Liking ZP gets me mocked.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Maybe tell them that it's your taste that you like ZP, also if it was me I would tell them that I don't watch ZP just to get an evaluation of the game (because sometimes I can have difficulties understanding if he really hates the game or likes it, sometimes that's fixed with the extra punctuation thou) but because you think he is funny or something else (I bet you don't only watch it so you should get the game or not, because he is not the most objective critic there is). Then you could ask them how they decide on getting a game and beat them down for that, it's all a matter of taste and how convincing they think their source of information about games are.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
ellistoner said:
All of your friends probably own Wii's right?
or play JRPGs xD
I take that as an insult since I own a Wii and I have enjoyed 2 JRPGs on my Gamecube and Wii and I still like ZP!!!
On the other hand I find some amount of sarcasm in your post?!! ^^

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Just tell them they don't get it. :3

no no don't drop to their level of pretentiousness.

Also, I suggest you get some friends who don't work for Gamespot.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Laugh with them until they don't think its funny any more then when ever they come up to you to insult you again just laugh with them with that tooo... eventually they will get bored of you and move on and you can get on with your life to :D

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Scarecrow 8 said:
I like Zero Punctuation, but when I talk about it, people call me a game hating troll. They think that Yathzee is a hack and the worst person to ever live, and that by watching him, I must be a idiot. How do I deal with people like this? Are they right? Tell me what you think. And don't tell me to punch them.

Edit: I fixed up my spelling mistakes.
No they aren't right, they're just such blind, overly sensitive, fanboy ninnies that they can't take a joke. People just can't stand it when someone criticizes something they like, even if those criticisms are correct. ESPECIALLY if those criticisms are correct.

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
Consider the reason(s) you watch Zero Punctuation and explain it/them to your friends so that they'll at least respect your views even if they don't agree with them.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Why not make fun of shit they like?

They like Halo? Call it a fucking cookie cutter piece of shit that spawned many generic clones, and killed the FPS genre. That ought to piss them off.

They like Blizzard? Say that they are hideous sellouts who, after WoW, simply saw their consumers as ballsacks full of money, waiting to be punched.

They like some other game reviewer? Say he's a pathetic ass-kissing fanboy who gives great reviews to his "model company", and shit reviews to all others. Also he has a bad voice.

Hit them where it hurts. Say completely biased things, and spawn a miniature flame-war within their minds.

...Or punch them.

Note: I meant nothing with those statements above. They were simply there for show. Nothing I say should be advised; I am a dangerous lunatic.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Can't help but catch that ZP promotes less braindeath to games. Not only this speaks about your friends, it also speaks about the games.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I think it depends on wether you you instantly adapt to ZP's opinion or if you're able to filter things you don't agree with. If you're Yahtzee's mind slave then yes, you could indeed be a game hating troll.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
ellistoner said:
or play JRPGs xD
i like jrpgs and i still find it funny watching him make fun of them

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Have sex with all of there mothers (preferably at the same time) and record it. The next time they start mocking you for liking ZP play the recording and point out all of their mothers technique flaws.
That's how all arguments should be solved.

Lost Cause

Nov 18, 2009
solidsnake101023 said:
ellistoner said:
or play JRPGs xD
i like jrpgs and i still find it funny watching him make fun of them
Ditto; I fit both criteria, yet I still like to watch. I don't necessarily agree with what he says, but it's still funny.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Rather unfortunately, disliking it will also get you mocked. I am afraid that it's a no-win situation, you can't please everyone. So i guess everything that's left is to give them a finger and continue onwards.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Depends whether or not you take him seriously.

If you do, then you deserve to be mocked.

If you don't, tell them to fuck off.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Punch them...oh wait. DAMNIT!

Well, if I had to guess, they're probably the type that basically can't accept anything different or new. The type that plays nothing (AND I MEAN NOTHING) but Modern Warfare 2 every damn day reaching 10th prestige, and calling every single person that liked Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, or Portal a "FGT OMG LULZORS". Or something of that nature.

If I'm wrong, then please ignore what's written below:

I usually don't agree with Yahtzee's overall "score" on a game, but he still makes some damn fine points. Hell, I liked Alan Wake, but you have to admit that the monologuing and the use of slo-mo during enemy encounters really hurt the experience.

If your friends are gonna be making fun of you for liking something, then they probably aren't your "friends" and more like acquaintances that hang around you every now and then.

Then again, there's the route that everyone else is saying: Make fun of what they like, so that it's pretty much even. Call Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer unbalanced. Tell them that Halo 3 is merely by the numbers. Announce that Red Dead Redemption is more like a box of toys then a coherent game.

That's just me though. Do what you want.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
People seem to have this inability to avoid people thay don't like.
You don't have to be friends with these people so don't bother with them.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So? He's still funny, and he still makes some good points when he actually goes to make them. Sure, often more than a little harsh, but what're you going to do? And surely the fact they react so violently and so negatively makes them Trollish themselves? Oh, and I like a lot of the games he takes to pieces. I don't suddenly call him a game hating troll because he doesn't share my tastes.