Lyrics or quotes that make you cringe.

vegetalss4

Feb 15, 2011
2012 Wont Happen said:
TWRule said:
While I'm on the topic, I once stayed at a hotel where the laundry bag had a quote on it: "Laundry is the only thing that should be sorted by color." And it was attributed on the bag to Nietzsche. I HIGHLY doubt that Nietzsche ever such a thing, both for historical reasons and due to how Nietzsche is...even if he did say it, the sheer irony of *his* having said it would probably be a lot more than the hotel bargained for...
Nietzsche was incredibly anti-racist. Specifically, he was opposed to anti-semitism. What would be strange about him asserting that quote other than the fact that washing machines didn't exist then?

Or are you one of the people who just mindlessly believes Nietzsche was a Nazi because he was German and talked about something called übermensch, a concept totally unrelated to race in his works?
To be fair to that group of people, Nietzsches sister spent quite a bit of time and effort to try to use/twist his philosophy to justify the Nazis after she joined with them.
Sure Nietzsche himself meant something utterly different, but one could easily make the mistake of believing his sisters propaganda.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
So simple. The songs Blurred Lines and Get Lucky. Both awful awful overplayed songs with the lyrical value of a Cocker Spaniel falling asleep on the keyboard
I had to listen to those songs on loop over the summer where I worked. I can't understand how these songs became popular.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Buccura said:
"What does the fox say? *Obnoxious noises*"

There's others but that's what pops into my head first.
Yeah they sort of do make those obnoxious noises xD
But i agree, i fucking hate that song so much i want to strangle any person that ever plays it loudly in a public place......

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
Anything involving putting your hands in the air like you just don't care. I've heard that one a bit too often.

Kged

Mar 17, 2013
This is a song called "Life" by a deservedly obscure British singer called Des'ree. It has won awards as The Worst Lyric Of All Time. Are you ready for this? No. No you are not ready for this. I beg forgiveness, international friends - soon there will come a time in your life when you can look back to the days before you encountered this song, and reminisce about how everything was better back then.

"I'm afraid of the dark
Specially when I'm in a park
And there's no one else around,
I get the shivers.

I don't want to see a ghost,
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news
."

Professional musicians actually made this happen to the world. I'm still coming to terms with that.

II2

Mar 13, 2010

GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY GET MONEY
x 10 minutes 45 sec

Though, for the record, it makes me cringe in the good way...???

It's just really nervous and weird before it just turns into psychedelic syllable soup devoid of meaning.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Can I just go with 'Anything Bob Dylan ever says'? The man's voice is termites in the ears.
Yeah! .. WAIT, WHAT?!

I am honestly intrigued, why is he so bad? XD

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CharrHearted said:
Alright, little background on me. I'm a half-Irish person living in the U.S. who enjoys a great many things. I like rock and classics, jazz and blues, and I'm even alright with country and rap. Hell, I'm cool with bagpipes and accordians...played properly.

I heard Bob Dylan and something deep inside of me went "NYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUGGGHHH!!!!" because his voice disagrees with my senses. I begrudgingly accept that he probably wrote some good lyrics, but I won't be listening to them so long as he's the one singing them. It's just the voice.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Vegosiux said:
"Misery builds character."

Though I suppose that one is technically correct. After all, resentment, frustration, pettiness and vengefulness are character traits.
I'll add to that "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". By that logic PTSD and any other sort of mental trauma count as superpowers. Oh, and wheelchairs are SO much better than a working pair of legs.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Two examples:

Hawthorne Heights in "Ohio is for Lovers": "...you know you do/ you kill me well"

Me: She kills you... "well"? As in, she does a good job killing you? You really couldn't come up with a better way to describe that?

Maroon5 in "Payphone": "...even the sun sets in paradise"

Me: I can't convince myself that this lyric is supposed to mean anything but 'even in paradise, the sun sets'. Yeah, I get it. However, the lyric, as written, implies that everything, including the sun, sets in paradise. You'd better watch out, buddy! The building you're in might set over ther horizon, trapping you in a neverending chasm of eternal darkness. Sounds like your recent breakup is the least of your problems.

In short, if I have to suppress my inner grammar nazi to enjoy your song, I hate you.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
mokes310 said:
Living in Korea, you hear quite a few, since they practice the same phrases over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Some of those are listed below, and most come from either students or Korean English Teachers:

-Snip-

5) Do you have girlfriend? Do you have wife? Do you have children? Do you have gay? (in that order)
"Do you have gay?"

Did someone really ask you that? That is adorable. I'd just want to pinch that poor confused Korean's cheeks and say "Dawww!"

In any case, might make a fun conversation with my friend who lived in SE Asia for a while.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I can't name anything specific, but a lot of R&B types that go along the lines of "'Ey, gurl. I'ma show you to a good time 'cause I'm such a playa."

Fast-forward a couple albums and the rigmarole switches to "Gurl, I love you. Honest. That other girl don't mean nothin' to me. You my Number One 4 eva."

Next thing you know, said singer is involved in a domestic dispute or some sort of divorce case. Womp-womp, to quote Archer.

When that fails to sell, said singer usually tries to embrace the fact that he's been fundamentally acting like a complete and utter scumbag. "Man, I don't give a shit; bitches left, right and center! Shake that bootay!"

And then obscurity swallows them.

I also have this thing where really self-absorbed Symphonic Power Metal bands bother me. You've got this series of extensively researched solos and movements, and the only thing your singer can reference is his last Dungeons and Dragons campaign. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this. Wizards being kickass and lone warriors fighting to the bitter end for their fair maiden only take you so far...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Meriatressia said:
'What does'nt kill you makes you stronger', is one of the most grindingly cretinous, pieces of garbage, ever said.

It's total and utter bullcrap.

If something nearly kills you, you are going to have mental and phsyical scars.
You also can get PTSD, and other things.

It does the absolute oppossite of making stronger.

The only people who would say it, are people who never had to deal with anything bad, or nearly died.
Or retardedly cretinous morons.
You know for some reason I don't really think it's meant to be taken so literally :p. It's just a fancy way of saying you can grow as a person having endured and experienced hardships in life. It's an attitude thing you know?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LittleThestral said:
Every time I hear that song, I worry that this time, THIS TIME, it'll end with her wearing his skin.

Given it's a pop song, wouldn't that be a far funnier ending?

ForumSafari said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sort of ironic
Only if you assume that I'm Christian or pro-life.
Actually, no. I didn't even bother to think about whether you were Christian OR pro-life. The fact is, my statement of irony is even more apt if your selective application here doesn't come from a place of "abortion=murder!!!!!!!!!"

I mean, you even say:

a bad argument is a bad argument wherever it lies.
But that was my point in the first place.

Fox12 said:
Rand Paul in general just pisses me off. Most of what he says makes me cringe.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fox12 said:
Rand Paul in general just pisses me off. Most of what he says makes me cringe.
He's certainly not as good as his father, or Justin Amash, but I prefer him over the neoconservative right and the members of the surveillance state left. Of course, It's gotten to the point where I can't distinguish between the two any more. Atleast Rand has some respect for civil liberties.