Living in a game of your choice.

DarkSeraphim02

Feb 28, 2011
Well my avatar is probably a dead giveaway, but I wouldn't mind living in the Castlevania universe as a vampire. God like powers, a big castle to call my own, minions if I desire them and since I'd have no intention of screwing with humanity or joining up with Dracula I doubt I'd have to worry about Alucard or one of the Belmonts kicking my door down.

Hell If I got bored I could always screw with Drac a bit by taking out some of his minions.

Captcha: let me know

Apparantly captcha wants to join me.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
bug_of_war said:
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Elder Scrolls lands would be probably up there, I think I'd pass on Dragon Age lands (too much societal stratification / prejudice & way too much religious fervor for my taste), but I think I'd be happiest in Hyrule. Even when things are getting messed, most of the folks in most of the towns seem pretty bubbly and ready to make the best of things for their own happiness. I like that. They do get a bit annoying though, but I'm thinking as one of them I might mind less.
I love how you say Dragon Age universe has too much prejudice but also believe The Elder Scrolls would be a good place. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I find it interesting that you find Dragon Age to be more prejudicial than TES seeing as how the only really noticible prejudice in the game is against the mages. As far as sexual orientation, gender, race, and to an extent, wealth is explored, the DA universe seems to be a little bit more free than TES where you have sexism, racism, magic haters, corruption, civil wars.
... and Elves, who are second class citizens at best and almost entirely a servant class or slaves outright. Also the Dwarves have the casteless and a very stringent caste system to adhere to with a great deal of internal prejudice amongst themselves - not to mention any non-Andraste worshipping folk, some of whom are viewed as savages for it.

Yes, prejudice exists in Skyrim too - but it's of the racial / national sort generally speaking and very few races or nations have been wholesale enslaved by one another in their entirety at any point I'm aware of - gender doesn't seem to be much of an issue in either setting, I'll give you that. Wealth seems to be of the normal scale - the rich stick their noses up to the poor, the poor harbor quiet resentment of the rich, etc. Race... well I think TES has a more even setting as at least each faction has a homeland where they are the dominant group - granted, if one is outside one's homeland they face the prejudice of being a minority, which is sadly all too common, but for each race there is a place where they are the majority somewhere.

Overt/extreme sexism isn't something I've seen much of in TES actually (or DA for that matter, at least in Ferelden/Free Marches), though I've seen some minority racism in by the majority in an area, yes, some magic-haters, but the practice is not strictly controlled as it is in Dragon Age universe, corruption - ok that's a gimme, but that's somewhere in most all game universes, and as for war I'd say they're about equal - we typically only play in exciting times of course, but both realms have had their share of bloody conflicts.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
I would love to live the Assassin's Creed universe exactly for the reasons you just said but also because if I happen to stumble upon a Piece of Eden artifact then I would make people do what I want.

Now that I think about it I would probaly be a templar, I'm not too big on the "peace can only be achieved through understanding" hippie crap the assassins say.I believe some humans are bastards and it does'nt matter if you understand them the only thing those people know is power and you sometimes have to put a few boots on people's necks in order to maintain the peace.
I think I'd lean more towards Assassins than Templars, not because I think they're (Templars) wrong, but because I believe that freedom in every sense is better than restrictions. I thin people should be able to do things that may harm themseleves such as smoke, take drugs, drink heavy, eat a shit ton of junk, so long as in the end they're only doing it to themselves. I understand there needs to be some form of control, but a responsible person can guide another into a safe and healthy lifestyle. That's why I always liked the Assassins, they refered to their leader as a mentor, rather than a master.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
It may seem cliche, but the Kokiri Forest in Ocarina of Time was the first world I truly got lost in in a video game. It's a place that holds a timeless joy, where the innocence of childhood is never invaded.

Immortality is also a nice addition.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
I think I would have to go with The Secret World. I would want to be a Templar, and do Chaos Magic with either a shotgun or duel pistols, and I would just be chilling. Fancy a trip to Majorca? Just pop through the hollow earth. Running low on cash? Just flog a priceless relic at the local auction house. Want to kill a monster? Just go on a quest and take some time out for it. Don't want to kill a monster? Just join a group of people and get one of them to attack it first before running away and letting them get pasted.

It seems like it might be the most fun videogame to wake up in.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Mylinkay Asdara said:
... and Elves, who are second class citizens at best and almost entirely a servant class or slaves outright. Also the Dwarves have the casteless and a very stringent caste system to adhere to with a great deal of internal prejudice amongst themselves - not to mention any non-Andraste worshipping folk, some of whom are viewed as savages for it.

Yes, prejudice exists in Skyrim too - but it's of the racial / national sort generally speaking and very few races or nations have been wholesale enslaved by one another in their entirety at any point I'm aware of - gender doesn't seem to be much of an issue in either setting, I'll give you that. Wealth seems to be of the normal scale - the rich stick their noses up to the poor, the poor harbor quiet resentment of the rich, etc. Race... well I think TES has a more even setting as at least each faction has a homeland where they are the dominant group - granted, if one is outside one's homeland they face the prejudice of being a minority, which is sadly all too common, but for each race there is a place where they are the majority somewhere.

Overt/extreme sexism isn't something I've seen much of in TES actually (or DA for that matter, at least in Ferelden/Free Marches), though I've seen some minority racism in by the majority in an area, yes, some magic-haters, but the practice is not strictly controlled as it is in Dragon Age universe, corruption - ok that's a gimme, but that's somewhere in most all game universes, and as for war I'd say they're about equal - we typically only play in exciting times of course, but both realms have had their share of bloody conflicts.
I just want to point out that their has been slavery in The Elder Scrolls, the Argonians were enslaved by the Dunmer for a long time, and the Elves have generally been at war with the Humans for a long time. Also, in Morrowind (the land not teh game) the Dunmer are so racist that they will snub other Dunmer who come from a different village. I wouldn't say sexism is HUGE in TES series, but there are missions/side events in Skyrim that show there is a contrast between men and women. They probably don't stand out as much because most women and men in the series kind of accept the contrast, but it is in their, it's just not really developed apon because nobody wants to fix sexism in a video game, it's not exactly a fun thing.

As for Dragon Age there are many instances where people whom don't worship Andraste live quite peacefully in society, so I wouldn't say it's too bad in regards to people being savage for not believing. The Chantry also seems to be well organised in the sense that they're not over zealous, are quite kind and are kind of like the middle ground in most debates between Templars and Mages. For example, in DA2 the leader of the Chantry took neither the Templars or Mages sides and simply asked for peace, and it wasn't until the Chantry blew the fuck up did the Templars and Mages begin fighting.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, I just found your idea of TES being more 'forward' than Dragon Age interesting and was curious to see your thoughts extended.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
lRookiel said:
Dark souls, because I love a good challenge! :3
Too bad if you're not a certain "Chosen Undead" you'll end up with the same fate as every other NPC, dead... like forever. :)

OT: Persona 4.

Sure I won't get my Bionic Commando arm I've always wanted, and sure I won't get to smoke a cig with the Solid Snake...
but with a cast of friends like these... who needs those other things!
Plus I get to "Social Link" with...

so cute.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
There's nothing wrong with freedom(although I think the wrong people abuse their freedoms like freedom of speech and would'nt have any qualms about limitng those).But sometimes in order to have peace you must have the power to make it so which is why I like the templars they believe that if they restrict a group's freedoms they can achieve peace for the whole.

Which is why the assassins can never wipe them out because there is going to be people who believe in peace through power and that letting people do whatever they want will never ensure peace can happen.

The templars are like a police force and just like real policemen and policewomen there are a few bad apples but the templars are doing what they think is right.
Oh don't get me wrong, we need police, we need punishment for when we do something wrong like stealing and killing etc, but I believe that peace is the dream that will never be realised because peace is boring. In my eyes an imperfect world is a perfect world. Now, that doesn't mean I like the fact that there are people running around saying, "You're going to hell unless you believe this" or, "You're an idiot for believing in god and the afterlife" or "Your opinion is wrong", but I'd rather people be free to say and think what they want than be restricted to a set outlook. I basically see the whol Templar vision turning the world into '1984' (That novel with big brother or whatever they called it), and frankly I would hate to be unable to say, "I hate this band" or be restricted to only having one soft drink/alcoholic beverage per day. There are days where I enjoy a binge, and I think peace is a dream that should stay as a dream. I believe we should always seek peace, as it makes people in general better, but I also believe that once peace is obtained we have no idea what to do with it (Which is kinda funny seeing as how the Templars believe that once we get freedom we don't know what to do with it and cause chaos).

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
bug_of_war said:
Mylinkay Asdara said:

I just want to point out that their has been slavery in The Elder Scrolls, the Argonians were enslaved by the Dunmer for a long time, and the Elves have generally been at war with the Humans for a long time. Also, in Morrowind (the land not teh game) the Dunmer are so racist that they will snub other Dunmer who come from a different village. I wouldn't say sexism is HUGE in TES series, but there are missions/side events in Skyrim that show there is a contrast between men and women. They probably don't stand out as much because most women and men in the series kind of accept the contrast, but it is in their, it's just not really developed apon because nobody wants to fix sexism in a video game, it's not exactly a fun thing.

As for Dragon Age there are many instances where people whom don't worship Andraste live quite peacefully in society, so I wouldn't say it's too bad in regards to people being savage for not believing. The Chantry also seems to be well organised in the sense that they're not over zealous, are quite kind and are kind of like the middle ground in most debates between Templars and Mages. For example, in DA2 the leader of the Chantry took neither the Templars or Mages sides and simply asked for peace, and it wasn't until the Chantry blew the fuck up did the Templars and Mages begin fighting.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, I just found your idea of TES being more 'forward' than Dragon Age interesting and was curious to see your thoughts extended.
I'm happy to have a civil debating partner actually :) I am not trying to be whatever the female equivalent of a dick is either.

You consider insisting that their Maker won't come back to his creation until his chant is heard from all corners of the world, until all embrace their doctrine in other words, "not over zealous" do you? I would say that almost defines the concept. Individuals who don't worship Andraste may get along alright - going along to get along in some cases - but the Chasind spring to mind as a whole group of people who don't worship Andraste and missionaries are going to them as barbarians; similarly the people of Rivani are considered semi-godless for declining to embrace the Chantry's teachings that would require them to do away with wise women / hedge mages amongst them. Qunari are considered a heretical threat by some and at least a serious impediment to the spread of the Chant by others. One benevolent leader of a Chantry does not a tolerant institution make - remember, the Grand Divine (or whatever she's called) told Leliana to tell the Grand Cleric to get out of town because if things blew up she was sending in a force to be reckoned with (and if you're siding with mages you end the game on the run from these). I don't doubt their general intentions are good towards a general portion of the population (the ones who are sided with them largely), but they are a large and powerful organized religion with an army - one doesn't have an army on call if one is not going to use them if it comes to that.

I didn't say TES had no slavery, only that an entire race wasn't enslaved to another. There are slaves and slavery may be determined on a racial basis, but the whole of a people have not come entirely under another people since the Mythic Age (and that's semi-debatable as to be included - since the history is a tiny bit on the sketchy side that far back).

There's a contrast between men and women - pretty standard stuff there. Again, no massively offensive or overt sexism catches my eye in either game (women can inherit in both games, can be leaders in both games, are not denied entry into professions based on sex in either game that I can recall, and so on). Men and women seem - however occasionally contrasted and in some individual cases possibly in unequal situations - on the whole and in general treated equally, which is about as best you can ask from a video game currently. (and no, I don't want to go into a feminist / not slant - not what this is about overall and I think we both agree that if there is sexism it's not significant enough to say, not want to live in that world at all).

LucidGrifter

Mar 1, 2013
Guys about that Mass Effect Universe thing...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122600-College-Student-Unveils-Working-Mass-Effect-Medi-Gel
...so yeah

OT: I'd choose Borderlands 2. Tons of ridiculous weapons, mysterious vaults, hilarious bad-guy, and if i die i'll just come back to life at the nearest checkpoint.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Pokemon, or one of those crazy-ass hentai games where you can have sex with literally ANYONE with ZERO consequences. Yeah. Sorry if that scared anyone.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Well, considering many of my favorite games feature worlds wherein the proverbial "shit" has hit the proverbial "fan", my choices are diminished.

Still, plenty left to pick from:

The world of Wipeout would be pretty damn sweet. Futuristic world that's a mix of Bladerunner and cyber-punk. A world where anti-grav technology reigns supreme and the most popular spectator sport is a ridiculous, over-the-top, incredibly fast, and ludicrously dangerous racing league. Could be interesting.

Same could be said of worlds like those of Deus Ex, Perfect Dark, etc. Places much like our world, only with far more advanced technology.

Another fun game world to live in would be that of Banjo Kazooie. Or, really, many of the classic adventure/platformer worlds. Donkey Kong Country, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Rachet and Clank, etc, etc.

'Course, at the same time, I imagine living in those worlds would be like being on a perpetual acid trip.

I could probably go on and on, but really, I think I'm torn between two picks. Mechwarrior and Torchlight.

The former exists in the far-flung future of the 31st century. A time when humanity has spread across a good portion of the galaxy, populating thousands of worlds. Control of these worlds is split between the noble houses and the clans. Each controlling anywhere from a handful to hundreds. All locked in an everlasting struggle for dominance. Sometimes they enjoy a tentative, almost cold-war like peace. Other times, they'll be plunged into full-on conflict and destruction. Pitting their armies of soldiers, vehicles, and gigantic walking war-machines (Mechs) against their foes.

While I wouldn't exactly enjoy the 'war' bits, living in such an amazing time surrounded by such incredible technology, and civilizations that span the galaxy, would be mind-blowingly incredible.

Plus, you know....giant robots with lasers and such.

As for Torchlight, it's a world that exists in a time and place where magic and early technology collide. It's a mix of classic fantasy spellcraft and robotic steam-punk.

Despite the world often being on the cusp of destruction, often at the hands of some otherworldly force, the place would be beautiful. Filled with such strange yet amazing sights. Creatures of beauty and grotesqueness. Living machines. Tools of immense power. Feats of magic. In a way, it would be like the worlds of Bioshock and The Lord of the Rings combined; only far less grim-dark and more stylized.

If I HAD to pick one....I'm not sure I could. Both sound so amazing that, which ever I'd pick, I'd regret not picking the other.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I will unabashedly point out that I feel DOA:paradise and Sexy Beach 3 are valid options. Judge me if you want.

Though honestly I'd probably go with the others who say Pokemon, I mean catch a couple of Meowth, grind with them
until they are level 100 keeping their pay day attacks and you're set for life, and from that point you can just
wander around the Pokemon world with your pokemon friends having cool adventures & meeting new people.
Plus I wanna be a trainer with a level 100 oddish, so that some lame terrorist can challenge me, and get his !@@
handed to him by someone using just an oddish.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Probably Valoran (The continent that League of Legends takes place).

I would love to see cities like Piltover, Zaun and Ionia.