Looking for a depressing game.

MalkavianLunatic

Nov 8, 2010
Personally, I never really fully recovered from 'Shadow of the Colossus', but not sure that would fit the bill for the OP. *thinks* Red Dead Redemption was kind of a kick in the feels too.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
To the OP, after just reading the thread title, I was going to recommend an old adventure game called "I have no mouth and I must scream." The starting premise is that an insane supercomputer wiped out all but five human beings whom it keeps alive eternally to torment (motivated out of sheer hatred). It was probably one of the first games to implement a moral choice system.

Since you seem to like shooters, this one might not be up your alley though.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
VideoGameMasochist said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silent Hill 2 is the most depressing game I've ever played. It begins with the story. Everything else feels like a reflection on the story.

I was just thinking and Demon's Souls is a pretty depressing game, right? Every time I find one of those "I want to go home" messages players leave they feel very close at heart. Especially at the Tower of Latria and the Valley of Defilement. And everytime you encounter these fuckers:

I'm gonna have to check this game out. Should I play SH1 first?
I'm going to second silent hill 2 as one of the darkest, smartest, most emotional titles ever made. It warrants two play throughs to really appreciate fully, and it's one of those stories that becomes more genius the more you think about it. Silent hill 1 is underated, and is definitely worth checking out if you decide that you enjoyed the second game. I was going to recommend both titles before
Novgorod beat me to it.

However, there is a caviate I wanted to add. Make sure you either buy the original games, or download them from psn or wherever. Don't get the HD re-releases. They ruined the atmosphere, and had the audacity to remove or alter sections of the game for seemingly arbitrary reasons. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I'm very suprised noone has mentioned the games Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light. Stick these incredibly atmospheric games onto Russian speaking, English subtitles mode and enjoy the gloomy and oppressively depressing atmosphere of them...

Another one I think you'd like, if you have the patience to patch it up the wazoo is Vampire: The Masquerade. (Bloodlines) Even the Cainites who hold dominion over the world, with all their power and machinations cannot stop the fact that the world as we know it is just a horrible place to live. Especially when clan Tzimizsce get involved...

Hope this all helps.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Gunner 51 said:
I'm very suprised noone has mentioned the games Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light. Stick these incredibly atmospheric games onto Russian speaking, English subtitles mode and enjoy the gloomy and oppressively depressing atmosphere of them...
I may have. Although I'd say that CoP is still the best of that niche. Last Light coming a close second. There's also some fun mods you can mess around with for CoP, or even STALKER:Shadow of Chernobyl.
Another one I think you'd like, if you have the patience to patch it up the wazoo is Vampire: The Masquerade. (Bloodlines) Even the Cainites who hold dominion over the world, with all their power and machinations cannot stop the fact that the world as we know it is just a horrible place to live. Especially when clan Tzimizsce get involved...

Hope this all helps.
Bloodlines is also excellent. Protip with the patching: Steam updates change things which need to be corrected when launching. There's a file you have to copy in the patching process from another folder, you have to do it after the updates. Got me for ages, it was a nightmare.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Loonyyy said:
Gunner 51 said:
I may have. Although I'd say that CoP is still the best of that niche. Last Light coming a close second. There's also some fun mods you can mess around with for CoP, or even STALKER:Shadow of Chernobyl.

Hope this all helps.
Bloodlines is also excellent. Protip with the patching: Steam updates change things which need to be corrected when launching. There's a file you have to copy in the patching process from another folder, you have to do it after the updates. Got me for ages, it was a nightmare.
I admit that I've never played the Stalker games, but after hearing everyone rave about them - I really ought to go grab it on Good Old Games.

Though when it comes to Vampire the Masquerade, I would give my left nut to see that re-released for the current generation. And if it comes bug-free, even better. But thanks for the pro-tip, the next time I re-download it - I'm going to give it a whirl.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Gunner 51 said:
Loonyyy said:
Gunner 51 said:

Hope this all helps.
I admit that I've never played the Stalker games, but after hearing everyone rave about them - I really ought to go grab it on Good Old Games.
They're very worth playing, but SoC has aged badly, but there are some nice mods that make it much better, with updated graphics and effects. Call of Pripyat's still pretty good, there are also mods, including overhauls and I think entire new games built out of it. Clear Sky is usually avoided, it's the weakest entry, and has some bugs and gameplay issues that most people rather avoid.
Though when it comes to Vampire the Masquerade, I would give my left nut to see that re-released for the current generation. And if it comes bug-free, even better. But thanks for the pro-tip, the next time I re-download it - I'm going to give it a whirl.
If your reboot launched an entire series of sequels that'd be even better. I haven't even finished my first run and it's an incredible game. I have to go back and finish my inaugural playthrough.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Loonyyy said:
They're very worth playing, but SoC has aged badly, but there are some nice mods that make it much better, with updated graphics and effects. Call of Pripyat's still pretty good, there are also mods, including overhauls and I think entire new games built out of it. Clear Sky is usually avoided, it's the weakest entry, and has some bugs and gameplay issues that most people rather avoid.

If your reboot launched an entire series of sequels that'd be even better. I haven't even finished my first run and it's an incredible game. I have to go back and finish my inaugural playthrough.
*Chuckles* I think you have me sold on picking up Stalker in the new year. But I'll be sure to give the mods a go once I finished with the vanilla game.

But as for Vampire the Masquerade, I don't know if you got this far - but putting the smackdown on Andre the Tzimisce will put a smile on your face. And remember, never trust a Tremere. :p

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Gunner 51 said:
*Chuckles* I think you have me sold on picking up Stalker in the new year. But I'll be sure to give the mods a go once I finished with the vanilla game.

But as for Vampire the Masquerade, I don't know if you got this far - but putting the smackdown on Andre the Tzimisce will put a smile on your face. And remember, never trust a Tremere. :p
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'll remember the advice about the Tremere. Last difficult battle was the pestilence vamps. They were nasty, I was so glad when I finished off Bishop Vick. I think I'm going to fix my patch and play that tonight.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Bat Vader said:
I have to recommend the The Cat Lady. It can get pretty depressing at times. It is one of my favorites.
I'm really glad someone's mentioned this one already. The game is about depression for a start, but has a beautiful yet unsettling art design that really creates a bleak atmosphere.

Essentially The Cat Lady is about a woman who commits suicide, but is denied being able to die. Instead she must find and kill five 'parasites' or psychopathic murderers in order to move on. It's an indie title but the voice acting and atmosphere is just brilliant.

It's very different in style to the game you mentioned as an artistic point and click horror, but it's one of the best to offer. I really recommend it.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
My recommendation for true horror is Fate of the World. It plays like a card game where you are enacting global policy in order to try and avoid human crisis - such as running out of fossil fuel, or climate collapse, or starvation due to over-population. Choosing between protecting civilians by investing in security operations in one country, or avoiding food riots and starvation by a long-term policy of sterilization sure depresses me.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
The White Hunter said:
Probably not what you're looking for but Wolfenstein: The New Order made me feel feels.

Also let me stab space nazis in the face on the moon. Best of both worlds really.
i've not got too far into this one yet, but the decision in the first mission was probably the hardest choice i've had to make in games for years...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Voulan said:
Bat Vader said:
I have to recommend the The Cat Lady. It can get pretty depressing at times. It is one of my favorites.
I'm really glad someone's mentioned this one already. The game is about depression for a start, but has a beautiful yet unsettling art design that really creates a bleak atmosphere.

Essentially The Cat Lady is about a woman who commits suicide, but is denied being able to die. Instead she must find and kill five 'parasites' or psychopathic murderers in order to move on. It's an indie title but the voice acting and atmosphere is just brilliant.

It's very different in style to the game you mentioned as an artistic point and click horror, but it's one of the best to offer. I really recommend it.
It's kinda depressing how under the radar The Cat Lady is. I know a good amount of people like it yet they seem to be very few and far between.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I was ready to tell you to play "Actual Sunlight", but you want a normal game to make you depress.
Let me check the games I played:

Disgaea series with all seriousness.
Yes, it is a Turn-Base Strategy game, with a lot of comedy and cute anime characters, but when you reach at the end of each game.....sh*ts get real, because behind in every single comedy scenario you see in these games, there is a "dark" side.

Disgaea 2 and Disgaea 3 was freaking dark man!!!!!

Specifically in Disgaea 3.
I was like "Oh silly you!!! You want to kill your father because he broke your save files of 100 years of gameplay!!! It will be a nice ride!!!". But then you are like "Oh motherf*cking god!!! why did you let this happen?!?!?!?WHY YOU PIECE OF SH*T!!!! WWWHHYYYY"

Heck, every game which start very cute and very childlike, and then start get VERY VERY VERY serious, are the games you are looking.
I don't mean of course to be on purpouse because we are talking about the Yandere games.

Also Saya no Uta
I don't care, just play it.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Bat Vader said:
Voulan said:
Bat Vader said:

It's kinda depressing how under the radar The Cat Lady is. I know a good amount of people like it yet they seem to be very few and far between.
The Cat Lady was one of the "10/10" games I ever played. It deserve a lot more attention indeed.
Also the ending was really f*cked up.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
SweetShark said:
Bat Vader said:
Voulan said:
Bat Vader said:

The Cat Lady was one of the "10/10" games I ever played. It deserve a lot more attention indeed.
There are a couple of different endings. There is a Golden Ending. It is pretty difficult to get but it is really worth it.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Bat Vader said:
SweetShark said:
Bat Vader said:
Voulan said:
Bat Vader said:

There are a couple of different endings. There is a Golden Ending. It is pretty difficult to get but it is really worth it.
I specifically mean

the Last Maggot you must kill, the "Eye of Adam" if I remember correctly. I didn't expected to be that sad...but in the end he killed even his father...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
suitepee7 said:
The White Hunter said:
Probably not what you're looking for but Wolfenstein: The New Order made me feel feels.

Also let me stab space nazis in the face on the moon. Best of both worlds really.
i've not got too far into this one yet, but the decision in the first mission was probably the hardest choice i've had to make in games for years...
It gave me heavier feels later on. Overall a damn fine game, solid 8/10. The latter third of the game goes on a touch long though.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Going to second The Walking Dead Game by Telltale Games. They exaggerate how much your choice mean, but it is still a fun and dark game. Many parts were touching, sad, shocking, and one moment even brought some tears to my eyes.

It's a bit of an oldie, but Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption kind of fits. Your character is a knight fighting in a crusade who, against his will, gets turned into a Vampire. He's torn over what he's become, what he views as an evil unholy monster and his love for a nun that nursed him back to health for tempting her from her vows. And Bloodlines isn't a sequel, but in the same universe is more modern, and is a damned fine game especially with the fan patch.

From what I've seen of This War of Mine, iy should fit that request as well.