LoadingReadyRun: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
thimblyjoe said:
Megido said:
Digikid said:
Megido said:
Digikid said:
Meh...when I heard the song was rap I turned it off in disgust.
Yay for closed-mindedness!
Not at all. I just hate rap. It is AWFUL and stands for:

R.ejects
A.ttempting
P.oetry

LOL!!!!!!!!!
Rap has a much deeper, intricate history than all of the commercialized b.s. that gets cranked out, and held up on a pedestal today would have you belive. It is also very closely tied with African American culture, so thanks for the indirect racism, pal.
You know... a lot of people dislike rap in its current form. Just because they say they dislike rap doesn't mean that they dislike all African Americans. That's like saying that because you don't like Manischewitz wine (which most jews can't stand) you don't like Jews. It just doesn't hold up to standards of logic.

Yes, rap in its current form is awful. Yes, it has its roots in African American Culture. I find that the closer back to those roots you get, the better the music. Rap, in its current form, is really an insult to those roots in my opinion. Does that mean I hate African Americans? No.
You're right, it wasn't racist, and I didn't really think it was. Honestly I didn't expect the race card to be taken seriously via the internet anyway.

As for rap, I don't think it's fair to condemn the entire genre based solely on what gets played on the radio/tv. There are plenty of rappers in the world who don't conform to the stereotypical, mass media model of what rap is so readily seen as. Even a few of the ones who do can produce good songs sometimes. Saying rap sucks is like saying books/movies/video games/etc. suck because you experienced a few bad ones.

rafiqofthemany

Apr 14, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
rafiqofthemany said:
RvLeshrac said:
rafiqofthemany said:
RvLeshrac said:
rafiqofthemany said:
Decabo said:
rafiqofthemany said:
Decabo said:
rafiqofthemany said:
actually giraffes have long necks to combat other males the leaves on trees is just a plus
You have it backwards, giraffes evolved to reach the tops of the trees. Using it to find a mate is just a bonus. This is what Richard Dawkins said on the Colbert Report.
yeah well explain that to my evolution professor, while giraffes sometimes eat leaves from the top of the trees they mainly eat plants closer to the ground including during the dry season when leaves are harder to come by, on the other hand males who win in combat are more likely to mate and the male with the longer neck is more likely to win
I don't know what's funnier, the fact that you got offended that I referenced someone extremely knowledgeable on the subject to disprove you, or the fact that you're suggesting giraffes can only eat from one food source. If it'll help unbunch your panties, let's just say it came from multiple sources.
i didn't say that they only eat from one source they do eat high leaves but not as often as lower ones, and just cause one scientist says something doesn't make it right, most modern scientist hold the neck as a weapon viewpoint
Actually, the majority of modern scientists hold the view which Dawkins expressed: multiple pressures resulted in the evolution of the giraffe's neck.

Further, the fact that they are able to eat the leaves at the tops of trees doesn't imply that they prefer eating from the tops of the trees, just that they CAN. In times of a food shortage, this is an obvious advantage, but when food is plentiful, they may prefer the taste of the shrubbery lower to the ground.
well yes of course there are multiple pressures at work and the food reach is a plus its just that the main force was mate competition or sexual selection as darwin called if your going to invoke old C D. Its just that when looking at the evolutionary orgin of an adaptation one must make sure to look for the correct answer. while a trait may seem like it developed for a particular reason it is simply a coincidental advantage, the real proven force is mate competition in this situation
The only individuals who tout the theory of sexual selection as the primary reason for the evolution of the giraffe's neck are either creationists or glory-hounds (Simmons et al). All of the research on the subject for the last 100 years has led to this conclusion.

You cannot simply overturn a century of good science with a few biased studies which are based on variable populations (Simmons).

Additionally, the ability to reach new source of nourishment is always a primary evolutionary 'goal.' Since the giraffe's neck is responsible for one of its primary evolutionary advantages, it *cannot* be a primarily sexually-selected trait, as sexually-selected traits are, by definition, of limited use in survival.
1. i like that you cited info but never said were it came from
2. i didn't realize that sexual selection was a view held by creationists you know since they tend to hate all methods of evolution
3. a century of good science didn't involve quite as extensive studies as the sexual selection ones
4. sexual selection trumps natural selection, case in point the peacock
1. Not worth addressing, since we're on *the internet*.
2. The view is held by "intelligent design" proponents because it "refutes" a prime example of selective pressure.
3. Mountains of mediocre studies which have consistent, verifiable results trump a few superficially good studies which do not hold up to extended scrutiny.
4. You prove the point when citing the peacock: The peacock's tail feathers are purely decorative, serving no other purpose. Thus, they are a sexually selected trait.
1. i think it is worth addressing as i want to know were you got your info
2. sexual selection is an evolutionary force which darwin wrote about o say its a helps creationists is just wrong
3. no it doesn't when they don't study long enough to get all the facts right
4. i said the peacock cause it is the prime suspect of sexual selection, adaptations for one thing can have other benefits but they are coincidental benefits, when studying you need to be careful in judgeing what its original intention was and now it looks like combat

Jallis370

Mar 2, 2009
Don't ever rap agan... It's even worse than those you respond to.

But the whole idea and lyrics were brilliant.

redstranger

Jul 16, 2009
i just have to say that any video that is about juggalos and devolves on the forums to an indepth discussion on the nature of evolution involving a girraffe's neck is well worth the time and effort and gives me renewed hope in humanity. thanks guys!

Woem

May 28, 2009
GrahamS said:
Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

A scientist's rebuttal to the Insane Clown Posse [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs].

Become a fan on Facebook! [http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/LoadingReadyRun/297238451731]

Watch Video
Awesome! And Tally did an excellent job as well :)

Roguey

Nov 10, 2009
"but why would someone have a child with you? It's a miracle!"

great line!

Also if you play tally's part backwards it says "Tesla is still alive"

great work guys

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
ICP clearly don't spend enough time on wikipedia. It holds all the answers to the universe!

I loved your video. Not only was it amsusing as hell, but it was so well produced!

Serafis

Mar 24, 2010
Paul kinda looked like Bill Nye. :D
Of course, science is...incredibly difficult to understand. lol

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
Excellent! A lot of people have been ripping on ICP recently. Pretty much everything I see is pretty much gold.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
if you don't get it, you probabaly ought to watch this:

-m
Oh dear... Those are quite possibly the stupidest and saddest 4 minutes of anything ever to go public that involved neither Sarah Palin or George Bush...

...Goddamn...

Sketch was hilarious though.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Nightfalke said:
For another rebuttal, see They Might Be Giants:

For posting a They Might Be Giants video, you automatically gain my respect.

On topic, as I saw the original video earlier courtesy of the TV Tropes So Bad it's Horrible page, I found this rather amusing, and might consider watching the rest of the series because of this.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
BIG LOL at the Blaze ya Dead Homie, Colton Grundy reference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YieNOt3zIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFawIBGjv6Q

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, that song was really bad.

I get the whole "let us gaze in awe at the sublime nature of the natural world" thing, but asking how "fucking magnets" work isn't exactly the most articulate way of expressing that idea.

Well done rebuttal though. Well needed to counter this asinine nonsense.