LucasArts Run by "Psychopaths"

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
T said:
I'm not sure you can necessarily take things like this enitrely as presented, we are very much being given one perspective here, and this could potentially be a situation where incompetence is being mistaken for malice. That said, this is a story that screams "If you want to be a game developer, go indie!"
Nope. Any studio head calls about making sure they can get payroll every month.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
matrix3509 said:
Please people, don't act surprised at this. We've already been told that this is how publishers act on a regular basis by Brian Fargo. There is only one way to fight this bullshit. You know which way I'm talking about.
Voodoo? Is it voodoo? I'm voting for voodoo.

OT; scum-bag moves all around on the part of LucasArts if this is true. Living up to the contract on their end and then ending the relationship after the fact would have been slightly more costly, but far less scummy and left the doors open to return to them in the future if needs be. And it'd be a sight better than, y'know, intentionally destroying a company. Because you wanted to save some pocket-change.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
This isnt really news. It was obvious that something went wrong at LucasArts when they turned from a Star Wars factory into the publishing equivalent of a virus using other publishers to crank out Star Wars.

Actually i doubt it could be worse if LucasArts was actually run by Lucas himself.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
The hate I have for LucasArts right now is so immense, there are no words that I can fathom that'll explain it.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I must have spaced out there for the last 20 years. When I think of Lucas Arts I have fond memories of excellent Star Wars flight sims and adventure games. But yeah, there really hasn't been anything Lucas Arts related catching my interest in the last 10 years or so. I used to buy Lucas Arts games without thinking about it, because I knew they would be awesome.

Unfortunately that company seems to have gone down the drain and degenerated into a cheap movie-merchandising machine. The last two games I got were X-Wing Alliance and Star Wars Rebellion, both over 10 years old.
Since then, Bethesda has replaced that sweet spot in my gamer heart. A company that is truly passionate and commited to making games.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dexter111 said:
Yeah, the whole Eurogamer article is basically about how Free Radical got screwed by almost every publisher in the world. I just thought the LucasArts story was the most compelling.

Greg

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Dexter111 said:
In his very short months with LucasArts, Rodriguez actually made a deal with TellTale Games to make the Monkey Island Episodes and he also greenlighted the Money Island 1+2: Special Editions and brought Loom, The Dig and Indiana Jones to Steam (he also greenlighted Lucidity - hey you can't get all of them right :p). In fact he brought a lot of the LucasArts Lineup to Steam during that time (April 2008 - May 2010): http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released&sort_order=ASC&term=lucasarts
Don't you DARE badmouth him...
I'm still waiting on Monkey Island 3's Steam rerelease! And I could badmouth him for the TellTale Monkey Island games, good grief whoever wrote the script for those shouldn't be allowed to hold a pen if you can't even make the Monkey Island cast feel in-character. I couldn't even finish the first scene of Tales of Monkey Island because everything and everyone felt off.

(And thus, to this day I am fairly sure that everyone who calls Telltale a wonderful adventure game developer never actually played the classics)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think that's a condition exclusive to LucusArts, I think it's a pandemic that has infected the whole industry.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
matrix3509 said:
Please people, don't act surprised at this. We've already been told that this is how publishers act on a regular basis by Brian Fargo. There is only one way to fight this bullshit. You know which way I'm talking about.
I completely agree

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
LucasArts have been the weirdest fucking publisher about for a while now. This doesn't surprise me. I mean, EA and Activision are pretty shitty, but I don't know if I'd consider them outright 'weird'; there's at least a line of internal reasoning that's quite easy to follow when looking at their crap decisions.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Bolt-206 said:
I suddenly Despise LucasArts as much as EA...

They couldn't have even the smallest amount of faith that Battlefront 3 would more than make up for it's costs? 'cause it would have.
I never thought I'd say this, but I don't think even EA would stoop this low. When they kill a developer they at least get as many games out of them as they can first. They'd never slowly bleed a popular developer to death while they were in the middle of making a game that would have almost certainly been profitable.

EA are dicks, but LucasArts are dicks that don't event work properly.