Lyrics or quotes that make you cringe.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
This is one I keep coming across on YouTube comments pages. It was one of the things that eventually caused me to download and install the Comment Blocker application for Google Chrome:

"Anti-racist is code-word for anti-white."

It's more annoying than "RON PAUL 2012" and "your an idiot" put together.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Well there's a really neat german commercial which makes no sense. Here the translation:

"Piccolinis from Buitoni. Extra popular because they're Piccolinis. Extra delicious because they're from Buitoni."

Jeah. I don't even know what to say.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
Nope, that's the motto in it's entirety.
They just wrote those words on the side of the coffee cup. You couldn't take a sip without seeing it.
Reading it was the verbal equivalent to kidney stones.
Jesus H. Christ on a crutch. I'm getting the feeling that somebody who had the job of deciding the slogan had a severe case of boss'kidcameupwithitandyoudon'tsaynotothatifyouwanttokeepyourjobitis.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
As for songs that make me cringe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDrjgbKayo - the opening to Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei. I don't know why. It just makes me really sick, for some reason. They all rocket out of a UFO and land in the Sahara where apple heads come from their remains and begin firing lazers all over Tokyo with the characters seem to have bajillioned in size and are flattening Tokyo while some guy in the background sings in a voice that would make Harley Quinn sound like Myrilin Monroe.

Also, the theory that all people have sexual fantasies about their parents. As someone who despises their father's very existence, and is thus very close to their mother, this theory, literally makes me nauseas. I will deny deny deny until the fucking cows come home.

On the other hand: Poorly translated H-games. I don't play them often. But when I do, it makes me cringe.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
As for what creeps me out:
One Direction said:
If only you saw what I can see
You'll understand why I want you so desperately
Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe
You don't know
Oh Oh
You don't know you're beautiful
Oh oh
You don't know you're beautiful
Oh oh
That's what makes you beautiful
So the thing that makes a woman beautiful is her unawareness of being beautiful- that women's appeal is given to them by men rather than recognized in themselves. It's a horribly, horribly misogynistic song that unfortunately seems to go unnoticed since their target market is the sort of teeny-bopper girls who care about non-sexually threatening boy bands to begin with. Unfortunately, their target audience is the one most likely to internalize the message.
I really liked Steven Colbert's interpretation of the song.

So basically One Direction was just exploring the concept of indeterminate logical outcomes through music, which I honestly think is admirable.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
When I was fifteen, I thought Dragonforce lyrics were fucking awesome. Now, five years later, I CAN'T read and NOT cringe. Also, I can't sing along with them without laughing.

Now, Blind Guardian on the other hand...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Battenberg said:
"Some things in this world never change. And some things do." from Matrix Reloaded + Revolutions.

I can't think of a single line in cinema history that is so completely pointless and literally only functions as filler. Think about it, all it is is an incredibly obvious statement about change. You could very easily pick some other arbitrary situation that sometimes occurs (for example: "Some cars are red. And some cars aren't" or "Some sequels are as good as the original. And some sequels aren't") It's meaningless and yet is somewhat pretentiously presented as being some kind of deep philosophical concept (hence its use in both films several times). For me it is a symbol of every flaw and failure of these 2 films (compared to the The Matrix) i.e. both films feature a lot more talking than is neccessary, despite this both films have fairly unimpressive scripts, both films have an air of pretense (largely due to trying to imitate the relatively original and somewhat philosophical) ideas from the first film, and both films could have been half as long and had the same, if not more, impact.

Mini rant over. This is definitely the quote that most boils my blood, it genuinely irritates me when I hear it.
Ah, let me correct you there, Batten. Reloaded and Revolution have a LOT MORE going on than people give them credit for. Just look over these two huge essays [http://www.wylfing.net/essays/index.html].

@OP: As a Christian, this quote that gets paraded around by Atheists:

Epicurius said:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
I don't think I need to explain why but if you honestly can't figure out why I have a huge problem with this quote, just ask me.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
TWRule said:
Anyway, it annoys me. Whoever said this was either making a rather lame joke in a particular context from which this quote has been divorced, or has very questionable understandings of the nature of definitions, insanity, and the world in general for that matter.

And yes, when I saw the trailer for Farcry 3 awhile back which used this quote - even though it was used in a way that was supposed to be playful and humorous rather than serious - it made me not want to play the game. I can't imagine someone saying this in a way that isn't totally vacuous, even if it's 'good-humored' vacuity.
Vacuous? Evidently you don't understand the meaning behind the statement. Sure, it engages in a little bit of hyperbole as far as attributing that as the definition of insanity... but certainly, trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results is certainly a form of contemptible stupidity.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Ah, let me correct you there, Batten. Reloaded and Revolution have a LOT MORE going on than people give them credit for. Just look over these two huge essays [http://www.wylfing.net/essays/index.html].

@OP: As a Christian, this quote that gets paraded around by Atheists:

Epicurius said:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
I don't think I need to explain why but if you honestly can't figure out why I have a huge problem with this quote, just ask me.
I'm not sure what you're correcting, my opinion that I disliked the films (which is subjective and therefore not prone categorising as correct or incorrect), my issues with the quote I mentioned (in which case please elaborate), or my general issues with the films (particularly their air of pretense).

The third option seems the most likely given the link you included so I'll go with that unless you say otherwise. Those essays are huge, unneccessarily so (much like the films), and as such I only read about the first half of each plus the closing paragraph or so (frankly if a film needs that many pages of solid text to defend its plot alone there is an issue with the film). The 'much more going on' you mention (based on these articles) is a symmetry with the Bible. This is not news to me and is certainly not a counterargument against a movie being described as pretentious, if anything it supports that argument. Basing your plot on one of the oldest and most well heard of/ read texts in the world is not original and brings nothing to the table in terms of ideas. It can be interesting having that interpretation there but the film needs something else at the forefront, something more impressive than mere imitation. Additionally both these essays emphasise the importance of choice but saying choice is important/ a large part of being human isn't a big deal and the florid prose does little to disguise the simplicity of the ideas actually being presented.

Also I haven't heard that Epicurius quote before but it does (extremely simplistically) sum up why I find the idea of a God/ supreme being improbable at best. Out of curiosity what is your issue with it? The counter arguments I've heard against this have, by and large, been awful and typically simplistic and I'm always interested to hear an opposing train of thought on these things. It may be best to pm for this or make a new thread so we don't clog up the thread with a religious debate that no one wants to see.

So that my post has relevance to the thread I'd like to add the entirety of the song 'I touch myself' (I forget who its by). More embarassing than watching Game of Thrones with your parents.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Tyler the creator. I feel disturbed after listening to his music.

I would show one of his music videos but I'm don't want to risk my perfect record of getting in trouble with the mods.

Just look him up on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

SamuraiFromHell

Oct 28, 2013
"Life after death is life after you" - song "Confession" by Theory Of A Deadman, I imagine the song is much better after a breakup.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Adeptus Aspartem said:
Well there's a really neat german commercial which makes no sense. Here the translation:

"Piccolinis from Buitoni. Extra popular because they're Piccolinis. Extra delicious because they're from Buitoni."

Jeah. I don't even know what to say.
It's a German TV advert. There's much worse. Do you remember "18000, mit drei Nullen, wie drei Stullen"?

Not exactly shakespearian either.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Battenberg said:
Also I haven't heard that Epicurius quote before but it does (extremely simplistically) sum up why I find the idea of a God/ supreme being improbable at best. Out of curiosity what is your issue with it? The counter arguments I've heard against this have, by and large, been awful and typically simplistic and I'm always interested to hear an opposing train of thought on these things. It may be best to pm for this or make a new thread so we don't clog up the thread with a religious debate that no one wants to see.

So that my post has relevance to the thread I'd like to add the entirety of the song 'I touch myself' (I forget who its by). More embarassing than watching Game of Thrones with your parents.
Well the ultimate problem I can see with the Epicurius quote is that it removes the article of personal responsibility as a factor to human well-being. In other words, it places whether or not evil exists in the hands of God rather than in the hands of people. In my mind if God just ensured everyone was happy and righteous then there would be no point in living because you didn't get to make any kind of decision. It's like telling everyone what a wonderful and well-behaved child you have when you have him locked in his room. I'm not even religious anymore and I can see the fundamental flaw in that argument. In any case, you're right about the unwanted debate factor so I'm just gonna leave it there.

OT: Anything by ICP.I don't even need an example.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Any lyrics that have to with "partying".

As for quotes, most quotes in general are rubbish. Quotes are used mostly to foster a false sense of correctness

For instance, I could say
"The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become."
Mark Twain (I don't know if he actually said that, I just grabbed it from BrainyQuotes)

People will pay attention to it not because of the truth or validity of what is said, but because someone famous reportedly said it.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
ImmortalDrifter said:
Battenberg said:

Well the ultimate problem I can see with the Epicurius quote is that it removes the article of personal responsibility as a factor to human well-being. In other words, it places whether or not evil exists in the hands of God rather than in the hands of people. In my mind if God just ensured everyone was happy and righteous then there would be no point in living because you didn't get to make any kind of decision. It's like telling everyone what a wonderful and well-behaved child you have when you have him locked in his room. I'm not even religious anymore and I can see the fundamental flaw in that argument. In any case, you're right about the unwanted debate factor so I'm just gonna leave it there.
I'd say that being happy is a perfectly good reason to live. After all, all these people would be happy with their lives. If you're happy with your life, you usually don't feel that it's pointless to go on living.

When I was in fourth grade, we watched a movie every friday afternoon. Since this was grade school, I didn't get to choose whether I attended class or not -- it was compulsory. But I enjoyed the movies, even though I didn't get to choose how to spend my time.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Living in Korea, you hear quite a few, since they practice the same phrases over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Some of those are listed below, and most come from either students or Korean English Teachers:

1) Do you like kimchi?

2) I think kimchi is too spicy for foreigners.

3) You are sick? You should take a rest.

4) is famous for . "Jeonju is famous for bibimbap; Mokpo is famous for hongeo; etc..." (No matter what you say about any given place, no matter how backwoods it is, it's famous for something)

5) Do you have girlfriend? Do you have wife? Do you have children? Do you have gay? (in that order)

6) Did you know Korea invented ? (my favorite is when they tell me they invented fried chicken)

7) Can you use chopsticks? (You've seen me using them for the past year. Yes, I can.)

8) I'm surprised you can use chopsticks! (Often said after the response to seven.)

9) I don't know... (as a response to any binary question; it's yes or no people, this is very simple.)

There are so many more, and the ones spoken by students are understandable, but from Korean Coteachers, c'mon guys, I've been here a year already, you know me, let's step your game up.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
GabeZhul said:
Any Gloryhammer song. They are desperately trying to be a symphonic power metal band on par with Rhapsody of Fire, but I just cannot take them seriously when the "storyline" of their songs is about a sorcerer named "Zargothrax" taking over a fantasy world with an army of undead unicorns... -.-'
The unicorn invasion of Dundee!

They came with the first light of dawn
setting their sights on Dundee
led by the sorcerer Zargothrax
slaying all people he sees
they ride to war on once noble beasts
corrupted by wizard spell
the unicorns used to be good
now they are forced to serve hell

Down from the mountains
and across the river Tay
an army of undead unicorns
are riding into the fray

Fireballs and lighting are raining from the sky
chaos and bloodshed while all the people die
in this epic battle begins the final war
tragedy will strike this day, prepare thee for
the unicorn invasion of Dundee

The townpeople had little hope
they were not ready for war f
ireballs make everybody die
and buildings collapse to the floor
the beautiful princess was raped
and taken prison with cry
Angus McFife swears a mighty oath
"I will make Zargothrax die!"
The band is a piss-take on overblown symphonic metal bands, such as Rhapsody of Fire.
I mean, the keyboardist and mastermind is from Alestorm.
Of course it's all silly ad not at all serious!

QuiB25

Jul 7, 2010
bartholen said:
Any lyrics by Black Eyed Peas. Their music is fucking awful, and should be banned.
YEAH! That's why I don't listen to pop, electronica, or classical music. Because they're just not SAYING ANYTHING MAAAN.