Lucy Goosey

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Yeah, lol Atheism, right? It's true that the entire... group(?) has been kind of reduced to snark and sarcastic quips at religious groups.

Agnosticismwin >.>

Better beee...

AGNOSTICLAW!

OT: You see, this is why I tell people that I believe in Dinosaurs and keep walking.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Yeah, I see that a lot.

There's a Swiss philosopher called Alain de Boton, who works in London, an atheist who studied religion and uses its many positive aspects to his and other atheists' advantage. He opened up centers that teach prayer-like meditation and stuff.

He wrote a book about what uses atheists can take away from religion. For that he was attacked by militant atheist Richard Dawkins disciples as a "theist in disguise".

Richard Dawkins is a clever man, no doubt about it, but as a biologist and a natural scientist he does not have the proper education and equipment to analyse and discuss religion with the authority he claims. Alain de Boton does. But yet Alain de Boton gets attacked by people who idolise and follow Richard Dawkins like some kind of guru.

What the fuck...

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
While I usually enjoy Critical Miss I found this one rather weak. Whatever punchline there was supposed to be didn't register with me. Oh well, everybody has their off-days.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Mcoffey said:
The worst part about seeing and loving Noah was telling my friends about it, and getting the same response each time: "Oh, that bible movie? I didn't know you were religious..."

It's just a good movie guys. It's just a good movie...
Never saw Noah, but I agree with your point.

I get the same reaction when I tell people how underrated The Prince of Egypt was.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
PunkRex said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Yeah, lol Atheism, right? It's true that the entire... group(?) has been kind of reduced to snark and sarcastic quips at religious groups.

Agnosticismwin >.>

Better beee...

AGNOSTICLAW!

OT: You see, this is why I tell people that I believe in Dinosaurs and keep walking.
Just want to give you a heads up that we ran with this joke on twitter and people have came up with "Secularyn" and "Gryffreethinkindor." No one's came up with one for Hufflepuff yet, because no one likes Hufflepuff.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
"Big chunk". Yeah, sure. Most of my fellow atheists I've met don't go provoking religious types. Not because we're afraid of being repressed or tortured like in times past, but because we're more grown up than that. Most atheists don't push their beliefs on others because they're mature enough to follow the golden rule. We really only debate or argue if pressed.

In my experience, it's only some Christians and a handful of insecure atheists/agnostics who feel the need to score points. And I just shake my head slowly at all of them.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Zombie Badger said:
I really don't get people not liking Lucy purely for using the 10% thing. The force isn't real either, and I doubt Lucy is presenting itself as scientifically accurate given the superpowers she gets.
I think they're just disappointed that it was Lucy and not a Black Widow movie.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Super Cyborg said:
JoJo said:
Not really, unless you're only including 'Internet Atheists' from Reddit, most Atheists I know including myself simply don't give a shit about religion.

On-topic, for some reason it took me a while to see that Noah sign in the second panel, then suddenly the joke made sense.
The Atheists I've met don't care either, it's more if I was to come and try to preach to them, then they would tell me to shut up (I don't do that). I believe what I believe, and others believe what they believe. As long as they are not actively hurting others, then I don't care. I do know why some Atheists get tired of Christians, but not all of us are people who go around door to door, and march at certain places saying people will go to hell, and that includes both conservative and liberal Christians.

Besides the zinger, was there something that caused this to happen? Did they have someone come and try to convert them?
We get a lot of Jehovah's witnesses knocking on doors but i doubt that just pisses atheists off.

On the believing or not front, it's a choice, and given the lack of evidence in either direction both valid.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Religion is no longer a major force in the secular, Western world, so there's not much for atheists to argue or fight about. Hence, a large proportion of the arguing is from those who can't see the silliness of shooting fish in a barrel.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
The faith lobby isn't bogged down by morons enough to not control one of the US's 2 major political parties. Morons seem to go hand-in-hand with popular sovereignty.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
If the criteria for good/bad sci-fi is if they are 100% scientifically accurate, then by that reasoning Star Trek, Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (new and old), Matrix, Stargate (all of them), Dr. Who, etc. etc. are all terrible shows and should be constantly called out for their scientific inaccuracies, right?

Seriously, the worst thing that the Internet brought about is that it made everyone so bitchy...

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
It took me three lines for me to realise that was a London Grammar remix. Huh. Reminds me of Protomen.

I watched that controversial scene from Noah, the birth of the earth 7 day one, with Russell Crowe talking over it like someone trying to grade a breezeblock. I thought it was spectacularly done.

Capatcha: Blah Blah Blah. Yup.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
I'm not sure this joke works since I'm pretty sure both movies weren't in cinmeas at the same time

..........I'll shut up now
I'm sure somewhere Noah's still going. Though I could only find 2 lkistings in Texas and one in Minnesota. Quick! Where does Erin live? We need to make sure this theater is accurate!

<.<

Clowndoe said:
Thanks for highlighting the most frustrating thing about watching anything on Youtube. Far worse than the guy on the opposing side of a debate is the guy on your side acting like a twat.
And this is why I steer clear of the Amazing Atheist.

I'm not sure if that counts as a point or a zinger, so I'm going to go with "both."

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
If you drop the specification of "at religious people," you described the entire "group" of the internet, though, so it's not like there's anything that stands out about this behaviour.

Jandau said:
If the criteria for good/bad sci-fi is if they are 100% scientifically accurate, then by that reasoning Star Trek, Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (new and old), Matrix, Stargate (all of them), Dr. Who, etc. etc. are all terrible shows and should be constantly called out for their scientific inaccuracies, right?

Seriously, the worst thing that the Internet brought about is that it made everyone so bitchy...
You do realise that people ***** about the scientific accuracy in all of the above, right? Even the fans will? There are people who just can't get past warp drive or the TARDIS or psychics or snakes that can cure all disease.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The Wooster said:
PunkRex said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Agnosticismwin >.>

Better beee...

AGNOSTICLAW!

Just want to give you a heads up that we ran with this joke on twitter and people have came up with "Secularyn" and "Gryffreethinkindor." No one's came up with one for Hufflepuff yet, because no one likes Hufflepuff.
Kerfufflepuff, for those who don't wanna get involved.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Loki_The_Good said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

KAVINSKY!

*ehem*

Agnosticismwin >.>
Not that there is any snark in the comment above. Not that that's really something to worry about. Most people speak of other religions with a bit of snark or condescension. Atheism just gets a bad rap because its the most openly opposed.
2meta4me

What FOUL ruses are you playing on me, Trickster?!

And I would say it gets a bad rap because of people like TheAmazingAtheist(not to mention Richard Dawkins' and Ricky Gervais' occasional, yet unbearable smugness and hints at anti-theism).

But I'd like to rest this matter, I don't want to be included in the inevitable religious 'discussion' that this thread will be engulfed by :X

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Super Cyborg said:
The Atheists I've met don't care either, it's more if I was to come and try to preach to them, then they would tell me to shut up (I don't do that). I believe what I believe, and others believe what they believe. As long as they are not actively hurting others, then I don't care. I do know why some Atheists get tired of Christians, but not all of us are people who go around door to door, and march at certain places saying people will go to hell, and that includes both conservative and liberal Christians.
I would say most active atheists are not "tired of Christians" but just fed up with the apologetics and the silent approval of the general Christian public when it comes to evangelism-fueled anti-scientific bullshit (like putting creationism into the classroom or the entire "teaching the controversy" and "academic freedom" wedges they tried to use after the former failed in court).

In fact I would go as far to say that Atheist (or rather Rationalist, but atheism is arguably a part of that) activism is actually really needed today because the popular apologists like Ken Ham, Ray Comfort and Eric Howind ARE incredibly and demonstrably stupid (one of them famously declared that the human-bred banana was the "atheists' nightmare" because it's "design" proved that it was made by God specifically for human consumption) and yet they are not only swimming in money (mostly because they know how to work the heartstrings of their wealthy conservative evangelist Christian audience) but they are actually going out of their way to disrupt science education and are spreading Biblical tales as hard facts, and no one else seems to lift a finger to challenge them!

As for the rudeness... You know, when you are an atheist on the net, you are generally not arguing with the sane religious but the nutjobs that are only regurgitating the same tired old "arguments" their apologetic role models are putting into their mouth. You can only have so much patience when you have heard "If there is anything that contradicts the Bible, Satan put it there to fool us!", "Evolution is just a theory!" and "I know that I am right and you are wrong because the Bible says so and you are going to burn in hell!" for the billionth time, and sadly this frustration can easily slip into other conversations as well...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Mcoffey said:
The worst part about seeing and loving Noah was telling my friends about it, and getting the same response each time: "Oh, that bible movie? I didn't know you were religious..."

It's just a good movie guys. It's just a good movie...
I really want to see it, but mostly because the trailers made it look fucking terrible. Like, awesomely terrible, the kind of film you just laugh all the way through.

My best mate and his wife saw it and absolutely hated it, but that's because they're both very Christian types and I doubt their reasons for disliking it - "It didn't even mention the idea of forgiveness or God's love!", for example - would bother me much.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
SonicWaffle said:
I really want to see it, but mostly because the trailers made it look fucking terrible. Like, awesomely terrible, the kind of film you just laugh all the way through.

My best mate and his wife saw it and absolutely hated it, but that's because they're both very Christian types and I doubt their reasons for disliking it - "It didn't even mention the idea of forgiveness or God's love!", for example - would bother me much.
If I remember correctly, the original cut was pretty much as faithful to the original Bible story as it could be... and test audiences hated it for "defacing the original story". As it turns out most people are only familiar with the watered down "Disneyfied" version of the Bible filtered through their pastors. So they did a second cut where they focused on these versions instead of the Bible and the thing suddenly got way better reception.

I for one thought it was an okay movie. You just have to take it for what it is: a fictional story adapted from an ancient myth, like Hercules or Troy. It also served as a wonderful conversation topic with my friends, so I would say it is worth a watch just for that.

Loki_The_Good said:
Sure people like the amazingatheist ect can and and do act like cads but so do many people from other religious sects evangelical Christians have more then a few prime examples ect. Not talking about the content or worth of any religion just that Athiesm tends to get heavily targeted for stuff most other religions tend to indulge on as well just as frequently.
The Amazing Atheist is a bit of a bad apple, and at least two thirds of what he does he does for entertainment and for click-bait to the point where it is hard to tell where the real person with his opinions ends and the online persona with its exaggerated antics begins.

I for one don't follow him because I don't like said online persona, but apparently a lot of people are finding him hilarious and/or interesting enough to keep him afloat.

As for the back-and-forth, it is almost exclusively between Atheists and Apologists, and I am pretty sure the entire "Atheists hate all Christians" thing is propagated by the latter to garner attention and to fuel their persecution complex. Not to mention, as I said somewhere up above, when you have apologists saying things like "The flood former the Grand Canyon in five minutes.", you just know that the person have given up on rational thought and you can only ridicule them at that point.