Lindsey Stirling Discussion

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Naqel said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Fuck it, enough strong negativity here, so I'm not going to feed it.
That makes it like you're not sharing your opinion, but rather just going against whatever was already posted because... reasons?

Personally, while I'll admit she has potential, I feel it's being wasted away on stuff that you're likely to forget the moment you stop listening.
She is an awesome person as far as one can tell though, so she might get better.
My original post was going to be more decidedly negative, but after seeing some of the comments on here I felt it was too harsh. So I reassessed. In other words I gave it a second chance and took what I liked out of it over what I didn't like. It wasn't a change of opinion, but a change in delivery.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I don't hate her. I find that I actually enjoy some of her songs and covers; but I don't enjoy watching her 'dance'. The way she dances is more awkward and difficult to sit through than entertaining. Perhaps that's a personal issue I have, but if I do watch some of her videos I can't help but think, "Will you just sit still for a damn minute?!" "What is that move? Are you ill?" lol. I guess I just don't get it.

patryn0

Oct 27, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6LD2B_kDQ&feature=kp

Kind of surprised no one posted "Elements" yet. I think it's one of her best songs. The violin meshes much better with the rest of the music and is nice and intricate also.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Gotta give her credit for doing something different, and doing it very successfully on her own without studio machines packaging her up as yet another regurgitated pop Princess without pants. Love or hate or be indifferent to her music. Her degree of independent success doing what she loves, and not what someone else wants her to do is fascinating. She's the musical equivalent of some of the indie games and developers we talk about so much around here. She's like Notch and Minecraft. Not necessarily everyone's preferred game, but they have managed to attract enough of a Fan and customer base directly to be extremely succesful. More than anything else they both are signs of the slow inexorable death of the big monopolistic publishing houses as the media environment changes.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I've always been a fan of violin/viola, but unfortunately haven't really ever been particularly impressed with the melodies she chooses to employ for her videos, which often seem to be more about her spinning around in cosplay and staring off into space. :/

Though it does make me want to listen to things like:

Also, tangentially (not violin), something I consider honorary pre-electronic classical breakbeat:

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
I rather like her music. She's come a long way since her lackluster audition on America's Got Talent and it's nice to see her finding her own way.

I'll admit my old roommate mentioning her doing her Zelda video got my attention, but the rest of her work has kept me interested longer than most artists.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
I only watched the shadows video so far, but I liked it. Of course I'm a bit of a sucker for electric violin/cello bands (like Emilie Autumn and The Cruxshadows) that incorporate electronic music with classical instruments.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
Yopaz said:
Jaximus Decimus said:
The dancing while playing the violin is really turning me off. I mean, what is this even supposed to be? If you're an amazing violinist and your music is compelling you don't need to dance to keep my attention. This is just distracting. I feel like I would get more out of the experience without the videos.

Smeatza said:
Cheap, boring, neutered, sterile, cliched.
She seems like she can play quite well, but I have to agree with all of this. Oh well. Apparently some people really like this, so good for them.
The sad thing with this is that I agree with you about her skills with the violin, but with all the other things mixed in, the beat, the dancers, the shifting background and the techno just turns me off. She seems talented, but it's not my kind of thing.
Remember that this is definitely one of her most complicated songs (along with Moon trance, i haven't actually gone through and listened to all her music so i dont know if there are more basic or more complicated songs she has done) she has alot more simple ones that are covers or a just...Simple. See stuff like 'Shadows'

njrk97

May 30, 2011
Also in regards to her dancing she said
"ever since I was a kid, I've always wished that I could dance, but my parents said, 'You could choose violin or you could choose dance, but we can't afford both', and I chose violin. So this is kind of a fulfillment ? it's funny to say, but this is something I've always wanted to do."

but yeah so if you dont like the dancing thats fine but personally i find it interesting, she kinda has her own style to it because it is hard to learn to dance with a instrument like that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Smeatza said:
Cheap, boring, neutered, sterile, cliched.
When I started listening to the song, I saw your post and thought it was a little harsh. I figured this was building to something.

You were right, and I was disappointed.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The actual video is a bit much, but I did like the music (this being the first time I've heard of it). Not something I'd put in my favourite music playlist though. Didn't really make me want to do anything.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
As someone who's pretty decent at the violin, I must say, it's not very easy to dance while playing violin. So, kudos for that. Though, I'd say her technical ability is merely okay (not including the ability to dance while playing).

As for her videos, I think I saw a Skyrim one that wasn't bad. Haven't really seen her other stuff though.

Aug 1, 2010
I enjoy her stuff quite a bit. Most of her covers are meh, but the original stuff is good.

Elements is fantastic as is Shadows, apparently.

The videos have always been half the fun, though.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I don't like most of her covers and her latest doesn't do anything for me but I do like Shadows, Elements and Electric Daisy violin. Shadows is still my favourite of hers both as a song and for the music video.

She isn't my favourite band using string instruments but she is on my playlist.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Take everything else out but the violin and the main riff, then fill in the techno parts with some more improvisational sounding stuff and I think we'll have something great here.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
What's wrong with you all, Lindsey Sterling is adorable.

I like her stuff, though she does seem to depend a lot on her cover music of video games and film, and not on original material. Of course, her geeky persona is the whole reason she's famous, so I guess it makes sense.