Life experences you found over hyped

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Oh Jesus...Everything. Sex, alcohol, smoking pot, having friends, dating, driving, sporting events, swimming pools, birthdays, going shopping, childhood, high school, college, adulthood...

Pretty much everything on the planet is underwhelming. (I suppose the life-long depression doesn't help.) Which is why I turn my attention to art and all forms of escapism. And food. And cats. And pretty scenery. They don't disappoint me.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
University. Instead of having a wild time partying all through the week as promised, I was over-worked, over-stressed and cried tears of joy after I finished my final exam. There were some fun times in there, but I will never do it again.

The only other thing I can think of is first time having sex. Which gets remarkably over-hyped for something that is almost bound to go badly (or at least end prematurely). My first time was alright. Not dreadful but not all that exciting. Second time wasn't much better.

The third time was mind-blowing. Practice makes perfect, I guess. ;)

Xeraxis

Aug 7, 2011
High school. Complete and utter shit. Best years of your life? Yeah, right. Just a total waste of time, academically and socially.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Drinking. I like a few drinks but I really don't like getting drunk and just don't see the appeal.

University. I hated it, it was one of the reasons I dropped out.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Sex, Alcohol, Pot, 'life in general'.

All of those things are hyped beyond belief. And none of them is all of what people claim them to be. In my experience, all of them are generally fun, but ultimately disappointing.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
I'm gonna let everyone in on a secret. If you think sex is a letdown, you've been having bad sex. Even "decent" sex is one of the best ways to spend half an hour or so.

Another note: Everyone's first time sucks. Especially if both parties are virgins. It's going to be awkward, it's going to be uncomfortable, it'll probably hurt and there is a good chance you'll get in trouble with some authority figure if you do it as a teen. Keep at it, though, it only gets better from there.

To me, the big let down is voting in a major election. The actual experience is pretty damn dull (not to mention convoluted if its your first time), and once you've done it there is very little satisfaction outside of using it as a talking point. And voting SUCKS as a talking point, because it either devolves into a chorus of "me toos" or starts a fight.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
My first time...:

It's my fault. I was hyping myself up for it since I was fourteen. It was going to be magical. Those legs of hers would open up, and the night would go by -- hours and hours. I couldn't even consider myself a human being back then until I got over this obstacle. I gave in to the pressure. I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

...Yeah. I spent so much time trying to crack jokes with her that it was over in a flash.

"It gets better as you get better at it," my Dad told me.

As I get better. It wasn't the shining light of amazing I thought it'd be. I didn't become the greatest man on Earth that night. I'm a little behind on that. I was immature and over-zealous. No regrets. Though, I had more fun talking with her before, and after the act.

EDIT: Ordinaryundone (user above me) ^ That guy understands. Thanks.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
I'm gonna let everyone in on a secret. If you think sex is a letdown, you've been having bad sex. Even "decent" sex is one of the best ways to spend half an hour or so.

Another note: Everyone's first time sucks. Especially if both parties are virgins. It's going to be awkward, it's going to be uncomfortable, it'll probably hurt and there is a good chance you'll get in trouble with some authority figure if you do it as a teen. Keep at it, though, it only gets better from there.

To me, the big let down is voting in a major election. The actual experience is pretty damn dull (not to mention convoluted if its your first time), and once you've done it there is very little satisfaction outside of using it as a talking point. And voting SUCKS as a talking point, because it either devolves into a chorus of "me toos" or starts a fight.
Couldn't agree more. If you found sex to be a letdown, you're either doing it wrong or you need to find yourself a filthier partner.

Pro tip - Even if you're doing it right, still try and find a filthier partner.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
AngloDoom said:
- Turning 18 and 21: I actually have a habit of totally forgetting my birthday, so I ended up doing mundane things for both days.

- Losing my virginity: Uncomfortable and sometimes painful, it wasn't at all the 'unforgettable experience' as I was told to expect.

- Drinking: Still not a massive fan. I like to drink sometimes, but I still don't see why people drink about nine bottles of tequila and feel like liquid death the next day.

- Weed: Kind of boring, but in a nice, contented way. I certainly wouldn't pay for it on a regular basis, but the way people go on about it I was half expecting to end up feeling in a constant state of ecstasy and creativity - while I actually just felt relaxed and a little bit drunk.

- Prom: No idea if it was hyped or not, but due to unfortunate circumstances I missed the two proms I'll ever go to. From what I heard, though, it was everyone acting exactly the same but overly-dressed...which sounds both pretty cool and pretty anticlimactic.
I was going to say a lot of this. I rather agree with you. A lot of people seem to think it's really cool to do something that is entirely pointless, if not specifically set up to get you destroyed. Not to mention, steal away your money and your mind, leaving you with massive headaches and diseases. Not cool.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Let me think...ah, I think my list is rather simple.

1) All of them.

Really, none of the hyped-up experiences in my life ever lived up to the hype. Except maybe a good hockey game that proved to be just as good as the prior hype would make it out to be. As for the so-called "milestone" experiences such as first whatever...no.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Driving for the first time a few years ago. The enjoyment wore off after about 3 minutes. Hell, I even got pulled over by a cop the first time I went out on the rode with my dad. I think it was something to do with me braking too much and driving too slowly.

azukar

Sep 7, 2009
You know, I found driving to be pretty cool for a while.

If I had an overhyped experience, it was turning 18. Didn't mean a whole big change in how I went about my day-to-day, except for some reason bouncers and so on *started* asking for ID after I turned 18.