Life experences you found over hyped

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Vault101 said:
MorganL4 said:
Vault101 said:
attutude is a very important thing...and can dictate how you experience certain things

for me I was told that highschool would be "the best time of my life" *snnrrrk* yeah right..fucking liars
Yeah, I got told the same thing, it wasn't bad... I didn't get bullied or anything, in fact I don't think anyone at my school got bullied, I mean the football team was crap so they couldn't laud superiority over the geeks in the band who got to play at the Olympics and NFL football games. And a gay band geek/cheerleader was homecoming king my sophomore year. But despite the overwhelming acceptance of everyone that existed at my school I would hardly say it was the best time of my life, I basically was bored most of the time, which is why I spent my senior year at a community college.
yeah. my highschool experience was neither great or terrible...it just was

though I can think of 2 phases I had

first highschool we were a small comunity (there since day one) so our year was a reasonable sized but close knit groupe of freinds, everything was simple, go to school, hang out (I may be Idealising it now though..I probably am)

phase 2 when I went to a bigger school in the city, I had to deal with making freinds and the added preasure of actual schoolwork and "what do you want to do after school?" which was now a looming event

and then I seriously wished I could have just gone back to when things were "simple" which they were simpler, less stress, but not without issue (like the amount of shitheads that really belonged anywhere BUT school...at least in the private systm they weed them out and put them where they shoudl be)

anyway I guess my point is...can somthing really be considered the "best time of your life" when you actually didnt think it was that great at the time? as they say heindsight is 20/20
It is worth remembering that people who talk about childhood as being the "best time" are old. The thing about the past, the thing you must always remember about the past, is that it was really, really, really, really, shit and awful.

Seriously. People only started crapping inside 60 or so years ago.

There was no free love, no escapism or mass communication. There weren't even the basic labour saving devices we take for granted like washing machines or egg timers. There was just drudgery. Never ending drudgery. And despair.

Against that staring out the window and thinking about sailing around a pond in a little boat was probably much better, even if it was a lie.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Prom, easily. I spent like $200 when all was said and done just to go to the damned Dana Point Ocean Institute and listen to awful music. Highlights include getting caricatures drawn of me and my date, playing Guitar Hero on uncalibrated guitars, and not fucking dancing.

Seriously, the dance floor was MAYBE 20x20 feet in a small, enclosed room. Walking in there was walking into a sauna of sweaty teenagers who were all grinding against each other disgustingly... And I'm no prude. Sex is awesome. I had already been having sex regularly with my girlfriend long before prom... In goddamn private. We didn't need to rub up against a bunch of other people in a sweaty room with shitty music to get in the mood.

Then we went with some of our friends to Denny's and THAT was the highlight of the night.

WiccaVamp

Jun 26, 2009
For me I'd say Drinking, I used to do it for the wrong reasons and most of the time even socially didn't get the point of it.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
Clubbing.

I'm 21 (legal at 18 here in Australia) and have had enough experience to know that its never going to be for me. The whole experience is annoying to put it simply, even setting aside the fact that I don't like crowds in general.

Any appeal in it is just fantasy (unless you're a rockstar or something).

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
someonehairy-ish said:
Dolphins.

Fuck dolphins. I got cock blocked by a dolphin.
No, really. I was on a cruise, family were with me, I had a date lined up with someone on the ship. Family are like 'oh there's a dolphin show on, come with us.' I say no, obviously. And they have a massive go about me not spending enough time with them on the holiday. No shit, there were people my age on the ship.
In the end I had to cancel the date.

That's why fuck dolphins.
Dolphins suck, they're rapist murderers who should know better. Not kidding, they actually are.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Sex, alcohol, graduating, you bloody name it.

Sex was pretty meh.

Getting drunk was a calamity, and really not worth the amount of money it takes to get one drunk.

And graduating was the biggest failure by far, purely because of the time spent / proudness ratio. My entire life up to that point had revolved around primary, secondary, and tertiary education. And none of it was sodding worth in in my opinion. Education hasn't fulfilled what it was supposed to accomplish, i.e get me into work with proper qualifications. It's just given me all the qualifications... No work in sight.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
High school was FAR from the best time of my life.

Prom was dumb.

Losing my virginity was over-hyped.

Weddings are over-rated.

Getting drunk for the first time was...An experience, but other than that, not up to the stories.

My thoughts on a few of the things already mentioned.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Having sex, leaving high school, being 18/21, getting a driver's license, having your own place and being 'independent'.

Sex is... well it varies but it's not that amazing, leaving high school wasn't so much 'boy oh boy what comes next is awesome!' as 'thank fuck that's over', age ain't nothin' but a number, driving is... well it's lame, and living on your own support is fucking hard work and can just eat it.

Thank god I'm rich and don't have to worry about that shit.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
JaceArveduin said:
Vault101 said:
attutude is a very important thing...and can dictate how you experience certain things

for me I was told that highschool would be "the best time of my life" *snnrrrk* yeah right..fucking liars
Eyup, all the propaganda saying Highschool is the shit, I went through it bored. Of course, it's probably cause I'm an introvert, so all of the partying and stuff that's supposed to be part of paradise is just a nuisance to me. So yeah, I agree with Vault.
Heh, that makes me think of the fact that I'm such a horrible introvert in university... I have made no new friends there, just a few acquaintances. And very few at that, not as if I even know them very well outside of class. The one I know best is because we both transferred from the same community college and have the same major. And I have done no partying at all, yet university is supposed to have parties or something, right? I think it's the fact I don't talk to anyone or try to...
It might also be where you're at. I decided to do my degree at a college of technology, no parties to be had here. At least, not any I wouldn't look like a creep turning up at. And the people that run them are all dirty chav's, so they're not really what I consider good parties, as I can list how the night will go before I go.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Pretty much the entire school experience. Supposed best time of your life, the prom, even the f***ing qualifications were overrated. Once you get to college, things get better, and they often get fantastic in uni, but school was pretty much hell.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Tony said:
Growing facial hair. Although growing facial hair makes you a "man", I'd rather be a "boy" and not have to shave my balls every now and then.
Facial hair on your balls? So, you have balls on your face? That's unfortunate.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
shadyh8er said:
overpuce said:
Your avatar...can't...look....away!

OT: The "age" landmarks. You're one year older, whoop tee doo! It's because of this I've taken up telling people that they're "one year closer to dying" on their birthdays. I'm such a good friend!
Heh, I actually go a step further than that for mine -- I blow a vacation day for mine, and make sure to do and/or eat something dreadfully unhealthy (but enjoyable!), as if to taunt that lousy, ineffective reaper.

As far as actual disappointments, I guess my first BJ. I mean, it felt nice and all, but it certainly wasn't going to do the trick.

I'm surprised at the number of people who've said losing their virginity -- I mean, it wasn't the best sex of my life, but it certainly wasn't a disappointment.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
High School and College. Everyone kept saying that these were the best years of my life. They were boring and nothing happened. It also meant that I have already peaked and everything is downhill from here. Great.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Sex, I suppose. Don't get me wrong, it's still great, but not the completely mind-blowing, life-altering thing that you get so worked up over as a teenager.

. . . or maybe I'm just shit in bed :/

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
Drinking was pretty fun to start with, which might have been a bad sign for me. Alcohol dependence as a freshman in college, as it turns out, is not half as much fun as those t-shirts make it sound.

Also, the whole clubbing scene. No one there you'd want to end up in bed with unless you're drunk, so you have to get drunk, and the ultimate goal is bad sex that might cost less than a decent hooker.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Learning to drive was a huge thing for me and I still enjoy it loads, it opened up my life considerably and opened up a lot more job options. Genuinely no idea where I'd be without a car (aside from still at home, trying to figure out the local bus time table).

Losing my virginity was meh tbh. Awkward fumbling, having to rush, trying to keep her pinned and her mouth shut at the same time to stop her crying out for help... way too stressful.
I kid, I kid, of course. First time was very meh though; both myself and the girl I was with were inexperienced and it wasn't as fun as going solo had previously been. The follow up times were way, way, way better.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Turning 16 or 18. Okay, turning 18 is nice if you have a car, I guess.

And, of course, sex. Sex is nice and can be a wonderful experience -- but it's far from being the best experience you can have with someone.