -
We are writing to inform you that your family was not selected for inclusion in your chosen Vault-Tec facility. Your deposit has been retained, and your application added to a waiting list for your preferred Vault. In the interest of your family's security in the event of a minor nuclear event, please consider relocating to one of these areas, where Vault-Tec facilities are available without a waiting list:

For a full list of Vault-Tec facilities with available accommodations, in exciting locales such as Oklahoma and newly-annexed Canada, contact your local Vault-Tec representative!
Vault-Tec wishes you and your family the best of luck in the uncertain future. Best regards;
Vault-Tec
Public Relations Dept
Washington, DC

I?ve never ran into these little notes before. If I hadn?t checked the Vault wiki for any interesting tidbits about Springvale, I would have never found them. It?s nice how Bethesda adds these little interesting tidbits of information in places you?d probably never look.

Oh look, an Enclave eyebot. Huh. Well I?m sure the Enclave will never come up again in this game, considering they were almost completely wiped out in Fallout 2.

?

Right?

Believe it or not, I actually missed this sign the first time I played through the game. I actually got to Tenpenny Tower before Megaton, just wandering around exploring locations. I even complained that I couldn?t find any settlements at all in this game. Didn?t really pay much attention to the main quest, but I didn?t even notice the sign while walking through Springvale, or the huge monstrous chunk of metal across the landscape. Must have been blind.

Oh look, a Nuka-Cola machine. Remarkably well intact, well in comparison to everything scorched around it. The Nuka-Cola is still good too, though I wonder how flat it is after 200 years.

As we explore the city, we notice a house that?s still intact. We?ll go inside later, that is part of a quest in Megaton.

The other, still intact building is the Springvale Elementary school. If you didn?t go straight to Megaton, this will probably be the first location you encounter. Let?s check it out.

Christ, that?s depressing. One thing about Fallout 3, is that they really toned up the grim dark. While the main story of the game is pretty idealistic, just the world around you absolutely sucks. Not saying the other games weren?t dark either, but at least there was a good amount of humor in them. (3 attempts at humor at some points, but some of it falls pretty flat, and other times it feels out of place.) I know some people say ?Well it?s a post apocalyptic game, of course it?s going to be dark and depressing? but it?s been 200 years after that particular apocalypse. In the other games, civilization is at the very least starting to rebuild, while apparently in the Captial Wasteland, people are still scavenging for food like the war happened only a few decades ago. The 200 years issue is a huge problem I have with this game, and so I?m probably going to end up bringing it up a few more times.

Got to admit though, Bethesda does do environmental storytelling pretty well.

Okay, I gotta ask. What?s the purpose of that? That?s just really got to smell bad after awhile.

We sneak up on a raider and crack him over the head with our bat. Melee isn?t our forte, but it works well enough.

Oh look, he drops a Chinese Pistol. Great. Maybe give us a straw and some paper to make spitballs instead. That way we can actually be slightly more effective at killing these guys, in comparison with the Chinese Pistol. Absolutely useless.

Mmm. More Nuka-Cola. Doesn?t heal as much as it does in New Vegas, but it?s instant, instead of over time.

Stimpaks and chems galore. While searching the bathrooms, some raiders nearby are alerted to our location.

This would be rather scary, if it weren?t for the fact that the raiders were comically repeating the same line over and over again. It?s odd, because it?s not like any other Gamebyro game has that probl-

?I?ve fought Mudcrabs fiercer than you!?

?Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.?

Somehow the melee combat in this game is better than Oblivion.

We sneak up on another raider and stab him with our knife. While our sneak skill is pretty low, it gets the job done.

10mm pistol? Awesome. An actually decent firearm for us then.

:C

Stealth is pretty decent in this game, if a bit wonky.

We encounter two raiders in the library upstairs. Shouldn?t be too hard for us-

Augh, my legs! I don?t remember guys having access to frag grenades this early on.

VATS is awesome, as always. I don?t think it ever gets really old for me, but the problem is that is slows down the game significantly.

Another useless pistol. The .32 pistol sucks, not helped by the fact that it eats useful hunting rifle ammo. Why couldn?t they have scrapped this gun for a Desert Eagle instead?

As you can see, the multiple headshots to the dog with the .32 pistol do fuck all.

The 10mm still puts him down quickly though. I honestly don?t see the purpose of the Chinese Pistol, nor the .32 pistol either. Could have scrapped them for more interesting guns. It?s odd that the Chinese Pistol sucks so much, considering the Chinese Assault Rifle kicks ass.

What a weird hat. This isn?t Team Fortress 2, come on.

Sawed off shotgun. Not particularly useful when you get the combat shotgun, but still it?s a shotgun. Shotguns are fun to use, period. I?ve yet to see a shooter screw up having a shotgun that isn?t fun to use. Can someone prove me wrong on that?

There?s an explosives skill book, ?Duck and Cover!? and a terminal on this desk. Terminal has some entries on it.

Oh look, a bed. I was tired anyway, let?s take a nap. After an hour?s sleep, both of our crippled legs are fully healed. I guess getting a good night?s sleep is truly the key to leading a healthy live.

One more thing we need before heading down into the basement.

And we get ambushed by a guy in an equally silly hat. Attacking us with a pool cue.

VATS sure makes capturing these screenshots easy.

Like I said. Shotgun = badass, it?s impossible for one not to be.

Taping these two combat knifes together improves their condition. The main difference between 3 and New Vegas repairing is that the condition caps out depending on your skill in 3, while in New Vegas, repair just effects how effective your repairs are.

Underneath the school, is a tunnel the Raiders were digging trying to get into the Vault. Don?t remember any useful items being down here, but it might be interesting to show off. Not wasting any ammo on these ants though.

Melee VATS is strange. You can?t target particular body parts like you can with guns. I don?t get why.

Awful lot of ants down here. Good thing they don?t breathe fire.

Crap, that?s way more ants than I can handle. Better run back up to the school.

Manage to pop one of the ants with the shotgun while escaping.

Oh right, I still had a frag grenade that I looted. Well, now is as good a time as any to use it.

And that cleared the entire room. Awesome. I wonder, is there any loot lying around here that I missed on previous playthroughs.

Wow, some stimpaks, a sneak skill book and an assault rifle. Never found this before. You can get a ridiculous amount of weapons early on this way, I heard something about a hunting rifle being right outside the school as well, is that true?

Well, it?s time to leave the school.

This little section is kind of a dick move if this is your first time playing the game. You get attacked pretty much on all sides by raiders, and unless you see it coming, you?re going to get hurt pretty bad.

The AI in this game isn?t too bright.

Equipped the Vault Security armor for extra damage resistance and because (In my opinion) it looks pretty cool.

Long range combat this early in the game is a pain in the ass.

Managed to take her down with little ammo wasted though. I?m not much of a min-max?er in these kinds of games, but conversing ammo is my number one goal. That?s why in New Vegas, Old World Blues on hard at Level 40 was a nightmare. The enemies. Just. Wouldn?t. Die.

Took a bit of damage during that fight, healed up a bit with a couple of stimpaks. 22 stimpaks is a lot more than I usually have at the beginning of this game. Maybe it?s just luck?

At any rate, we?re back on track to Megaton. Sorry for taking so long, Springvale Elementary is one of my favorite ?dungeons? in this game.

Megaton looks utterly foreign and alien on the outside. Seems pretty cool, but it?s kind of disappointing when you enter.

In order to keep the topic somewhat active, I have a question for you guys. Do you have any interesting stories about things you did in Fallout 3? Or any Fallout for that matter?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
In order to keep the topic somewhat active, I have a question for you guys. Do you have any interesting stories about things you did in Fallout 3? Or any Fallout for that matter?
Actually, yes.

(It?s important to know that at this time, I?d never heard of, much less seen, a Deathclaw)
On my first playthough of Fallout 3, I was out strolling to go to the Republic of Dave. I was a decent level and I had good enough weapons and armor, so I mopped up what few things were in my way.

It was getting late, so I switched my Pip-Boy light on and planned to find a safe spot to rest. I tried to rest, but it didn?t let me. Odd, though I. So I turned 180 degrees just to see a Deathclaw jumping at me.

I screamed at the top of my lungs. That was one of the scariest things I?d ever seen in a game before.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
CM156 said:
Actually, yes.

(It?s important to know that at this time, I?d never heard of, much less seen, a Deathclaw)
On my first playthough of Fallout 3, I was out strolling to go to the Republic of Dave. I was a decent level and I had good enough weapons and armor, so I mopped up what few things were in my way.

It was getting late, so I switched my Pip-Boy light on and planned to find a safe spot to rest. I tried to rest, but it didn?t let me. Odd, though I. So I turned 180 degrees just to see a Deathclaw jumping at me.

I screamed at the top of my lungs. That was one of the scariest things I?d ever seen in a game before.
Republic of Dave is pretty close Old Olney, right? My first encounter with a deathclaw in 3 was in broad daylight, that much I remember.

The Deathclaw fight is nearly impossible in Fallout 1 at the level you're intended to do it, if you have the fast shot trait. I didn't realize how much I screwed up until I realized that I couldn't hit the eyes, it's only weak spot. No amount of save scumming or lowering the difficulty could save me. So before the endgame, I came back with power armor and a combat shotgun, and got vengeance. It's weird how in the first game, deathclaws were supposed to be myths, but by the time of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they're pretty commonplace.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
CM156 said:
Actually, yes.

Republic of Dave is pretty close Old Olney, right? My first encounter with a deathclaw in 3 was in broad daylight, that much I remember.

The Deathclaw fight is nearly impossible in Fallout 1 at the level you're intended to do it, if you have the fast shot trait. I didn't realize how much I screwed up until I realized that I couldn't hit the eyes, it's only weak spot. No amount of save scumming or lowering the difficulty could save me. So before the endgame, I came back with power armor and a combat shotgun, and got vengeance. It's weird how in the first game, deathclaws were supposed to be myths, but by the time of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they're pretty commonplace.
I'd put Death Claws as one of "those" foes.

Anyone who plays RPGs knows what I'm talking about. The ones that will wipe the floor with you at lower levels, which is why it's all the more fun to come back at higher levels and turn them into mush.

Another funny time was when I was sniping at Caesar's Legion near their encampment. I shot a guy in the legs, but because I was on a low difficulty and maxed at guns, he crumpled over and died.
How?

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Ooh, I've got a story.

It pertains to the quest "Those!" so I'll stick it in a spoiler tag. Also it's pretty long.
So first time playing the game, I leave the Super Duper mart after finishing my business in there for Moira's quest. As I'm leaving Brian Wilks comes up screaming about monsters killing his family and yada yada. I accept the quest, though I didn't ask about what kind of monsters they are, so I got no idea. Right outside of Greyditch, I run into a half-dead deathclaw and barely survive by the skin of my teeth (I wasn't a very high level at the time, couldn't have been over 8 I think). Not knowing that I'm actually supposed to be fighting ants, I assume that deathclaws are the monsters this kid is talking about.
So I basically think "This kid wants me to fight a whole town of these things when I can barely survive one whose almost dead? Screw that mess." Then I go off and play the rest of the game. Around level 18 I was looking through my pip-boy for something to do as I was putting off finishing the main quest so I could do more side missions, and I remember Those! was still unfinished.
At this point I'm decked out in Tesla armor and sporting a kick-ass plasma rifle, and I've already had to kill several deathclaws, so I figure I stock up on supplies and make it an awesome climatic showdown where at the end I'm standing on a pile of dead deathclaws, shouting to the heavens about how awesome I am.
Imagine my disappointment when I get there and it turns out to just be fire-breathing ants. So I anti-climatically just wipe the whole lot of them out and sate my lust for deathclaw blood by clearing out Old Olney again.

Fangv2

Jan 20, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Megaton is at the right side of the screen, and we could get there in about a minute if we wanted to. Never realized how close it was till now. Let's check out Springvale first though.
Wait. Megaton is what brown smudge on the right side of the screen? :p

Fallout 3 storys... Fallout 3 storys... Got nothing really. Sadly. The only thing that comes close to a "story" was in New Vegas when Veronica decided it was a good idea to glitch into a table/safe in the Lucky 38.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
My truly only amazing story had to be like my FIRST play through of FO 3. So as I was going to the Super Duper Mart for Moria's quest( I do this first every play through, gives me my hunting rifle, supplies, some explosives and the raider armor actually isn't that bad in 3). I had watched my dad play so I knew to expect raiders and maybe a Wastelander, what I wasn't expecting was a bunch of bodies, a destroyed eye-bot and Deathclaw. I freaked out and actually killed the bastard with my 10mm somehow and picked up the schematics for the deathcalw guantlet off of one of the raiders, I felt like I couldn't be touched for the first half of the game needless to say.