LucasFilms Confirms adding "NOOOOOO!" to Return of the Jedi

teeth

Nov 22, 2009
WHAT THE HELL

George who is "more chin the man now" is just trolling his fans

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
I'm still waiting for him to release the first three movies with Alec Guiness replaced by a CGI Ewan Mcgregor.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Why do we even care anymore?

Once again, this is not a big deal. He is allowed to come back to his intellectual property and make changes anytime he wants to. You fanboys do not own the Star War franchise, he does.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
He does this to match his vision...but wasn't the First 3 Star Wars HIS vision ? This guy just piles up the bad ideas it's like if he threw his brain down a flight of stairs. I like to think of him as the Vince Russo (wrestling fans will understand) of wrestling. His best days are WAYYY pas him and he just makes dumb decisions after dumb decisions and becomes a complete joke.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Iwata said:
mchoueiri said:
This is bitching just to *****.
This is posting just to post.

What you and a minority seem to be failing to understand is that for fans of the films, this is the latest addition in a series of additions that only serve to remove dramatic tension and character development from the original films, you know, the ones we grew up watching? It's not just "changing a detail", it's changing the entire meaning of a climatic scene, and thus contributing with yet another crack on the ship's hull, yet another step in the direction of believing that the movies we cared about were no more than happy accidents, a result of fortunate coincidences and budget limitations.

If you don't give a shit, don't post. Personally, as an 8-year old, I'd gather my two best friends every Friday after school and we'd watch one of the original trilogy on VHS, every Friday, without fail. So I care when I see it butchered and removed piece by piece from what made it so good. It's part of our youth, what we saw as cinematic perfection. And now we're being told it was all an accident and it's getting "fixed" to match Lucas' original vision... and it blows.
First off I am a fan of the series and I love Star Wars just as much as the next guy and I am anti Prequel but the the additions Lucas added to the original like Bobbas new voice some added CGI shots of cloud city didn't change the story . Also might I add the some the additions helped the film greatly like the scene in the fifth film when vader talks to the Sidous for the firs time were in the ordinal it didn't look as good as it does now . ALso the ending of the sixth really didn't change much. This is just being over zealous and complaining about small details that don't really matter. Also explain who Lucas adding small details here and there took away character development

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Akalabeth said:
George Lucas isn't a film maker.
He's a comedian.
Beside star wars what other films have you seen that George Lucas directed beside Star Wars

oblivion328

Jun 12, 2010
Major Tom said:
TEMHOTA said:
First the childish scream in Empire Strikes Back, instead of Luke the young Jedi in training bravely facing what he believes is only choice and jumping into the air vent on cloud city we get a wussy scream all the way down, now NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! In Return of The Jedi? Well that saved me some cash, My wallet thanks you George.
Wait, Luke screams on the way down now? Is that in this latest round of changes, cause I haven't seen that one before. Then again, I haven't seen any of the 'new' Star Wars since the first special editions (in full, anyway, I've seen snippets on TV but I haven't sat down to watch them). That changes the scene from a giant 'fuck you!' moment to something more like 'oh shit I slipped!' or 'perhaps this wasn't such a good idea!'

This just begss the question of why? I don't even make videos, and I feel I can do better dramatic tension than Lucas can today.
Um. That was in the first Special Editions. It's apparently the one change Lucas actually realized was a mistake since it was removed it in the 2004 release.

Lovely Mixture said:
It's quite hard to get the old versions, considering that Lucas himself has sought to get his hands on them all. He also taped over the original negatives.

http://www.forevergeek.com/2006/06/lucas_brings_bad_news_about_original_original_trilogy_on_dvd/
That's a joke...right? RIGHT?

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Akalabeth said:
mchoueiri said:
Akalabeth said:
George Lucas isn't a film maker.
He's a comedian.
Beside star wars what other films have you seen that George Lucas directed beside Star Wars
Nothing.
I wouldn't mind seeing THX sometime though.

I am so glad I still have my VHS tapes.
I hear you can't even get the original star wars on DVD. Not without at least having stupid anakin in ep6
THX 1138 is brilliant he also directed American Graffiti which was another break though for film. People give Lucas too much of a hard time for adding small details into his film that don't affect the over all narrative.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
mchoueiri said:
Iwata said:
mchoueiri said:
This is bitching just to *****.
This is posting just to post.

What you and a minority seem to be failing to understand is that for fans of the films, this is the latest addition in a series of additions that only serve to remove dramatic tension and character development from the original films, you know, the ones we grew up watching? It's not just "changing a detail", it's changing the entire meaning of a climatic scene, and thus contributing with yet another crack on the ship's hull, yet another step in the direction of believing that the movies we cared about were no more than happy accidents, a result of fortunate coincidences and budget limitations.

If you don't give a shit, don't post. Personally, as an 8-year old, I'd gather my two best friends every Friday after school and we'd watch one of the original trilogy on VHS, every Friday, without fail. So I care when I see it butchered and removed piece by piece from what made it so good. It's part of our youth, what we saw as cinematic perfection. And now we're being told it was all an accident and it's getting "fixed" to match Lucas' original vision... and it blows.
First off I am a fan of the series and I love Star Wars just as much as the next guy and I am anti Prequel but the the additions Lucas added to the original like Bobbas new voice some added CGI shots of cloud city didn't change the story . Also might I add the some the additions helped the film greatly like the scene in the fifth film when vader talks to the Sidous for the firs time were in the ordinal it didn't look as good as it does now . ALso the ending of the sixth really didn't change much. This is just being over zealous and complaining about small details that don't really matter. Also explain who Lucas adding small details here and there took away character development
Gladly:

- Greedo shooting first- Destroys Han Solo's brilliant entrance into the movies which established him as a shoot-first (literally) mercenary, and made his eventual heroics that much stronger. Now he's, you know, just defending himself! I'm still surprised they didn't CGI-in a tear running down his cheek in lament for poor Greedo, whose live he'd just taken.

- Han stepping on Jabba's tail- The dreaded crime lord we had been taunted with for two movies finally appeared in RotJ, and he was just as corrupt and debased as we had imagined him to be... until years later, when Lucas decided to add a scene in the special editions where Solo steps and walks over his tail, while Jabba lets out a pathetic yelp. Kinda like if someone added a scene to "The Godfather" where someone blows his runny nose on Don Corleonne's shirt, as he stands there doing nothing.

- Luke's scream as he falls on Cloud City. And THIS is how you turn a selfless act of sacrifice, complete with a last "I beat you" smirk, into a sissified "Oooops, missed a step" moment. Yoda would be proud.

That's three considerably important, some would say essential, character traits blown away by Lucas' post-release tampering. I'm sure there are more, but it's past 3am here, and I can't really go back to the movies scene-by-scene, but adding Vader to the list of characters being neutered doesn't strike me as pleasing.

Ranyore

May 10, 2011
I remember....long ago..I enjoyed Star Wars. Then he just kept "improving it"....and making terrible ...terrible things. At least they never got past three Indiana Jones movies or I'd snap like Yahtzee.

*motions you to be quiet*....it......never...happened....and they haven't released a Star Wars dvd in several years......period.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
*SHRUG*

I honestly no longer care what he does. They're his movies, he can do what he wants to them. Clearly he's changed from who he was and it's clear he will never listen to us either. Probably because most of us react in ways that would honestly make me not want to listen. Mostly frothing, incoherent and in articulate rage, inordinate wailing and gnashing of teeth coupled with cries of heresy and claims of crimes against humanity. Whatever. He can do whatever he wants. I still have my sweet, sweet memories of the way it was. He can't take those from me and thanks to the modern wonder of the internet it's a lot harder for somebody like him to completely pave over history.

Case in point:

He seems like he must have been a pretty cool guy once. I guess it's up to one of you guys to become the new George Lucas and make movies about the things you loved as a kid. Hope it doesn't go to your head.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Bloody hell. STOP GEORGE!!

On a similar note, I wonder if people will go back to film series like Harry Potter in a decade or two, to "enhance things".

What, you mean to make them even worse?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Having never seen the originals and not particularly being a fan of the series, I find this absolutely hilarious.

But it would boil my piss if I was into this stuff.

Azo Galvat

Mar 3, 2011
I have them on DVD already.

But seriously, the scene was fine the way it was. This is just hitting the audience over the head with "DARTH VADER IS EMOTIONALLY CONFLICTED NOW WILL HE BETRAY THE EMPEROR AND SAVE HIS SON OR WILL HE LET LUKE DIE THAT'S WHAT HE'S THINKING RIGHT NOW DO YOU GET IT NOW?"

d.revan07

Aug 30, 2011
Well we still have the versions that came before, maybe Lucas is just giving us an incentive to buy new versions every few years. I personally don't mind, I have the VHS versions, the DVD versions, and am planning to buy the Blu-Ray versions. While I respect you point of view, I think you are exaggerating a bit. You should just appreciate the parts that you like and try to think of these changes as a way of keeping new releases from being redundant. Its not like the older versions are being destroyed forever. So relax, smile, and just enjoy Star Wars for what it is, One of the greatest sagas (film or not) of all time. :)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I think it's time we sue George Lucas for custody rights to Star Wars, since George has proven himself incapable of taking care of his own franchise.