Lord of the Rings Online Going Free-to-Play

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
the only thing putting me off was having to pay two subscriptions so now i probably will get it

Doomdiver

Mar 30, 2009
I played the beta. Loved it back then. Couldn't afford to pay a subscription now. Now I can play it again! Hurrah!

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Hmm, interesting. I may give it a go. I did have a bit of interest in it back when it was first released, but there was no way I could afford to subscribe to two MMOs and I wasn't going to end my EVE Online one for it. No real reason to not at least try it now.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
I hope the characters transition from P2P to F2P.
I recently stopped because I didn't want to pay the subscription anymore, but if the characters transition I may just start playing again.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sir Bob said:
Now all we need is Age of Conan to be free as well.
I really hope it does, I got a level 50 something character on that and I would love to play again, but I dont want to pay.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Korten12 said:
Sir Bob said:
Now all we need is Age of Conan to be free as well.
I really hope it does, I got a level 50 something character on that and I would love to play again, but I dont want to pay.
Judging by the amount of active servers AoC has, as well as the amount of players, it seems likely that they will soon follow suit.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Huh? I thought LotRO was doing quite good, with a relatively large (like, 2 million players worldwide?) and stable user-base.

Strange to see it go F2P all of a sudden. But I'm not one to complain, I'll play it a bit (not sure how long or how much) for sure as I enjoyed it. It really captures the feeling of the LotR universe, especially The Shire was fantastically well done.

I just hope it won't mean a decrease in quality.
Suki the Cat said:
Hm. Well, I'm guessing it's much like WoW, so I'm not gonna waste my time on it. You enjoy yourselves tho =3.
There's a lot of difference in the MMO genre, so I wouldn't be too quick to judge. However, in this case you're indeed right. It too is PvE focussed although I really enjoyed the en-masse PvP battles. It's worth a look if you like the LotR universe, it's a very beautiful and well-crafted game and, as I said above, captures the feeling of LotR really well. But if PvE isn't your thing, it won't last you very long. But who cares when it's free right? Every enjoyable minute is granted.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
Cowabungaa said:
Huh? I thought LotRO was doing quite good, with a relatively large and stable user-base.
I don't think it is a matter so much of not doing good as it is they want to do even better. F2P games increase subscriber numbers by millions in many cases and often people will pay more than the average subscription. They have seen incredible success doing this with DDO. Asia developers have seen this type of success for quite some time. Wizard101 has millions of kids playing and paying each month.

While I am a lifetime subscriber, I still look forward to seeing what cool things they will offer in the store and in the future with this.

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
I played the free trial a few years ago. Unfortunatly, it wouldnt accept my card details, so I couldn't continue. Very happy that its coming for free.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Mioght give this a play if its free. I always did think it looked fun just didnt want to shell out for it

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
As a DDO and LotrO player this announcement makes me really excited! LotrO is a great game but the lack of low level players makes it hard for new people.

I am also happy that Europe is included this time!

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
Well, I played this game for 7 months, and I quit because although I liked the game, the fact I was paying for it made me feel like I had to play, as opposed to being able to play it whenever I wanted to. So this new is, to me, fantastic.

I will be able to return to my characters, and kin, for free. I just hope it happens soon, as opposed to the end of the year, because I do plan to play The Old Republic

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
So LotRO is free now. I have a few friends who paid 200 bucks for a lifetime subscription and I'm going to join them for free. Oh this won't go over well.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
well they certaintly have one more player, I shall be Scrambles the semi slow hobbit of death!