Lyrics or quotes that make you cringe.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
First and foremost: Grace Kelly by Mika.
I honest to God want to stick bared wire dipped in hydroflouric acid in my ears when I hear it.

I could be brown, I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful, I could be purple
I could be anything you like

Gotta be green, gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you walk out the door!

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Theres a kid rock song where he rhymes "things", with the word "things", and its not ironic because kid rocks doesnt know what irony is unless his whole life is an elaborate satire which I truly hope it is.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
Feedmeketamine said:
Theres a kid rock song where he rhymes "things", with the word "things", and its not ironic because kid rocks doesnt know what irony is unless his whole life is an elaborate satire which I truly hope it is.
You're thinking about "All summer long", and yes, that is cringeworthy.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
I'll go for a fruit so low it touches the ground and say "Chabos wissen wer der Babo ist" by Haftbefehl [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYbeCcDZFI]. It translates to "Chabos know who's the Babo" and if that doesn't make any sense to you rest assured that you are not alone.
Despite being a native speaker of the language I suppose the song is written in I have not a fucking clue what this guy is talking about, except for a few glimpses on coke, Ferraries and people getting punched.

shootthebandit said:
band aid said:
There wont be snow in africa this christmas time
Im pretty sure anyone who has climbed kilimanjaro will tell you otherwise

feed the world, let them know its christmas time
Considering a large part of africa are islamic this is ridiculous, i thought we'd past the point of forcing our religious doctrone on people in exchange for feeding them
Yeah, it's basicly "Merry fucking Christmas" [http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151728/merry-fing-christmas] with charitable pretenses and without any selfawareness.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
o/ "Thunder only happens when it's raining" o/

I bet you a meteorogist would shed tears every time he/she hears that song.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Pretty much anything where the guy singing starts bragging about how awesome he is and how he can beat/murder your ass without a thought. It's just always "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOOOOOOOOOOOOK AAAAAAAAAT MEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Double points if it's audibly pitch-corrected.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." Or something like it.

I hate it. I really, really hate this one. Just pisses me off. Also, not sure I agree so I wonder where this came from. Real proper forgiveness I doubt comes so easily.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
This is probably the worst song I've ever heard lyrically:

There are no words to describe how horrible it is.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
DementedSheep said:
Many many songs have this but here a few off the top of my head.

"You're so much cooler when you never pull it out
Cause you look so much cuter with something in your mouth"

Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong but it really makes him sound like a jackass with "you're hot so long as you keep dancing and don't speak". In fact a lot of Nickleback songs are either like this or pretentious though I suspect many of his songs are dry humor not serious. I'm hoping this song is one of them because it's disgusting.
Huh, I always thought that lyrics of this song were actually aimed at bashing such behaviour. Although, I may be wrong.

I think I'll go with old saying "Never say never". While it can be applied to certain situations (-"I'll never pass this test." -"Never say never".) It is often misused.

DibsOnPyro

Mar 19, 2013
"suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem"

Never have I ever heard a suicidal person react positively to this, in fact it's kind of insulting. "Sure your parents, partner, loved one, etc. hurt you in a really emotionally and/or physical way but that doesn't matter as long as I can make my self sound like a life saving hero."

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
FalloutJack said:
Can I just go with 'Anything Bob Dylan ever says'? The man's voice is termites in the ears.
Whatever about having an issue with his voice, he's an amazing lyricist.
I don't think he fits the bill for cringey quotes or lyrics.
Hey, I said 'everything he says', which is quite accurate if it is what it is when HE says it.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
DementedSheep said:
I probably shouldn't say this one cause it's tied in with religion but Cassie by Flyleaf. Most song can have horrible lyrics and I won't really care but with that one the subject matter and the lyrics are enough to put me off because I see it as a pointless waste of life rather than a good thing.

"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
Say "Yes" to pull the trigger
"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger"
If I recall correctly, this is a reference to the Columbine High School massacre. A girl was hiding under a desk, one of the shooters found her and knowing she was religious this exchange happened.

Though there's some debate as to whether the exchange actually took place, or if it was even Cassie Bernal that this happened too.

I haven't read up on this subject in a while though, so I might have a few details wrong.
It didn't happen. There was a student that one of the shooters asked if they believed in god, but the "girl shot after saying yes" thing never happened.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Houseman said:
Eddie the head said:
About 90% of the Bible. I don't know what hits me worse the rules about rape or the mass genocide. Or the father trying to kill the son. Or God making a bet with Satan about that guys life.
Except that's only 10% of the bible...

People misunderstanding or having misconceptions of the bible, due to not having read it at all, is what makes me cringe.

Aside: I wish the "religion and politics" section of the forums had less politics, and more religion, or separated those subjects into two different boards.
That impresses on me that you haven't read the damn thing. Most of the old testament is god wiping out people. The new testament isn't much better with the addition of hell. Wow you mean god loves me so much that if I don't love him back he is going to burn me in hell fire forever?

Plus the whole thing is based on the idea that we are born with "original sin" witch I find particularly cringe worthy. In psychology(you that pesky science based on facts) there is a subset called Transactional Analysis the basic null of there hypotheses is we are born "Ok." The idea that we are born with a fault just makes me cringe.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Bob Seger's "Night Moves"

The dude's a great musician and I absolutely love that song but there's a certain line that I always cock an eyebrow at.

"We weren't in love, oh no far from it
We weren't searching for some pie in the sky summit"

Maybe I'm paying too much attention to it, maybe I'm just not getting something, I don't know, it just doesn't sound *right* to me.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Dfskelleton said:
Caribou Coffee's old motto:

"We love coffee too. That's why we proudly brew."

Is that taken out of context? Like, say, them mentioning somebody who loves coffee and then adding those words? Because otherwise, that has to be one of the dumbest mottos ever. Even if you're the kind of guy who don't mind split infinitives.
Nope, that's the motto in it's entirety.
They just wrote those words on the side of the coffee cup. You couldn't take a sip without seeing it.
Reading it was the verbal equivalent to kidney stones.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Eddie the head said:
Houseman said:
Eddie the head said:
About 90% of the Bible. I don't know what hits me worse the rules about rape or the mass genocide. Or the father trying to kill the son. Or God making a bet with Satan about that guys life.
Except that's only 10% of the bible...

People misunderstanding or having misconceptions of the bible, due to not having read it at all, is what makes me cringe.

Aside: I wish the "religion and politics" section of the forums had less politics, and more religion, or separated those subjects into two different boards.
That impresses on me that you haven't read the damn thing. Most of the old testament is god wiping out people. The new testament isn't much better with the addition of hell. Wow you mean god loves me so much that if I don't love him back he is going to burn me in hell fire forever?

Plus the whole thing is based on the idea that we are born with "original sin" witch I find particularly cringe worthy. In psychology(you that pesky science based on facts) there is a subset called Transactional Analysis the basic null of there hypotheses is we are born "Ok." The idea that we are born with a fault just makes me cringe.
The thing people get wrong about the Old Testament's cruelty, and the New Testament being nicer, is the idea that God somehow gave up on all the smiting and fire from the sky and badabing badaboom. That's not the case. It's not as if there's any part in the New Testament where God says that it was wrong of him to smite and kill and so on; it's just that he doesn't order even more of it. He still approves of all the horribleness that he did go through with.