Link and Epona Ride Again in Ocarina of Time 3D Trailer

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
This is the single, only, solitary reason that I want a 3ds. Other than that, I think the battery life is rather poor and I know that I won't use the 3d that much. But Ocarina of time was the first game that showed me how epic video games could be, how the plot could be interesting and how I could beat games even though I was young. It's quite a game.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
HankMan said:
Hey, listen, Buy this!
Aha, I like it a lot!

OT: This game must be owned. By me. First console game I ever owned, alongside Mario64. Children who played LoZ:TP don't deserve to own it. Too young, do not want (them to play it) ;)
I wonder if they'll do Majoras Mask. I actually liked that one. If you do one thing in a playthrough, sometimes you can't do others, making the time mechanic interesting. And I got the gilded sword, making me awesome ;)

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'll only buy it and a DS eventually (when the next gen Pokemon game comes out for it) if they fixed the water temple. I literally got trapped in there and didn't feel like starting again. You shouldn't have that in an adventure game where if you forgot to do one small thing that you get comepletely shafted and can't continue the game.

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
What a waste of time. There are no signs of any new content and looks like a cheap cash in. The 3DS had so much potential, all wasted. It's like the Game Boy Advance all over again.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dead_Lee said:
What a waste of time. There are no signs of any new content and looks like a cheap cash in. The 3DS had so much potential, all wasted. It's like the Game Boy Advance all over again.
minarri said:
So is there any difference at all aside from slightly updated graphics? As much as I loved this game back in the day I don't want to buy a 3DS just to play it again.
There are some new modes - a Mirror Mode of Master Quest (the more difficult retuning of the game), a Boss Rush mode and some other bits of bonus content.

Also, for those wondering about the graphics, it really isn't obvious if you're just looking at a trailer like this, but the improvement is *really* noticeable side-to-side.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Sinclose said:
BehattedWanderer said:
I had always thought that the pointy ears was just how the polygons came out on the N64. I didn't realize they actually had ears that stuck a foot off their head. Bizzare.
The ears are like that because 'elf ears' are traditionally pointy. Link comes from an elven village.
I am so baffled at this remark I can't even tell if this is a troll or not.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
tehweave said:
Alright. Two things.

One: I try to deny it as much as I can. There are tons of great games out there, some hold up over time, some don't. Despite the fact that I want to try and have my own unique opinion, I can't deny that Ocarina of Time is simply the greatest video game ever made.

Two: As good as the game is, am I the only one not really impressed by the graphical upgrade? I've played street fighter 3D. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful. The graphics of this game look like a slightly more polished version of the N64 one. It doesn't seem to use the full potential of the system. Now, this is nitpicking a bit, and YES I WILL BUY A 3DS WHEN THIS COMES OUT, but when you're going to do a direct port with some upgrades of one of the best-selling and most popular games of all time, we'll need those upgrades to be noticeable, otherwise it's just another port.

Let's hope the 3D is good, the graphics are really polished, and the water temple is improved. (I heard that somewhere, they're re-tooling the water temple?)
The graphics came out in a time where you could count the polygons. It would be hard to compare that to SFIV. Still, I can see how it doesn't quite hold up to some of the examples on the system.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Sinclose said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Sinclose said:
BehattedWanderer said:
I had always thought that the pointy ears was just how the polygons came out on the N64. I didn't realize they actually had ears that stuck a foot off their head. Bizzare.
The ears are like that because 'elf ears' are traditionally pointy. Link comes from an elven village.
I am so baffled at this remark I can't even tell if this is a troll or not.
What are you baffled by? I was assuming you were talking about the pointy ears of Link and said they couldn't be 'fixed' on the 3DS version, not only because because they have been a part of Link since the 1st game but also because pointy ears are a visual design choice traditionally attributed to elves in fiction since Tolkien literature(although they were not in traditional mythology prior to that, from my recollection).

Although yeah, that part I said about 'Link coming from an elven village' was pointless. I read your portion of the post from mjc0961's quote of it, didn't read the entire original post until just now, or it would have been obvious you already knew that >_<

Apologies.
Admittedly, I've never noticed his ears being that far off his head before. I knew they were pointed, and as a design choice fair enough on them, even if I would look at it then completely disregard that I knew it, and at least they're consistent across all the games. They've been subtle until now, where it didn't look like one of those WoW monstrosities, but the trailers here really make them stick out. But I'm still stuck on this: They're not elves, dude. Two completely different mythologies at work here. And if they are, that wouldn't hold up--the various Links have come from many different places, and some were even distinctly of the "living there, but was born to a family that ran to the forest, not born there" variety. Everyone has pointed ears in the Zelda universe. Except Gorons, who don't usually have ears. It's not an elf thing, it's just a thing of that region. Also, I wasn't notified of mjc's quote for some reason. Odd.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Well, it appears like it is exactly the same game with a graphical overhaul (and added 3D, of course). Not really worth getting a 3DS for. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Ocarina of Time, but because of that I have already beaten it about twelve times (the last time being a few weeks ago) I just don't see any reason to buy this unless they add lots of extra content.

An eastatic overhaul just isn't enough, especially since I'm one of the few people that actually likes the look of the big polygons, frequent use of 2D sprites for things like plants and grass, hand-drawn backgrounds and heavily compressed textures that you encounter in a lot of N64 and PS1 games.

Then again, I'm also one of the few people who loved the Water Temple; so that probably means I'm a crazy person and you should disregard everything I say.