LucasArts Run by "Psychopaths"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Gotta say this is pretty depressing...I've always been hoping that they'd make another SW:BF game as I really enjoyed the first 2...now I know why SW:BF3 will forever remain a pipe dream: anything that bears the name Lucas is shit. xP

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
w00tage said:
matrix3509 said:
Please people, don't act surprised at this. We've already been told that this is how publishers act on a regular basis by Brian Fargo. There is only one way to fight this bullshit. You know which way I'm talking about.
Kickstarter for Battlefront 3? To be executed by the former members of Free Radical?
That would be pretty awesome. I think Lucas Arts owns the rights to the Battlefront series so it would have to be a completely new game.

On Topic: What Lucas Arts did was just low. I used to respect them but now I have nothing but hate for them.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
canadamus_prime said:
Brad Shepard said:
canadamus_prime said:
I don't think that's a condition exclusive to LucusArts, I think it's a pandemic that has infected the whole industry.
I cant agree more, this is very true, One company does it, the next sees they can save money and does it too, and so on and so forth... makes me sick.
Yeah, and the 2 biggest offenders are EA and Activision. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was Patient Zero. The really sad part is both of them used to produce really good stuff, so did LucasArts.
Well, EA started the whole "Project 10 dollar" thing, locking parts of the retail game because people did not buy it new, yea... Prototype 2 locks the challenges and even the avatar awards for those who did not buy new.
Yeah, I don't think the problem started there. I've been feeling like something has been off this entire console generation. Maybe that's just me though.
Thoric485 said:
Cancelling a project is one thing, leading on a developer to work meaninglessly until they run out of cash and have to close doors is just fucking evil.
Yeah, I'm don't think even EA would do that, and I hate EA.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Huh....if this is how things are at LucasArts right now, I better just stop hoping for that TIE Fighter re-release.

They'll just fuck it up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hookah said:
Destroyed a games company to save money. Well, aren't you just the smelliest turd in the pile, LucasArts.
Yes. They are the smelliest turd in the pile for doing exactly what every other company is doing right now. That makes sense.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Greg Tito said:
Then there was a new guy called Darrell Rodriguez, who had been brought in to do a job and it was more to do with cost control than making any games. And the games that we were making for them were costly."
I'm going to have to take issue with that...
Jim Ward was decisively involved in cancelling Full Throttle: Payback/Hell on Wheels and Sam&Max: Freelance Police.

In his very short months with LucasArts, Rodriguez actually made a deal with TellTale Games to make the Monkey Island Episodes and he also greenlighted the Money Island 1+2: Special Editions and brought Loom, The Dig and Indiana Jones to Steam (he also greenlighted Lucidity - hey you can't get all of them right :p). In fact he brought a lot of the LucasArts Lineup to Steam during that time (April 2008 - May 2010): http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released&sort_order=ASC&term=lucasarts
Don't you DARE badmouth him...

After he was replaced all was lost though...
http://kotaku.com/5533053/lucasarts-president-executives-out-as-publisher-shakes-up-top-brass
Very noble to release a back catalogue for minimum cost and risk. How does this stop his shutting down a developer with his parasitic legal team being a dick move?

And "Don't you DARE badmouth him". What are you, his partner? His parent?

Battlefront was a successful franchise much loved by the fans but it appears Rodders was more interested in making money than games and didn't care how many people he needed to step on to get there.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Hookah said:
Destroyed a games company to save money. Well, aren't you just the smelliest turd in the pile, LucasArts.
Yes. They are the smelliest turd in the pile for doing exactly what every other company is doing right now. That makes sense.
i think its the 'leading the on to drain the the studios money' that's pissing people off the most. but then, i don't really remember a good game from Lucasarts since .... >.> Metal Warriors on the SNES, but i believe their name was just on it cause one of the robots uses a Light Saber (and call it that)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
y'know, for every person who tells me that it can't really be that bad, and that the industry just works like this and they should deal with it, i hear another ridiculous story like this

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Fappy said:
Is this really how it went down? Seriously, fuck LucasArts. I can't say that loud enough.
This. They wanted to renage on a contract because it was a bit risky (if they didn't like the risk, they shouldn't have signed it in the first place) although given Battlefront's popularity, I wouldn't say there was a risk. So they wanted to bail, and apparently that gives them the right to actually run a company into the ground and cost jobs.

This is one of the reasons we have a recession and such a bullshit job market. Because we've created a system where it's actually beneficial for a company to gut its competitor and just leave its corpse to rot. They don't even pick up the workers they fucked over.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
So. That is what happened to Battlefront 3?

*Sigh* . . .

Well I am done with them. Forever.

At this point even if LucusArts announces SW:B3 I won't buy it. Not after that. No.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sixcess said:
LucasArts on one side, EA on the other.

Bioware is so fucked.
How in the name of all that's hellish and unholy did they manage to get The Old Republic out between the two publishers?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I wonder if Dark Forces has a similar story.

lacktheknack said:
Sixcess said:
LucasArts on one side, EA on the other.

Bioware is so fucked.
How in the name of all that's hellish and unholy did they manage to get The Old Republic out between the two publishers?
Maybe it's an 'eye of the storm' type of thing. You get directly between the two and they cancel each other out.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Irridium said:
So... Lucasarts played a big hand in the demise of the developers of Timesplitters? And the death of Battlefront 3?

All my hate... they get all my fucking hate.

DAMN YOU LUCASARTS! No its not that's not enough to express my rage at the moment. I need to do this Old Testament style...

Woe is you today Lucasarts. As today you have made a powerful enemy on account of your foolishness. Day and night my fury and anger will burn down on you like fires of the abyss. Your former friends shall flee from before you so as not to share in your plight and your name itself will become a very thing of fear and dread in the land on account of the vengeance I am acting upon you. Your woman will cry out in their turmoil and children will curse their day of birth. Yes all generations of Lucasarts will curse themselves on account of your evils Lucasarts. And the sun...yes even the sun will not shine on you in this day, nor will its warm rays bring any relief in your pains on the day of my vengeance. The enternal blackness will be all you know, because of the darkness you gave out. Yes even that darkness you gave out I will give back ten fold, yes even twenty fold. Yes this will your fate on my day of vengeance and shall be no deliverance for oh Lucasarts on that day!

More sensible post:

Wow I knew Lucasarts where a bit mental but scuttling one of your own flagship projects that would have sold very well just to save money is some of the highest levels of stupidity and near sightedness I have ever seen from a company. How in all of that is holy do they intend to stay in business if they think this kind of behaviour is a good way to make money? Remember you got to spend to make money as the old capitalist saying goes.

Dexter111 said:
Oh just screw all publishers! I tell you hanging would be too good for them. Got to feel for Free Radical, they made such good games they did not deserve to be treated like this.

Feb 28, 2008
I was outraged before I found out that Free Radical Design are a British company based in Nottingham. That's where my friend studies. Things just got personal!

EDIT: Also, reading around the subject, Crytek now own Black Sea Studios, the creators of "Knights of Honor". Please, for the love of all that is holy and sacred, make a sequel! Just put me out of my misery...

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You know what we need to do? Make a news story for each and every publisher that details a similar story just to expose how bad publishers can be. (My apologies to anyone who actually wants to be in game publishing but it can be a dirty business). If the blind hate is dispersed to everyone because everyone is guilty of something maybe people sill sto0p bashing on a particular publisher and will bash on everyone.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Please, for the love of god, LucasArts, just give the rights to Battlefront 3 to somebody else with responsibility, talent, and most of all, common sense, and simply ask for royalties.

I'm sure any developer will gladly be happy with giving you a fair few millions from it, as Battlefront 3 would make an absolute shitload.

Why have the worst things happen to the most wanted game?
Fuck you, LucasArts.