Let's point out silly double standards!

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Crono1973 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Crono1973 said:
Two of my favorite double standards:

Rape is one of the worst things that can happen to a woman and is most certainly nothing to laugh about. Prison rape against men though is hilarious.

Slapping a woman is domestic violence, it is evil and illegal. Only a monster would do it. On the other hand, slapping men, kicking them in the groin and throwing objects at them is not only ok, but humorous.

Oddly enough, while there's no doubt that finding rape and violence against men ok (and funny) is wrong, someone will try to defend it or worse, turn it around and blame the male victims.
It's all in the portrayal, just look at American History X.

I do agree with you though, and even worse is the idea that "Woman can't rape men"
Added the movie to my Netflix Queue.
Just warning you, it is a very graphic movie, and it is done in a way unlike the action movies where killing is no big deal.

Indeed, men can get an erection passed out and women can rape them. Of course, it's only rape if the genders were reversed.
Not to mention that men can get aroused without wanting too. But I think the hardest reason (no pun intended) for people to believe that men can be raped by women is their reaction to trauma. While both men and women would be upset about being assaulted or raped, in our society many men believe that it is not OK for them to cry, so they try to act tough, and the best way to seem tough while preventing yourself from crying is to get mad. in general it seems that people have an easier time sympathizing with the crying woman than with the pissed off man.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Vrex360 said:
Torrasque said:
Faux Furry said:
Then, there is also this mess [http://youtu.be/4JA4EPRbWhQ].
Yep, I've seen this video. AA is fucking awesome, he is my favorite ranter to listen to on youtubes.
Just curious, reading the thing above... do you still think he's awesome?
I know that wasn't directed at me, but your post confirmed what I already suspected of him. From the first thirty seconds where he refers to the women of The Talk as c***s and describes their show as as mindless c***s sitting around and talking about their problems.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
artanis_neravar said:
Crono1973 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Crono1973 said:

Rape is one of the worst things that can happen to a woman and is most certainly nothing to laugh about. Prison rape against men though is hilarious.

Slapping a woman is domestic violence, it is evil and illegal. Only a monster would do it. On the other hand, slapping men, kicking them in the groin and throwing objects at them is not only ok, but humorous.

Oddly enough, while there's no doubt that finding rape and violence against men ok (and funny) is wrong, someone will try to defend it or worse, turn it around and blame the male victims.

I do agree with you though, and even worse is the idea that "Woman can't rape men"
Just warning you, it is a very graphic movie, and it is done in a way unlike the action movies where killing is no big deal.

Indeed, men can get an erection passed out and women can rape them. Of course, it's only rape if the genders were reversed.
Not to mention that men can get aroused without wanting too. But I think the hardest reason (no pun intended) for people to believe that men can be raped by women is their reaction to trauma. While both men and women would be upset about being assaulted or raped, in our society many men believe that it is not OK for them to cry, so they try to act tough, and the best way to seem tough while preventing yourself from crying is to get mad. in general it seems that people have an easier time sympathizing with the crying woman than with the pissed off man.
Women turn on the waterworks to get all kinds of sympathy and favors. Men get mad and are called jerks and abusers. Men don't dare cry lest they want to be made fun of.

Yes, there are many double standards where gender relations are concerned. How about the whole teacher molestation thing. Male teacher has sex with a female teenager, he's a pedophile who should be castrated. Female teacher has sex with male teenager, HE got lucky. No mention of unusual punishments for the teacher though.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Crono1973 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Crono1973 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Crono1973 said:

Women turn on the waterworks to get all kinds of sympathy and favors. Men get mad and are called jerks and abusers. Men don't dare cry lest they want to be made fun of.

Yes, there are many double standards where gender relations are concerned. How about the whole teacher molestation thing. Male teacher has sex with a female teenager, he's a pedophile who should be castrated. Female teacher has sex with male teenager, HE got lucky. No mention of unusual punishments for the teacher though.
I actually find that one entertaining, because I hear females spouting that particular line a lot, and none of them seem to get that the implication is: The underage male is so much more stronger willed that he managed to convince his mature knowledgeable teacher into having sex with him.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Vrex360 said:
Torrasque said:
Faux Furry said:
Yep, I've seen this video. AA is fucking awesome, he is my favorite ranter to listen to on youtubes.
You betcha.
Do I agree with everything he says? Of course not. Even with my best friend who is practically a carbon copy of myself, I don't agree with everything he says. The same applies to AA, especially with what he said to that rape victim. I'm not going to let that affect the many other things that he has said that I agree with.

Its like if I am playing Pokemon and have a fight where Thunder misses 5 times in a row, while my enemy's Dynamic Punch hits 5 times in a row. I am not going to completely change my opinion of Thunder, Dynamic Punch, and Pomemon, hust from that one battle.

I hope you're not the type to completely miss the point of analogies, or takes offense at non-serious analogies about serious issues =|

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Hello there, I'm pro-life so if you have an abortion I'll kill you.

Hello there, I hate people who take drugs, now excuse me while I drink a gallon of booze.

Ooh and one that's actually happened to me in real life.
I had somone tell me once that I was a bad person for having performed in vitro testing with animal tissues during my time in the pharmaceutical industry. They then invited me to go betting on dog races with them, where they put down animals purely because they do not run fast enough.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Not the best example of double standards, but it really bothers me when I'm talking about video game lore and character motivations only to have some sports fanatic calling me a nerd, then proceeding to state the batting average of every single person on whatever baseball team down to the thousandth.

This actually happened when pressed for an impromptu presentation in speech class, luckily my super awesome teacher pointed out the stupidity and kicked him out of class for the day for heckling.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Helmholtz Watson said:
Eventidal said:
Maybe I'm wrong but don't most Bible-centric religions follow only the new testament these days?
Well I think some Jewish people would have to politely disagree.
The Torah, that is to say the Jewish holy book, is the Old Testament.

The Bible, which is followed by Christians, is the Old Testament + the New Testament.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Torrasque said:
Vrex360 said:
Torrasque said:
Faux Furry said:
You betcha.
Do I agree with everything he says? Of course not. Even with my best friend who is practically a carbon copy of myself, I don't agree with everything he says. The same applies to AA, especially with what he said to that rape victim. I'm not going to let that affect the many other things that he has said that I agree with.
Yeah but when it comes to presenting arguments do you really want to use or endorse the opinions of a person who will openly attempt to trigger a rape victim in the most disgusting way imagineable like that? To me it's not a matter of his opinion, rather its the man himself, even though you now know that he's the kind of person to do something like that you are still endorsing him.
It's not about agreement, it's about respect. Do you still seriously have an ounce of respect to a man who told a rape victim to drown in rape semen?

Its like if I am playing Pokemon and have a fight where Thunder misses 5 times in a row, while my enemy's Dynamic Punch hits 5 times in a row. I am not going to completely change my opinion of Thunder, Dynamic Punch, and Pomemon, hust from that one battle.
The problem I have with this analogy is that you are talking about this like he just lost an argument and said something stupid. When really what he did was openly and publicly reveal his true colors in a horrific way.
This isn't a case of 'momentary failure find new strategy', this is more like suddenly finding out that 'Thunder' openly endorses rape and misogyny.

Then again I could be missing the point of this analogy, so maybe you should elaborate.

I hope you're not the type to completely miss the point of analogies, or takes offense at non-serious analogies about serious issues =|
Not really, no.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
One double-standard I love to bring up is that if a woman has a fucking collection of sex toys in their house, nobody really cares too much. If a guy has one it's apparently something he should be deeply ashamed of because everyone will treat him like a weirdo!

We have needs too and we don't always have access to real people, okay!?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
It's called the exception mate... can we please get off my EXAMPLE and actually discuss! For gods sake.
If you hadn't chosen such an aggressive, biased stance then perhaps people would be more likely to discuss idiotic double standards rather than get hung up on your point.

I don't hate MLP or it's fandom, but even I think the way you wrote your OP is detrimental to any real discussion.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Vault101 said:
when I was in highschool (all girls) the world of sex and all that because VERY confusing

being a "slut" is bad....but being "fridged" is also bad?

its ok for guys to sleep around but when girls do its bad?

wait...having sex is "good" but it can also be bad and somthing to be ridiculed for and can get you lebelled a slut? YOUR the slut not him?.

...waaaaaahhh?
"Why is it when a woman has sex with a bunch of men she's called a slut, but when a man does the exact same thing he's called a homosexual."

Not sure where it's from but I laughed pretty hard when i first saw it.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Vrex360 said:
Torrasque said:
Vrex360 said:
Torrasque said:
Faux Furry said:
You betcha.
Yeah but when it comes to presenting arguments do you really want to use or endorse the opinions of a person who will openly attempt to trigger a rape victim in the most disgusting way imagineable like that? To me it's not a matter of his opinion, rather its the man himself, even though you now know that he's the kind of person to do something like that you are still endorsing him.
It's not about agreement, it's about respect. Do you still seriously have an ounce of respect to a man who told a rape victim to drown in rape semen?

The problem I have with this analogy is that you are talking about this like he just lost an argument and said something stupid. When really what he did was openly and publicly reveal his true colors in a horrific way.
This isn't a case of 'momentary failure find new strategy', this is more like suddenly finding out that 'Thunder' openly endorses rape and misogyny.

Then again I could be missing the point of this analogy, so maybe you should elaborate.

Not really, no.
My analogy was about my opinion of him rather than his arguing strategy. I have high opinions of Thunder and AA, seeing them do something that I do not like does not mean I do a complete 180 and stop using Thunder or stop watching AA videos. I will think differently of course, maybe use Thunder sparingly or be more critical of AA, but 1 comment like that doesn't make me grab my torch and pitchfork.

Just like in a battle, I don't know all the variables that caused such a response. Was Sunny Day in effect? Was my accuracy down? Did the enemy use double team 4 times? Are there abilities in play? You have to know all of these things to say definitively whether Thunder sucks or not, and then there is the really random "luck" factor in Pokemon that causes bullshit like this.

For AA's comment, I don't know if he was having a bad day or not, if someone had pissed him off, what the rape victim had said earlier, if he has experience talking with rape victims, etc. Of course, all the variables in the world don't make it alright to say something like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just lost his composure and said the worst thing he could think of just to vent his rage. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone do that.

I guess from now on, I'll tell people not to check out his video rants about rape victims? Maybe I'll tell people to be more critical of his opinions of women? I still find his most of his views to be quite observant and to cut to the heart of the issue.

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
Torrasque said:
Just like in a battle, I don't know all the variables that caused such a response. Was Sunny Day in effect? Was my accuracy down? Did the enemy use double team 4 times? Are there abilities in play? You have to know all of these things to say definitively whether Thunder sucks or not, and then there is the really random "luck" factor in Pokemon that causes bullshit like this.

For AA's comment, I don't know if he was having a bad day or not, if someone had pissed him off, what the rape victim had said earlier, if he has experience talking with rape victims, etc. Of course, all the variables in the world don't make it alright to say something like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he just lost his composure and said the worst thing he could think of just to vent his rage. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone do that.

I guess from now on, I'll tell people not to check out his video rants about rape victims? Maybe I'll tell people to be more critical of his opinions of women? I still find his most of his views to be quite observant and to cut to the heart of the issue.
Who care's if he was having a bad day. Attempting to trigger rape victims makes him an ASSHOLE. Him loudly and repeatedly calling women cunts and bitches makes him an ASSHOLE. Threatening to rape people makes him an ASSHOLE. What possible "bad day" justifies that?

He's literally the worst person on YouTube, he doesn't cut to the heart of anything.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
rosac said:
/Flameshield Up

Aetheists who get pissy at those who rub their religion in their face, and then rant about how science is the true way forward and everything religion says is wrong... Theres actually an interesting debate into whether science should be considered a religion, after all, how many people believe what scientists say with question? They may have "proof" but then, priests also have their own versions of proof that gods exist. Just saying.
I think the main difference is that scientific "facts" can be demonstrated by anybody and everybody. Sure, people might take it on their word that, say, gravity exists. They have evidence, sure, but anybody in the world can demonstrate gravity.

Once it gets into thing like Quantum Physics, I agree that it's kind of stupid just to take those things on fact. I personally have a hard time believing that we can actually make observations on the sub-sub-sub-atomic level with our current technology. (Also, any documentary on the History Channel often has "scientists" saying "Well, we know that atoms are made of energy, therefore yoga can cure cancer," or equally fallacious conclusions that are just used to keep people interested). Otherwise, demonstrable scientific facts are far more valid than religion of any kind, which is not demonstrable. If proof could be shown for any religion, you wouldn't need "faith."

p.s it should be noted I am a firm believer in the falsification theory. I.e. something is true until it is proven false. If it is proven completely false once, then it is false, regardless of how often it has been correct in the past. Hence why I believe the supernatural could potentially exist.
I strongly suggest you abandon that way of thinking immediately. To put it frankly, that is the absolute opposite of logic. If things were true until proven false, then everyone convicted of a crime would be in jail, every hypothesis would instantly be true, and we would not have ever learned how to do the simplest of things.

Assuming things to be false until they are proven true is how science works, and science yields results. Philosophical speculation (well, what if we're all sort of color-blind and when we see white things, theyre just that color we cant see?) gets you nowhere.

I may be misunderstanding your position and if so, please let me know. But right now it seems like I could definitively prove that there's a giant snake who laid a bunch of eggs called Mercury, Venus, Earth, etc. and the sun is just incubating them until they hatch and destroy humanity, all just by saying so; and you would have to definitively prove that wrong until anyone is going to believe that we don't live in a cosmic snake nursery.

PS: Again, if I seem overly abrasive, I apologize.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
CaptainKarma said:
Torrasque said:
Who care's if he was having a bad day. Attempting to trigger rape victims makes him an ASSHOLE. Him loudly and repeatedly calling women cunts and bitches makes him an ASSHOLE. Threatening to rape people makes him an ASSHOLE. What possible "bad day" justifies that?
But Torrasque addressed that. He said it doesn't make it alright.
Torrasque's point is that just because he's an asshole and said some horrible things, doesn't make his points invalid and unworthy of discussion.

Certainly you can argue that he doesn't handle the issues with delicacy, but in turn one can argue if that even matters.

On the AA, I like some of what he points out, but I don't agree with everything he says, and what he said was indeed horrible. But I greatly enjoy his anger against religious youtubers.

CaptainKarma said:
He's literally the worst person on YouTube, he doesn't cut to the heart of anything.
That's kind of a vague statement. I sort of understand what you mean, but it's riddled in slippery speech.

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
Bertylicious said:
The whole notion of the "deserving" poor. They're all undeserving, otherwise charity wouldn't be neccesary.

Also people who argue against giving foreigners aid. They don't understand the meaning of goodwill.
I wonder if trolling or just republican. I dont think I understand your concept of charity, why would it not be nescessary if the poor deserved it?

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Guilherme Zoldan said:
Bertylicious said:
The whole notion of the "deserving" poor. They're all undeserving, otherwise charity wouldn't be neccesary.

Also people who argue against giving foreigners aid. They don't understand the meaning of goodwill.
I wonder if trolling or just republican. I dont think I understand your concept of charity, why would it not be nescessary if the poor deserved it?
If the poor were "deserving", by which it is most often meant that they're capable of working and basically looking after themselves, then they won't need charity. Like say a dude who's a welder but has lost his job. He's a skilled worker so it won't be long till he finds re-employment, although he may need to relocate himself and his family to do so. I think that's the sort of thing people have in mind when they think of the "deserving" poor.

Now lets take a single mother who got pregnant at 15, has 4 kids by 4 different fathers and has never worked a day in her life. She is what many people might consider "undeserving". Both these examples, however, are equally needy; neither can sustain themselves without the assistance of others it's just that the welder will probably not require the charity for as long as the single mother, who will probably need it her whole life.

To put it more clearly; charity should be about providing help to others unselfishly and making a distinction belies self interest in only wanting to give up to a certain point. I'm not certain that making this distinction is right or wrong though. Seriously, I genuinely don't know and would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Lovely Mixture said:
CaptainKarma said:
Torrasque said:
But Torrasque addressed that. He said it doesn't make it alright.
Torrasque's point is that just because he's an asshole and said some horrible things, doesn't make his points invalid and unworthy of discussion.

Certainly you can argue that he doesn't handle the issues with delicacy, but in turn one can argue if that even matters.

On the AA, I like some of what he points out, but I don't agree with everything he says, and what he said was indeed horrible. But I greatly enjoy his anger against religious youtubers.

CaptainKarma said:
That's kind of a vague statement. I sort of understand what you mean, but it's riddled in slippery speech.
Thank you, that was my point exactly.
As for "worst person on youtube", I think that title has to go to reply girls in general.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
Jiffex said:
Vault101 said:
when I was in highschool (all girls) the world of sex and all that because VERY confusing

being a "slut" is bad....but being "fridged" is also bad?

its ok for guys to sleep around but when girls do its bad?

wait...having sex is "good" but it can also be bad and somthing to be ridiculed for and can get you lebelled a slut? YOUR the slut not him?.

...waaaaaahhh?
The best thing I've heard to describe this was "A key that opens many locks is a good key, a lock that is opened by many keys is a shitty lock"
A key that opens many locks is called a lockpick and oftentimes used for illegal activities.
HOW DOES THAT FIT IN YOUR METAPHOR, BUCKO?