Let's Play Fallout: New Vegas [The Servant]

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
in my current playthrough, i found that if you report Burke to Simms, theres a shootout and Lucas Simms probably dies (i was sad, because i missed out on my bonus caps for defusing the bomb (i'd gone off to get a higher speech skill.) still got all my stuff though)

and if you go outside the school at the side, by the motorbike you can get the bike parts for a Shishkebab.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
x434343 said:
You're not slowbeef! You're not Maxwell Adams! You're not even BillyMC!
I don't think I could ever compete with Billy MC. He's just too damn good at Super Mario: The Lost Levels.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
AlternatePFG said:
x434343 said:
You're not slowbeef! You're not Maxwell Adams! You're not even BillyMC!
I don't think I could ever compete with Billy MC. He's just too damn good at Super Mario: The Lost Levels.
Admitting that you're imperfect is always a good sign. Proceed.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
[HEADING=1]Chapter II - What a Great Place to Build a City[/HEADING]​
We ended last update right outside Megaton, now we finally enter it. Note that this update is solely about the Power of the Atom sidequest, and not the other parts of Megaton. That's why this update is rather short.

Seriously, at first it looks like an alien space ship.

Pfft, aliens in a Fallout game outside a random encounter. As if, right?

We're approached by the town's mayor/sheriff, Lucas Simms.

"Nice town you got here, sheriff. Pleasure to meet you."

"Friendly AND well-mannered? I think we're gonna get along just fine. You treat my people nice, and you're welcome to stay as long as you'd like."

"Right. Message received."

"I'm glad we understand each other. Now, is there something I can help you with?"

"I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?"

Did I mention some of the dialogue options in this game are fucking stupid? This would be a low intelligence speech option in the earlier games. It gets worse later on, mostly pertaining to the main plot, but some of the options are just kind of stupid.

"Nope, sorry. I got enough fires to put out in this place that I don't have tie to keep tabs on every visitor. I'd ask around town."

"I have to go now"

Simms is useless to us for now. Let's go check out the saloon, maybe there will be someone with some interesting information in there-

Is that a BOMB? Why would you build your city around a fucking atomic bomb?! It must be deactivated or something, it has to.

Layout wise, Megaton is a pretty interesting town. Too bad getting around sometimes is a pain in the ass. Thankfully, the only two places you'll be visiting regularly, you're house and Moira's shop are pretty easy to get to. At night, it's a lot fucking darker than the rest of the game, for some reason. I apologize for that.

We enter the bar, and check out the surroundings. A man beckons us to talk to him, he's sitting all alone in a corner of this extremely small room. I don't get it, it just doesn't feel like many locations in this game, outside of the monuments and other historical buildings in the DC area, have any scale to them.

"And you, well, you are not a resident of this putrescent cesspool. That makes you a rather valuable invidivdual."

"It does?"

"Don't you see? You're a free agent! You've no ties here, no interest in this settlement's affairs. Megaton means nothing to you! I represent certain... interests who view this town, this "Megaton," as a blight on a burgeoning urban landscape. If this settlement were to... go away. Why, who would really care? Certainly not you, or I..."

You mean, that's an actual undetonated atomic bomb out there, and they build a city around it anyway? Even KNOWING it was undetonated? What the fuck is wrong with the people who live here?

"Wait... You're going to destroy the town?"

"No, no, I'm merely a recruiter. YOU get to have the real fun. The undetonated atomic bomb for which this town is named is still very much alive. All it needs is a little motivation. I have in my possession a Fusion Pulse Charge. Once rigged to the bomb, it will be detonated, by you, at a secure location. Easy money, my friend."

I really don't get why an evil character would do this. The logic for doing so is stupid. These people really haven't wronged you much at all, and if you destroy it, you'll have people wanting to kill you, and you're only reward is a small hotel room in the middle of nowhere and pocket change. If you want to meta-game it, you lose a shop and a much easier to access and bigger house. Also, it's a rather large quest hub, and the only real "city" in this game. (Unless you count Canterbury Commons. Rivet City is sort of one, but it's not a city in a literal sense. *shrug*) This is really one of the stupidest choices in this game, it's just fucking stupid.

And what does Burke's employer have against Megaton, so much so that in fact he wants to kill every single person living there?

It ugly in comparison to the rest of the charred, wrecked wasteland.

"You're out of your mind, Burke. There's no way I'm helping you."

Well, off to tell Simms about the guy who wants to blow up their city. He takes it about as well as you'd expect.

"I met a man named Burke. He said he'd pay me to rig the bomb to explode. What if asks someone else to explode the bomb? You should do something."

"Good point. Come with me. You're about to get an education in Wasteland justice."

I doubt anyone else would be that stupid. 500 caps is pocket change.

Simms runs off towards the bar. All by himself? Don't they have some sort of police, militia or anything? They only other decent soldier in the town is Jericho and he's an asshole who was previously a raider. You're telling me these people haven't been wiped out by raiders yet?

Simms confronts Burke with an assault rifle pointed at him. Impressive that this doesn't phase Burke at all.

And apparently, Simms is stupid enough to turn his back on the guy bent on blowing up your entire city, and doesn't even check for weapons? What a dumbass.

And of course, Burke pulls out his gun and tries to shoot Simms. Normally, I'd just let Simms die for being such and asshole, but not this time. Lily is too fast for him to make the shot, and shoots the gun out of his hand just in time.

And Burke goes down in a few shots with the 10mm. We level up too.

Put some points into the skills we like. Why no explosives still? Mentats can get us up above the requirement for the next quest anyway.

Trying to even out our SPECIAL a bit.

If by slow you mean dumb, then very slow indeed.

Oh look, a silenced 10mm pistol. And yes, this is the only time silenced weapons come into play in this game. Don't remember if this way any useful, I always used the Weapon Mod Kit mod in this game.

"Who would build a town around a bomb? That's crazy!"

Even the dialogue options acknowledge the problem there.

"It's not like the place was put up over night. Megaton's been here for decades, been growing and growing ever since. Started out as a small settlement of people trying to get into Vault 101. When they were denied, they stuck around here. Some of 'em started worshupping the the thing like a god. Now we've got a whole goddamn Church. They're nuts, no doubt, but mostly harmless. By now, most people don't give a shit. They figure if it ain't gone off by now, it never will. I respectfully disagree."

And he completely dodges your question there. Why would you build a city around the bomb in the first place?

I like to imagine just a group of stupid, irradiated survivors finding the bomb in the ground and one shouting dramatically, while standing on the bomb yelling "We'll build here!".

"I can see about disarming that bomb for you."

"Oh, all right. Fine. But listen here. Just take a look at it first. Go easy. If you get the job done, there'll be 100 caps in it for you."

I'll just let some random stranger who showed up a few hours ago who doesn't have any qualifications for this sort of thing, disarm the NUCLEAR BOMB, in the center of the city. I don't see how this possible could go wrong, in any way, shape or form.

"I don't need a reward. I couldn't sleep at night knowing you could all die."

"Well that's mighty decent of you. Just don't, you know... go blowing us up. All right?"

Oh no! We don't have enough explosives skill to disarm this bomb. What will we do? Take drugs of course. Mentats give us +5 to our perception, which is the base stat for explosives, and gives us just enough bonus points to disarm the thing.

Am I the only one who finds it a bit ridiculous that it takes only 25 in explosives to disarm this thing?

I think we've all learned an important lesson here - If you live a post apocalyptic wasteland and have to disarm a nuke for some reason or the other, addictive drugs will always increase your performance. Always.

You sound surprised. WHY WOULD YOU LET ME FIX IT IF MY SUCCESS SURPRISES YOU?!

"And all without asking for pay, too. Hell, why don't you move in? Here's the key and deed to an empty house. Consider yourself a Megaton citizen! Oh and talk with Moira at Craterside Supply. She's got random odds and ends you might be able to spruce the place up with."

Way better than 100 caps, that's for sure. And no, I don't want to talk with Moira unless I have to.

(Oddly enough, Google Fallout 3 Moira and the first suggested search that pops up is "Fallout 3 Moira Rule 34". What the fuck, internet.)

This is our nice, cozy shack of rusted metal. Believe it or not, but it's a much better house than the one you get for doing the evil option for this quest.

Let's go to bed before we continue tomorrow.

Now we'll get back on track to finding our father. Sorry about the rant, but the Power of the Atom is one of the stupidest parts of the game. I get that Bethesda wanted to do something like this, giving players a way to seriously alter the games world. But the reasoning behind it is so goddamn stupid, it makes my head spin. At the very least, Megaton didn't have to be built around a fucking atom bomb. Just saying.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2013

Shamus Young, one of the contributors to the Escapist, though he hasn't really done anything on this site in a long while, wrote a post on his blog about this. It's an interesting read I guess, he's done a few others on Fallout 3 and a whole season of Spoiler Warning on it. He describes what's wrong with this quest much more eloquently than me.

Okay, time for question number 2: What's your favorite weapon in any Fallout game, and why?

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Hunting Rifle, easy. Haven't really played FO 1&2 though so I don't know how good they are. In 3 more specifically is Ol' Painless. In NV my hunting rifle with all the mods. An amazing gun.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
sage42 said:
Hunting Rifle, easy. Haven't really played FO 1&2 though so I don't know how good they are. In 3 more specifically is Ol' Painless. In NV my hunting rifle with all the mods. An amazing gun.
Hunting Rifle in 1 was pretty good, you got it around endgame if I remember correctly though.

Hunting Rifle is definitely one of the most effective guns in this game, due to rather large amount of ammo you can find for it, and the high amount of damage.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Answer to your question: The Heavy Incinerator. Big Guns + Pyromaniac = OH GOD YES.

Request: Since you're using so many pictures, could you please spoiler most of them for the people with slower Internets?

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Answer to your question: The Heavy Incinerator. Big Guns + Pyromaniac = OH GOD YES.

Request: Since you're using so many pictures, could you please spoiler most of them for the people with slower Internets?
Perhaps spoilering entire posts? That way you don't need to load the previous updates if they're on the same page.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:

Perhaps spoilering entire posts? That way you don't need to load the previous updates if they're on the same page.
I like that more, saves a bunch more space. But as long as I don't have to spend a minute waiting for the page to load and to scroll all the way down, I'm good with whatever you do.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
sage42 said:
Hunting Rifle in 1 was pretty good, you got it around endgame if I remember correctly though.

Hunting Rifle is definitely one of the most effective guns in this game, due to rather large amount of ammo you can find for it, and the high amount of damage.
Exactly even though to me anyway it seamed very useless against anyone in power armor or robots, hey, that's what pulse grenades and a combat shotgun are for. Also another weapon I really enjoyed was Dinner Bell in FO:NV for a pump shotgun that thing had kick assery written all over it.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Okay, time for question number 2: What's your favorite weapon in any Fallout game, and why?
The Silenced .22

My father taught me to shoot about 10 years ago (I was 8 at the time) and he let me shoot his .22 Ruger.

When I used it in New Vegas, it felt and, to a degree, sounded like the one I had learned to shoot with.

EDIT: Funny story. My father gave me a little speech before I used it for the first time. He said ?Caleb, this is a gun. It has the power to protect life. But it also has the power to take it.?

I thought about that for a moment when I pulled that gun out to use for the first time.

Then I blew the head off of a Caesar?s Legion member from stealth

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
My current favorite weapon is the Super-Heated Saturnite Fist from NV Old World Blues.

Because it's a power fist that sets people on fire. And with the Pyromaniac perk it surpasses the former best unarmed weapon, the Ballistic fist, in pretty much every way.

It surprises me anytime a human opponent manages to take more than one hit.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Current favorite weapon is the 10mm pistol w/silencer and the extended mags.

Really it is because during quest at Primm, when trying to kill the convicts, I was just sneaking around and headshotting all of them. Just put me in love with the weapon.

Other than that, it's probably the railway rifle. Nothing better than pinning someone to the side of a room with a railspike.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
AlternatePFG said:

I love the entire Fallout series (Sans Brotherhood of Steel. Fuck Interplay, with that one game you ruined the series more than anyone else ever could, is all I have to say on that matter.). I really do. The first two hold a special (No pun intended) place in my heart as some of the best RPG's I've ever played (And it's not nostalgia either). You know those fans whom loved the first two games, and despise 3 and want to pretend like it never existed? I'm not one of those. Fallout 3 was my and probably many other peoples introduction into the series. True, I have many, many issues with the story and handling of lore in 3, but 3 would still probably rank in my top ten favorite games, and is probably one of the games I've spent the most time on overall (Not a whole lot of time mind you, I usually don?t spent that much time on a single game). So why do a Let's Play of it then?

Is this Let's Play screenshot or video?
This Let?s Play is a screenshot one. Before you start groaning, realize that I do have some reasons. First off, I doubt you would want to hear my grating, annoying voice cracking lame puns all the time. I don?t have great capturing software (I doubt you?d want to see an Unregistered Hypercam 2 logo taking up a large chunk of the screen) and my mic is subpar at best. Saying Fallout 3 is a big game would be an understatement. Long treks across the wastes are commonplace, and unless I did a ton of editing, it?d be pretty dull. My final reason, and perhaps most important, is that is also goes without saying that Fallout 3 is a buggy game. No, that isn?t an insult towards Bethesda, it?s just that the Gamebyro engine and my computer just don?t get along very well. The same goes for New Vegas and Oblivion as well. My recordings would most likely get interrupted by CTDs from time to time.

Why not Fallout: New Vegas?
To be frank, Fallout: New Vegas would rank as one of my favorite games ever, so it?d make sense to do a Let?s Play of it instead. The thing is, I?m tired of it. I?ve played the hell out of New Vegas though and I haven?t played 3 in awhile. I don?t have much to say about New Vegas other than I really, really like it. Maybe aside from the DLC, which have noticeably better and more thematic writing than the rest of the game. That doesn?t mean I won't set aside an update or two for New Vegas. Lonesome Road comes out next month, doesn?t it?

Why not Fallout 1 or 2?
Again, I don?t have much to say on the matter of these, except that they are really, really good games. Buy them if you haven?t already, preferably on GoG and not Steam. Wouldn?t discount an update or two on them either though.

Will this Let?s Play focus on being funny, or actually focus on analyzing the game?
Both. Well at least that?s my intent. I don?t claim to be very funny or very smart either but that doesn?t mean I won?t try. At the very least it might be funny to watch me crash and burn at my pathetic attempts at humor or utterly fail at intelligent discussion.

Will you be using any mods?
Nope, aside from a UI mod. This mod doesn?t change much, just makes the font a bit smaller on menus so there is less scrolling. Such a small fix but it works wonders. Seriously, the default UI is terrible when it comes to scrolling. I do have the script extender on this install, out of necessity.

Will this be in a narrative format, or more in a straight-forward, describe the game style?
I?m going to describe the game through screenshots. It won?t be a like a story where I describe the characters actions. That doesn?t mean I?m not going to roleplay the hell out of this game though. Might be a few narrative updates thrown in though, I don?t want to count anything out yet.

What's the purpose of this LP?
Partially to show the things that Fallout 3 did extremely well (such as enviromental storytelling and exploration) and the things that it did not do well at all (such as lore-Okay I'll shut up now). If you dislike Fallout 3, you might enjoy this, if you like it you might as well. If you hate it or love it, you'll probably completely disagree with me but meh.

Will the readers have any say in how the Let?s Play plays out?
Absolutely, there is no point in me doing this unless you guys give some feedback and input. I?ll give a basic sheet of what you guys think the character should be. Just really basic stuff like stats and alignment and such. Major choices will be left at the end of updates for you to decide. Minor choices may just be in posts in between updates.

How often will you update?
At my own pace. I tried updating at a schedule before on a failed Mount & Blade: Warband Let's Play on another site (Every day to be precise. I know. >>) and it just got really frustrating and did not work out. At least a few major ones every week, more or less depending on how busy I am.

Can I post my own playthrough in the topic?
I encourage you to do so. No, in fact, I beg you to. Different points of view and opinions will seriously help make this an interesting experience. All you need is a decent way to capture screenshots and you?re set. Doesn?t matter if it?s just a couple pictures of your character, or a full on playthrough. It could even be of other Fallout games. Hell, even Tactics or Brotherhood of Steel if you got them. Video, narrative, all of it is good. Even just retellings of interesting experiences you've had with this game. I?ll include your posts in the first post if you ask as well.

How are you doing the dialogue?
Everything being said is in game, didn't throw in any flair or anything. I will post the first line of the conversation in screesnhot form and after that it will be text. This makes it so that I don't have to take like 20 screenshots for particularly long conversations.

Normal quotes are from characters in the game.
Italicized quotes are the player responses.
Anything outside quotes are my personal comments.

No unmarked spoilers in this topic please.

[HEADING=2]The Lone Wanderer[/HEADING]

Lily (Thanks for the name CM156)
Female
Good Karma
Small Guns, Speech, Repair (These seemed to be the most commonplace)
S-5
P-5
E-3
C-8
I-10
A-5
L-4

Also, for the love of god, don?t turn this into another 3 vs. New Vegas argument. I?m tired of that. Small debates over things are fine, but please don?t blow things out of proportion. I know how vitriolic these things get, and I've admittedly taken part plenty of those things myself but it would be nice to have one Fallout topic where it didn't go down in flames. I know you all have very strong opinions but let's all just chill and stay civil, okay?

[HEADING=2]Chapters[/HEADING]

Prologue - Life in Vault 101 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.306987-Poll-Lets-Play-Fallout-3?page=2#12370801]
Mini-Update - Sequence Breaking and You [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.306987-Poll-Lets-Play-Fallout-3-Prologue-Life-in-Vault-101?page=2#12377592]
Chapter I - Road to Megaton [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.306987-Poll-Lets-Play-Fallout-3-Mini-Update-Sequence-Breaking-and-You?page=2#12393966]
Chapter II - What a Great Place to Build a City [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.306987-Poll-Lets-Play-Fallout-3-Chapter-II-What-a-Great-Place-to-Build-a-City?page=2#12407917]
Response to BoS statement: It's not even canon. Nobody even pays attention to it.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I apologize for the short update in advance today. I want to do this game in small enough chunks that I can keep on updating somewhat constantly (Mostly because this topic get's buried pretty quick. I'm committed to keeping this LP alive now, considering I spent some money (Okay, like 20$) on getting something "interesting" to show off to you guys. Let's just say it'll be a surprise), and I assume people would prefer to have it in shorter chunks? Don't worry though, they will get bigger. Just that most of today's update is dialogue, and I only use one screenshot per dialogue (Unless there's something important like a speech check in it.). Anyway, I'll make up for it tomorrow with a quick mini-update thing, and a full one, unless something comes up. Was planing to do it anyway.

[HEADING=1]Chapter III - Oh God, it's Moira[/HEADING]​
We start off this update in Megaton, where we left off again. Now that the whole nonsense involving that atomic bomb is taken care of, let's check out the local bar for a bit.

The person we need to talk to is where we met Burke last update. I wonder: What happens with the main quest if you decide to blow up Megaton before talking to Moriarty? Do you find a charred note near the ruins of Megaton with the whereabouts of your father? I'm genuinely curious about that, if anyone could fill me in that'd be awesome.

I hate Moriarty. Hilarious Irish accent and everything.

"If you've got the caps, I've got your pleasure. Please, sit down, amke yourself comfortable. Your troubles are a thing of the past."

"I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?"

Still stupid. What's even stupider, is that it actually works.

"My God... It's you. The little baby girl, all grown up. Persistent little flower, ain't ya? Then and now, it would seem. It's been a long time, kid. Oh, your daddy passed through here, all right. Here and gone. Got what he came for, and then left. I'm assuming you'll do the same, correct?"

"Huh? My father and I were born in Vault 101?"

"Is that what your father told you? That you were born in that hole? That HE was born there as well? Oh, the lies we tell to those we love. Your father brought you to the Vault right after you were born. To keep you safe, you see. I remember it well - you stayed in my saloon, after all. That's right. Your father, his Brotherhood of Steel friend, and you, the suckling babe with nary a tit to suckle. Sorry about your mom. Truly. But, life goes on. Daddy lied. Life's full of disappointments. And now... you're all grown up and wondering where he's gone to..."

Wait, did he say Brotherhood of Steel? Must have been a slip of the tongue on the part of the voice actor. Has to be. Right?

"My Dad told me we were born in Vault 101..."

You can only express disbelief at the fact that you were born outside the vault, considering they've dropped some very unsubtle hints about it during the Vault 101 section of the game. One of my many issues with the PC (Player character) dialogue in this game, is that sometimes you get the same options, with varying degrees of dumbass.

"Aaahhh. I see. You know, I heard about the brainwashin' that goes on down there. From some other fella, escaped, oh... five years back. 'All hail the Overseer! We're born in the Vault; we die in the Vault!' And all that other assorted lunacy. Kid, you've got better programming than our own Deputy Weld. You'd best wise up quick. Wouldn't want anyone... takin' advantage of ya. Hmm?"

Christ, this guy is an asshole. Why are we supposed to like him again?

"Look, I just want to find my Dad. Do you know where he is?"

"You seem like a nice kid, so I'm going to be straight with you. Your dad was here, and now he's not, and yes I know where he went. But what you're asking for me for is information, and information is a commodity. Let's say... 100 caps, and daddy's location is yours. Very reasonable."

"I don't have 100 caps."

A hundred caps is indeed pocket change, but we've been outside the Vault for all about 45 minutes tops (actual time) so we're completely broke. Doesn't matter anyway, not going speech check skip any quests anyway.

"All right, kid. Let me help you out, you know... for old time's sake. If you don't have the caps to pay for the information, then maybe you could do a little favor for me."

"So you want me to do your dirty work?"

"Who said anything about dirty work? You need some caps. I'm giving you a way to get 'em. It's just business. This junkie ***** named Silver borrowed quite a few caps from me..."

So basically, dirty work. Let's not argue semantics here.

"Claimed she could start funneling Jet and Psycho to me for a good price. Problem is she scrammed with the loot and set herself up in Springvale so she can inject herself into a stupor. Get the caps she owes me and they're yours. Yours to pay me with anyway. He he he he he."

We need to head back to Sunnyvale for this trip. On the way out, we notice this poor guy, down on his luck.

Say hello to Mr. Karma Dispenser. He actually has a name, it's like Jim or something, I don't really care. There are a few of these guys around the different major settlements in this game. Basically, if you're a psychotic murderer, if you give this bastard a dozen or so purified waters, you're a saint again...

DYNAMIC KARMA SYSTEM!

"All I have is irradiated water."

"I've been drinking whatever I can find, but I can't do it anymore. I need purified water. Please... if you find any..."

Sadly, we don't have any purified water's to give to him. It's alright though, I don't think he really needs it. He's not going to die at any point in the game, and if you give him a purified water, right afterward he asks for more. Greedy much?

This is Silver's house. We passed it on our trip to the nearby school, and I pointed out it was the only other intact house in this whole area. Seems in decent shape for being 200 years old.

"Yes, and he says you owe him some caps."

"That bastard! He... he's a liar! He just wants me dead! Those caps are all mine. I earned them!

Not shown: A speech check screenshot with the associated dialogue. My bad there, accidentally deleted that screenshot.

"[SUCCESS] I am tired of hiding out here like some kind of Wasteland dog. I... I guess you're right. Here... this is all I have. Please leave me alone now."

Back to Megaton. Fast travelling is kind pointless between Megaton and Sunnyvale, cause I think the loading screen takes longer. Besides, fast travel is kind of immersion breaking. Don't see any other alternative though.

On our way back to Moriarty, we meet an interesting old man.

Enclave? He must be mistaken. There aren't any Enclave anymore.

"Now, I don't know you from Adam, but I got you pegged for a patriot and any patriot worth her salt is gonna toss her gun in for the Enclave. Any day now, they're gonna roll up here and then this nightmare'll be over for good! But listen to me ramble - I'm Nathan. What can I do for you?"

He's talking like this is only a few years, decades or so after the Great War. "Any day now, they're gonna roll up here I'm telling you". This feels like this game was meant to be a reboot of the series, or a prequel but at the least minute they made it a sequel instead. Just seems silly to me I guess.

"If you've never seen the Enclave, how can you know anything about them?"

"They're on the radio! They have been for years. President Eden talks about everything they're doing. They got flyin' robots all around, watching everything so they know what to do when they finally swoop in and clean this place up. You'll see. People think I'm just a crazy old man. Things'll be different when the Enclave gets here. God bless the Enclave."

You are just a crazy old man. I hope at least. There's no way that could be the same Enclave. Must be just some old government broadcast and the old man is too senile to tell the difference.

I hate you so much right now.

"I did your stupid favor. Now can you tell me where my father is?"

"You took care of our little lost lamb, eh? I knew I could count on you. How about you just hand over 100 caps and we'll call it even."

"Fine, here's your 100 caps."

Sucker doesn't even know we get to keep the extra 300 caps.

"Now that wasn't so difficult was it? Your dad came through here, all right. Didn't stay long, though. Said he had some important business to attend to, and headed off to the city. Something to do with Galaxy News Radio. Guess that'd be the place for you to start. Good hunting, and thanks for the caps."

Oh. That's helpful. It's going to be one of those kinds of games, isn't it?

One more thing before we go to Galaxy News Radio. It's in the middle of DC right, which is a warzone right now. We better stock up on supplies.

Stray? What a great way to start a conversation.

"Good to meet you! I'm Moira Brown. I run Craterside Supply, but what I really do is mostly tinkering and research. Say, I'm working on a book about the Wasteland - it'd be great to have the foreword by a vault dweller, Help me out, would you?"

Ugh, it's her. I honestly don't hate Moira, despite the title of today's update. It's just that she's so annoying, that she becomes likeable, and then goes around to being annoying again. Somehow I still like her though, she has a condition that I'd call 'affably stupid'.

"Where'd you get the Vault Suit back there?"

"I'm pretty sure I remember a girl coming into town with that about ten, twelve years ago. She didn't know a thing about the Wastes, and I knew she'd get herself hurt without some sort of protection. So I offered to armor her vault suit. Never saw her again - probably died out there, poor thing. In a way, she gave me the idea to write this book. It's yours, if you help."

Seriously, what the hell is with all the people escaping Vault 101. Suddenly it's a big deal when your dad runs off, when this has happened at least TWICE before.

"Sure, I've got plenty to say about life in the Vault."

"Great! Just tell me what it's like to live underground all your life, or to come outside for the first time, or whatever strikes you fancy!"

"It was cramped, dark, and the food sucked. Good riddance."

And nearly everyone was an asshole, don't forget that too. Not like we had a choice to leave anyway.

"That's terrible. But it'll be great for a foreword. So in that sense, it's great!"

Yes, tell that to the person who was just kicked out of the only home she's ever known and left to die in a wasteland.

"I think you're going to like it out here. And here's the armorer suit, just to make sure you don't get recycled into something else's food. That'll be good for the book. In fact, want to help me with the research? I can pay you, and it'll be fun!"

"Not interested. I'm just here to do some shopping."

Don't worry, we'll do the Wasteland Survival Guide quest eventually anyway, if only because how silly it is, but I want to stay on track with the main quest for now.

"Well, okay. I guess. But I promise, you'll love it when you hear about the guide. Maybe later, huh?"

She's got nothing that's really useful to is that we can afford right now. Ah well.

We got a spiffy new Vault suit though. One thing I can very much compliment Bethesda on (And by extension Obsidian for New Vegas) is that the clothing is actually pretty damn detailed and good looking. Armor for the most part looks pretty nice as well, though not nearly as numerous as the clothing.

Take one last look at Megaton. We won't be back here for awhile...

...Good riddance, I say.

Okay, Fallout related question 3: What's the most catchy song used in a Fallout game? Not your personal favorite, but the one that gets stuck in your head the most.

For me, it's a tie between "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" and "Dear Hearts and Gentle People".

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
can i just add something: why would an evil character defuse the bomb for free? with enough speech you can get 500 caps, and you always get the house anyway.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
TrilbyWill said:
can i just add something: why would an evil character defuse the bomb for free? with enough speech you can get 500 caps, and you always get the house anyway.
We're not playing an evil character, but if you're referring to outside this playthrough, I don't know, but the game assumes you'd to blow up Megaton anyway.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Okay, Fallout related question 3: What's the most catchy song used in a Fallout game? Not your personal favorite, but the one that gets stuck in your head the most.

For me, it's a tie between "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" and "Dear Hearts and Gentle People".
Well, dear reader, it would have to be this one.

I don't know why, but the tune just gets stuck.