Let's Play Fallout: New Vegas [The Servant]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Those Nightkin kicked my ass my first time. I played it on Hard and Hardcore, and went the wrong way to start off with (towards the makeshift prison, and not towards Davison). So they caught me off-guard with their Stealth Boys and those rebar clubs hurt early in the game. So Davison was aggressive towards me. I didn't have that conversation until my second playthrough. Like I said before, I didn't like this quest. I still don't. But considering at this point in my playthrough I was still not feeling too strongly about it after hating Fallout 3 so much, it made me nervous about whether I'd like the rest of New Vegas. Thankfully, it got better later. Much better.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
DustyDrB said:
But considering at this point in my playthrough I was still not feeling too strongly about it after hating Fallout 3 so much, it made me nervous about whether I'd like the rest of New Vegas. Thankfully, it got better later. Much better.
Yeah, I definitely feel like this game takes awhile to really get going. People complained that they lost a sense of purpose after getting to Benny, but I felt like that was when the game really opened up and got better.

MinimanZombie

Apr 8, 2011
I would like to apologize to any of the LP readers who read my stories as well. As such I shall release two segments.

[HEADING=1]The Story Of Jerry Stowley[/HEADING]​
So after a couple of weeks of planning, Dr Pinkerton chucked me back out into the harsh unforgiving wasteland. Literally. He got some of the guards to lift my matress, while I was sleeping, and throw it into the lake below. His reasoning? I threw out all of his salisbury steaks into the lake earlier that day. I don't think he justified it very well though. I mean seriously the steaks are always so dry, and that was all the food he had eaten in the last several weeks! So we went are seperate ways, or at least I did. He stayed in his home of course. However not before he showed me the route to New Vegas and asked some trading caravans to take me along with them. So me and the caravan were sent on our way and for a while things were fine. Untill the Deathclaws found us, which kind of messed that up. I followed my normal strategy of run away, not with the intention of being faster than the deathclaws, but my companions. Fortunately for me my companion travelled by cart a lot and was out of shape. I eventually came across a small cave with some big eggs inside. I took one with me, with the intention of eating it. Little did I know this would be my best friend, very shortly.

Note: I will be considering the independant route for New Vegas canon for the sake of the story.

After days of walking I came across a small town by the name of Goodsprings. Their fame supposedly comes from the fact that it was where the famous Courier was shot in the head. While I found this hard to believe, stranger things had happened. I was halfway to the diner to ask if the egg could be cooked when the cracks in it suddenly got bigger and eventually it cracked open. Lying in my palms now was what appeared to be a miniture deathclaw, lacking its horns and claws though. It stared at me, obviously baffled, and then it crawled its way into the deep pocket of the duster I had began wearing and fell asleep. It dawned on me that I now technically had a pet Deathclaw. What would its name be? What would it eat? Would it visciously tear me to shreds once it grew up? I ran into the bar anyway only for a strange man to call me over. He wore a duster, similar to mine, a hat you would find on a cowboy, a pair of glasses which gave off a sense of authority and a handlebar moustache. He said "So you've got yourself a baby deathclaw?"
"Yes. How did you know?"
"The little fellas head was poking out your pocket."
"Oh. Do you, by any chance have any advice on raising one?"
"As a matter of fact I do. Heres a small guide to that very subject."
"Why do you have a guide to raising deathclaws?"
"Oh well I wrote it myself. Never got it published though. Wrote it while I was raising my own deathclaw."
"You raised your own deathclaw?"
"Yep. Altough nowadays Mr Cuddleworth just sits at home."
"Okay then. Well thank you." And with that I left. It humoured me that he called a deathclaw Mr Cuddleworth. I decided to go to the local doctor for a checkup. Nothing too serious, but I still asked if I could stay in house for the night. He showed me to my bed and left me to do what I pleased. I passed the time reading the guide untill I fell asleep, with the baby deathclaw still resting in my pocket.

So did anyone get the reference? Also please correct me if there is a mistake or any inaccuracies.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The first time I did this quest Davison didn't actually turn hostile at all until I attacked him. I pretty much avoided the nightkin as much as possible because I did this at a low level and didn't have much gear.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
DustyDrB said:
But considering at this point in my playthrough I was still not feeling too strongly about it after hating Fallout 3 so much, it made me nervous about whether I'd like the rest of New Vegas. Thankfully, it got better later. Much better.
Yeah, I definitely feel like this game takes awhile to really get going. People complained that they lost a sense of purpose after getting to Benny, but I felt like that was when the game really opened up and got better.
I can't remember the point where I stopped feeling iffy towards New Vegas and started loving it. I can say the only reason I gave New Vegas a chance was because I had heard of the faction system, which was something I had thought was sorely needed in Bethesda games for a long time. It was probably when I realized that these factions are truly opposed to each other and there would be consequences for whoever I sided with that started to turn it around for me.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
DustyDrB said:
AlternatePFG said:
DustyDrB said:
I can't remember the point where I stopped feeling iffy towards New Vegas and started loving it. I can say the only reason I gave New Vegas a chance was because I had heard of the faction system, which was something I had thought was sorely needed in Bethesda games for a long time. It was probably when I realized that these factions are truly opposed to each other and there would be consequences for whoever I sided with that started to turn it around for me.
Ya know, the faction system was likely the one thing I didn't like at all about New Vegas. I just seemed... generic. Also, it's weird that just by helping out a bunch of Elvis impersonators, they'll run up every so often and give you free corn.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Didn't know that you could negotiate with the night kin, but when I'm dealing with a group, when the first twelve people I meet from it try to rip my head off, I give up on diplomacy.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
CM156 said:
Ya know, the faction system was likely the one thing I didn't like at all about New Vegas. I just seemed... generic. Also, it's weird that just by helping out a bunch of Elvis impersonators, they'll run up every so often and give you free corn.
I loved it because it was a better alternative to the karma system in every way.

Sure the karma system is still there but it's hardly used and doesn't have much of an impact. With the reputation system your choices and the consequences make sense, whereas the karma system judges you based on its own rules.

If I do a job for the NCR that involves taking out powder gangers, of course the gangers will hate me for it. If I decided between two people to kill in a situation then the game has no right to tell me which was "correct" and which was "wrong".

Plus, it strongly reminded me of the faction system in Mercenaries, and if a game reminds me of Mercenaries then that's a very good thing.

Fangv2

Jan 20, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Well, now it's time to get that crap Chris needs. Fetch quest ahoy![/spoiler]How did you resolve this quest your first time through the game? Did you manage to keep Davison from attacking you?

(I was really perplexed by this, in my first playthrough I was able to keep both Harland and Davison alive.)

Nope, I knew you could but I really didn't care. Nightkin are crazy and I knew that they really couldn't be persuaded.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
CM156 said:
DustyDrB said:
AlternatePFG said:
DustyDrB said:
The Kings are a good bunch though. Most telling is that J.E. Sawyer changed The King's charma from Neutral to Good. It makes sense that they'd do something to show their appreciation to someone who helped out their community a good deal.

I've always felt it's a bit gauche to be able to join every faction in a game like this. Some of them are outright diametrically opposed in their values and methods (For example: it always made me cringe that you could join the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion, in addition to all the other, more heroically-minded guilds in the game). That there are real effects in the world and a response from the people in it to the choices you make just deepens the roleplaying aspect tenfold for me. I want there to be consequences, even ones that don't favor me as the player.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
This update is rather short. I didn't want the last update to go on too long, but as a result this one turned out really short. I have some video content to make up for that.

[HEADING=1]Blast Off![/HEADING]​
We're off to a location slightly east of Novac to pick up the first item we need to get those rockets started.

Keep going east of Novac and eventually you'll hit a river which is technically the eastern border of the game map. There are a few accessible locations on that side of the map, but for the most part there isn't anything of note.

I feel like the arrow that points directly where you need to go sometimes weakens the game a bit. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a directionless scavenger hunt like some of the sidequests in Morrowind were, but I would like to do a bit of investigating to find the object I'm looking for rather than being dragged around by the nose.

There is something moving over there, but I can't tell exactly what it is. So let's shoot at it, just to be safe.

Guess it just fits in his pocket.

Golden Geckos. Basically Geckos usually found in super irradiated areas that are gold colored rather than the usual purple/blu-ish. So yeah, pretty much a palette swap.

For some reason my radiation level isn't showing up on the meter on the upper right. Oh well, you can see that in the menu anyways. Kinda like Fallout 1 where you visit the Glow and leave, only to die from radiation poisoning halfway through the travel back to where you needed to go.

And it really is simple as that, just walk a few meters east of Novac, find a body with the barrel on it and take it back to REPCONN. It feels like padding. Kind of an abrupt cut back to REPCONN. (Don't know how that happened)

"I found an entire container of the igniting agent."

"Yes, that's the stuff. And the container's shielding must be intact, or you'd be dead by now."

That's... good I guess.

"Now all I need is the thrust control modules."

"Can you give me any tips for my current task?"

"Scavengers wouldn't know the value of the modules just by looking at them. If you know any junk dealers in the area, I'd start there."

Well, isn't that what Novac's economy runs off of? I guess we can start looking there. (By that I mean follow the goddamn arrow)

This is the scrapyard I showed in an earlier update. Quite a few sidequests actually link back here believe it or not (Okay, like 3 but for a game this big, still) and this will not be the last time we need to go here.

The dogs in here also sometimes get the glitch that the dog in Goodsprings had with its eyes. IT'S SPREADING

She's kind of like Novac's Moira. Kinda.

"You might have noticed the very large building just north of here. THat's HELIOS One. The NCR runs the place, so it's off-limits to prospectors."

We will be checking HELIOS One out later, I kind of want to get to the next part of the main quest first. It's just a better starting off point for sidequests.

"Do you have any thrust control modules from REPCONN in stock?"

"As it so happens, I do have some thrust modules, but they're expensive."

Of course they are.

"500 caps worth of expensive."

That isn't too bad, but we don't have a lot of money right now. I'm not at that point in the game where I started hoarding items to sell for easy caps, but we'll get there soon enough.

"[Speech 50] But you're going to cut the price to 250 because I'm just that charming, right?"

We'll use our speech check anyways because we need to use our speech skill somehow. We haven't gotten many speech checks at all, but once you get into Vegas there are tons of Speech checks, and Speech becomes a very important and useful skill to have.

"[SUCCEEDED] Ha! Yes, you are quite the smoothtalker. What the hell - 250 it is."

One playthrough I remember reaching about 100,000 caps, so 500 really is just pocket change. Right now it isn't, but like I said, 250 caps is really not that big of a difference.

"Here's 250 caps."

"A pleasure doing business with you."

Immediately afterwards, this happens.

ED-E's recordings trigger when certain people say certain phrases. I belive Gibson saying "HELIOS One" is what triggered this particular one. This has to do with ED-E's personal sidequest, which we probably won't get to until much later in the game.

"My name is Whitley. I'm a researcher at Adams Air Force base."

Yup, that's the place where the endgame of the Broken Steel expansion for Fallout 3 takes place.

"Until recently I was in charge of the Duraframe reinforcement project for the combat model Eyebots."

<Log Playback::Continue>

"Eyebot Duraframe Subject E is both the prototype, and the last functional model in this test group. I was prepared to make several significant upgrades to the machines. However, as the project was canceled and all Duraframe assets being diverted to Hellfire Armor, I am sending this model to the Navarro outpost."

Lots of references to previous Fallout games in ED-E's questline. Navarro was the main Enclave base in Fallout 2 which you visit, and the Hellfire Armor is probably the highest tier Enclave Power Armor from Fallout 3. (Also exclusive to Broken Steel I believe)

"If you are listening to this log from one of our Enclave Outposts in Chicago, give this unit whatever repairs it needs so it can continue to Navarro."

Well, that's it for ED-E's recordings for now. We will find more out later.

Back down into the sewers.

"I found the thrust control modules."

"Indeed you did. And they seem to be in excellent condition."

"The rockets are set to go, right?"

"Yes, I'll tell Jason that the Great Journey can begin."

And for some bizarre reason, after this the game doesn't have subtitles for Jason's dialogue over the intercom. Whoops, not like anyone would want to hear that, right?

Here's a video of it instead.

(Promise not to make too many of these, some parts of the game aren't handled real well in screenshots though. This particular video won't be added to the OP for obvious reasons)

Time to head back up to the area the ghouls were in at the beginning of the quest to get to the launch controls.

That dome over there is where all the rockets are. This area is not technically in the outside game world, it's in it's own cell, so you can't jump out that window or fast travel away.

Welp, we can't do anything about that right now. All that's left is to activate the rockets.

And cut to another video!

No idea if they actually survived that. Don't think I really care, at least they're gone.

Just a little bit of points into anything.

Back to Novac...

Chris shows up at Novac once this is all over, with no extra dialogue. At all. He does get some more dialogue if you go the "Convince Chris He's Not a Ghoul" route, but shhh. Saving that for the evil playing.

"The ghouls are no longer at REPCONN."

"Really? Unbelievable, man! I knew that wasn't gonna be easy."

It really wasn't.

"But I had a good feeling about you. You look like you been through a lot."

"Now about the man I'm looking for..."

"Okay, I'll tell you everything I know, like I promised. The guy you're looking for, Benny, he was traveling with some members from my old gang. They were going to Boulder City."

Boulder City is actually another real town, like Nipton.

"Where is Boulder City?"

"It's straight up Route 93 from here. Just keep following the road north."

"Any idea why they went that way?"

"No clue. I know Benny hadn't paid up yet. Maybe that was where they were supposed to get square."

"That's all I needed to know."

"Hope that helps. I owed you."

Well, at least it puts us back on track.

We're now Idolized by Novac, which is the highest reputation you can get. Getting reputation for Novac just comes down to doing this sidequest.

We have to follow this road down to Boulder City and hopefully to Benny. Probably not though.
What outcome did you end up with for this quest?

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
This update is rather short. I didn't want the last update to go on too long, but as a result this one turned out really short. I have some video content to make up for that.

We're off to a location slightly east of Novac to pick up the first item we need to get those rockets started.

Keep going east of Novac and eventually you'll hit a river which is technically the eastern border of the game map. There are a few accessible locations on that side of the map, but for the most part there isn't anything of note.

I feel like the arrow that points directly where you need to go sometimes weakens the game a bit. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a directionless scavenger hunt like some of the sidequests in Morrowind were, but I would like to do a bit of investigating to find the object I'm looking for rather than being dragged around by the nose.

There is something moving over there, but I can't tell exactly what it is. So let's shoot at it, just to be safe.

Golden Geckos. Basically Geckos usually found in super irradiated areas that are gold colored rather than the usual purple/blu-ish. So yeah, pretty much a palette swap.

For some reason my radiation level isn't showing up on the meter on the upper right. Oh well, you can see that in the menu anyways. Kinda like Fallout 1 where you visit the Glow and leave, only to die from radiation poisoning halfway through the travel back to where you needed to go.

And it really is simple as that, just walk a few meters east of Novac, find a body with the barrel on it and take it back to REPCONN. It feels like padding. Kind of an abrupt cut back to REPCONN. (Don't know how that happened)

"Yes, that's the stuff. And the container's shielding must be intact, or you'd be dead by now."

That's... good I guess.

"Scavengers wouldn't know the value of the modules just by looking at them. If you know any junk dealers in the area, I'd start there."

Well, isn't that what Novac's economy runs off of? I guess we can start looking there. (By that I mean follow the goddamn arrow)

This is the scrapyard I showed in an earlier update. Quite a few sidequests actually link back here believe it or not (Okay, like 3 but for a game this big, still) and this will not be the last time we need to go here.

The dogs in here also sometimes get the glitch that the dog in Goodsprings had with its eyes. IT'S SPREADING

"You might have noticed the very large building just north of here. THat's HELIOS One. The NCR runs the place, so it's off-limits to prospectors."

We will be checking HELIOS One out later, I kind of want to get to the next part of the main quest first. It's just a better starting off point for sidequests.

Of course they are.

That isn't too bad, but we don't have a lot of money right now. I'm not at that point in the game where I started hoarding items to sell for easy caps, but we'll get there soon enough.

"[Speech 50] But you're going to cut the price to 250 because I'm just that charming, right?"

We'll use our speech check anyways because we need to use our speech skill somehow. We haven't gotten many speech checks at all, but once you get into Vegas there are tons of Speech checks, and Speech becomes a very important and useful skill to have.

"[SUCCEEDED] Ha! Yes, you are quite the smoothtalker. What the hell - 250 it is."

One playthrough I remember reaching about 100,000 caps, so 500 really is just pocket change. Right now it isn't, but like I said, 250 caps is really not that big of a difference.

"Here's 250 caps."

ED-E's recordings trigger when certain people say certain phrases. I belive Gibson saying "HELIOS One" is what triggered this particular one. This has to do with ED-E's personal sidequest, which we probably won't get to until much later in the game.

Yup, that's the place where the endgame of the Broken Steel expansion for Fallout 3 takes place.

"Until recently I was in charge of the Duraframe reinforcement project for the combat model Eyebots."

"Eyebot Duraframe Subject E is both the prototype, and the last functional model in this test group. I was prepared to make several significant upgrades to the machines. However, as the project was canceled and all Duraframe assets being diverted to Hellfire Armor, I am sending this model to the Navarro outpost."

Lots of references to previous Fallout games in ED-E's questline. Navarro was the main Enclave base in Fallout 2 which you visit, and the Hellfire Armor is probably the highest tier Enclave Power Armor from Fallout 3. (Also exclusive to Broken Steel I believe)

"If you are listening to this log from one of our Enclave Outposts in Chicago, give this unit whatever repairs it needs so it can continue to Navarro."

And for some bizarre reason, after this the game doesn't have subtitles for Jason's dialogue over the intercom. Whoops, not like anyone would want to hear that, right?

(Promise not to make too many of these, some parts of the game aren't handled real well in screenshots though. This particular video won't be added to the OP for obvious reasons)

Time to head back up to the area the ghouls were in at the beginning of the quest to get to the launch controls.

That dome over there is where all the rockets are. This area is not technically in the outside game world, it's in it's own cell, so you can't jump out that window or fast travel away.

Welp, we can't do anything about that right now. All that's left is to activate the rockets.

No idea if they actually survived that. Don't think I really care, at least they're gone.

Back to Novac...

Chris shows up at Novac once this is all over, with no extra dialogue. At all. He does get some more dialogue if you go the "Convince Chris He's Not a Ghoul" route, but shhh. Saving that for the evil playing.

It really wasn't.

"Okay, I'll tell you everything I know, like I promised. The guy you're looking for, Benny, he was traveling with some members from my old gang. They were going to Boulder City."

"Where is Boulder City?"

"No clue. I know Benny hadn't paid up yet. Maybe that was where they were supposed to get square."

We're now Idolized by Novac, which is the highest reputation you can get. Getting reputation for Novac just comes down to doing this sidequest.

We have to follow this road down to Boulder City and hopefully to Benny. Probably not though.
Wait, what?! I thought the only place you could get the igniting agent from was the rocket souvenirs. I never knew about the corpse that had a sample of the stuff on him. As for outcomes... the first playthrough, I didn't have high enough science, so I had the same outcome as you. Second time 'round, I messed with the course plotting to up their chances of getting to their destination (although I did save scum and alter the course to make the rockets crash into each other for shits and giggles first).

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:

That's... good I guess.

Of course they are.

"Here's 250 caps."

Back to Novac...

It really wasn't.

"Where is Boulder City?"

I ended with the very same one you did. Personally, I found this to be somewhat fun the first time I did it, and boring on my repeat playthrough.

Also, this seemed a bit weird to me, anyways.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I had the same outcome you did. My Science skill was too low there at the end as well. Though I got the fuel from the store in Novac. I'm pretty sure it happened by accident. I just happened to have picked up one of the rockets earlier, and a dialogue option came up with Chris about it. So I just had to go back to the store to get a couple more.

This might be weird, but I love that third rocket in the takeoff. It's the straggler of the group. It's...cute. Yeah. Maybe I should stop anthropomorphizing things.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The same but I was able to do the other little bonuses when launching the rockets to get extra XP. I also convinced Chris he wasn't a ghoul in my first playthrough.

As for the quest arrow, to me that smells like Bethesda shenanigans, or Obsidian didn't bother working around it with the engine (remember, only one member of Obsidian had experience with the engine).

Both J. E. sawyer and Chris Avellone have said that they don't like hand-holding in RPGs, and MCA even created a character that reinforced this...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
TopazFusion said:
AlternatePFG said:
Basically the same as you.

Although, if you had a Science of 35, Comprehension perk, and a Science skill mag, would it let you get past the 55 Science requirement then?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that works in this instance. That's why Comprehension can be pretty useful, as temporary 20 point boost to a skill for a check is a pretty big increase.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
TopazFusion said:
AlternatePFG said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that works in this instance. That's why Comprehension can be pretty useful, as temporary 20 point boost to a skill for a check is a pretty big increase.
It certainly is. I always take that perk.

I assume we'll be returning here and using that console properly in a later playthrough? possibly for the evil option?
I think we'll use the console for the best outcome, though I will show off the route in which you sabotage the rockets using other means.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
AlternatePFG said:

That's... good I guess.

Of course they are.

"Here's 250 caps."

Back to Novac...

It really wasn't.

"Where is Boulder City?"

I was roleplaying as a scientist Ranger, so I corrected the mistakes on the rockets. Also convinced Chris he isn't a ghoul. Always take those paths in all my playtroughs. I rarely take much different options when repeating RPG's for some reason.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
[HEADING=1]Picking Up the Trail...[/HEADING]​
After that rather lengthy distraction with those Ghouls, we're back on the road. All signs point to Vegas, but Manny told us that the Khans and Benny were holed up in Boulder City. Let's see what's going on there.

There is HELIOS One on the left, but we're holding off on visiting that quite yet.

This road leads straight to Vegas, so at least we're on the right track now. Even if this Benny thing falls through, we can still maybe stop by New Vegas for some gambling.

There is all this run down construction equipment on the side of the road here. Not really sure why it's here.

These guys hide behind the sign to ambush you. As you can guess, it's not very effective.

Continuing down the road and we run into a ton of ants eating a dead brahmin.

We run into this chap sitting at a campfire further down the road. We want to talk to him for a sidequest later, but right now we need to stay on track.

This Boulder City, it's pretty much composed of rubble and maybe 3 standing buildings. Boulder City is also anothe real city, according to the wiki. Oddly enough, gambling is not allowed in the real Boudler City.

Let's chat with this fellow standing by the memorial over there.

"What is this memorial?"

"It commemorates the Battle of Hoover Dam. The rangers lured the best of Caesar's Legion into Boulder City, then blew up the town."

Oh, so that's why it's all... rubble-y.

"The NCR still lost a bunch of troops in the fighting, though. My older brother sacrificed himself so they could evacuate some of the wounded."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't worry about it."

Oh look, a saloon.

Very similar aesthetics to the Goodsprings Saloon in here. There is absolutely nothing of note in this saloon by the way, it's not involved in any sidequests or a nything really. It's pretty much completely empty too.

"Tell me about Boulder City."

"Most of the town is rubble - destroyed during the Battle of Hoover Dam - and the only other thing around here is the concrete mixing yard."

"What's the concrete used for?"

"The NCR has been constructing bunkers up and down the river. From what I've heard, it's a little late for that."

Again, I know I've stated it many times before, but Obsidian did a good job making the world seem at least a little logical.

"Travelers over at the 188 - just up the road - said that the Legion has overrun a couple of towns to the south."

"Where does the concrete come from?"

"Most of the limestone comes from Quarry Junction out west, but I hear some Deathclaws overran the quarry."

Overran doesn't even begin to describe it.

"With no work to be had, all the workers around here have wandered off. I'm the only one left in town."

Figured as much. There's still a few NCR guys in the town though, so he isn't completely alone.

Huh, this building seems to be somewhat still intact.

This is an interesting little area of the game, if only because it's completely unexpected. You would think that the NCR would maybe clean up the area and bury what's left of the soldiers, but nope, guess not.

This is a loading screen barrier set up to enter the inner part of Boulder City, for some strange reason.

"Can I ask you some questions?"

"Shoot."

"What happened to Boulder City?"

I realize that I've been asking all the NPC's here the same thing, but Boulder City is pretty much completely inconsequential to the rest of the game, gameplay and plot wise, so I'm trying to show as much info about it as possible while it's still relevant.

"Destroyed during the Battle of Hoover Dam a couple of years ago. The town was set up as a trap for Caesar's Legion. The sharpshooters in the Rangers picked off the Legion's veterans from a distance, and the rest of the Legion just rushed on in. Then - boom!"

"Is there anything you can tell me about the Great Khans?"

"They're an outlaw group, primarily trafficking in drugs and other contraband. They usually stay out of NCR territory, though."

"Let's talk about something else."

"All right."

"What's going on with the Great Khans?"

"One of my patrols was on its way back from Novac when it came under fire from the Great Khans. They radioed for reinforcements, but instead of waiting for us, they chased the Khans into the ruins where they were caught in a crossfire. No deaths, but not all of the squad got out."

Of course, this is where we come in.

"The Khans have Private Ackerman and Private Gilbert as hostages."

"These Great Khans might have something of mine - a Platnium Chip."

"Once the Great Khans have been killed or captured, you're welcome to retrieve any property they've taken from you."

"I may be able to negotiate a deal with the Great Khans."

"Normally, I'd turn you down since I have no idea who you are, but considering that the hostages are as good as dead when we attack... All right, I'm going to give you a chance to talk to the Great Khans. Their leader is a man named Jessup."

Jessup?

"If we hear shooting, we'll be coming in, but it'll probably be late for you."

Nah, depending on their weapons, we'll take at least 10 shots before going down if I don't feel like stopping time and using my insta-stimpaks.

"Don't worry about me. I can handle myself in a fight."

Yet these guys still managed to ambush us and shoot us in the head earlier on in the game.

"Good luck."

There are about 3 NCR soldiers on the left, aiming at the Great Khans.

That building is where the Great Khans are hiding out. If we decided to sneak through here, they would be hostile to us by default, but going in there and negotiating allows you to walk right through.

That's some great cover you got there!

This is so satisfying.

"I got better."

Obvious reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail there. This isn't the only time this game (Or any other game for that matter) reference that movie.

"And here I thought us Great Khans were tough to kill. So, what happens now?"

"Where's the Platnium Chip?"

Why are we after the Platnium Chip? Shouldn't we care more about Benny at this point?

"Don't have it. Benny stole it, right before he stabbed us in the back. He's probably back at the Strip right now, laughing at me."

Well, we should have figured he would be there.

"I want some more answers."

"Yeah? On what?"

"What can you tell me about Benny?"

"He's one of the Chairmen, big shots who run The Tops casino in New Vegas. A friend from the city contacted me with info on a big job. I should've known that the caps were too good to be true, but there was still no way I could pass up the chance."

"What do you know about the Platnium Chip?"

"Just a big, fancy poker chip as far as I know. Don't know why anyone would make on out of platnium, though."

I dunno, platnium is a pretty nice metal. It's shiny, and probably does other cool things that I can't quite remember.

"Why did Benny betray you?"

Does he even need a reason to? It's pretty clear already that the guy is kind of a dick.

"He's a snake, that's why. He owed us the rest of the pay for the job, so maybe he didn't want to pay up."

How exactly did he betray you guys though? Just walk right out on you, or was there a fight or something?

"Let's talk about settling things between you and the NCR."

"What's to negotiate? The NCR backs off, we walk out of here, nobody gets hurt."

"[Speech 45] Free the hostages now, and I'll have the NCR escort you out of their territory?"

"[SUCCEEDED] I can't believe I'm doing this, but all right, the hostages can go."

This is the first major, important speech check you'll get in the game.

"The NCR had better keep their end of the deal, though. Here - a souvenir for you. It's Benny's lighter. Shove it up his ass when you catch up with him."

Will do.

Level up time again, this time points in Lockpick, Repair and Speech. Mostly for skill check purposes, we're still pretty effective with guns even if we're only at 60.

I like me some shotguns.

The hostages run back to the NCR.

"The Great Khans let the hostages go in exchange for their own freedom."

"My hands are tied. I can't go against orders... can I?"

"If you have any integrity, then you'll honor the deal."

"You're right. The Great Khans are free to go."

We're pretty good at this negotiating thing. I kind wish that he ordered the Khans to be killed anyway, as a bit of a twist. I mean, it wasn't one of them magical speech checks.

Yay, more reputation.

Just outside of Boulder City is this area. It's a train station, not much else to note.

Is that... Victor?

Somehow I'm not surprised.

"How did you get here?"

"Just rolling along on my spurs. Looks like I just might make it to New Vegas after all.

Weird to make a detour to Boulder City though.

"You see what happened in there?"

"Yup. Guess it's just down to you and fancy-pants. I wouldn't worry about him - he looked all hat and no cattle if you ask me."

What does that even mean?

"It's good to see you again, Victor."

"Yup, but this is getting a might embarrassing - people are going to start to talk. "

This isn't the only game I've played with an NPC who pretty much follows you around everywhere and says a variation on that exact same line.

Also, obligatory "If this was a BioWare game, there would be a Courier and Victor romance option."

"Did you see Benny come this way?"

"Fancy-pants? No, I ain't seen hide-nor-hair of him since the tussle in Goodsprings. I'm sure he ran back to the soft-living of New Vegas, 'though."

"Goodbye."

"Look me up when you get to New Vegas - I'll buy the first round."

I'm sure we'll be seeing Victor again real soon. We're almost at Vegas anyways.

Well, there's New Vegas. It seems far off, but now we know for sure where Benny is. That Platnium Chip is as good as ours.
How did you solve the conflict at Boulder City?

(By the way, I've created updates to a point just after returning the Platinum Chip to Mr. House from the Fort (Which is quite a decent way ahead in the game). After that point, we are definitely doing Dead Money first, I've decided. I'll go in order of release, but I won't do all the DLC back to back.)

Fangv2

Jan 20, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
How did you solve the conflict at Boulder City?

(By the way, I've created updates to a point just after returning the Platinum Chip to Mr. House from the Fort (Which is quite a decent way ahead in the game). After that point, we are definitely doing Dead Money first, I've decided. I'll go in order of release, but I won't do all the DLC back to back.)

Yay, Dead Money!
Also to answer your question, 1st playthrough I did what you did and then on my 2nd playthrough I murdered the NCR(I think).