Let's rage about gamers

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
gamers who lose their shit in multiplayer. Then proceed to become trolls. those jerks ruin the experience for everyone.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Gamers everywhere seem to think it's OK to buy a game that doesn't work.
It will be fine in 2 weeks!
Can't get past a certain point, due to a common game breaking bug? No problem, wait for patch 1.2.

Really?

Name one other thing that you'd buy that doesn't work, and then defend till you're blue in the face.

This kind of "I'm willing to take it up the ass" attitude is what caused Microsoft to believe they can get away with their nonsense.

Taking a look around the house, there isn't a single other thing (except utilities - I include internet here) that I can't get a refund for if it's flat out broken.
Heck, for some things, it's fine to return those even if I just don't like them.

You know what game EA is making doubly sure absolutely works?
Sims 4.
'cos non-gamers play Sims, and if it doesn't work, they'd get ripped a new asshole.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
IllumInaTIma said:
Russian gamers have invented derogatory term "Кинцо" that could be approximately translated as "Movie-like". Basically, any game with a lack of gameplay gets branded as such. But, how little gameplay does game have to have to get that brand? Fucked if I know! Here's a little list of games that are considered being "Кинцо" among Russian gamers: Heavy Rain (ok, understandable), The Walking Dead, Uncharted series (apparently, because it has a lot of cutscenes, but not MGS4(!)), Bioshock: Infinite, Crysis. Can you see a pattern here, because I can fucking not!
Oh hey, it's just like english gamers whining about how story-heavy games like The Walking Dead don't fill some arbitrary interactivity threshold and thus aren't games. What a coincidence!

IllumInaTIma said:
"SOUL". "Soul" is another term being thrown around a lot among Russian gamers. Apparently, "Soul" is something that every old PC game had, and every modern game lacks. What exactly does "Soul" mean? Fucked if I know!
Oh hey, also just like english gamers and how every old PC game was "deep and complex" and how every new one is "streamlined and dumbed down". Another coincidence.

IllumInaTIma said:
3)Being a console gamer is almost shameful. So, from point 1 you might think that Russian gamer would love Nintendo, right? The one game company whose games are driven almost exclusively on gameplay and innovation. Nope, because apparently Nintendo is a "bunch of cock suckers who make games for retarded children". Ok, then, what about Sony? "PS3 HAS NO GAEMS LOL! DRAKEFACE!".
Oh hey, it's like almost every PC gamer ever's views on most of the consoles. Right up to Nintendo being for babies and Sony having "no gaems lol".

In all honestly I think you don't specifically hate Russian gamers, just a good portion of gamer culture in general.

OT: I also hate a good portion of gaming culture in general, most of the elitist attitudes about the PC vs Wii U vs PS4 vs xBone piss me off. But if I have to go with something that specifically affects me, I'd go for people taking games too seriously. I've been getting into DOTA 2 recently and sweet Jesus there's alot of rage, I've been starting to purposely do bad in games if I notice my team being dicks.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
Gamers everywhere seem to think it's OK to buy a game that doesn't work.
It will be fine in 2 weeks!
Can't get past a certain point, due to a common game breaking bug? No problem, wait for patch 1.2.

Really?

Name one other thing that you'd buy that doesn't work, and then defend till you're blue in the face.

This kind of "I'm willing to take it up the ass" attitude is what caused Microsoft to believe they can get away with their nonsense.

Taking a look around the house, there isn't a single other thing (except utilities - I include internet here) that I can't get a refund for if it's flat out broken.
Heck, for some things, it's fine to return those even if I just don't like them.

You know what game EA is making doubly sure absolutely works?
Sims 4.
'cos non-gamers play Sims, and if it doesn't work, they'd get ripped a new asshole.
There actually is no reason you cant take games back here, even Apps on Itunes are subject to the Australian Consumer Law. I considered taking Diablo 3 back but made a choice to give them a chance to fix it, that was my choice but there was nothing stopping me doing it. Sim City I would have taken back in a heart beat if I had been silly enough to buy it and Aliens Colonial Marines could have gone back for false advertising (the product fails to deliver what its marketing stated which is grounds for returning it)

Of course some companies don't understand the Australian Consumer Law which is why EA had to be beaten over the head with it before they realized that it applied to them (specifically there origin store) just as much as it applies to EB or Big W. Apparently Itunes think that if they put something into there end user agreement that overrules the law of the land too, they will be proven wrong when the ACCC have enough complaints to take them to court

That's one of the reasons I still prefer to shop in a physical building and will try to support policies which keep EB and Gametraders in business, because there is a physical person you can say "This does not work, give me my money back as directed by this law on this piece of paper" (if needed)

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
In all honestly I think you don't specifically hate Russian gamers, just a good portion of gamer culture in general.
Maybe that. It's just that this kind of behavior is prevalent among Russian gamers and I haven't seen any other place with that kind of attitude. But as I said, it's highly subjective.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Gamers who rage about one company for doing something and ignore another for doing something similar, both of which are gaming related companies. Corporations don't exist to pander to the whim of the customer, they exist to make money. Each has a different business model, and if said business model fails, said company will fail. If said company doesn't fail, they're obviously doing something right, whether you like them or not, because people are still paying for their product.
Gamers who think because they play x-type of game and others play y-type of game, that means the x-type gamers are superior. If one has fun playing y-type games, thats the whole point isn't it? Playing or not playing a genre doesn't make you better, it just makes you different.
Oh and opinions aren't fact.
In-game issues: People who play mmo's who think because they play a certain way (I know, close to the x/y-type) that makes them superior and others who don't play their way shouldn't play the "hardcore" player's game. Remember, everyone who plays said MMO plays differently, and all of you paid the same amount of money to buy the game, and if it has a subscription model, you also pay the same amount to play. Therefore its everyone's playground and there will be differences in play style. Casuals have as much rights to the game as hardcores.
Same goes for console players, PC players, etc. WE are all gamers.
WE all enjoy the hobby, maybe differently, different reasons for it...

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Inability to vote with your wallet. Microsoft is the latest example, being saved by internet whining. In a better world, no one would have bought their console and they would be left wondering as to what is going on.
Microsoft's gaming division should no longer exist. Neither should sony's after that hilarious little downtime of the PSN network that everyone suddenly forgot about.

Nintendo just does everything that makes money. A little less openly hostile towards their customers.

But we all know Microsoft just has to have a few games on their console that doesn't suck and the People will buy the thing. Just as People have punched their credit card information into the PSN.

If people would learn to vote with their wallet, maybe we wouldn't be annoyed by more and more new and fascinating ideas for more DRM. Securom would've died with it's first iteration.
Maybe EA wouldn't have had the opportunity to actively stunt the growth of the medium because they wouldn't exist anymore, same goes for activision and ubisoft.

The whole industry could use a good trimming and if the customers wouldn't just devour every piece of bullshit they where fed then maybe we could have more games and less mismanaged greyish brown vomit.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I get really annoyed with people in multiplayer games who use nothing but the strongest weapons/ tactics/ characters/ whatever.
I understand that people often want to win, and that's fine. It'd just be nice for them to stop every now and again and think "Hey, I'm playing in a random, public game with absolutely nothing on the line, maybe I should stop using my unquestionably overpowered weapon/ tactic/ character/ whatever because it's probably not that fun for the other guys to fight".

Or to make a super specific answer; I've been playing lots of King of the Hill in Team Fortress 2. I wish anyone using the Gunslinger would stick their mini sentries where the sun don't shine.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
1. I've heard a lot of that before, and I think it's a fairly valid criticism of games that have a lot of cutscenes AND linear gameplay based around setpieces. I wouldn't call MGS4 movie-like because although it does have enough cutscenes to disqualify you from its own fast runthrough award, the intervening gameplay is good and gives the player a lot of agency. Something like CoD in general I would call movie-like. One path, and you don't control your own camera half the time even in gameplay. Seems like Russian gamers are happy to extend the usage unreasonably.

2. That's real silly. Not even enough confidence to attribute the quality to actual mechanics or design of the game.

3. Really? Guess I won't be going to Russia then.

Generic4me

Oct 10, 2012
The "all bark no bite" thing that we gamers do. We're the first to ***** about how evil and horrible some new stupid feature/DRM/money grab is, but when it comes down to it, we'll never decide to wait it out and avoid whatever games contain said horrible things.

Also the mentality that gamers, for whatever reason, should be related in any way that isn't gaming. It's our freaking name, I don't see why anybody would want to discuss foreign politics or the effects of nuclear radiation on single-celled microanabacteria.

Oh, and casual gamers. Not really them, but attitudes a "too significant" amount of them take up. Those part of more mainstream cultures, whom will dismiss any video game that isn't CoD or Angry Birds as .

Not that casual gamers themselves are that bad, mostly just the unintended effects they have on the industry.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
SkarKrow said:
MysticSlayer said:
Children in multiplayer games. They're part of the reason why I hardly ever play online anymore. Too much yelling, misused swear words, and bigoted comments to handle. Not to mention, they often yell at you for "not playing the game right" when it really just means "I'm doing bad and need someone to blame! Wahhhhhhhh!" And then you get the adults that feel the need to act like children when dealing with those children...man, that might be even worse.

After that, it is really just people who absolutely refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with them and goes into personal attacks against those people. I like disagreements, even the more passioned fanboy-based vs. hater-based ones, as they can lead to some interesting discussions. The problem arises when someone is such a fanboy of a game/franchise or such a hater of a game/franchise that they refuse to listen and really just figuratively yell as loud as they can. All it really does is stifle any interesting discussion that can be had.
If it's FPS's use the mute button, or come play Bad Company 2 and play in a squad with only your friends to completely block their random bullshit.
I used to do that in FPS games (though I stuck with Battlefield 2 rather than switching over to BC2). Thing is, the genre sort of wore down on me (the major reason I stopped) to the point where my ritualistic "mute every person you come into contact with" became too much effort to go through. Then there were games like Halo where the childish antics didn't stop just because you muted them.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I hate everyone who complained about Wind Waker before and after it came out and killed any chance of a proper sequel. And I hate anyone at Nintendo who couldn't recognize they were on to something great and prove all those detractors wrong with by creating an even better sequel.

I hate gamers who go on about Nintendo rehashing the same franchises and can't appreciate that building the game from the ground up and filling it with innovations obviously too subtle for them to notice is not releasing the same game over and over again.

But most of all I hate everyone who did not support the Dreamcast at the time it was out. Those people changed the course of the game industry today, many of them through blind support for Sony and their PS2 which was unreleased and over-hyped at the time (and turned out to not live up to expectation). Is the Xbox One coming out because you didn't support the Dreamcast? I don't know. This a rant, pure speculation, and not to be taken too seriously.

I also dislike the lack of ability to have critical discussion about games without someone feeling attacked. The gaming community can turn in to one giant focus group that waters down any interesting innovation and is often unable to grasp and support the potential of a great idea that is not fully realized, over their let down expectations. I think this point is tied to all three above.

The Comedian

Dec 12, 2012
people that identify as hard core gamers.
we don't identify as hard core readers or hardcore movie watchers
calling yourself a hard core gamer is moronic.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'm personally getting sick of people throwing around buzz words as things that make a game instantly bad. "This game is brown!" "There's too many cut scenes!" "Its not interactive enough!" Sherkfan actually made a brilliant thread exemplifying the problem by saying Sonic 06 was better than Portal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.395876-Sonic-06-Objectively-Better-Than-Portal]

My number 1 would be the minority of pc gamers who just don't get the appeal consoles. I'm gonna tell you guys a story, I received a ticket at my job because someone's computer monitor because it was blank and was "making weird noises". I got there and talked to the girl with the problem and she showed me that holding multiple keys down on the keyboard makes a noise even though the monitor was off so I guess she didn't understand that monitor and the computer were 2 different things. I tilted my head and looked at the power strip under her desk. Yup. She kicked monitor's power cord out. She was 20 years old. PC's aren't for everyone

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
So, I've been playing a lot of SMITE lately, and one thing irks me more than anyother.
Everybody picks their favorite character, then just assumes that since i didn't immediately lock in, I should instantly be relegated to tank, because no one else ever wants to tank.
And then they yell at me for not tanking good enough, and i realize why i stopped playing league of legends, hell, might as well just say everything about the most vocal MOBA community can go suck eggs

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Guys that just wont shut the fuck up, especially if they're loud as well. Be it the guy who's talking to someone else in the room or one of those little shits who feels the need to respond to every little thing you say with an insult of one form or another. I know that in most games you can mute them, but the fact that they're being that obnoxious in the first place(whether intentionally or not) is just inexcusable.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I'm personally getting sick of people throwing around buzz words as things that make a game instantly bad. "This game is brown!" "There's too many cut scenes!" "Its not interactive enough!" Sherkfan actually made a brilliant thread exemplifying the problem by saying Sonic 06 was better than Portal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.395876-Sonic-06-Objectively-Better-Than-Portal]
Oh my God, why didn't I join Escapist sooner?! That thread is fucking brilliant.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
IllumInaTIma said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Oh my God, why didn't I join Escapist sooner?! That thread is fucking brilliant.
I will always cherish it. Especially Hazy992's comment:

I agree, I mean just take a look at the first fight with Silver which introduces a lot of deep philosophical concepts.

It's a metaphor to show that life isn't fair, and that you're always going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place (or in this case a Silver and a hard building). Sometimes you just to have to accept the futility of what's transpiring before you as no matter your actions 'IT'S NO USE!'
Damn it, now I need to read through the whole thread again!

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
MysticSlayer said:
Children in multiplayer games. They're part of the reason why I hardly ever play online anymore. Too much yelling, misused swear words, and bigoted comments to handle. Not to mention, they often yell at you for "not playing the game right" when it really just means "I'm doing bad and need someone to blame! Wahhhhhhhh!" And then you get the adults that feel the need to act like children when dealing with those children...man, that might be even worse.

After that, it is really just people who absolutely refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with them and goes into personal attacks against those people. I like disagreements, even the more passioned fanboy-based vs. hater-based ones, as they can lead to some interesting discussions. The problem arises when someone is such a fanboy of a game/franchise or such a hater of a game/franchise that they refuse to listen and really just figuratively yell as loud as they can. All it really does is stifle any interesting discussion that can be had.
Try kicking ass as one character in Mortal Kombat 9 on King of the Hill. I can name one moment when I found a room with people at the same skill level as me, only for a few won matches later, I get a message that read, "use someone else cock sucken horror." *****! No, no, I won't get mad. See this is just a way of saying, "stop kicking my ass." That shit don't work.