LoadingReadyRun: Wizard Chat

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
This was really fun, I would like to see more in the future. Maybe one every few months, when you guys don't have that much time to film something bigger.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Staff user myself.

I can see this sketch being part of an on-going story.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
This should become a series!
It has infinite potential, and can host a ton of inside jokes from all magical source material you can think of :D

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Oh yay! Paul grew his beard back! Hm... Strange... It's a lot shorter than it was then, though. Ah, it's probably still growing in! :D

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Akytalusia said:
sorry dragonsoul, but a staff doubles as a walking stick, and as an experienced nomad, i can say without reserve that you're going to appreciate that benefit if you're the adventuring type, and that benefit will outweigh the slight edge possessed by wands. however, you make a fair general use point for more homebody types.
True, when I heard Dragonsoul's advice, my familiar was squeaking in disgust
(needed to zap him, to shut him up- thank you for causing domestic violence BTW)

Listen Tholmrose, I don't question your experience, but you seem rather... scholar-ish type
I don't know exact details of the battle with Naburius, but from what I've heard you had plenty of cannon fodder to dispatch on it, while you prepared spell
It is good and all, but some of us prefer traveling alone (by "alone" I mean with familiar or golem, of course), and in these cases you need something that can double as weapon
Dagger is great (especially for sacrifices), but since we aren't warriors or assassins, most of us lack reflexes to pull it out fast enough (learned it the hard way, sadly)
So staff is much better choice for cracking some undead skulls
Not to mention the ability to provide additional magical power (best models can even double the spell output), while wands provide only the output the wizard is capable of

Of course I always carry around (and by "I carry around" I mean my familiar) wand for complex and delicate spells, because I admit that casting some spells with staff is like dissecting animals with woodcutter's axe.
But in day-to-day situations nothing can be better than good strong staff

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I'm glad that Kathleen was able to get her dream of Wizard Chat realized although I doubt the authenticity of that Gandalf wannabe on the left, I wanna see some credentials.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
nuba km said:
DVS BSTrD said:
How DARE you go against the book of Opassisak? You're destroying the sanctity of Wizarding and undermining the institution of Occult style! There will be anarchy in the streets! Next thing you know apprentices will be going around BARE HEADED!

And Paul should keep that beard.
well I am just going to go and say that having a large hat just makes you more of a target on the battlefield, infact I normally wear a helmet instead of a hat. it is pointless to follow a tradition unless there is a good reason behind it, it is also wizards like you who ask 'wand or staff' why not go for a totem, magic gauntlet, deck of cards or even bare hand for the particularly skilled.
Maintaining traditions are what made Avalon great! I bet you're one of those Bleeding scroll divination types who think we should give the illegal Wiccan immigrants free healing potions!
Great wizards is what made avalon great, and those wizards took risks. Have you ever fought a card using wizards, they are hard to predict and will very quickly fatigue you if your not careful. I am actually a battle mage and I have seen enough combat to tell you that hat is not useful for anything more then making it easier to set your hair and by extension beard on fire. You probably don't even pay your thrull minions. Also healing potions are a dim a dozen.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
And as if the perennial sniping between the wand and staff camps weren't enough, we're now hearing reports of false staves turning up in discount and pawn shops. They're actually just lengths of completely ordinary wood with wands inside. Because the embedded wand is genuine, they pass most rudimentary authenticity tests, and will actually perform up to a point. But you end up with the power disadvantage of a wand, with a dexterity disadvantage of a full staff.

Most of these fakes appear to be coming from the Eastern Realms from opportunists working "fourth shift" at the staffwright shops. Not all staves from the Eastern Realms are fraudulent (two of history's finest staffwrights are located there), but inexperienced buyers should exercise exceptional caution.

Silverback91

Oct 5, 2010
As more of an adventuring sort myself, I do prefer the feel of a good staff and hooded robe, but that's mostly for convenience and for remaining relatively anonymous, especially around areas that are less friendly to us Wizard types. To that end, I also have a sword strapped to my side as well. Mostly for decoration, but I must say it has come in handy before :).

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Now I respect merlin as much as the next magic user, but lets face it he was very old fashioned he wasn't that respectful when it came to witches and he hardly had the most open minded opinion when it came to female wizards, just because they can't grow facial hair doesn't mean they can't cast good spells. I do say higher enchantment buffs is fine for the wizard who provides ranged support, but a helmet is second to non when it comes to the old problem of axe to the face which is a big problem for those mages who fight in the front. Thrull should be paid like any other employee you don't ask dwarfs to fight for equal payment.

Jan 12, 2012
How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!? It's just shoddy journalism is what it is; in my millennia, you kids would have been set to scrubbing cauldrons for a week for such insolence.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Just wanted to let you know that the Photoshop Wizard poster was not lost on everyone. Great video.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!? It's just shoddy journalism is what it is; in my millennia, you kids would have been set to scrubbing cauldrons for a week for such insolence.
I think many find it difficult to handle orbs but they have the advantage of multipal types being in sue at a single time for much greater spell variety.

DVS BSTrD said:
nuba km said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Now I respect merlin as much as the next magic user, but lets face it he was very old fashioned he wasn't that respectful when it came to witches and he hardly had the most open minded opinion when it came to female wizards, just because they can't grow facial hair doesn't mean they can't cast good spells. I do say higher enchantment buffs is fine for the wizard who provides ranged support, but a helmet is second to non when it comes to the old problem of axe to the face which is a big problem for those mages who fight in the front. Thrull should be paid like any other employee you don't ask dwarfs to fight for equal payment.
Dwarves are a key ally in the war on goblin terror. Their kingdoms occupy a tenuous and strategically invaluable position in the Middle Mountain Range. They deserve all the aid we can give them and should never be criticized for anything. Did I ever tell you I spent my practical application semester at the Academy working in a mythril mine?
what were you studying? Also I have fought along many good dwarfs, I wasn't criticising them I was merely pointing out thrull should be treated like other races.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Paul, you look like a Scottish Jesus.

Also, I'm on the staff camp myself. It can double as a walking stick on those muddy forest hikes, and if need be it can make a great improvised blunt melee weapon. Can you imagine getting hit in the ol' crystal balls with an oak staff?

Walk softly, and carry a big stick.