Let's rage about gamers

Spacemonkey430

Oct 8, 2012
I'm not a fan of any fanboys but in my experience people who are hardcore Darksouls fanboys are rude and snarky. I assert that I am not personally interested in a game that is supposed to be fun because it punishes you. Suddenly I'm a plebeian lame gamer who is too wimpy to handle Darksouls. Just one example of annoying fanboys. I do however enjoy my own games.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
IllumInaTIma said:
So, let's talk about things that drives us mad about gamers. Not games, but gamers. Maybe it's some little trait that you hate, maybe it's some particular group of fanboys that you dislike for one reason or another.
Note, I don't want to start a flame war, and I acknowledge that this is gonna be a really subjective and maybe unfair to someone topic.

So, let me start. RUSSIAN GAMERS. I fucking hate them! Seriously guys, you think that a couple of snarking PC-elitist assholes is bad, try Russian game forums. I find it hard to describe what exactly Russian gamers are like, so instead I'll just tell you about some common traits most of them share
1)Russian gamers have invented derogatory term "Кинцо" that could be approximately translated as "Movie-like". Basically, any game with a lack of gameplay gets branded as such. But, how little gameplay does game have to have to get that brand? Fucked if I know! Here's a little list of games that are considered being "Кинцо" among Russian gamers: Heavy Rain (ok, understandable), The Walking Dead, Uncharted series (apparently, because it has a lot of cutscenes, but not MGS4(!)), Bioshock: Infinite, Crysis. Can you see a pattern here, because I can fucking not!
2)"SOUL". "Soul" is another term being thrown around a lot among Russian gamers. Apparently, "Soul" is something that every old PC game had, and every modern game lacks. What exactly does "Soul" mean? Fucked if I know!
3)Being a console gamer is almost shameful. So, from point 1 you might think that Russian gamer would love Nintendo, right? The one game company whose games are driven almost exclusively on gameplay and innovation. Nope, because apparently Nintendo is a "bunch of cock suckers who make games for retarded children". Ok, then, what about Sony? "PS3 HAS NO GAEMS LOL! DRAKEFACE!". Now, I understand a reason why consoles might not be very popular in Russia, just google "Welcome to Russia, Where Most of Your Friends Are Video Game Pirates" if you want to find out, but I still find it hard to understand a reasoning behind such hostility.

I realize that all these points do not apply to all Russian gamers, but this is the general impression I got by interacting with them on major game forums.
You think that's bad go to the nearest military forum, and talk shit about the su-27, I dare you. Also foreigners are not that bad some mexicans I was playing with in mass effect 3 multplayer were very helio, and didn't leave even when their was a game stopper gitch, they were determined. Oh, and Nintendo is not looked at for innovation seeing how they betray their golden eye crowd with casual games, I would not blame the Russians the tiniest bit for that. As for Sony they have never played killzone or infamous, and allot do countries have a video game pirate crowd even in the United States I even know some people ( cant prove it, but I saw their weird looking libaray.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
SkarKrow said:
MysticSlayer said:
Children in multiplayer games. They're part of the reason why I hardly ever play online anymore. Too much yelling, misused swear words, and bigoted comments to handle. Not to mention, they often yell at you for "not playing the game right" when it really just means "I'm doing bad and need someone to blame! Wahhhhhhhh!" And then you get the adults that feel the need to act like children when dealing with those children...man, that might be even worse.

After that, it is really just people who absolutely refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with them and goes into personal attacks against those people. I like disagreements, even the more passioned fanboy-based vs. hater-based ones, as they can lead to some interesting discussions. The problem arises when someone is such a fanboy of a game/franchise or such a hater of a game/franchise that they refuse to listen and really just figuratively yell as loud as they can. All it really does is stifle any interesting discussion that can be had.
If it's FPS's use the mute button, or come play Bad Company 2 and play in a squad with only your friends to completely block their random bullshit.
I used to do that in FPS games (though I stuck with Battlefield 2 rather than switching over to BC2). Thing is, the genre sort of wore down on me (the major reason I stopped) to the point where my ritualistic "mute every person you come into contact with" became too much effort to go through. Then there were games like Halo where the childish antics didn't stop just because you muted them.
I liked that the voip was always limited to your squad in Battlefield, until 3, 3 can fuck off and die.

It's a peeve of mine if there's no mute all button in a game, and childish antics certainly do get frustrating, things like teabagging are just infantile.

Depulcator

Mar 5, 2012
Mine is specific to League of Legends. I cannot stand people who spam call their role and utterly suck at it. And then take the standard attitude of ITS EVERYONE ELSE'S FAULT BUT MINE!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i have one group of people MOBA players

i mean seriously if you dont do what they want at all times you might aswell be hitler.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
This doesn't necessarily apply solely to gamers, but I just can't stand fanboys who somehow manage to assume that fanboyism/unreasonable behavior applies to only themselves and nobody else. Speaking as someone who's gone from 360 to PS3, and dabbled in computer gameplay, I can safely say there are jerks in the Interwebs. Might be Sony jerks, might be Microsoft jerks, might be neutral jerks, but everyone has them, and everyone has fanboys. And yet there are people who have decided that their side simply can do no wrong, that everything it says or does is reasonable and right, and the opponent is where all the idiots lurk.

Then there was the denial. Before Microsoft reversed its decision, I was spending a lot of time on the Xbox forums; the atmosphere there was very hostile, with anyone expressing serious doubts or complaints about the policies basically being told 'Shut up, go away, future of gaming, yada yada.' The thing is, I knew that if Microsoft's policies were going to savagely, insanely cut down its potential install base, even if people hadn't been leaving in droves out of outrage alone. If these pompous idiots rambling about how Xbox One was going to 'Change gaming forever,' the console would launch with so few sales it wouldn't be able to do much of anything future-y. So I tried to convince them things were grim for the console, that every customer was needed.

Nope. Talking to a brick #*$&$% wall. I showed them a half dozen polls, showed them that the One trailed behind in every single pre-order market's overall 2013 sales (In the Amazon U.K. list, the PS4 was at slot four. The One was at slot SEVENTY.) I explained that they had taken a global market, shrunk it to twenty-one countries, shrunk it down to those with Internet access, shrunk it FURTHER to those with GOOD Internet access, and ticked off half of what was left. The company, the community, needed their money if the console was going to stay afloat. (Should mention, was only doing this because I didn't want Sony to get a monopoly; wouldn't want either company to have one.)

"Oh, Sony fanboys posted in that poll. Pffft, pre-orders mean nothing."

Now, I can understand that not everything on the Internet is true, and all things should be taken with a grain of salt, but when every poll in existence, every pre-order list, every scrap of evidence points to something, you'd have to be insanely self-absorbed not to examine the possibility.

One woman outright mocked me for 'wasting my time looking at stupid pre-orders.' This was the day before Microsoft reversed its policies. Boy, did I GLOAT at her after that happened.

Lygus

Apr 7, 2013
Another -1 to Russian gamers / modders: Because IP rights doesn't exist in their country(or countries), usually they rip-off loads of stuff for their own mods, use freely avaiable content by others without EVEN asking for their permission.

For instance, in many STALKER franchise mods, made by Russian (and probably - for Russians), you can Mass Effect, Crysis and other popular AAA titles content ripped off and added without any permission given. How awesome is that?

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
In all honestly I think you don't specifically hate Russian gamers, just a good portion of gamer culture in general.
As a Russian myself, you just haven't seen the Russian gaming community. It's literally 80% of all gamers that think this way, whereas everywhere else it's closer to 30-40% at best. I'm not joking. (Granted, I kinda like it that way. Always fun to see them rage and call back to the good old brutal days.)

At least the female Russian gamers are more open to new games, since their main interest is good storytelling and they don't mind cinematic experience. Bioware games are a hit due to these factors, with a couple others like DE:HR, Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite.

Personally, I don't hate any group of gamers. I wish there were less console gamers as a demographic, but not due to their personal qualities, but due to the games that flood the market. As people they are an alright bunch (just if only they could see the error of their ways, haha).

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
TehCookie said:
Okay, gamers need to stop bitching about everything and just have fun. So what if they like something you don't or hate something you don't? That shouldn't effect your enjoyment. Also stop complaining about games not made for you, games are diverse enough everyone can find something so stop whining because you don't like x and it won't change to your taste. Shut up and go enjoy y.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you personally. Your post has made my life better, and renewed a little faith in humanity. If only everyone thought like this, we wouldn't be constantly complaining about everything and just get on with the game. More often than not, that can be so much more a rewarding experience.

benvorbeck

Mar 18, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
1)Russian gamers have invented derogatory term "Кинцо" that could be approximately translated as "Movie-like". Basically, any game with a lack of gameplay gets branded as such. But, how little gameplay does game have to have to get that brand? Fucked if I know! Here's a little list of games that are considered being "Кинцо" among Russian gamers: Heavy Rain (ok, understandable), The Walking Dead, Uncharted series (apparently, because it has a lot of cutscenes, but not MGS4(!)), Bioshock: Infinite, Crysis. Can you see a pattern here, because I can fucking not!
I completely agree with the Russians on this. COMPLETELY. why do other Devs hav to make bigger better games with more content and playability and the games cost the same. naughty Dog will never see a cent from me.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
SeventhSigil said:
This doesn't necessarily apply solely to gamers, but I just can't stand fanboys who somehow manage to assume that fanboyism/unreasonable behavior applies to only themselves and nobody else. Speaking as someone who's gone from 360 to PS3, and dabbled in computer gameplay, I can safely say there are jerks in the Interwebs. Might be Sony jerks, might be Microsoft jerks, might be neutral jerks, but everyone has them, and everyone has fanboys. And yet there are people who have decided that their side simply can do no wrong, that everything it says or does is reasonable and right, and the opponent is where all the idiots lurk.

Then there was the denial. Before Microsoft reversed its decision, I was spending a lot of time on the Xbox forums; the atmosphere there was very hostile, with anyone expressing serious doubts or complaints about the policies basically being told 'Shut up, go away, future of gaming, yada yada.' The thing is, I knew that if Microsoft's policies were going to savagely, insanely cut down its potential install base, even if people hadn't been leaving in droves out of outrage alone. If these pompous idiots rambling about how Xbox One was going to 'Change gaming forever,' the console would launch with so few sales it wouldn't be able to do much of anything future-y. So I tried to convince them things were grim for the console, that every customer was needed.

Nope. Talking to a brick #*$&$% wall. I showed them a half dozen polls, showed them that the One trailed behind in every single pre-order market's overall 2013 sales (In the Amazon U.K. list, the PS4 was at slot four. The One was at slot SEVENTY.) I explained that they had taken a global market, shrunk it to twenty-one countries, shrunk it down to those with Internet access, shrunk it FURTHER to those with GOOD Internet access, and ticked off half of what was left. The company, the community, needed their money if the console was going to stay afloat. (Should mention, was only doing this because I didn't want Sony to get a monopoly; wouldn't want either company to have one.)

"Oh, Sony fanboys posted in that poll. Pffft, pre-orders mean nothing."

Now, I can understand that not everything on the Internet is true, and all things should be taken with a grain of salt, but when every poll in existence, every pre-order list, every scrap of evidence points to something, you'd have to be insanely self-absorbed not to examine the possibility.

One woman outright mocked me for 'wasting my time looking at stupid pre-orders.' This was the day before Microsoft reversed its policies. Boy, did I GLOAT at her after that happened.
Your experience with that gaming forum sounds uncannily like dealing with religious fundamentalists or climate change deniers.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Lessee...

Fighting game fans: What's that? I didn't play street fighter back in a arcade in the 90's so now I can't ask for help? Fuck off. I can live without needing to know how to do a 250 button finger dance just to shoot a fireball.

Monster Hunter fans. See above. You think your MOBA's are bad? MH fans takes that attitude to a whole new level. And it seems I'm not the only one, I've met people on Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok Odyssey and Gods Eater who refuse to play MH for the same reason.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Tryhard gankers in Dark Souls. Now I've run into some awesome gankers too, I had one amazing match where I ran into three people cospvping as three of Gwyn's four knights (Ornstein, Artorias, Ciaran, if anybody cares) and you could tell they were having lots of fun and using the ineffective (but insanely cool) special attacks, the diversity in play styles was a blast to fight against. No, those guys were awesome, I'm talking about try hard giant dads who use the hornet ring and zaphanders. Fuck those guys, is it really that fun just pressing R1 over and over?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I suppose I'm not really filled with rage against gamers. If anything I'm just annoyed at people who think they know better than you. Like when I first bought a Sega Genesis, an idiot roommate of mine tried to sound superior and enlightened when he asked (with a patronizing tone):
"You understand that you just bought a dedicated video game machine, right?"
My only response was, "Yeah. And?" Soon after, he went on to dump a huge sum of money on a Mac (this was back in 1995!) and proceeded to play the demo of Marathon on it, non-stop. I suspect he spent around $2,000 versus my ~$100 Genesis.

Later on a different friend mocked me for buying a PS2. He asked me (again, in a patronizing tone) "If you wanted a DVD player you know you can get them for cheaper, right?" This time I responded with logic: "Yeah, I know I can get a DVD player for $100 less, but that's not the point. The point is the format. Now I can access games with DVDs, which have over 4 gigs of storage capacity, plus a PC would be cost prohibitive right now." At the time, that was true.

Later on, a different friend mocked me for buying a PS3 (I did eventually get a 360) and he said how much better the 360 was for online. I pointed out to him that the PS3 had network connectivity out of the box, while he had to purchase the wireless adapter separately. Then he said how much better Xbox Live Gold was and I responded that I don't care for online games since (at the time) they were all basically online shooters and football. Not my thing. Then he said that 360 had more exclusives and I pointed out that a great deal of the 360 exclusives were also available on PC. He refused to accept the fact that if a game were also available on PC that it's not an exclusive.

In retrospect, none of these discussions I've had with friends in the past really matter. People will buy whatever they want for their own reasons. It's just that they 1.) Didn't understand that I had weighed the pros and cons and, 2.) Didn't understand the fact that I just love games and was going to try and buy every system eventually. I was going to try and have it all.

I now have a PS3, 360, PS1, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, original Xbox and a Wii. Soon I'll have a PS4, and eventually I'll get an Xbox One (only because they dropped the online requirement). But in the meantime, I'll have to bear hearing the fuss over why I made the "wrong decision", yadda yadda. I guess my friends just wanted me to be like them, they just wanted me to further enmesh myself with their decisions, to "join their club" if you will. I don't have to join a club to feel warranted in my decisions. I don't want to fit in. I just want to play games. Nobody seems to understand that.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Console wars. If you're over the age of 15 and have to rant at me how your choice of gaming system is the best I won't listen to a word you say. Telling people they're wrong for not liking what you like makes you look like a twat and you should probably think before you open your mouth.

Those who think less of you because your favourite game isn't something that features a roided up, masculine skull bashing man as the main character.

Also people who say "Of course you love Kingdom Hearts, you're just a girl after all..." ;_;

Winji

Feb 11, 2012
I also have some slight problems with Russians in gaming. Everytime I play L4D2 the Russian players seem to refuse to comprehend the possibility of people form other countries aswell and instead treat you like you are from Russia aswell. Is it really that hard to ask the country of your fellow players?

And hackers... This is most likely problem with everyone ofcourse, but I simply can't understand what's the point of playing games when there is literally no challenge? Dark Souls is riddled with hackers and the only thing that can kill them is fall damage. Like a leper said to his mistress "Where's the bloody point?" (-Yahtzee) and now that I got to Dark Souls... Stop calling it a hard game.
Also oddly especially with War Z (Now known as Infestation: Survivor stories) most of the hackers are also Russians... =I

Hardcore elitists are another one... For example I have a friend who is ridiculously good in pretty much every game we play together and expects the same level of skills from everyone else. I don't have those skills so it can get little tedious when playing with him =D But that's only my most prominent memory of hardcore elitists because of how often I play with him.

Also I have one really weird problem that makes literally no sense and that is gamers in Multiplayer games who are much better than I am. There is a reason why I don't like playing MP games and that's because I get no enjoyement from being curbstomped by so much more skilled players wich I don't have any chance against. This is in all honesty more of annoyance against games not having somekind of system to reduce those Prestige 10 from coming to murder my starter arse than gamers themselves =P

In the end I would like to point out that I have absolutely nothing against Russians in general, but only in gaming community and even there I understand that not every Russian is like that.
Also only hackers are an annoyance that I get even remotely upset with =)

Edit: Oh and the hatred towards MGS4... That's something that I never really understood =I

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
So Russians have good taste in games?
I didn't know, I tend to avoid them because of the manner in which they behave.

harryhenry

Jun 28, 2012
Ok, i've waited for a thread like this for awhile, so hear it goes... ahem. the kind of gamers who hate people who play on any difficulty that isn't hard mode. the reason why i hate these kinds of people is because they're such elitists! and they call people who don't play on hard mode "Pussies" "Faggots" "Stupid casuals" and "not true gamers"! listen, not everyone wants to play on hard mode, ok? are people like me (who plays almost every game on the easist mode) not "true" gamers? is anyone else bothered by these kinds of people?

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
People who get mad at PuG's. My friend belongs to this group. He is a legitimately good player so I don't mind when he blames everyone but himself, it's just that I wish he would accept that when given a random hand of teammates, some of them are going to work poorly together. It doesn't even have to mean half the players are derp-eyed morons who like to ruin fun. Just move on and hope next game goes better.

Aug 19, 2010
I hate it when people assume i'm an elitist with a god complex just because I play on PC. Not all of us are assholes, just some. Quite a few of us are quite alright, actually, but apparently if I use a keyboard i'm immediately a ****. Generalization, yay!

Also, as many have said, blind fanboys. The worst kind are the ones that kind of try to be "intelligent" about it. When I expressed my opinions on the xbox one on a forum, I got a comment where in the same paragraph, the guy stated that it will obviously be a great console, and 2 sentences later said that no-one should pass judgement over it before they tried it themselves.
The fuck?