Let's talk about weather

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Alright, it's damn cold outside, and like a true canadian the only other subject of talk we have beside hockey is the weather.

Right now it's -30c outside (-22 for you fahrenheit users) and it's pretty windy, so we have a Wind chill factor of -42c (-43.6 f).

a week ago we had a +10c (50f). i like winter !

So what about you guys, how is the weather where you live in january ?

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
that makes me sad and realize how much of a whimp I am with weather...

here (currently) at 6:30ish in the morning it is..4c outside...(yes 4c..not -4c..) and I must say...the portal to hell could open in my apartment at the current time...and I still wouldnt go outside haha.

Regarding your weather...just..yeah, no comment haha, as stated above, hell itself.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Can't feel temperature, so I really don't have any ability to judge. It's 36°F in Florida, for whatever that means.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
TopazFusion said:
cathou said:
Roasting.

Most days get close to 30[sup]o[/sup]C, and it doesn't fall below 20[sup]o[/sup]C at night.
since in australia it's summer, does it get colder in july ?

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
It is about 9°C (49°F) here at the moment. I live in Wales and lately there hasn't been much snow, just lots and lots of rain. Some parts of the country have had snow but not here.

I have a bunch of Canadian friends and they've all said that the weather is brutal. They live in Ottawa and Calgary. It's moderately cold most of the time but every now and then there's a severe dip that catches everyone by surprise. For contrast, here in Wales it rarely goes below freezing.

Oct 10, 2011
It's pretty cold for where I live in California right now... which means it drops below 32°F (0°C) in the middle of the night sometimes.

Cold for where I live, but not cold for me. I'm comfortable wearing shorts in these temperatures. Although I completely melt in the summer...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Holy fuck! -30 degrees? Celsius? Here in Southwest Sweden it's 6 degrees in the daytime.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
North West England seems to fluctuate between -5C and 10C in the day, and it usually drops to between 0-4C at night. It's cloudy as hell outside permanently and sometimes wind blows in.

All I can say is thank Christ for that. This autumn was so mild it was beginning to become irritating given that last spring and summer were actually reasonably hot. I'm not sure if I have the stones to live in the Canadian tundra or the Scandinavian countries during winter, but I appreciate the world looking gloomy with a nice bit of cold to pass through.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
In Ireland, the weather fluctuates from mild to fierce mild.

Between 5 and 10 degrees, chances of rain, usual dreary January weather.

It's all very dull.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I should had expected it since at the moment, it is alot colder than it was last December and which is kind of normal every year. At this point the season shouldn't be called Spring. Hopefully this time round, the temperature should rise at least before May when the local fair arrived (it was very cold last year but the year before that it was hot).

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
It's a very damp and bone chilling -15C in Eastern Canada right now. It was mostly above freezing all December and then like a light switch it got cold starting New Years. Not much snow yet but in this city that means nothing, we got our own micro climate here that seems to routinely dodge the worst of the winter. That also means that hardly anyone knows how to drive in snow or even operate a plow properly.

Oct 2, 2012
In my little slice of the US it dropped to around -15 F (around -26 C) at the lowest.
Most of the night maintained an alright -10 F (-23 C) though.
Edit: Those numbers are both accounting for wind chill.

I work outside.
Work sucked this night lol.

But I wouldn't have it any other way!

I fuckin hate the heat.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
username sucks said:
It's pretty cold for where I live in California right now... which means it drops below 32°F (0°C) in the middle of the night sometimes.

Cold for where I live, but not cold for me. I'm comfortable wearing shorts in these temperatures. Although I completely melt in the summer...
What part of Cali are you from?
I only moved here a few weeks ago, Its gunna take me some time to get used to blue skies and sunshine in December/January!

Today it topped 25 degrees, I took great great pleasure in posting a photo of a solitary cloud over the beach I was at on Palm to facebook, with the caption "it's really cloudy today :("
I hope my friends back home get the joke.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
According to the weather app on my phone, it's currently 11 C and "mostly cloudy".

It's freezing and pissing it down.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It's about 10C and raining down here in Ghent, Belgium.

Aka, regular winter weather. I don't mind it as I have to stay inside anyway. Saves on heating costs too, though I never turn my heater up very high anyway even when it starts freezing. And I still wear shorts and t-shirts inside, sometimes even with the windows open.

What can I say, I'm a regular old Stark. Or maybe even a wight. Cold ain't got nuffin' on me. Though the current North American weather would be a little much even for me.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Another Australian, and boy, do we have some weather.

Today it hit around 34C. Even as I speak at 8pm, it is still around 28C.
So basically, in Australia's summer, we go above and beyond 30C.

... and when it hits 40C and over.
Boy, you feel like you can cut the humidity with your nipples!

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
cathou said:
Alright, it's damn cold outside, and like a true canadian the only other subject of talk we have beside hockey is the weather.

Right now it's -30c outside (-22 for you fahrenheit users) and it's pretty windy, so we have a Wind chill factor of -42c (-43.6 f).

Hello from Brisbane, Queensland

It's summer over here so average temp. right now is 30C/86F during the day with humidity ranging from 86% to " Don't forget your flippers and snorkel!" So basically we're about as hot and steamy as Jenna Haze and Sasha Grey right now. Temperature does cut away at night but if there was cloud cover during the day and no rain the humidity stays the same making everything muggy and clammy.

Summer for us is also the rain season, or more accurately STORM season. So far this summer the damage bill from storms in Queensland is ranging in the hundreds of millions of dollars - mostly from hail damage. We've had some flash flooding but nothing like a few years back when the Brisbane river broke it's banks. Fun times let me tell you.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
cathou said:

Well, speaking as a Pittsburgher that gets YOUR DAMN COLD FRONTS, It approaches and sometimes reaches Zero Fahrenheit with a wind chill factor bringing it lower. I'm only marginally better off by being more south.