Let's rage about gamers

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
So, let's talk about things that drives us mad about gamers. Not games, but gamers. Maybe it's some little trait that you hate, maybe it's some particular group of fanboys that you dislike for one reason or another.
Note, I don't want to start a flame war, and I acknowledge that this is gonna be a really subjective and maybe unfair to someone topic.

So, let me start. RUSSIAN GAMERS. I fucking hate them! Seriously guys, you think that a couple of snarking PC-elitist assholes is bad, try Russian game forums. I find it hard to describe what exactly Russian gamers are like, so instead I'll just tell you about some common traits most of them share
1)Russian gamers have invented derogatory term "Кинцо" that could be approximately translated as "Movie-like". Basically, any game with a lack of gameplay gets branded as such. But, how little gameplay does game have to have to get that brand? Fucked if I know! Here's a little list of games that are considered being "Кинцо" among Russian gamers: Heavy Rain (ok, understandable), The Walking Dead, Uncharted series (apparently, because it has a lot of cutscenes, but not MGS4(!)), Bioshock: Infinite, Crysis. Can you see a pattern here, because I can fucking not!
2)"SOUL". "Soul" is another term being thrown around a lot among Russian gamers. Apparently, "Soul" is something that every old PC game had, and every modern game lacks. What exactly does "Soul" mean? Fucked if I know!
3)Being a console gamer is almost shameful. So, from point 1 you might think that Russian gamer would love Nintendo, right? The one game company whose games are driven almost exclusively on gameplay and innovation. Nope, because apparently Nintendo is a "bunch of cock suckers who make games for retarded children". Ok, then, what about Sony? "PS3 HAS NO GAEMS LOL! DRAKEFACE!". Now, I understand a reason why consoles might not be very popular in Russia, just google "Welcome to Russia, Where Most of Your Friends Are Video Game Pirates" if you want to find out, but I still find it hard to understand a reasoning behind such hostility.
EDIT: OH! I remembered another one
4)Homophobia. You know what's the most common opinion of Mass Effect 3 among Russian gamers? It's not "Ughh, game ending sucked", it's "Ughh, they turned my Shepard into a gay!"... yeah, they added completely optional, non forced romance and this way turned Shepard into gay. Yeah...

I realize that all these points do not apply to all Russian gamers, but this is the general impression I got by interacting with them on major game forums.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Okay, gamers need to stop bitching about everything and just have fun. So what if they like something you don't or hate something you don't? That shouldn't effect your enjoyment. Also stop complaining about games not made for you, games are diverse enough everyone can find something so stop whining because you don't like x and it won't change to your taste. Shut up and go enjoy y.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Let's see.

1: Swedish/Polish gamers back when I played MOH: Allied Assault. They were 3/4 assholes. Always supported each other in chat even if they were blatantly wrong. They were very quick to anger. Their play style was often a detriment to their team. And lastly, they mostly spoke in their language, only speaking very broken english every now and then. I always found it funny to go "Hey, I can speak swedish too! XCVNIKA SDFJSDF WEUWQCASJB KURWA KURWA KURWA!!!" if they only spoke swedish/polish. They would always get really pissed at that. :p (All I knew back then was that 'kurwa' was a derogatory term to say to someone else back then.)

2: Faboys/girls of any game really. No game so far has been the next messiah of gaming. (apart from hl2 maybe.) No game is so good that you should overlook or make excuses for it's flaws. And no game deserves to be extended to such an extend that if someone gives good, well thought out critique, you should bash them for not 100% liking the game.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
TehCookie said:
Okay, gamers need to stop bitching about everything and just have fun. So what if they like something you don't or hate something you don't? That shouldn't effect your enjoyment. Also stop complaining about games not made for you, games are diverse enough everyone can find something so stop whining because you don't like x and it won't change to your taste. Shut up and go enjoy y.
You know...this thread isn't meant for you to give your opinion on other gamers. It's meant for pointing out types of gamers that you get angry about. If you can't be on topic, don't post. -.-

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I hate it when gamers start threads in order to express bigoted opinions and try to disguise it as something else.

Also, the "shut up and take my money" attitude that many gamers have. No wonder publishers charge $60 for a game.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
sanquin said:
TehCookie said:
You know...this thread isn't meant for you to give your opinion on other gamers. It's meant for pointing out types of gamers that you get angry about. If you can't be on topic, don't post. -.-
Wait what? It's not meant for giving your opinion on other gamers, but it's for giving your opinion on other gamers? That's what I got from your post.

ninjarafter

Jun 11, 2013
IllumInaTIma said:
Bulgarian here, как дела? :)

Honestly, it's pretty much the same here, with most people who consider themselves serious gamers being insufferable elitist, oldfag, pricks, who constantly lament over the superiority of old games. Usually their opinions are hilarious to me, since they try so hard to be cynical and "hardcore" that they end up shitting over dozens of critically acclaimed and beloved games and game series. Like, for example I remember back when Freelancer came out(AKA, the last, great Space Sim along with Freespace 2) and people were bashing it, because of the "sissy mouse controls"(back then the Joystick was still a thing and apparently a mark of a true Space Sim gamer. I owned a joystick and I hated the thing). There was also a lot of whining and bitching about Hitman: Blood Money, so much so that for years I was actually embarrassed to even say that I loved it online(even on the Western side of the Internet), before I realized that it was considered the best in the series.

My theory on why they're like this is that maybe, because a lot of these guys don't spend a lot of time on foreign forums, there is nobody around to soften their opinions a bit. Since the forums they typically hang out on are big ol' circlejerks they get reaffirmed in their hateful opinions, they never encounter opposing viewpoints too often and they never have a reason to look more critically at their own views.

So that's my two cents about that.

If I have to say what annoys me about gamers in general, I'd have to say it's because so few people adopt a "Live and let live" approach to people with different tastes than them. Everybody's like "No! I have to make this random guy online see how truly retarded he is for liking that game/not liking that game". It's like... why do you give a shit? At all. Just ignore it and move on. You aren't saving the industry from the inevitable Mediocrity Apocalypse by insulting somebody online. It wouldn't kill you to argue in a calm and civilized manner.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
sanquin said:
Maybe it's some little trait that you hate,
I may be wrong, but
gamers need to stop bitching about everything and just have fun.
Sounds like
some little trait that you hate
to me.

And coming from that "Worst games you've ever completed" thread, I have to agree. Come on, somebody said Bioshock Infinite is the worst game he's ever finished because it "missed the point" of the original (ignoring the fact that it wasn't trying to ape, copy, or otherwise follow the original and that Ken Levine and Irrational Games are free to do what they like with their gorram franchise).

I don't mind bitching about the legitimate problems, like say when Microsoft was trying to make us submit to a mandatory 24-hour online check-in just to use their console. That's justified. But all of the nontroversies that surround every single game that gets released these days? They're tiring. They reek of false senses of entitlement. They sound like tantrums coming from spoiled four year-olds, and that makes me sad for the state of the community that I am a part of.

I'm sick of people declaring that a game is going to be terrible when all we know about it is the title. I'm tired of people crying "sexism" whenever a woman is shown in anything, because it's apparently impossible to put women into anything or any position without it somehow being sexist. I'm tired of people raging on and on and on endlessly about how reboots can never be good, or about how [Game] this or [Franchise] that is "killing the industry", and how there's a looming AAA-industry crash that they hope will happen so the indies can take over as if it would somehow bring about a golden age of innovation (which isn't always a good thing) and customer-friendliness to the industry, ignoring that that's not how economics works.

Maybe I just need to stop looking at Gaming Discussion around here, and stop looking at comments on Destructoid or Kotaku or IGN or wherever else. Maybe I just need to ignore the entire gaming community, because from what I can see the vocal part of them on the internet does nothing but complain, and I'm tired of complaining.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
sanquin said:
Yeah, the only way to be on topic, if we follow your advice, is to be a paradox. So...is this thread only for Schroedinger's cat?

OT(??): I'd agree with TehCookie - I too don't like gamers complaining too much. We've got enough threads to complain about everything, raging about stuff happens all the time, I don't think a specific thread was either needed or helps.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
DoPo said:
OT(??): I'd agree with TehCookie - I too don't like gamers complaining too much. We've got enough threads to complain about everything, raging about stuff happens all the time, I don't think a specific thread was either needed or helps.
Not gonna lie, I've created that topic just to vent about Russian gamers because I was about to reach a boiling point. But, I didn't want it to be just me ranting so I kinda invited everyone else.
But yeah, you're right, I think we have enough negativity in gaming, and I do nothing but contribute to it...

shrekfan246 said:
Maybe I just need to stop looking at Gaming Discussion around here
NO! Don't go dude, your posts are one of the best around here.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
DoPo said:
Yeah, the only way to be on topic, if we follow your advice, is to be a paradox. So...is this thread only for Schroedinger's cat?

It sounded to me like the post was aimed at this topic. As in, it's a topic where people complain. That being said, either way it's ironic. Making a post in which you complain about people complaining too much. Heh...

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
I hate when a "gamer" proceeds to talk on behalf of all the gamers out there like every gamer shares the exact same opinion. When: we don't like this, it should be done for us, 90% of the gamers here, starts to get used I don't really want to be part of the discussion anymore.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
NO! Don't go dude, your posts are one of the best around here.
Aw shucks, now I can't leave.

Hubris, my one weakness!

I just hope we don't get another event like Mass Effect 3. I can handle all the little complaints that float around nowadays, another massive outburst on that scale would just completely burn me out. I'm already jaded to all of the cynicism as it is.

Oct 10, 2011
Kids that play online. I play multiplayer games about half the time because I enjoy working with a team and talking with intelligent people.

But if I try to do matchmaking, I almost always hear some kid screaming or crying into thier mic, so I either tell them to shut up or I mute them(usually both). Besides being disruptive, they hardly ever work with the team, and usually do one of two thing in the game: 1. Do nothing to help the team or 2. hurt the team with friendly fire or helping the enemies, ect.

I hardly ever play matchmaking on games that don't have a votekick (no matter how much I enjoy it when I get into a good game) because of this.

The worst thing is that I used to be like that *shudders*

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
One thing I hate about gamers are the specific type that takes rivalry and competition over having fun.
These are the people who curse at you for not being on your "A" game on servers even though your generally having a good time.
There are surprisingly a lot of them in Pokemon, which has made me avoid the competition forums like the plague.
Seriously, I just want to raise an awesome team with my favorite Pokemon.
I don't need you to shove your elitism in my face.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Children in multiplayer games. They're part of the reason why I hardly ever play online anymore. Too much yelling, misused swear words, and bigoted comments to handle. Not to mention, they often yell at you for "not playing the game right" when it really just means "I'm doing bad and need someone to blame! Wahhhhhhhh!" And then you get the adults that feel the need to act like children when dealing with those children...man, that might be even worse.

After that, it is really just people who absolutely refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with them and goes into personal attacks against those people. I like disagreements, even the more passioned fanboy-based vs. hater-based ones, as they can lead to some interesting discussions. The problem arises when someone is such a fanboy of a game/franchise or such a hater of a game/franchise that they refuse to listen and really just figuratively yell as loud as they can. All it really does is stifle any interesting discussion that can be had.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
So, let's talk about things that drives us mad about gamers. Not games, but gamers. Maybe it's some little trait that you hate, maybe it's some particular group of fanboys that you dislike for one reason or another.
Note, I don't want to start a flame war, and I acknowledge that this is gonna be a really subjective and maybe unfair to someone topic.

So, let me start. RUSSIAN GAMERS. I fucking hate them! Seriously guys, you think that a couple of snarking PC-elitist assholes is bad, try Russian game forums. I find it hard to describe what exactly Russian gamers are like, so instead I'll just tell you about some common traits most of them share
1)Russian gamers have invented derogatory term "Кинцо" that could be approximately translated as "Movie-like". Basically, any game with a lack of gameplay gets branded as such. But, how little gameplay does game have to have to get that brand? Fucked if I know! Here's a little list of games that are considered being "Кинцо" among Russian gamers: Heavy Rain (ok, understandable), The Walking Dead, Uncharted series (apparently, because it has a lot of cutscenes, but not MGS4(!)), Bioshock: Infinite, Crysis. Can you see a pattern here, because I can fucking not!
2)"SOUL". "Soul" is another term being thrown around a lot among Russian gamers. Apparently, "Soul" is something that every old PC game had, and every modern game lacks. What exactly does "Soul" mean? Fucked if I know!
3)Being a console gamer is almost shameful. So, from point 1 you might think that Russian gamer would love Nintendo, right? The one game company whose games are driven almost exclusively on gameplay and innovation. Nope, because apparently Nintendo is a "bunch of cock suckers who make games for retarded children". Ok, then, what about Sony? "PS3 HAS NO GAEMS LOL! DRAKEFACE!". Now, I understand a reason why consoles might not be very popular in Russia, just google "Welcome to Russia, Where Most of Your Friends Are Video Game Pirates" if you want to find out, but I still find it hard to understand a reasoning behind such hostility.

I realize that all these points do not apply to all Russian gamers, but this is the general impression I got by interacting with them on major game forums.
Wow they sound like assholes.

Most of my complaints are generic and dull.

I dislike the blind fanboysd, I dislike the PC elitists who won't even talk to a console gamer without being superior about it even when the only thing concerned is the experience of the game, I dislike the complete twats who spout misinformed bullshit about Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft or whatever.

Otherwise meh, whatever, it isn't worth me getting angry at ignorant pissants on the internet.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
Children in multiplayer games. They're part of the reason why I hardly ever play online anymore. Too much yelling, misused swear words, and bigoted comments to handle. Not to mention, they often yell at you for "not playing the game right" when it really just means "I'm doing bad and need someone to blame! Wahhhhhhhh!" And then you get the adults that feel the need to act like children when dealing with those children...man, that might be even worse.

After that, it is really just people who absolutely refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with them and goes into personal attacks against those people. I like disagreements, even the more passioned fanboy-based vs. hater-based ones, as they can lead to some interesting discussions. The problem arises when someone is such a fanboy of a game/franchise or such a hater of a game/franchise that they refuse to listen and really just figuratively yell as loud as they can. All it really does is stifle any interesting discussion that can be had.
If it's FPS's use the mute button, or come play Bad Company 2 and play in a squad with only your friends to completely block their random bullshit.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
People that don't try at all. Don't give me that bullshit excuse of "it's just a game man, who cares." Well I care because I am your opponent. When you don't try, then why am I even here. The game has given you all the tools you need to pull off some kind of strategy, use it you little shit.