Let's talk about the Cowboy Bebop live action some more

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Has there ever been a live action anime adaptation that didn't look like grown people playing dress up?
Not an adaptation, but The Matrix certainly adapted a lot of iconic imagery from anime, and that movie is really good. Scott Pilgrim similarly. And while I wouldn't call that movie good, it's visually pretty impeccable.

So, live-action anime can be done, but as soon as it's an adapation from an already existing animated property (one that has set a very high standard) you're going to lock yourself into its iconography, but with a medium that is far less capable at replicating that style. It's just such an uphill battle that even Disney with it's billions of dollars can't succeed in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's just such an uphill battle that even Disney with it's billions of dollars can't succeed in.
Alita replicated just fine, and that was done by Robert Rodriguez on an expensive, but lower budget compared to most of Disney's usual outputs. This stings all the more, because Disney bought Fox, and sees no investment with Alita. Despite the fan base that has built up, and the company can more than afford it.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The reviews are flowing in for the show, currently ranging from "when am I getting paid for this review?" to an animated gif of blowing a sad raspberry

Alas the $25 that Netflix apparently budgeted for each of the show’s 10 episodes isn’t enough to make a convincing interstellar epic. - indiewire
I think thats a typo but I laughed.

Netflix’s take on the show has a love-hate relationship with its source material, retaining the premise and almost every single character from the original and recreating and referencing memorable shots and scenes, but adding original elements like comically trite dialogue, embarrassing dramatic turns, and an original and unengaging plotline that only pull focus from the core story it’s trying to adapt. - Slate
I have only seen clips of Cowboy Bebop, the late-Nineties Japanese series that introduced a generation of Western viewers to the world of anime. So I can’t speak to how faithful or satisfying fans of the original will find its Netflix live-action remake. - Rolling Stone
Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop feels like the first live-action adaptation I’ve seen from an American production company that not only loves the source material but does everything it can to bring the details of the anime to life. - IGN

Idk, if I'm not busy this weekend I'll check it out because it's free, but I have a feeling my weeboo incel fanboy obsession with the original is likely going to bar me from sticking with it through a whole episode before shutting it off in rage. I wont spoil it but apparently a lot of things have been...cut.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

A waste. If you weren't gonna have her compose new music, why did you even hire her? Could've just used the old soundtrack then.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Update: The DT guys like it, but they can't recommend it to a lot of people. They know this show is going to be a cult following. For casual viewers it's a Rental, but for the hardcore viewers or those interested: Matinee.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I made it an episode and a half in. They decided to rewrite history in for several characters effectively making them worse. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but if you're expecting anything faithful to the show, this is not. Definitely its own thing and I can't escape everything that's just plain better in the original. I think I could have enjoyed it if they just did a new show, but this is just subpar vapid fanfic.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, I decided to give this show a shot, and the very first episode opens with a remake of that convenience store robbery from the movie, complete with old granny, "goddamn cowboy", Jet dropping out of the ceiling (not even a drop ceiling like the movie here, he just explodes through the ceiling), and guy that was in the bathroom during the fight scene. And just to hammer home their remake's origins, they play What Planet is This over the whole scene too.

I'm less than 10 minutes in and already feel like heading for the door. I'll see how long I can make it through, but if it really is just going to be redoing moments from the show/movie, but worse, then this is going to be a slog.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Update, the DT guys like it, but they can't recommend it for a lot of people. They know this show is going to be a cult following. For casual viewer it's a Rental, but for the hardcore viewer or those interested: Matinee.
Considering the show is on Netflix, that recommendation is pretty worthless. Not that their opinion is without merit but if you have Netflix then you have the remake of Bebop and the act of watching it is entirely up to you: money spent regardless.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Considering the show is on Netflix, that recommendation is pretty worthless. Not that their opinion is without merit but if you have Netflix then you have the remake of Bebop and the act of watching it is entirely up to you: money spent regardless.
Their rating system is mainly meant for going to the theater. so that don't have much else to work with in terms of ratings. They don't like nor use the traditional number/grade score. If you have been around these guys since 2007 (when they were called Spill.com) or 2014 (when they revitlized under the DT show you see now), you get where they're coming from. Plus, their own rating scale has been Korey and Marin's gimmick from the very beginning. Your point still stands.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

That was painful. I feel bad for the actress. Gonna be more hated than Jake Lloyd by the fans.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

That was painful. I feel bad for the actress. Gonna be more hated than Jake Lloyd by the fans.
It's a them so I think we're supposed to say actor. I think. This is a very important distinction according to Netflix.

I didn't end up watching the full show, but I heard Ed was in it so I skipped to that scene. I don't remember much because I immediately stuck pencils in my ears and clawed out my eyes after seeing it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
It's a them so I think we're supposed to say actor. I think. This is a very important distinction according to Netflix.
But the media calls all actresses actors these days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Oh God that's annoying.

Ed in the anime walked the line between adorable and obnoxious. This version is way over on the obnoxious side. She reminds me of my kid in some ways, but my kid has the excuse of being 4 years old and it's a lot cuter in a 4 year old then a 13 year old(?).

Last edited: