LoadingReadyRun: Wizard Chat

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
I can't believe I never realized that Aubrey de Grey must be immortal already, on account of being a wizard.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wands, staves, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! Unless you can transform one to the other, then something else, then anything goes.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Wands, staves, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! Unless you can transform one to the other, then something else, then anything goes.
I actually hide both a ritual dagger and a wand within my staff. That way I have access to all of my tools on the go.

Utili-stick is the most ingenious tool every devised for traveling wizardry.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Meh, both wands and staffs have their uses.

A good staff is much more expensive, but it can handle way more force. Wand is cheaper, easier and more suited for finely detailed work.

Me, I'm specializing in necromancy, so I'm just going to stick with my staff. I use the shrunken heads and other enchanted objects to control the magical current, the staff is just there to direct that to right direction.
I understand that if you use your staff/wand to directly gather the mana and to give the power form right there, it matters much more...

My biggest problem with fashion is getting the smell out!

nuba km said:
or even bare hand for the particularly skilled.
It's fine for spells that don't use much mana, but anything above level 5 on the Veles-scale, you really don't want your skin to be the surface for the plane-transition of energy.
That being said, the weavers of illusions do some crazy stuff with just a tiny amount of mana and bare hands...

vxicepickxv said:
Darth_Payn said:
I actually hide both a ritual dagger and a wand within my staff. That way I have access to all of my tools on the go.
Isn't there a risk of the mana-charges interfering with each other, then?
I guess it's fine if they're synchronious, but if they are, why carry more than one anyway?

I might be wrong, obviously. Seeing how I'm a necromancer and so constantly use heavily opposing forces. Some of my crystals used to capture souls get interference really easily, so I need to keep them shielded from all of my other equipment.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Pft... fuck both staves AND wands... for the hip young wizard, it's clearly a light, but durable rune engraved sword.

Blackout62

Dec 24, 2008
Oh for the love of- Now gentlemagi, it is clear that the guest's pro-wand argument was only given to incite fiery discourse such as this, we are meant to talk of fashion. Now, I have recently purchased a new cloak that I've needed hemmed and my question is: For the mantled hood that accompanies the cloak do I have it hemmed to maintain the original proportion of fabric length or do I leave it as is? The mantle isn't to the length of being uncomfortable but when seen in the reflecting pool it just seems so long. Also, what's the deal with the organic alchemy movement?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Punch You said:
In addition to what you said, I'm always angered whenever they say that every wizard needs a beard. You try becoming an 11th evolution biomancer and see if you can avoid the occasional pyromantic crab cancer or two. Plus, I'm 26% reptile! You have any idea how ridiculous I'd look with mammalian hair? I was looking for real fashion tips to make up for my current out-of-place dolphin fin, but this radio show just proved to be as unhelpful as ever.
I really have to agree with this... If one were to examine my profile, they would note that I don't even HAVE a face for which a beard to grow...

I mean... come on!

and to build upon my previous post as one might build upon a standard working enchantment (one layer at a time), I was a diligent staff user for years. It's great for walking around... but eventually your hand just gets tired of grasping all day long. That's why I switched to the sword. It hangs from your hip, you can intimidate the lay with it, AND it holds almost as much power as my old staff.

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
Blackout62 said:
Oh for the love of- Now gentlemagi, it is clear that the guest's pro-wand argument was only given to incite fiery discourse such as this, we are meant to talk of fashion. Now, I have recently purchased a new cloak that I've needed hemmed and my question is: For the mantled hood that accompanies the cloak do I have it hemmed to maintain the original proportion of fabric length or do I leave it as is? The mantle isn't to the length of being uncomfortable but when seen in the reflecting pool it just seems so long. Also, what's the deal with the organic alchemy movement?
I think both are acceptable. The hood, while part of the cloak, need not adhere to any hemming you need elsewhere. If it seems long to you, hemming is acceptable, but take care not to get it too short, because then it looks rather silly.

As for organic alchemy... Ugh. Don't get me started on that nonsense.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Bah! Youth today with their wands and staves. Back in the day, we used our hands and nothing more! We also wore animal pelts and no hats at all. All we had to accessorise with were wood and bone trinkets!

Captcha: leave britney alone. Who is this britney you speak of, oh aetherguard homunculus?

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Wands/Staves, bah. Wasn't there a time when wizards simply held a spellbook in one had and cast out the other? (totally didn't see the comment above me before I posted)

Also, love Paul's costume but his eyebrows are a tad noticeably brown.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I think it worth mentioning that all the Magi of Escapology should scholor it up within our guild:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Aethernet-Wizards-Warlock-and-Witches-guild

Graham_LRR said:
STARTING WITH YOU!

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
I'm a wand user myself but that's because I do mainly fine detail work rather than any ideological commitment to the wand camp.

However, leaving the wand vs stave argument to one side for a moment I'd like to know about magic rings: How many is too many? and should I be looking for large single cabochon showy items or would that be too gaudy?

Lurklen

Feb 2, 2010
I really enjoyed this. And that beard really fit paul. Also if you do this again dive into the creepier kinds of wizards, with questions/topics like how many skulls is too many? Entrails, pools of blood or scream powered magic mirror which is the right choice for scrying?

Mkvenner

Jun 12, 2010
So would one say that a wizard with a very big hat is compensating for something?

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Darth_Payn said:

Utili-stick is the most ingenious tool every devised for traveling wizardry.
Yeah, what they don't realise is that you need to make the size work for you rather than you working against it.

Rytel

Aug 2, 2010
The video was good.

This thread, meanwhile, is amazing. I feel like my faith in everything has been restored.

(Although we probably shouldn't give much mind to faith. We're wizards, not clerics, after all.)