Let's Play Fallout: New Vegas [The Servant]

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
Okay, Fallout related question 3: What's the most catchy song used in a Fallout game? Not your personal favorite, but the one that gets stuck in your head the most.

For me, it's a tie between "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" and "Dear Hearts and Gentle People".
Yes, good riddance to Moira, I think Bethesda wanted her to be the "so annoying, yet still lovable" kind of character, didn't work on me though, I just found her annoying. And the fact that she doesn't die when you blow up Megaton didn't help with my disposition.

Anyway, the ones that get stuck in my head are "Maybe", "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" and "Big Iron".

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
AlternatePFG said:
Okay, Fallout related question 3: What's the most catchy song used in a Fallout game? Not your personal favorite, but the one that gets stuck in your head the most.

For me, it's a tie between "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" and "Dear Hearts and Gentle People".
Yes, good riddance to Moira, I think Bethesda wanted her to be the "so annoying, yet still lovable" kind of character, didn't work on me though, I just found her annoying. And the fact that she doesn't die when you blow up Megaton didn't help with my disposition.

Anyway, the ones that get stuck in my head are "Maybe", "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" and "Big Iron".
Yeah, I get why people hate her though.

I forgot about "Big Iron", that's really catchy too. Played a bit too much, but it's a cool song.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
For today's mini-update, I decided to do an in-character journal, as a kind of recap for what happened so far. Kind of in the vein of the Vault Dweller's Memoir's [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_Dweller's_memoirs] (If you haven't read it before, read it. It's pretty interesting, it establishes the canon endings from Fallout 1. Poor Ian and Dogmeat, only Dogmeat died in my playthrough.) from Fallout 2. I realize, we really haven't got very far at all in the game, but I plan on doing one after every major step in the game's story and hopefully there will be more stuff in between for the next one.

If you would like to look at it that way, it's a mini-LP going along with the main one.

The actual update will be later on today. And I got a surprise that I'm going to hold onto for a bit, but just giving you guys something to look forward to.

[HEADING=1]Lily's Log - The Story So Far....[/HEADING]​
I keep going over what happened in the Vault. Everything happened so quickly, I still can't completely comprehend what happened. Maybe going over what's happened so far will help me come to terms with things...

It all began when Amata woke me up, with a look of panic on her face. I asked her what was wrong, and she told me that my dad had left, and the Overseer had Jonas killed. There was not enough time for me to process everything that was going on, as Amata said that I had to leave as well, before the Overseer kills me.

I had no idea what was outside the Vault obviously, but I didn't have a choice. I had to leave, I could hear the chaos just outside the room. Amata offered me her father's pistol, but I refused, saying she would need it more. I wasn't going to hurt anyone unless I had to...

I ran out of my room, and into the hallway. I could see a guard fighting with a radroach on the other end, he was too preoccupied with the radroach to pay any attention to me. I was stopped by Butch on the way out, begging me to save his mom from the radroaches. While I hate Butch, there was no reason for me not to save her. She was being attacked by radroaches, and I quickly killed them before they could hurt her anymore. Still have no idea how these things are dangerous, well at least in comparison to the raiders out here. Butch offered me his ugly jacket as a reward. I would let him keep it, but he insisted.

I kept on running through the Vault, avoiding the guards and trying to get to the Overseer's office and to the Vault door. Another man tried to escape by the Vault and was brutally gunned down by the guards. They all blamed me for what had happened, even though I had no idea what my dad was going to do until now.

Eventually I came across Amata, talking to the Overseer and Officer Mack. She had her gun drawn, and was backed into a corner. Before I could intervene, I was attacked by one of the guards. After the fight with the guard, I heard gunshots, and Officer Mack was dead on the ground. Amata ran off and I confronted the Overseer.

The Overseer was obviously angry with me, and I was angry with him. He killed Jonas, and he attempted to kill me. As much as I tried to keep a level head, I ended up calling him a murderer. He did not take it so well, and called the guards on me and attacked. I was forced to retaliate...

I could have handled that better, I admit, but part of me wanted revenge on him.

Amata was angry at me, to say the least. She said she didn't want to talk to me and ran off.

I found Jonas's body on the ground, with a note from my father on it. Hoping I would find answers I listened to it. Instead, more questions just arose. What was worth abandoning me down here to die? Why didn't he tell me?

I was determined to find him after reading that note. My goal before was just to get the hell out of the Vault and survive, but I have to know why he left.

Eventually, I made it to the Vault door. Before activating it, Amata came up to me. She was furious with me. I told her that there was nothing left for her in the Vault and that she should come with me, but she was much too angry with me. I understood, and activated the door. Guards came running after me, but for some reason they stopped following me after I left the confines of the Vault. I walked through the small wooden door and the end of the tunnel, opened it, and was blinded by a flash of light...

When my eyes adjusted, I could see the rubble of the old world stretching across the horizon. I was happy to be free, and finally out of the confines of the Vault, but at the same time, I had know idea how to survive out here.

Wandering aimlessly, I came across a school in the wreckage of a town that was right outside the Vault. My curiosity got the better of me, and I entered the building. The first sight I saw horrified me, skeletons everywhere on the ground, and mangled corpses hanging from the ceiling. I heard the sounds of people in the building and while in hindsight, what I did next was extremely stupid, I tried to catch a glimpse of them.

I really had no idea if there were many people still alive out here. The man greeted me with his gun, the shot barely missed. I didn't give him a chance to make another. These people were unhinged, you could tell that by all the mangled bodies everywhere. I hid out in the buildings bathroom, hearing the taunts of the murderers who were searching the building for me. I had a knife in my hand, ready to attack if they walked by.

Somehow, I cleared the building of them. I checked out the basement of the school, and was attacked by giant ants. Much more dangerous than radroaches, but I still managed to flatten them with my baseball bat from the Vault. I found a couple of bodies in the basement, the terminal upstairs talked about how the raiders forced them to work down here. Apparently they were trying to dig their way through to the Vault.

I shudder to think what would have happened if they got through.

I left the school, with some medicine, weapons, and ammo I scavenged from the building. From the Overseer's terminal, I learned there was a settlement nearby by the name of Megaton. I was not sure how sane these people would be either though. The city looked like a giant piece of metal, just sitting on the horizon. It was not far at all from the Vault, I probably should have went there first instead.

I met with the sheriff (Who also was the mayor of the town) Lucas Simms, and he seemed like an alright sort. At least gave me a better impression than the raiders. Apparently Megaton is built around one of those atom bombs. The ones that were used during the Great War, 200 years ago. I asked him why they built their town around a bomb that could go off at any moment, but he just avoided the question and walked away. I decided to check out the saloon in the town, as that's probably the best place for me to get answers.

Before I could speak with owner, a man sitting in the corner of the bar told me to come over and have a chat with him. His name was Mr. Burke, and he gave me a simple proposition: Activate the bomb in the center of Megaton, and I would be rewarded handsomely for my efforts. Obviously, I refused to do so, any sane person would. Why would you wipe out an entire cities worth of people, just because the city looks ugly. I ran off to find Simms to warn him.

Simms agreed that Burke was no good, and confronted him. For some reason, Simms turned his back on Burke, which gave Burke time to pull out his gun. I was too fast for him though, shooting the gun out of his hands, and then finishing him. Simms was greatful for me saving him.

I didn't like how these people had to live in constant fear of this bomb going off. I offered to help fix it, and Simms cautiously let me take a look at it. Somehow, I managed to fix the bomb, and Simms was greatful for it. He gave me the keys to a house in the town, and said I was now a citizen of Megaton. I like Simms, he means well at least.

After checking out my new home (Much better than my cramped room in the Vault anyway), I decided to head back to the saloon again, this time to talk with the owner. His name was Moriarty, a real asshole. This town would be much better without him, but he was my only link to finding my dad. He said something that surprised me though... I was born outside the Vault, and my dad returned to the Vault with me, to keep me safe.

It made sense actually. I never felt like I belonged in the Vault, and some of the adults seemed to look at me differently.

He offered to give me information on my dad's whereabouts, in exchange for 100 caps. I had no idea what caps were until now, apparently they're the currency around here. If only I took the bottle cap collection I had in the Vault, I'd actually might have enough...

Since I didn't have the money, Moriarty did me a 'favor' and gave me a job to get the 100 caps. Said some drug addict ripped him off or something, I really didn't care. I wanted to be away from that place as fast as I could.

The women who owed Moriarty money was hiding out in Springvale, not too far from the school I visited. She was paranoid and scared out of her mind by the time I got there. I really didn't want anyone to get hurt, so I offered to take the caps and tell Moriarty that she was dead. She agreed.

I came back to Moriarty and reluctantly gave him the caps. He told me that my dad was at Galaxy News Radio, apparently some kind of radio station in the middle of the DC ruins. From idle chat I heard around Megaton, apparently DC is some sort of warzone. He didn't give me any more details than that, the bastard. I have no idea why my dad would associate wit him.

Before I left the town, I stopped by the general store to buy some supplies. The owner's name was Moira. She was... interesting. Her voice was rather grating and unintentionally insulting at times, but she tried to be nice at least. She had a Vault 101 suit hung up behind her, but there was some modifications done to it. When I asked her of it's origins, she told me around 10 years ago, a girl escaped from Vault 101 and Moira offered to armor it for her. She was never heard from again.

So, my dad wasn't the first person to leave the Vault. Why haven't I heard of this before? Why did the Overseer react in such a way? These questions will never be answered. I can never returned to the Vault and even if I could, the Overseer is dead.

Moira gave me that suit for helping her out with a foreword to a "Wasteland Survival Guide" she is writing. She offered to pay me if I helped her out more, but I politely refused. She took it very well, it'd take a lot to dampen the spirits of a person like that. Right now, I'm focusing on finding my dad. If I return to Megaton, I might though. I need the caps, and I want to help people out by helping Moira write the guide...

I don't know what waits for me in the ruins of the Old World. I will never return to the Vault, and I'll probably never return to Megaton either. This will probably be a one way trip. The wasteland has been the death of many who are much more experienced than me, but I'm going to continue on anyway. I must find out why, even if it kills me...
What did you guys think of it? I'm not continuing the Let's Play in the narrative style, but would you like me to do this every once in awhile? I attempted to keep it in character, with the limited knowledge that a Vault Dweller would have of the outside world, but I really don't know what I'm doing with this.

Question #4: What is your favorite of all songs used in Fallout?

"Dear Hearts and Gentle People" is my favorite, and the most catchy for me. I just can't stop listening to it.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
What did you guys think of it? I'm not continuing the Let's Play in the narrative style, but would you like me to do this every once in awhile? I attempted to keep it in character, with the limited knowledge that a Vault Dweller would have of the outside world, but I really don't know what I'm doing with this.
I like it. Though if I had to offer up one critique, it didn't sound like something someone with an intelligence of 10 would write. Other than than that though, I like it.
AlternatePFG said:
Well, I do relly like this one

"Maybe" and "Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall" are close seconds.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
It's cool, but it's a bit too long for a journel entry. Also being a type of journel entry you should include dates and maybe even times (using the games own clock) to make it more jounel-ish.

"Dear Hearts and Gentle People" is my favorite, and the most catchy for me. I just can't stop listening to it.
Dear Hearts is a good song, it's just a shame it didn't appear in the actual game.

For me personally, I don't really have a no. 1 favourite...it's either "Maybe", "Big Iron", "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle", "Blue Moon" or "I Don't Want to set The World on Fire".

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Dear Hearts is a good song, it's just a shame it didn't appear in the actual game.

For me personally, I don't really have a no. 1 favourite...it's either "Maybe", "Big Iron", "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle", "Blue Moon" or "I Don't Want to set The World on Fire".
Oh crap, it didn't?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dear_Hearts_and_Gentle_People

Oh, that makes sense now. When I looked it up under Youtube, there was a thing for Fallout 3 in there. The radio expansion mod that I always have installed adds it back to the game, so I assume it ways always in the game.

I'll guess I'll change my answer to "Maybe" then.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
Oh crap, it didn't?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dear_Hearts_and_Gentle_People

Oh, that makes sense now. When I looked it up under Youtube, there was a thing for Fallout 3 in there. The radio expansion mod that I always have installed adds it back to the game.

I'll guess I'll change my answer to "Maybe" then.
Yeah, it's a real shame because it is a great song.

Also I just remembered the songs that Obsidian made...

I wish this song was played on the radio...
Oh, and yes I am aware this song is ased on "Home on the Range"

I'm glad they added this to the radio in Old World Blues...

These are also some good songs.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Now for the second update for today. If anyone is curious, I do plan on doing all of the marked side quests in this game that I can. As far as unmarked side quests and particular locations go, make me aware of them and I might end up doing it. Don't ask for the Dunwich Building, I plan on doing that when we get the related quest in Point Lookout, so we don't have to visit it twice. It's really a great area though.

[HEADING=1]Chapter IV - 200 Years Old and These Chips Still Aren't Stale[/HEADING]​
So now we leave Megaton, and head to DC to find our dad. I have a feeling that things are going to be easier said than done.

Not shown: Me grabbing the strength bobblehead and a hunting rifle from Lucas Simms house.

We got south east to get to the city. We need to go through the metro tunnels to get to GNR. They're a mess to navigate, more on that later.

You can see the ruins of the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument in the distance. For being a game from 2008, the scenery in this game still is pretty impressive, it's rough in some areas. (Broken down buildings up close) Of course, the actual NPC animations in this game are terrible.

We come across the ruins of a house and this when things get weird. I don't know if this is some sort of botched random encounter or a glitch, but I was confused as hell for awhile and freaked out. Wasn't able to get as many screenshots as I'd like because of it.

There is a skeleton in the bathtub inside this house.

A wastelander attacks and kills a bloatfly nearby. A weird sound goes off, like the sound of an energy weapon reloading...

And out of nowhere, that wastelander promptly explodes. Before I had enough time to react, I was ambushed by a group of raiders with good weapons. One of them even has a flamer.

And I didn't have the firepower to fight them all off, so I died. With the glitchiness of the Gamebryo engine, it's hard to tell whether something random is done on purpose or not. I think this was meant to be a random encounter, but something messed up the scripting somewhere along the long, as there was no reason for that Wastelander to explode (No bomb collar or gunfire nearby) and for that weird energy weapon sound to play. (Wastelander was wielding a baseball bat). Who knows. Not shown: Me walking all the way back to that house again.

I returned to house, staying cautious of any nearby raiders. That wastelander nor those raiders appeared this time around. That house had a stealth skillbook, and that was about it. Skill books are nothing to scoff at though.

Someone approached nearby, but it turned out just to be a scavenger. The scavenger didn't have much, so we just don't bother buying anything. I have a habit of saving up caps early on in the game.

We can see the Super Duper Mart not too far from here. There's some nice stuff in there, let's check it out.

More hanging corpses. Sometimes this gives me the impression that they don't want us to go in there. Ah, well.

Our aim could be a little better, but with a decent guns skill you can still be effective enough. We could still use a bit more firepower though, I think the hunting rifle will fix that particular problem until we can repair the pistol to a decent level.

VATS helps alot with these fights with multiple enemies. The huge amount of damage reduction you get makes you practically invincible, and you can do quite a few stupid things and still get away with it. (Like close range grenade throwing.)

Apparently this random mook has a Chinese Officer's sword on him. Wonder how he got it. Oh well, it's ours now. Our melee skill is only like 17 or something though, so it's pretty useless for us.

We sneak into the Super Duper Mart. The raiders have set up camp here, with a person walking on top of the shelves patrolling the place. It's an easy shot for us with our new hunting rifle.

Oh, shiny laser pistol. Our energy weapons skill is pretty crap as well, but shut up.

Why is it... glowing?

The refrigerator has some food that is surprisingly still edible even though it's been two centuries since the Great War. I bet those potato crisps are stale as hell.

One of the other major problems I have with the setting this game takes place in, is that people are still scavenging for food. There are no farms, they have Brahmin but there doesn't seem to be any grass for them to eat. All you can buy at stores is the 200 year old stuff you find, somehow still edible. Hell, in Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas there are farms. And guess what?

Those games took place is fucking deserts. The Capital Wasteland should be much more fertile than that.

Mmmm. That's good, presumably freeze dried, 200 year old Salisbury Steak. With a hint of a radiation.

The Super Duper Mart has got some nice stuff, loot-wise. Have to be careful for raiders though, there's more than you would think here.

I try to be sneaky and shoot this raider from behind. A shelf or something is obscuring the view, I don't know.

More raiders pour out of the rooms to greet us. They're easy to take down one at a time, they don't have much armor. Super Duper Mart probably took me a few reloads on my first time through the game. If you run through here and grab the attention of all the raiders, you're screwed.

Okay there is something definitely wrong with that laser pistol.

When I looked into it, there was a problem with a texture from a mod I thought I deleted. Was an easy fix, my bad there.

Somehow we still manage to sneak around even though there just was a loud gunfight in the middle of the room. Either these raiders are too drugged up to notice, or this game's AI is extremely dumb.

I'm willing to bet on the latter.

Two direct shots in the head from the sawed off shotgun take this guy down. A shame we are almost completely out of ammo here, but we can always find more ammo for it. (We'll be getting the much better combat shotgun soon anyway.)

Apparently all the raiders slept in the bathrooms.

I didn't even remember how early you could get a hunting rifle in this game. While it nearly isn't as powerful as it is in New Vegas, it's still a weapon that has high damage, is easily repairable, and the ammo is numerous.

1 shotted the raider, and I wasn't even in sneak.

Ugh hacking. I really don't like hacking with a low science skill. Unlike lock picking, it can take awhile and isn't very fun. Here's a few screenshots of my failed attempt to hack the door.

You find any complete brackets (Like (), [], etc.) you can eliminate one of the passwords. I'm not sure that's how hacking actually works, but what do I know.

Eventually I just say screw it and try to lockpick door. Unfortunately, my lockpick isn't high enough. Ah well, we'll probably want to return here for the Nuka Cola Quantum sidequest anyway, so we can move on for now. We level up be picking the lock of a random nearby box.

Currently, speech and repair are our highest skills. That's what you guys wanted, right?

One thing I do like maxing out on is potential skill points. This gives another skill point for skill books, and we already have quite a few skill books in our inventory anyway.

I fail to see the purpose of a bottlecap mine. That's good money your wasting, there are plenty of frag mines scattered around the wasteland.

At first I thought it was a C4, but then I remembered this game didn't have any. I play too much New Vegas.

The Super Duper Mart was an interesting detour. It's related to a couple of sidequests, namely Moira's book and the Nuke Cola Challenge, both quests which we'll hopefully get to later.

There's a metro tunnel that will lead us to Galaxy News Radio across that river. Should be a simple task. There's a group of raiders set up on the other side, maybe I can ambush them.

Before I could attack though, the raiders were attacked by something else. I couldn't tell from this distance... Wait...

Are those super mutants?

Took out the remaining raiders before dealing with the bigger threat.

We have to sneak up on them. at least one of them has a minigun. That will chew us up if we cross the river the quick way.

But we're interrupted by Talon Mercenaries. The fight between the raiders and super mutants always happens, but I've never had Talon Mercs interrupt the fight as well. Things got... interesting.

They were fighting us in melee combat, and we didn't really have a gun suited to it. Pulled out the Chinese sword and started slashing.

As you can see, it was still pretty effective. VATS really breaks the game at times. It's not so much the stop time thing, is that it's the "You only take 10% of normal damage" that does it.

Talon Combat Armor is pretty good armor that is easy to find (You continually get attacked by Talon mercs if you're a good character.) and repair. Let's hold onto it.

I try to surprise them with a frag grenade, but it doesn't do much at all.

Pictured but hard to see: A hand grenade sailing gracefully through the air

Well, it says they are super mutants, but they don't look like super mutants. And I thought the super mutants were mostly wiped out by the Vault Dweller, most of the surviving one would be on the other side of the coast. I'm confused. (Yes, I know it's explained later on, I'll get to that when it comes up. It's still an ass pull so that they can justify Super Mutants being in this game though.)

Like I predicted, the minigun chews us up badly.

Not pictured: Me using a couple of stimpaks to heal up.

He eventually goes down though, falling into the river below. The ragdoll physics in this game are silly most of the time, but taking down bigger enemies does feel pretty satisfying.

The Super Mutants have some pretty decent stuff on them.

The raiders didn't stand a chance, they were attacked on two sides.

The raiders in this game are kind of weird. They don't really seem to form factions of their own and it feels like there's just one huge group of assholes in the capital wasteland, working together to make everyone miserable.

There's a medkit and some ammo in that little alcove down there. Worth going through the fight with the mutants/raiders.

As night falls, we stand in front of the entrance to the metro. We need to go through here to get to GNR and meet Three Dog.

Let's hope it's worth it.

It's not.

Okay, next question: What games in the series have you played? (Not necessarily to completion.)

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Okay, next question: What games in the series have you played? (Not necessarily to completion.)
Only Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I don't really game on my PC much, so I've not touched 1 and 2. But I likely will sometime soon. Ish. Maybe.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
Well, I've played the hell out of Fallout 3 and New Vegas (In fact, I recently started a video let's play of 3. Kind of funny that we started around the same time). I do own Fallouts 1, 2, and Tactics, but I haven't gotten far at all in those because I'm terrible at them.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Dr_Horrible said:
AlternatePFG said:
Well, I've played the hell out of Fallout 3 and New Vegas (In fact, I recently started a video let's play of 3. Kind of funny that we started around the same time). I do own Fallouts 1, 2, and Tactics, but I haven't gotten far at all in those because I'm terrible at them.
It's very hard to go from 3/New Vegas into 1, 2, and Tactics, I know that from experience. Especially with random encounters in 2, they'll wreck you if you aren't prepared or if you don't save scum. Don't expect your first character to be successful at all, in two it took me about 2 prior attempts to actually make any progress in it.

Good luck on your Let's Play by the way. If you'd like, you could post your videos in this topic. I'd link them in the OP, and that way it'd help you get some views and keep this topic bumped. :)

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
Dr_Horrible said:
AlternatePFG said:
It's very hard to go from 3/New Vegas into 1, 2, and Tactics, I know that from experience. Especially with random encounters in 2, they'll wreck you if you aren't prepared or if you don't save scum. Don't expect your first character to be successful at all, in two it took me about 2 prior attempts to actually make any progress in it.

Good luck on your Let's Play by the way. If you'd like, you could post your videos in this topic. I'd link them in the OP, and that way it'd help you get some views and keep this topic bumped. :)
Yeah, when I have some time to experience total frustration, I'm going to be working to actually get good at the original games :)

Thanks for the offer on featuring my let's play with the OP, and I'll post the link here and leave it up to you whether or not you want to put it up here, as It's my first let's play and I'm still working out the kinks :)

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
I have a feeling very few are going to pay attention to your little pieces of analysis in your LP, oh well, I'm enjoying it so far. I like LPs that can be both entertaining and insightful.

As for your question I've played Fallout 1,2,3 and New Vegas.

I also have Tactics but for some reason it doesn't work so I haven't played it.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
The author of the OP has, very kindly, offered to let me post my video Let's Play of Fallout 3 in this thread, hopefully providing extra entertainment value to you all. I currently have 5 episodes uploaded and 1 recorded, and I plan to post these here daily.

Hopefully you all enjoy, and thanks again to AlternatePFG for allowing me to post these here :)

With the first few episodes of this let' play, it goes through the (rather long) forced tutorial of living in the vault. Just a warning.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Most of them, but I've barely played 1 & 2. I got a lot of fun out of Tactics, up until the damned super mutants anyway. Also the bottle cap mine I also find useless(I find all mines useless) but for like ten caps we can make something that's worth WAY more.

Fangv2

Jan 20, 2011
AlternatePFG said:

Question 3: "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" by Kay Kyser, "Butcher Pete" by Roy Brown, and "Big Iron" by Marty Robbins

Question 4: "Civilization (Bingo Bango Bongo)" by The Andrews Sister and "Big Iron" by Marty Robbins

Question 5: 3 and New Vegas. Completed 3 once, and New Vegas almost twice. So close on my second run on New Vegas. First one was Yes Man, and the Second one is House.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Now, to get things started for the day, here is episode 2 of Dr. Horrible's video Let's Play

wherein young Liam is faced with a surprise party and extreme rudeness.

EDIT: I have a question, what is your favorite part of the Fallout 'verse? Gameplay, story, setting, or something else?

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
[HEADING=1]Chapter V - Welcome to the Sewer- I Mean Metro[/HEADING]​
Today we will be going through the metro to get to Galaxy News Radio. You can't go through the streets to get there, because there is huge piles of rubble blocking your way. This is to cut the DC area into sections that the game can load easily.

It looks really dark down there from up here...

But it's actually lighter down here than up above. Those are some pretty good 200 year old light bulbs.

Exploring a side door reveals a robot that you can hack. While it is helpful, you miss out on the experience for the kills, and it makes this already pretty easy game even easier. It only goes so far though. It's interesting, because it seems science is only ever used to hack terminals if your lockpick isn't that high.

We get attacked by a few molerats, but their cute little teeth are no match for our assault rifle. I wanted to keep one as a pet too.

Lots of molerats in this area. I keep on trying to imagine what the layout of these tunnels would look like before the war, but it's rather confusing.

Some helpful writing on the wall points us towards GNR. It's not like we can go in any other direction anyways, most of the possible exits are collapsed. What is with that odd symbol though?

We're in the sewer part of the already sewer-esque level. Great.

AHH, ZOMBIES! Oh wait, it's just a ghoul. This is probably your first encounter with a feral ghoul if you're going straight through the main plot of the game. You can meet another non-feral ghoul earlier by the name of Gob (In Moriarty's Saloon. As you would expect, Moriarty is kind of an asshole.) or you blew up Megaton for some silly reason, you might meet Roy Philips while entering Tenpenny Tower.

There's some flammable gas nearby, so that means grenade throwing time.

They're about as much of a threat as a mole rat on their own, but in groups they can be troublesome.

Doesn't stop me from mowing them down in a hail of bullets as then run towards me though. I don't think you're intended to get the Assault Rifle with this much ammo, this early in the game, correct me if I'm wrong.

There's an office down here, for some odd reason. This will probably be the first time you find a laser weapon, if you skipped the Super Duper Mart. There is a laser pistol in the average safe. Unfortunately, our lockpick is only 35, so we can't take advantage of that. No matter, we already have a decent condition laser pistol. We have a ton of weapons, come to think of it.

(This was taken after the update, when I thought showing you guys our huge inventory.)

We still need a combat shotgun though, that thing is pretty cool.

Now we're actually in the train part of the metro. The reason I refer to it as a sewer level in the update title, is that it kind of has the same color scheme and things that sewer levels normally have. In my opinion though, this is probably as good as a sewer level will ever be, I think the metro tunnels are a pain in the ass when you use them to get around, but they're atmospheric and creepy enough for me not care.

But there's alot of them. And they become mazes if you're trying to get to a specific part of the city.

There's actual sewer levels in this game as well, but more on that later.

Of course the tunnels are filled with feral ghouls.

Aside from the reavers, they aren't much of a threat. I've heard of instances of glitches where you might end up running into reavers at low levels though. That would suck immensely.

They're pretty satisfying to kill, especially in VATS. As much as I complain about VATS breaking the game, the death animations never seem to get old. Unless you have the Bloody Mess perk. Then it gets old real fast. It kind of ruins it, in my opinion. Not worth the extra 10% damage.

All bloody mess did in Fallout 1 was give you an alternate ending, that could be gained through bad karma or good reflexes anyway.

For some reason, even a low probability shot in VATS tends to hit more than it misses. It's kind of silly that way. I mean, you still aim manually. In the older games, the RNG worked against you most of the time when you had low chance of hitting.

There seems to be a fire up there. Perhaps someone is still alive down here?

Like many areas in this game, if you get the attention of too many enemies at once, you can get swamped and quickly killed.

The roamers seem to take alot more damage than the normal feral ghouls.

Multiple head shots with the pistol only seem to whittle down it's health a tiny bit.

Eventually, I just get fed up and kill him with the sword instead. I wonder, how did these Chinese Swords and other assorted weapons get over here anyway?

I know there were spies, but I just find it hard to believe how many are scattered across the wasteland.

Nice little effect with the lighting that makes it a bit more atmospheric. They use this effect whenever they get the chance though.

Not pictured: I failed to grab a screenshot of the fire that was near the top of the escalators. There were some bodies of wastelanders near the fire, so I could assume they were either killed by the ghouls or raiders.

I see an interesting sight of a raider fighting a ghoul near one of the metro exits. Never run into this before, can someone confirm whether this is a random encounter or not?

After he takes care of the ghoul, I take the raider out with a single shot of the pistol.

Back near the train tracks in the station (I went the opposite direction of GNR, will backtrack that way.) there is a little alcove near a blocked tunnel with a couple of ghouls in it.

Nearby is a dead mercenary with a laser rifle and leather armor on him.

We backtrack in the direction we're supposed to go. I apologize for the detour, but I do want to explore a good chunk of the game.

We see the silhouette of a super mutant down the tunnel. If you ignored the raider vs. super mutant fight earlier, this will be your first encounter with a super mutant in the game.

It gets into a fight with the feral ghouls. It's doing our job for us, but we need the experience damn it.

He charges at us with a nailboard. They hit pretty hard with their melee, and they're bullet spongy to boot. A few headshots still is enough to take them down however.

Still plenty of ghouls throughout the tunnel for us to fight though.

Eventually we make it to the exit. Who knows what waits outside for us, probably a ton of super mutants or ghouls.

So far, everything seems rather safe. No enemies on the compass thing. This isn't like some other metro tunnels which lead you right outside in a hail of gun-fire from nearby super mutants.

Parts of the city still seem remarkably intact after a nuclear war and 200 years. Of course, some other parts of the city are just filled with rubble.

Apparently these were supposed to be bomb shelters in case you needed to find a safe one quickly. I don't know why anyone would even think of using one of these, they're obviously not going to work. There's a little quarter slot on the side of it too. Who's going to collect those quarters after the war?

Actually, there's a little Fallout 3 trailer about these:

Obviously the absurdity of it is on purpose, and I find the idea of it pretty funny.

I was checking out the inside of the shelter when we were suddenly attacked by super mutants.

They are not there unless you walk past a certain point, and then they spawn. Even though our explosives skill is terrible, grenades still are very effective against them.

We are then approached by some members of the Brotherhood of Steel. Guess they're in this game after all, if the fucking box art didn't give it away.

"You can tag along if you want. But keep your head down and try not do anything... stupid."

"Thanks for the assist. I didn't know this place was so dangerous."

"You been living under a rock? This is D.C. The entire city is crawling with Super Mutants. Now if you'll excuse me..."

"You mentioned something about Galaxy News Radio?"

"There aren't a lot of safe places in the ruins right now, but the Galaxy News Radio building is sort of our port in the storm. Unfortunately, the building's been hit pretty hard lately. We're their backup. So if there are no more questions, we really need to move out."

"I have to go now."

"Watch yourself out there."

I have a ton of issues with how the Brotherhood are portrayed in this game, but at this point in the game they don't seem too different. That changes once you actually get to talk to them some more, but I'll get to that at an appropriate time.

Well, let's follow them to GNR so that we can talk to Three Dog.

Another question I guess: What is your favorite location in this game?

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Another question I guess: What is your favorite location in this game?
Me? The Republic of Dave. I don't know why, but I really like the idea of how silly it is.

Oh, and as a close tie for second, Vault 112 and Oasis

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
My favorite location in the game... probably the Washington Monument. Not sure why, but it's just really striking to me.