Lost in Spaaace! (RP Thread)

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
"Send security? Maybe you should scan Auxiliary Engine control again, we've been told it has no air or gravity, so unless you send a bot or someone in a suit, it'll be a short trip." Jake said, remembering the message from earlier. "I'll meet your group in the mess hall, I can't speak for Marcus and Johann, we've been making our own decisions up till this point. Can you upload a map with a path to my room onto my PDA, Codex? After your meet-up, I need to grab some supplies from it." He eyed his PSS, waiting for it to fully charge.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"We were in Dead Faster-Than-Light Travel. I had to expend some of the remaining fuel to stop us. If I were to hit something at this speed, there would be no Aurora. Please take a moment to exit the Zero-Gravity environment, your Personal Shield Systems are all running below optimal levels, and must be recharged. Please find a newly activated Shield system, and place your PSS module on the magnetic contact surface to charge it. Emergency protocol "Bastion" enabled. Please navigate to Mess Hall 4, and await further instruction."

Eli groaned as the AI gave its announcement. After he had finished with the rad. leak, he?d flopped heavily into a nearby chair. Prior to the attack, he had been working sixteen hour days trying to keep on schedule for Aurora's launch, and that combined with all of what had just happened left in a severely fatigued state. What all this meant was that when the AI hit the brakes, he?d been sound asleep.

Propelling himself across the now gravityless room, the first thing he did was check the engines. Well thank fuck for small miracles. He thought, see that there were no new warning lights. "Guess I'll go meet up with everyone else." Launching off back the way he'd come, something that the AI had said was bugging him...We were in Dead Faster-Than-Light Travel... "Holy Shit!" He yelled, as he pulled himself back into the lift shaft. If we've been in FTL this whole time? "Where the fuck are we?" Tapping on his PDA as he went up, he made a note to grab Mr. Law and go do a visual of the Nav. Array, and enact repairs. Those repair bots the ship had were fine for simple jobs, but he'd always found them lacking with finicky work.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Unless you think you'll miss something, feel free to breeze on through it. I'll write in bold who it is talking to.

"Please wait John." The AI stated. Her avatar looking off to the side for a moment. "I have ran a lower level scan of the room. The heat signature appears to be a recently deceased crew-member. Apologies."

She would pause for a moment, disappointed, but then she would smile a little. "Please check your mail inbox, John. I have resent you a modified map. This map will cover the entirety of the ship, and has two additional layers you can remove once you have found your way."

------------------------

The AI would pause. Was that directed to her? "I apologize, Eli. But I am unable to answer that inquiry without specific parameters. My scans indicate the possibility of jamming, false information, or severe damage. As Engineering staff, I am permitted to notify that External Scanning Efficiency, or ESE, is at approximately 42%. 33% below the threshold where I am permitted to 'guess' at will. Please request my attention if you wish to ask any more inquiries, or to inquire about the 7 additional unread warning notices."

------------------------

It would only take about 30 seconds for the PSS modules to start flashing green, indicating that they were at full charging capacity. Once it was green, it would become active once it detected that it was close to the human body. If you wore HUD-Gear, a small pictograph of a shield would always be present in the upper corner of your view. It would appear to have two layers, with one disappearing if it got below 50%.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
[b/]"We were in Dead Faster-Than-Light Travel. I had to expend some of the remaining fuel to stop us. If I were to hit something at this speed, there would be no Aurora. Please take a moment to exit the Zero-Gravity environment, your Personal Shield Systems are all running below optimal levels, and must be recharged. Please find a newly activated Shield system, and place your PSS module on the magnetic contact surface to charge it. Emergency protocol "Bastion" enabled. Please navigate to Mess Hall 4, and await further instruction."[/b]

Iskierka groaned. The sudden shock had sent her tumbling into one of the metallic walls of the robotics lab. She had been digging through the supplies looking for a replacement HUD - a task she seemed incapable of completing - when the ship stopped. as she righted herself, pain shot through her augmented shoulder. A quick inspection reviled the impact had unclasped part of the upper arm. Standing back up, she swung her arm back into position, sending another bolt of pain back up her shoulder, reconnecting the neural link. "...ow..." she moaned out.

Her arm returned to working condition, she glanced around the room. The remaining contents had been flung around as well. Among the displaced materials was a HUD - still in relatively good condition. "At least something good came out of this." she said to herself as she grabbed the device.

Iskierka switched the device to map mode and started to leave the room. Before she could however, a glimmer caught her eye. Investigating it, she found that it was a small golden ring - burned and deformed - floating in the Zero-G environment. With a sudden panic, she "swam" over to the ring and reclaimed it, securing it to her finger. "Almost lost you, Isaac."
she said, staring at the ring.

After a long, silent moment, she shook herself from her stupor and made her way into the hallway, pushing off the walls toward Mess Hall 4, stopping only briefly to recharge her PSS.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
"Please check your mail inbox, John. I have resent you a modified map. This map will cover the entirety of the ship, and has two additional layers you can remove once you have found your way." The AI's modified map arrived in Jake's inbox immediately after the AI finished speaking.

Jake scooped up his PSS and began to put it on "Sweetheart, I realize you are probably under a lot of stress but my name is Jake, not John. Thank you for the map." The AI was clearly running several background scans, it would explain the error.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
"We were in Dead Faster-Than-Light Travel. I had to expend some of the remaining fuel to stop us. If I were to hit something at this speed, there would be no Aurora. Please take a moment to exit the Zero-Gravity environment, your Personal Shield Systems are all running below optimal levels, and must be recharged. Please find a newly activated Shield system, and place your PSS module on the magnetic contact surface to charge it. Emergency protocol "Bastion" enabled. Please navigate to Mess Hall 4, and await further instruction."

"How can the same shit happen again?" Ace asked, once again recovering from a sudden loss in gravity. The first time had been a shock but the second had been a bigger one. He had expected to stay in a gravity-sustained environment for more than a few minutes. Now being a little more used to Zero-G conditions, Ace simply pushed himself forwards using the floor and the walls instead of clinging onto something. I'm going to be ready the next time it happens I swear...

He began to charge his PSS, placing it on the magnetic contact surface. While it was charging he checked his PDA, which he now remembered he had in his case, to find where Mess Hall 4 was. He had rarely used it as he usually followed his quartet and decided not to try. "Fuck it I'll follow the Dr," Ace said as he pulled his PSS module off and continued to push off the walls.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
After getting his PSS charged David returned to the fork in the road.
"Errruuummmm...Left..."
With that he advanced though the dark hallway, weapon drawn.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus slowly rose to his feet with a slight groan, not exactly the response he wanted after restoring the A.I but at this point he'll take anything other than total A.I failure, he walked over to the PSS charging station and put his down looking at the ceiling while he waited until he was interrupted by Johann handing something to him.

"Mr. Law, please fix this for me. I imagine we will be able to navigate the ship easier if we all have a working headset."

Marcus nodded in agreement as he took the HUD-gear and looked it over.

"hmm I'll see what I can do, might be able to fix it completely right here or I might not be able to do anything without replacement parts, but we'll see how we go, you could always try asking it nicely that might work" Marcus replied as he walked over to an empty space on the terminal and placed the HUD down his helmets scanning systems indicating that it was still operational just with some systems out of order and a few broken hardware components. He opened it up and scanned it again. Finding that nothing important was broken which would mean it was beyond repair until he had some dedicated replacement parts, but only a few components were shook loose and needed to be secured back down again along with a cracked screen and a few frayed wires. He set about securing down each component with the soldering iron he got from Ellie's toolbox, to fix the wires he moved over to one of the non functional servers hunting around for some wires that were still useable, after about five minutes of searching he managed to find some and pull them out, replacing the broken wires with the new ones before closing it back up and switching it back on, the system now slightly more functional than it was before.

"I touched it up as well as I could ,it should work just fine except for the screen, can't find a replacement for that until later but it shouldn't matter" Marcus said handing the HUD back to Johann and grabbing his PSS from the charging station. "alright I'll be heading off now, I'm going to have a talk with Eli about what we should do next, Aurora could I get that same updated Map you gave Dr.Gallows and also I'd what's the status of our supplies" Marcus said walking out of the server room and towards the mess hall moving as quickly as he could.

Sigma Castell

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
"Thank you." Johann took the PSS, pocketing it with a nod in Markus' direction. "The rst of us will head to the mess hall."

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
The AI blinked on her screen for a moment as she appeared to look toward Jake. "I apologize, your ID card was corrupt, and did not initially match up with the ship manifest. I have corrected the mistake, Jake."

-----------------

Mess Hall 4 would appear to be fairly clean. It was around the middle of the ship, thankfully, where the other group was as well. Everyone would have an easy time finding their way to the 2.2 G environment that was the Mess-Hall.

It would probably one of the cleaner areas of the ship. Silver trim, white tables. The place would instill a sense of calmness somehow. Regardless, it was easy to see why the AI had chosen the place. All of the chairs and tables were bolted to the floor, preventing the previous shenanagins from moving them around, and all of the tables were clean. There were no bodies to be seen, that and excluding the kitchen, there were three easily defend-able exits.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
David entered the Mess Hall followed by Capek and Ace.
He scanned the Area and made note of the defend-able exits and a few other things.
He then holstered his gun and went to a vending machine and got a 7-Coke.
"Ahhhhh...that's the one..." He belched after taking a nice long drink.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
"This place looks fine to me..." Ace said, scanning the room. He was wondering why the seats and tables weren't floating around when he noticed they were bolted down. Genius. He really meant it, it was a brilliant idea in Ace's mind. He chose not to drink anything, he wasn't particularly quenched and he knew that drinking a soda would only make him thirstier. He pushed himself onto a seat and sat down, wondering what would happen next. Will we all make it out? Or will we all die... No that's not possible. I'm going to make it out, and so are the others. Or will they? The game can't change...

"The game can't change, the game can't change, the game can't change..." Ace muttered over and over again.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"I apologize, Eli. But I am unable to answer that inquiry without specific parameters. My scans indicate the possibility of jamming, false information, or severe damage. As Engineering staff, I am permitted to notify that External Scanning Efficiency, or ESE, is at approximately 42%. 33% below the threshold where I am permitted to 'guess' at will. Please request my attention if you wish to ask any more inquiries, or to inquire about the 7 additional unread warning notices."

"Huh? Oh sorry...I was just thinking out loud." Eli responded. Floating up the weightless lift shaft, he drifted until he saw a door marking the correct floor. Using an emergency override he opened the door, causing an amber light to start flashing in the corridor. "Well at least there's gravity here." He muttered. Pushing off the back of the shaft he transitioned into the positive g environment about as gracefully as you would expect for a man with a stiff prosthetic leg.

As he approached the Mess a thought came to him. "Codex, do you know the status of the Nav. Array airlock? I'd like to do an E.V.A. at some point to check the array." Stepping in to the hall he looked around, taking stock of the people there. "So which one of you is Marcus Law?"

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
"Scanning..." The AI started. She would switch monitors, following Eli around. "The maintenance airlocks around the Navigation Array Subsystems appear to be functioning. Notice: Please use the Tertiary Auxiliary Navigation room to program emergency navigational protocols with the assistance of Command staff if possible. Extreme Danger: No Command staff found in active state on board the ship. I will allow those who seek it temporary access to all ship controls. All actions will be logged."

----------------------------------

Once a good chunk of the group, as well as Eli was in the Mess Hall, the AI would display herself on one of the bigger monitors, normally reserved for propaganda about how great Earth is, and how well the war is going along with typical news highlights.

"Please wait, and remain comfortable in the Mess Hall. The Bastion protocol is designed to allow you to set up your own 'home base' and personal Bastion in the mid-point of the ship. I will answer all inquiries once the rest of the Active crew has entered the Mess Hall."

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Marcus and Johann began moving towards the exit of the AI server chamber, Gallows stood for a moment.

it's 10:30pm back home, that means Stacy has probably put the girls down to bed by now. Jake's heart sank, thinking about them brought all the emotion he'd been too busy to have to the surface. He and the crew could be anywhere, in a majorly damaged ship, he'd heard this scenario before on documentaries and the sort, they almost never ended well.

He thought about the surprise attack that had brought them here, what if the Martians weren't just crippling the flagship? What if they had enough power to attack the fleet? What if they were actually attempting to attack the Earth as a whole? It didn't seem possible but the thought still nagged at him. How much money have we sank into this ship to have it fail? How much of our offensive capabilities were sacrificed so we could have this flashy ship? It was a modern day Titanic.

Jake just wanted to get home, maybe to fight back, maybe they'd have to rescue the fleet, he didn't care, forget the obstacles, fuck the odds, he just wanted to hold his family again.

It wasn't much but it was the only bond he shared with his wife at the moment, he shared it across any distance.

"Well? are you coming?" Johann's voice tore Jake out of his daydream. "Yeah, yeah...I'm right behind you guys." With that Jake trotted towards the door.

Sigma Castell

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Johann walked in slience next to Markus and Gallows. He could feel a the tension wraping itself around his spine. It was an unerving experience, being in the bowels of an almost-dead ship, with just a damaged hull seperating you him from the void outside. He didnt bother trying to start a conversation; he didnt see the point of it, and one of the others would doubtless start talking soon. He fished his hip flask out of his pocket, flicked open the clasp, and took a quick draught of its contents. The alcohol burned his throat on the way down, and a slight ache started in his temples. He removed the packet of medication from his pocket, and swallowed one. The ache receded, but he knew it would be back soon.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus remained silent as he continued walking, his mind focusing entirely on what he should be doing next.

"okay first things first, meet with the rest of the crew in the mess hall, talk with Eli about what to do about the ship and then find out just exactly where in space we are, the possibility of us still being in the local solar system are all but out the window but hopefully we're not too far out"

Marcus had to keep himself distracted with his work for if he allowed his mind to wander towards thinking about the gravity of his current situation he might start to lose his mind which at this time was something he couldn't allow, so to distract himself further he selected some of his favorite music from his HUD-gear and started playing it, as always at an obscenely loud volume.

He reached the Mess hall without much trouble, stepping through the doorway quickly and sitting down at one of the tables. The fact that there were no bodies to be seen anywhere weirded him out a little but he chose not to focus on that as he waited.

"Alright, which one of you is Eli?, I need to have a chat with him about navigation" Markus inquired looking from person to person for anyone who was wearing the standard issue jumpsuit eventually spotting Eli himself.

"Oi, Eli over here, good job with the reactor, real nice of you to make sure we don't all die" Markus smiled as he waved him over, an expression that was completely hidden under his helmet.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
David leaned against the wall and began to count the number of incoming survivors.
Is this it? where there no more?... he thought to himself as he took another drink of his 7-Coke.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Iskierka saw David's face, involuntarily scrunched in a combination of disappointment and fear. It wasn't hard to see why: the mess hall was barely occupied. Still, maybe the rest were far from the hall.

"Codex: Can you give me a count of known survivors?" she inquired of the ship, dreading the answer.