Lyrics or quotes that make you cringe.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
DementedSheep said:
Techno Squidgy said:
DementedSheep said:
Techno Squidgy said:
DementedSheep said:
I probably shouldn't say this one cause it's tied in with religion but Cassie by Flyleaf. Most song can have horrible lyrics and I won't really care but with that one the subject matter and the lyrics are enough to put me off because I see it as a pointless waste of life rather than a good thing.

"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
Say "Yes" to pull the trigger
"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger"
If I recall correctly, this is a reference to the Columbine High School massacre. A girl was hiding under a desk, one of the shooters found her and knowing she was religious this exchange happened.

Though there's some debate as to whether the exchange actually took place, or if it was even Cassie Bernal that this happened too.

I haven't read up on this subject in a while though, so I might have a few details wrong.
Yeah I heard, it's one of the reason I don't like the song. It paints her saying yes knowing he would shoot her as a good thing and that the singer would do the same.
That's not how I interpreted the song at all. The way I heard it, it sounded as though the singer was saying she would also answer yes in the same circumstances.
That's what I meant sorry. I can see how that sentence was confusing. The song makes it sound like saying yes is why she got shot. There is time for standing up for what you believe in and making a statement but this was not ongoing oppression of a group or trying to keep beliefs silent, it is a couple of students going off. You're not doing anything by declaring yes rather than lying and saying no other than throwing your life away.
Well, seeing as we live in the universe where she said yes and got shot, we can't really say with any certainty that her saying no would have saved her life. Saying yes could be the reason she got shot, maybe Klebold would have shot her anyway. If it even was her that was asked the question.

I'm not religious myself, but I bet many would rather die than denounce their faith. After all, they believe their god is constantly watching and judging them, right? If they believed they were about to die regardless, why denounce their faith right before they meet their maker?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Caribou Coffee's old motto:

"We love coffee too. That's why we proudly brew."

I am a very gentle man, and yet the last time I heard those words... 31 innocent souls lost their lives that day.

Thank God that they finally changed it.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
Caribou Coffee's old motto:

"We love coffee too. That's why we proudly brew."

Is that taken out of context? Like, say, them mentioning somebody who loves coffee and then adding those words? Because otherwise, that has to be one of the dumbest mottos ever. Even if you're the kind of guy who don't mind split infinitives.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
"Some things in this world never change. And some things do." from Matrix Reloaded + Revolutions.

I can't think of a single line in cinema history that is so completely pointless and literally only functions as filler. Think about it, all it is is an incredibly obvious statement about change. You could very easily pick some other arbitrary situation that sometimes occurs (for example: "Some cars are red. And some cars aren't" or "Some sequels are as good as the original. And some sequels aren't") It's meaningless and yet is somewhat pretentiously presented as being some kind of deep philosophical concept (hence its use in both films several times). For me it is a symbol of every flaw and failure of these 2 films (compared to the The Matrix) i.e. both films feature a lot more talking than is neccessary, despite this both films have fairly unimpressive scripts, both films have an air of pretense (largely due to trying to imitate the relatively original and somewhat philosophical) ideas from the first film, and both films could have been half as long and had the same, if not more, impact.

Mini rant over. This is definitely the quote that most boils my blood, it genuinely irritates me when I hear it.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
bartholen said:
Any lyrics by Black Eyed Peas. Their music is fucking awful, and should be banned.
This. So much. I want to drag whoever wrote this back to my home, tie him up in my basement and let him listen to this goddamn thing for a week straight. Afterwards im gonna hand him a spoon so he can dig out his higher brainfunctions.

The sad thing is, this, blurred lines and a whole lot of other repetetive and hillariously stupid songs are pretty much the only thing rolling in most radios here in switzerland. Im a bit biased because i hate Pop with a passion, but you cant argue that sh*t like this gets _grating_ if you play it 50 times a day.

Also, one quote you gonna hear a LOT very soon. Be prepared. Its approaching. You can see the black clouds, rising at the horizon. Run. Run now before it is too late. Hide your friends and family.

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away
This year to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special
IT BURNS! IT BUUUUUUUUURNS!

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Here in the Dark

The Epoxies

"I've been watching you for some time
I see you when you're standing alone
On your own and it seems such a crime
I wonder if I might bring you home
And speak to you softly under lights so low
Somewhere where there isn't a sound
And tell you of places where I've wanted to go
Places that might never be found

In the dark, I am waiting for you here in the dark."

Okay, maybe not too cringe worthy because Roxy Epoxy has a wonderful voice and she sells the romantic intent of the song really well.

It's just that out of context....

[http://s529.photobucket.com/user/Diddy_Mao/media/Lotion.png.html]

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Can I just be broad and say... pretty much any lyrics Taylor Swift makes millions writing that pertain to her failed love life?

A more specific example that isn't from Swift:

"All the other boys
try to chaaaase me,
But here's my number
so call me, maybe?"

It's just so... SELFISH. I mean, even by "selfish lyric" standards. To me it's pretty much what it says: "Heyyyyy I know I'm pretty sought after by ever OTHER guy but here, I happen to want the one that *I* have to approach so you must be worth it. Did I mention all the other boys like me but I'd rather be with you? CALL ME"

Sounds desperate. The whole song sounds desperate (I miss you so bad, I miss you so, so bad). I guess I just don't like it.

Also, I don't wanna quote it here because I feel like I lose a chunk of brain cells just thinking about it, but the entirety of "What Does The Fox Say". -rubs temples-

Quotes are a bit harder to pinpoint but I remember always grating my teeth at

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Now, that's just rude. It insults the people who actually have such a disability and it makes the person quoting it sound like one of those random annoying people you don't wanna spend any time with because they're fully aware of how "weird" they are and how "fun" it must be to not be in control of your mind. That quote ALWAYS bugged me.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
Quotes are a bit harder to pinpoint but I remember always grating my teeth at

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Now, that's just rude. It insults the people who actually have such a disability and it makes the person quoting it sound like one of those random annoying people you don't wanna spend any time with because they're fully aware of how "weird" they are and how "fun" it must be to not be in control of your mind. That quote ALWAYS bugged me.
I agree with that, especially since i used to say that too. However, after being told that insanity is more a term used for the disability, I switched over to just saying that I enjoy being "weird" (at least in English). It may just come from the fact that he terms are a bit less distinguishable in german, but i would feel bad offending people with the actual problem.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
Any song that involves a band singing about how much money doesn't matter...

From pop
It's not about the money, we just want to make the world dance
She got worse, I'm pretty sure there's like one lyric in "Domino" which makes any sense.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Lyrics with kindergarden rhymes make me cringe a bit.

I can't read, I can't follow
And I walk in costant sorrow
What I earn is what I borrow
I don't care for tomorrow

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Silverbeard said:
Ghost division by Sabaton has one of the finest drum beats I've ever heard...and some of the most bizarre lyrics I've had to experience. They're not even difficult to understand. They're just... odd.
How exactly are they odd? It's a song about the 7th Panzer Division during the Fall of France, the lyrics are no more odd than any other Sabaton song (or the genre for that matter).

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Can I just go with 'Anything Bob Dylan ever says'? The man's voice is termites in the ears.
Whatever about having an issue with his voice, he's an amazing lyricist.
I don't think he fits the bill for cringey quotes or lyrics.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
band aid said:
There wont be snow in africa this christmas time
Im pretty sure anyone who has climbed kilimanjaro will tell you otherwise

feed the world, let them know its christmas time
Considering a large part of africa are islamic this is ridiculous, i thought we'd past the point of forcing our religious doctrone on people in exchange for feeding them

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
shootthebandit said:
band aid said:
There wont be snow in africa this christmas time
Im pretty sure anyone who has climbed kilimanjaro will tell you otherwise

feed the world, let them know its christmas time
Considering a large part of africa are islamic this is ridiculous, i thought we'd past the point of forcing our religious doctrone on people in exchange for feeding them
Another oft-repeated and slightly ridiculous charity-ish, pacifistic one is "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

I'll let Sam Rockwell take this one:

Hans: "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind, I believe that wholeheartedly."

Billy: "No it doesn't. There'll be one guy left with one eye. Hows the last blind guy gonna take out the eye of the last guy left, who's still got one eye? All that guy has to do is run away and hide behind a bush..."
"Gandhi was wrong, it's just that nobody's got the balls to come right out and say it."

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Megalodon said:
Silverbeard said:
Ghost division by Sabaton has one of the finest drum beats I've ever heard...and some of the most bizarre lyrics I've had to experience. They're not even difficult to understand. They're just... odd.
How exactly are they odd? It's a song about the 7th Panzer Division during the Fall of France, the lyrics are no more odd than any other Sabaton song (or the genre for that matter).
That's just it. I can't tell you in words how odd the words are. They just feel odd. Nothing else I've heard from them sounds as odd as Ghost division.
Price of a Mile, for instance, is very moving in that smashing strings sort of way. Ghost Division, though... bah, I can't explain it. But I can listen to it from hours on end, so maybe the problem lies in my ears.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Eddie the head said:
About 90% of the Bible. I don't know what hits me worse the rules about rape or the mass genocide. Or the father trying to kill the son. Or God making a bet with Satan about that guys life.
I think that's very contextual. When some "holier than thou" person quotes the bible, it's cringey, but otherwise I think it's a pretty cringe-less book - it's a fun read, if you ignore all the "and then Ishmael had three sons, and their names were come on nobody wants to know this, and the first of them had six children, and so on please make it stop" of the old testament. I mean, come on, it's essentially a book about how much of a dick god can be, and then a book about anti-roman propaganda.

EDIT: Also, on topic: Everytime someone just takes a famous persons words and thinks they are automatically true and deep just because they are on Wikiquotes. Seriously, quoting Nietzsche doesn't make you look very intelligent if you're essentially living a kind of life that Nietzsche would find idiotic.

tell'emstevedave

Jan 12, 2013
'Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it. A kiss can be deadlier if you mean it.'
(Catwoman, Batman Returns)
What the hell, Tim Burton!! That makes most of the dialogue in the first Batman seem like Shakespeare.