Life experences you found over hyped

Frozen Fox

Mar 23, 2012
Today I had a discussion with my friends and it got to us saying what we considered some of the best time of our past. By far the largest answer was getting to drive. I found this very odd when i got to drive i was like awesome now i have to buy a car and pay lost of money to so to places I could already go to.

Perhaps it was just knowing/being able to use public transit systems but to me driving was just sort of meh. Any other people have experiences like this

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
attutude is a very important thing...and can dictate how you experience certain things

for me I was told that highschool would be "the best time of my life" *snnrrrk* yeah right..fucking liars

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Vault101 said:
attutude is a very important thing...and can dictate how you experience certain things

for me I was told that highschool would be "the best time of my life" *snnrrrk* yeah right..fucking liars
Eyup, all the propaganda saying Highschool is the shit, I went through it bored. Of course, it's probably cause I'm an introvert, so all of the partying and stuff that's supposed to be part of paradise is just a nuisance to me. So yeah, I agree with Vault.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Eyup, all the propaganda saying Highschool is the shit, I went through it bored. Of course, it's probably cause I'm an introvert, so all of the partying and stuff that's supposed to be part of paradise is just a nuisance to me. So yeah, I agree with Vault.
oh and movies set around "highschool" what the fuck is up with that? do I seriously give a shit about some teenage shitheads doing teenage shithead things? or the "frat" genre of movies..just as bad...gaaah *incomprehensible rage*

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Vault101 said:
oh and movies set around "highschool" what the fuck is up with that? do I seriously give a shit about some teenage shitheads doing teenage shithead things? or the "frat" genre of movies..just as bad...gaaah *incomprehensible rage*
I know... as a current college student, I'm surrounded by these "frat" types, and frankly, it irks me. No, I do NOT want to hear you messing with a duck call at 3 AM. That, and the amount of bad music coming through my walls is saddening. Luckily, I can blast music loudly enough that I don't hear it.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Heh, that makes me think of the fact that I'm such a horrible introvert in university... I have made no new friends there, just a few acquaintances. And very few at that, not as if I even know them very well outside of class. The one I know best is because we both transferred from the same community college and have the same major. And I have done no partying at all, yet university is supposed to have parties or something, right? I think it's the fact I don't talk to anyone or try to...
Oh I've never tried to make friends, I usually either make them or don't. People seem to avoid me for some reason, one gal in highschool said I was intimidating or something, never got a clearer answer. Right now I can guess why, I'm looking a bit gaunt in the face and probably have aggressive body language. The bright side is no one messes with me. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to people that haven't seen me, but have seen the gps cord in my truck.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Vault101 said:
I know... as a current college student, I'm surrounded by these "frat" types, and frankly, it irks me. No, I do NOT want to hear you messing with a duck call at 3 AM. That, and the amount of bad music coming through my walls is saddening. Luckily, I can blast music loudly enough that I don't hear it.
I would have hopes the "frat" thing was just a myth, this thing they call the "frat boy" sounds like the most horrible creature ever

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Vault101 said:

They're not all bad. Some of them are quite good.

I was more terrified of driving than anything, for about two weeks or so. After that it became routine. I'm curious as to where the OP lives that actually has generally useful public transit.

Coming out maybe? I naively thought that it might change a lot. Didn't really change anything other than my stress levels.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
overpuce said:
Vault101 said:
I would have hopes the "frat" thing was just a myth, this thing they call the "frat boy" sounds like the most horrible creature ever
Ummm. I was in a fraternity... a social fraternity at that. I am a horrible horrible creature *Hangs head in shame*

There are also fraternities/sororities that are focused on careers and community service but the social ones are the ones that everyone thinks about.
to be fair Im only going off what Ive seen in American Media

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
It's a weird conundrum for me. If I don't know someone a bit already, then I have no interest in knowing them better. But how do I get to know them better if I don't try? Circumstances have to make me get to know them better. Like team projects. Or online on forums I can see them and then know if I want to know them. Offline... I just ignore those strangers .__.

I don't think I come off as scary or something. Maybe weird. But it probably has to do with not trying to know anyone better. I guess... I kind of avoid everyone else.
Eyup, I can understand that well enough. I've moved around often enough that it got to the point where I never bothered because I generally never saw them again anyway. There's two exceptions, ones from my home town and the other was from a place I'd visited twice. We both also played tons of online games, so that was another way to keep in touch.
Vault101 said:
Nope, not really a myth. It's not helped by the fact I'm at probably the cheapest college in the state. Moving and a stint of homeschooling really fucked with my GPA, and in Oklahoma, if you have a "pass" for a subject, for your GPA it's basically considered a C, so all I really had was my ACT, which was respectable, but not genius levels. It's amazing though, there are people here who drive cars that are more expensive to upkeep than it takes to go to this bloody college....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
Vault101 said:

If you have the right friends High School is one of the best times of your life, I've been off for 8 months and I miss it every day.

OT: Drinking I suppose, I enjoy it as much as the next guy but I don't plan my nights out as a series of places I can get as drunk as possible for no reason.
I dont miss having no freedom. no money, no indepeandance, always having somthing to stress about

granted my situation is probably better than alot of people (pure luck, I dont deny that)
and I guess it says alot because all that social bullshit was enough to drive me to a nervous breakdown

now I just say "fuck it" who needs "freinds" anyway..

Wyld Fyre

Jul 9, 2011
Things that are "Meh..." IMHO: Graduating, Prom, Drinking, joining a fraternity, buying your first gun, joining the armed forces (the Navy on many levels was a let down but still one the best choices I made with my life)

Things that are equal to or greater then the hype: The Nürburgring, if you ever get a chance drive it, better yet pay a driver to take you around very fast.

Also as an adult looking back at all the little things that meant so so much as a child/teen/20something ect, and going "Meh..." that is a great moment.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
drugs and drinking, although I did find them very enjoyable I didn't have the sensation of "passing into manhood" as I was told I would.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I was deeply dissapointed by the first blowjob I got. I had it all built up in my mind to be this wonderful feeling of sensual bliss.

Turned out to be very boring.