Life is Strange 2 confirmed.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Here's hoping it's good. I haven't played it (I might still pick it up, kinda mulling it over), but I've heard really good things and I hope the sequel's good too.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Liked it, but after I finished it I wasn't thinking, "This needs a sequel." I wanted them to make an original IP again. But that's gaming. I suppose it's good that they can build a series and lean back on it as they take risks with original IPs like Vampyr.
I agree that the first LiS was a self contained little gem, but I personally don't have an issue with them making a sequel, even if it's just using the game mechanic to tell a similar, but different story. I'm fine with that. I'm confident that the second one won't have as much of an emotional impact on me like the first one did, at the end of part 2, but i still enjoyed the puzzling of it. I could take or leave a sequel to be honest, though I am happy they've stated it won't be "The further adventures of Max" kind of junk. They let her story end, and that's good.

I still want it to be a reverse-engineering type of mystery though, like I mentioned in my above post. The more I think about it, the more I would really enjoy that gameplay. Though it might be tricky, since the protagonist would still have information about things that we, as the player, wouldn't know, having not lived in that world. Still, might be an interesting puzzle to tackle.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Life is Strange was a really well received and unique game, and therein lay its strength. I'm not terribly certain it needs sequels. Once "I've never really played another game quite like this" bleeds away into formula, something essential to the heart of the experience gets lost.

That said, here's hoping they do an alright job with it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Happyninja42 said:
Ezekiel said:
Liked it, but after I finished it I wasn't thinking, "This needs a sequel." I wanted them to make an original IP again. But that's gaming. I suppose it's good that they can build a series and lean back on it as they take risks with original IPs like Vampyr.
I agree that the first LiS was a self contained little gem, but I personally don't have an issue with them making a sequel, even if it's just using the game mechanic to tell a similar, but different story. I'm fine with that. I'm confident that the second one won't have as much of an emotional impact on me like the first one did, at the end of part 2, but i still enjoyed the puzzling of it. I could take or leave a sequel to be honest, though I am happy they've stated it won't be "The further adventures of Max" kind of junk. They let her story end, and that's good.

I still want it to be a reverse-engineering type of mystery though, like I mentioned in my above post. The more I think about it, the more I would really enjoy that gameplay. Though it might be tricky, since the protagonist would still have information about things that we, as the player, wouldn't know, having not lived in that world. Still, might be an interesting puzzle to tackle.
I think it might work better with Episode 1 establishing the normal world. That way, both the player and the protagonist notice things change in Episode 2. Just an idea.
Oooh, yeah that would work pretty well now that you mention it. Then if you didn't pay attention in episode 1, you will miss key elements that will help reshape the following chapters. That was one thing I did like about the first game, how if you weren't observant, you could miss little things that had larger impact. So if you, for example, don't actually pay attention to Girl A saying she's always loved her dad, and they've had a great relationship. Then you won't know that her variant is probably due to some daddy issues that were introduced with the timeline change.

Yes, damn I like that idea. Not sure if they will run with it, but I like it. I think it would lend itself to a more cohesive ending, if the final result is to set things right. Go full Quantum Leap on this shit! xD

Nick Cave

Jan 2, 2017
I hope they make it less shit this time, of which I'm still in doubt they'll be able to.

Outside of tackling a somewhat unique subject matter in a video game (but tackling it in an entirely conventional way) and having decent taste in music, and being less awful than Telltale, there's barely a single thing the game did right. Everything was just disastrous.

Terrible animations, flat, lifeless characters, horrendous writing, nonsense plot they made up as they went along, self indulgent and embarrasing last episode, unnecessarily limited gameplay, uninspired and often nonsensical puzzles.

Even after Remember Me turned out to be a dud by devs who didn't really know what they were doing, I still had some hopes since atleast it was aethetically fantastic and had some genuinely inspired bits. In Life is STrange they instead reverted to more conventional, but even more awful everything. It wasn't quite as bad as Walking Dead season 2, but it was fucking up there.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
I loved the first one, and it's taken one of the higher slots in my "favorite games of all time" list.
This.

I'd be fine with seeing the general formula continued--school students, supernatural powers, heavy normal-world drama, big mysteries--but like pretty much everyone else, as much as I like Max and Chloe I don't think it'd be good to continue any story involving them (not least of all because, even though I liked the end the game itself very clearly was heavily leaning on the emotional impact of one over the other).

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't LiS originally billed as a "prequel" to Remember Me? I could've sworn that's how it was originally announced, but the two ended up having nothing to with each other.

As such, I think what Dontnod's doing is building a sort of shared universe deal which will eventually demonstrate how we got to the future of Remember Me, and maybe beyond. And maybe explain Max's bullshit powers too >_>

Happyninja42 said:
That does sound like a really bad ass idea.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
This is one of those games that will age terribly.
Playing this game 10 years from now will be like watching a "hip" movie from the 90's right now.
Sure, you might get some entertainment out of it but mostly because you'll be laughing at the dialogue and the art direction.

Hopefully they'll hire someone who's more competent to write the sequel.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Vanilla ISIS said:
This is one of those games that will age terribly.
Playing this game 10 years from now will be like watching a "hip" movie from the 90's right now.
Sure, you might get some entertainment out of it but mostly because you'll be laughing at the dialogue and the art direction.

Hopefully they'll hire someone who's more competent to write the sequel.
I doubt it. I mean, I'm 40, and I played it and it felt relatively "universealy teenager" enough to fit any era. Some of the stuff they said, and how they acted, seriously reminded me of friends of mine from the 90's. I mean, Chloe herself was a terrifying hybrid of 2 friends I had, mushed into one girl. I didn't feel particularly "out of place" playing it. Sure, some phrases were "of their time" like go fuck your selfie, as we didn't have those back in the 90's, but the awkward socializing, fumbling to talk to person you are attracted to. Driftless uncertainty about what you will do with your life, all that stuff is pretty universal to the state of being a teenager. So I think, for the most part, the game will work just fine over time.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Good writing would be a nice addition on top of some gameplay for the sequel of this visual novel.
Happyninja42 said:
I doubt it. I mean, I'm 40, and I played it and it felt relatively "universealy teenager" enough to fit any era.
Congrats, you've finally become old. See ya in the grave.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd have to echo others in the 'write better dialoge this time' demand. Also maybe make the characters look their age, too, and not try to pass off characters that barely look fifteen as eighteen. And get some better voice direction while you're at it. When the only natural sounding character in your story is a shady drug dealer you're not supposed to like very much, something went wrong somewhere.

I still had a mildly amusing time with it, and it certainly handles gameplay and navigating levels better than any Telltale game, but the cringey emo hipsteriness of it was stifling.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I really glad to hear this news. The first one was a good game.
However I need to ask:
Who else wish for a sequel who continue with the "bad" decision?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Casual Shinji said:
. Also maybe make the characters look their age, too, and not try to pass off characters that barely look fifteen as eighteen.
Idk man, I have an 18 year old cousin and she looks just as young as Max does.

30 year olds playing 18 year olds in movies and TV shows have ruined our ability to judge ages.
No dude, characters like Max and Kate have the same body proportation as Ellie from The Last of Us and she's fourteen. Maybe if they were vegan or something, because these girls are puny as hell. I live near a high school (apart from have been to one for four years) and 16-year olds are weird, freaky giants. I'll give you another game comparison; The characters in Bully look proportionally older than most of the students in Life is Strange, and again, they're only like fifteen.

During my entire playtime I needed to remind myself that this was in fact a university and not some boarding school.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
SweetShark said:
I really glad to hear this news. The first one was a good game.
However I need to ask:
Who else wish for a sequel who continue with the "bad" decision?
I don't want it to involve them at all, good or bad decision. I can't see any way the "bad" choice doesn't end up with Chloe killing herself, or Max leaving her out of the guilt of what she had to do. And also I just, honestly don't want anything new to do with those characters. The story, either choice, has a nice finality to it. All of the temporal stuff is resolved, one way or another, so there's no reason to continue.

Jerast

Jul 17, 2015
If they fixed up the shitty 45 year old man writing dialogue for teenage girls that would be great.

The writing was super fucking cringe in a lot of areas.