Nov 9, 2008
This needs to be a proper show.

Yankeedoodles said:
Matt_LRR said:
Mattteus said:
...do all Canadians say 'zed'?
That's how it's pronounced.

-m
...in England (and the Commonwealth apparently)

Edit: Oddly enough I didn't even notice James say "zed". I guess I've gotten to the point where in my mind where zed = z[ee]. Which is kind of interesting. When I started watching Stargate Atlantis that Canadian scientist would talk about needing a Z.E.D.P.M. to get them back to Earth. At the same time all the Americans were talking about how they needed a Z.P.M. to get back. Embarrassingly I think it took me 2 seasons to realize that they were talking about the same thing.

But I'm sure that isn't the case with a lot of Americans. As I mentioned in some other thread, the thing about Canadian English is that it sounds EXACTLY like the American General dialect except for about a dozen or so common words. And because they're so similar, those dozen or so words stick out like sore thumbs to a lot of us. More so than they would if those pronunciations were part of a more foreign sounding English dialect like Cockney, Aussie, Scots, New Yorker, Newfie or any of the various Southern dialects. Those pronunciations certainly aren't wrong any more than the General American pronunciation is wrong (indeed spelling usually indicates that the Canadian pronunciation is probably closer to the original pronunciation) but they sound wrong to us. It'd probably be like hearing a fellow Canadian say, "I would like tomAHtos on my potAHtoes and a tall glass of mEHlk please," (assuming Canadians pronounce those words: tomAYto, potAYto and mILk of course).I'm sure American viewers will get used to it given enough time.

Anyway, great video!
Strangely enough, in Australia tomato is pronounced tomAHto but potato is pronounced potAYto and milk is just milk. Also I've always found it strange that everyone who isn't American knows both how these types of things are said in their native dialect and in American English.

For instance, since the day I've known how to say z I've known how Americans say it.

Oh language, how I love you sometimes!

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
Quite apropos, as I just finished watching Castle...

Odd; I've never heard of people doing that (signing up for services under fake names as a joke), but apparently, tons of people do it. Huh. You learn something new every day.

And I kind of want to see the rest of this story, but it wasn't all that "funny" to me, just sort of...intensely odd.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
AWESOME cH3 Critical reference! Wow I actually got one! I never thought the day would come when spotted something like that/

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
That music was amazing and the stinger made the video. But seriously if that were to really happen, I would like to think that it would really mess with the agency involved.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Yankeedoodles said:
Matt_LRR said:
Mattteus said:
...do all Canadians say 'zed'?
That's how it's pronounced.

-m
...in England (and the Commonwealth apparently)

Edit: Oddly enough I didn't even notice James say "zed". I guess I've gotten to the point where in my mind where zed = z[ee]. Which is kind of interesting. When I started watching Stargate Atlantis that Canadian scientist would talk about needing a Z.E.D.P.M. to get them back to Earth. At the same time all the Americans were talking about how they needed a Z.P.M. to get back. Embarrassingly I think it took me 2 seasons to realize that they were talking about the same thing.

But I'm sure that isn't the case with a lot of Americans. As I mentioned in some other thread, the thing about Canadian English is that it sounds EXACTLY like the American General dialect except for about a dozen or so common words. And because they're so similar, those dozen or so words stick out like sore thumbs to a lot of us. More so than they would if those pronunciations were part of a more foreign sounding English dialect like Cockney, Aussie, Scots, New Yorker, Newfie or any of the various Southern dialects. Those pronunciations certainly aren't wrong any more than the General American pronunciation is wrong (indeed spelling usually indicates that the Canadian pronunciation is probably closer to the original pronunciation) but they sound wrong to us. It'd probably be like hearing a fellow Canadian say, "I would like tomAHtos on my potAHtoes and a tall glass of mEHlk please," (assuming Canadians pronounce those words: tomAYto, potAYto and mILk of course).I'm sure American viewers will get used to it given enough time.

Anyway, great video!
Unless you're Julian Smith, I thought there wasn't any other way to pronounce "Milk." I mean seriously, thats like pronouncing "walk" or "tall" differently. I mean...is there really any other way? There's only four letters!

This was a great video guys! I wasn't laughing but I thought it was awesome and amazing! James' acting at the end was great, and even though I saw the twist coming, I loved it! It was a great episode, the music really helped sell the stinger!

I usually just make up names and addresses but I love the way Jer says "AAAA AAAAA." It reminds me of an episode of "Are You Being Served" where they were substituting someone's name for "Err err" when singing the happy birthday song.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Sorry it took so long to get round to watching this- worth the wait as always, I loved the Matrix style interrogation.

Fair play to both Jer and James for doing such a great job. Paul's writing is awesome!!
I would love to see this become its own mini series within LRR like Commodore Hustle.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
Vohn_exel said:
Unless you're Julian Smith, I thought there wasn't any other way to pronounce "Milk." I mean seriously, thats like pronouncing "walk" or "tall" differently. I mean...is there really any other way? There's only four letters!
I wouldn't have thought so either. Someone said it on the Sarah Silverman Show (whom she promptly made fun of) and the person I was watching it with said he hated when people pronounce milk that way. So I guess it must be a real thing.

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
AquaAscension said:
haha... I laughed a few times, but I was thrown off slightly by the blatant Matrix parodying. For a bit, I thought the sketch would go in a completely different direction. Just seemed like it was missing something but was able to keep me laughing despite that. On a final side note/thought: the music playing at the end was very good. Can anyone tell me who that was by?
I don't know if this has been answered yet, and it if has I apologize. However, if you watch the credits you will learn that the music was made for this video by the very talented Bradley Raynes. Or Rains. I'm not sure how to spell it, and the video doesn't seem to want to load for me.

So, Steve, how did the Superbowl look in fluburt?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Yankeedoodles said:
Vohn_exel said:
I wouldn't have thought so either. Someone said it on the Sarah Silverman Show (whom she promptly made fun of) and the person I was watching it with said he hated when people pronounce milk that way. So I guess it must be a real thing.
I think people invent ways to say things up just so they can :p

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheEnglishman said:
Damn, I've probably enraged a lot of inteligence agencies over the years.

Amusing episode.
Just stay away from QWERTY ST for a while. I hear there's a big crackdown coming.

Anyway, I smell sequel.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
the best part is that I JUST rewatched the Matrix last night

"It seems you've been living a double life..."