Lets talk about Girls that play video games

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Lumber Barber said:
Girls should not play video games.
Women should.
Errr, what?

Would you argue then that boys shouldn't play video games, men should? And of course the other question arises of where exactly you mark the difference. Also, why shouldn't girls play video games? I started playing games when I was 4, absolutely loved it. There's a reason I'm here right now.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
hooksashands said:
I used to hide too.
I'd gotten the idea from when I had used my sister's account for something, her account at the time was something like `PeteRocks` (after some singer), but people assumed that my name was Pete. And it was so much easier.
So from then on I rolled male characters and `was` male.
I stayed that way for a few years, until I got pissed off about the stuff I was hearing online about girls so I ended up rerolling everything and being a girl. I thought the stuff I was hearing was being said out of ignorance, and if nobody knows a girl who games (cause we're all hiding), how could it change?

That's why I know there are more girl gamers than people realise.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
cthulhuspawn82 said:
One cant help but be jealous of "nerd girls". Even if they aren't attractive, all they have to do is walk into a comic shop of a gaming place and every guy gets on his knees for them because they are so female starved. Why inst there a female equivalent of the comic shop, where any guy can walk in and have all the girls fighting over him?
Because in reality women have the vast majority of the choice regarding who they have relationships with. The truth (that you will not see admitted to in any women's magazines, because it would destroy their profitability) is that all most of them have to do in order to find a partner is walk up to him and ask.

Men on the other hand actually have to compete.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Alandoril said:
cthulhuspawn82 said:
One cant help but be jealous of "nerd girls". Even if they aren't attractive, all they have to do is walk into a comic shop of a gaming place and every guy gets on his knees for them because they are so female starved. Why inst there a female equivalent of the comic shop, where any guy can walk in and have all the girls fighting over him?
Because in reality women have the vast majority of the choice regarding who they have relationships with. The truth (that you will not see admitted to in any women's magazines, because it would destroy their profitability) is that all most of them have to do in order to find a partner is walk up to him and ask.

If you go through life thinking all ladies are a 10.
They're not. We can't `just ask`*, if we could I'd have had more boyfriends, trust me.
Honestly, it's not like dudes are just throwing themselves at all girls all the time. That's dumb.

Besides, you dont get guys fawn over you when you walk into a comic or game shop, you get stared/glared at like you just walked in on someone having a wank.
Oh, a dude in a game shop tried to look down my shirt when I was preordering Halo 3, so... yeah. Aren't ladies so lucky.

*Obviously, asking improves your chances, but you wont get a yes all the time. Do you know how me and boyfriend got together? He asked.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
My wife is a girl who also happens to be a gamer.

She gets attention due to her breasts ... but only from me ... because I like her breasts ... and i'm a perv.

Sad to admit that she's also better than me at some games .... except SF2 which she has never beat me on .... or Gran Turismo 3. But I can't seem to beat her at any other racing game or sodding sports games.
This person and I have the same thing going on. Just change SF2 and Gran Turismo 3 to first person shooters, and then change "racing game" and "sports games" to "Guitar Hero", "Dance Dance Revolution" and Mass Effect.

She REALLY loves her some Mass Effect. I'm pretty sure she's on her 3rd playthrough now. It's always Garrus this and Kaidan that. Watching her play as a Vanguard in ME3 multiplayer is beautiful, in a way. It's almost balletic, watching her warp from enemy to enemy, detonating her shields and then warping again to get them back. Now that she's level 20, I haven't seen anyone play with us who has been able to keep up with her.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Alandoril said:
cthulhuspawn82 said:

I don't belive dating, relationships and men are ever that simple

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I'm a rather good gamer, and although I don't like flouncing my sex I do like people knowing that I'm female, primarily because that's a big part of who I am and don't like being presumptuously viewed as a man. However, I do go out of my way to reject any attempts by guys to provide favors (eg I've turned down game subscription offers and in-game items that were offered to my gender rather than me). That being said I do get a lot less 'flak' when I mess up, but that's also because I'm a pretty good player anyway (I'm talking WoW here), often topping the damage charts within my group. And although I like getting less flak, I get an equal amount of abuse and sexist jokes for being female and so it balances out, but I would rather just be treated as a normal player rather than 'Omg boobs if I'm nice she might send me photos' or 'Omg girl player get back in the kitchen lololol'. I like the guys who, when they hear my clearly feminine voice say 'Oh you're a girl? Cool, just keep the dps up', they're the best kind of Guy Gamers ;)

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Torrasque said:
The other officers didn't object because they didn't like her gear and skill set up, but I still find it funny that the 2 girls (which you'd think would want another girl in a male saturated game) didn't want anything to deal with her.
Not so surprising. Humans are territorial beings. Your two female officers didn't want another woman in their stable of men. You are their property in a way.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
tehroc said:
Torrasque said:
The other officers didn't object because they didn't like her gear and skill set up, but I still find it funny that the 2 girls (which you'd think would want another girl in a male saturated game) didn't want anything to deal with her.
Not so surprising. Humans are territorial beings. Your two female officers didn't want another woman in their stable of men. You are their property in a way.
Pfffffffff
Stable of men??
Really, are you trying to say we all want to own people?
My guild on WoW was full of men and women and we all managed not to have a shit-fit about it.
I've been an officer in more than one guild and never have I felt that my guildies were my property. That's just silly.

And really, if you read the entire context, sounds more like they rejected the other girl because she was trying to use her gender as an excuse. And that pisses everyone off.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I HAVE A DREAM
A dream where girl gamers are judged by the quality of their skills
and not the size of their breasts
I have a dream, today
that one day, girls and guys can play video games together
without girls being told to make men a sammich
and having to hide their gender to prevent such abuse
I have a dream, that one day
threads like these won't reach past 2 replies
because everyone will quickly decide
just how silly the whole debate is

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm playing a video game right now on a top end PC. I have makeup on and plucked eyebrows.

My evil know no bounds MUAHAHAHUEHUEHUE!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
"There are no girls on the internet."

This phrase gets misunderstood more often than not, even by people who use it.
It means that the benefits of being a girl, meaning having swarms of desperate guys craving for your affections, no longer apply, as you're just text like everyone else. Everyone's equal online.

Girls play games. So do I.
Big fucking deal.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
If someone identifies himself as a girl gamer then I take him as seriously as the Russian Bigfoot.

Xixikal

Apr 6, 2011
People want attention. When a guy wants it he puts something about being a super good sniper in whatever game he plays, if a girl does, she mentions her gender.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I usually play as male. Life is simpler that way.
But in no way do I think that this is specific in the gaming world.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
BWAHAHA!!

The crazy people are starting to come out and say such bizarre things! X'D

tehroc said:
Torrasque said:
^ This one. I like this one! :D

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Regarding the linked video and the top comment (and just as a disclaimer, I have never seen this channel before, so if I don't quite get the full picture I apologise).

But this person at no point in the video, or video description/channel description/tags mention that she is specifically a "girl gamer". How is this the video creators fault? She seems to me as someone who just simply loves playing games, and knows her stuff as well. It's not her fault that thousands of guys are attracted to her videos because she is a girl.

It appears to me that you are oblivious to the hundreds of male gamers who make videos exactly the same as this, and looking at the stuff you've linked it seems weird as to why this thread even exists. All this hate towards this person is unjustified in my opinion :/

Oh... glancing through previous comments it seems like my point has already been voiced by many others, so it turns out this comment is pretty much useless :)