MacGyver Movie in the Works

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Richard Dean Anderson had better be MacGyver in this. I doubt anyone else could pull it off.
And hey, if he can still fight jaffa, replicators and the ori at over 60+ i'm sure this will be easy.
He only fights against the replicators because he accidentally created them back in 1988 with two paper clips, a roll of duct tape, a popsicle stick, and a butane lighter.
Damn you, you made me choke on my pepsi XD
Plinglebob said:
He may be able to at his age, but not with the stomach he was showing in the 1st episode of SG: Universe.
Ah, that was body armour, yep, body armour

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Chipperz said:
...MacGuyver is real? I thought it was just a running joke in the Simpsons...

...Wow.
Wow...I...wow. I have no idea what to say to that. I really don't.
Just say "generation gap". It'll help you sleep.

OT: I never saw MacGyver myself, but I've seen some clips, and it's kind of entertaining, in a curious sort of way. I wonder if that mind of his is still as sharp.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Richard Dean Anderson quit Stargate to spend more time with his family, so I don't think he'll go for a whole movie, I predict a shitty remake but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Chipperz said:

...Wow.
Oh yes, it was a product of the 80s to the extreme, hell, check out the theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-oDZSLUrY (this had been be in the movie)

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
You can't make MacGyver without RDA, it's illegal or something.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
I actually recently bought the seasons of MacGyver. Its such an awesome show, I wouldn't mind seeing a movie.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Blind Sight said:
Richard Dean Anderson quit Stargate to spend more time with his family, so I don't think he'll go for a whole movie
Pretty much this. RDA quit to spend time with his family, and god knows he deserves it. As awesome as RDA in a new MacGyver would be, maybe just a cameo would be enough to do the name justice.

Shame Dana Elcar wouldn't be able to be in it... :(

Incidentally Mr. Westbrook, I disagree with your opinion that "the mullet can stay with the TV show". MacGyver and the mullet are one and the same. If there is no mullet, it's just some weirdo boy scout without a gun.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Chipperz said:

...Wow.
Well most of the escapists were not even around when this masterpiece of a show invaded our houses in the 80's. Every Sunday afternoon at 3pm was time for Macgyver. No children playing outside, almost not even traffic, everybody and their mother were watching the show.

OP: Knowing that Anderson is now 60, I hope they adapt the plot to a more mature Macgyver without loosing the spirit of the TV show.

But Dana Elcar (Pete) died in 2005 :(

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
So... We have a (pretty fickin' awesome for the 80s) TV show; a parody of that show on SNL during 20 years later; a movie based on those parodies 10 years after that; and a movie based on the original show approx. 5 years after that.

That's recycling worthy of MacGuyver himself.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Deofuta said:
Not going to lie, I have never seen an episode. However, I LOVE Richard Anderson, SG-1 was the best when he was on it.

Are his little crazy inventions as prevalent in the series as the multiple parodies/spoofs make them out to be? or is it just something that happened every once in a while?
Yes they are, an average of 5 inventions/gadgets per show.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Chipperz said:

...Wow.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Granted, MacGyver was (according to my parents) my favorite show during my (extremely) formative years (I was 4), so I would obviously know about it from personal experience, but how is it even possible to think a pop-culture piece of history like MacGyver, which informed and was in turn referred back to by other works of pop-culture ever since it aired, was actually just something the writers of The Simpsons made up as a running joke?

That's just... wow.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I fear we'll need a petition to avoid some awful young actor (LaBeouf: yikes!!!) playing the lead.
We need the real "Mac" to fix this up properly!

Give those youngsters a lenght of string, three and a half paper clips and a rusty tin can and they WONT be able to turn it into a cold fusion reactor; tsssk!

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Hawkeye16 said:
Is nothing sacred?
Well I hope Hollywood wont desecrate this one, its my favourite TV show of the 80's and one of the favourites ever. But you got a point, and knowing how Hollywood is great butchering all classics I understand your statement.

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
Orcus_35 said:
If There's no Richard Dean Anderson, it doesn't exist.
Fixed it for you :)

OT: I really hope this will be good, because I grew up on MacGyver (it aired a bit later in Norway, and they're still showing reruns.) You do not mess with MacGyver, or the Duct tape will do bad things to you.

HoverWhale

Apr 10, 2009
Ch-ch-ch-chip and Dale...

I've never actually seen MacGyver, but I've heard a lot about it and it sounds amazing and quite ridiculous (in a good way), so I would definitely watch this.
I think they should probably at least slightly reference the mullet, even if not directly. Like, they could have a bit, probably near the start, where he can't decide how his hair should be.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
If Richard Dean Anderson isn't in it, even as a side character, im gonna be furious! Without him in the movie at all, i can safely say 'Epic Fail'.

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
Vitor Goncalves said:
Hawkeye16 said:
Is nothing sacred?
Well I hope Hollywood wont desecrate this one, its my favourite TV show of the 80's and one of the favourites ever. But you got a point, and knowing how Hollywood is great butchering all classics I understand your statement.

Whats next? A remake of Lucy? M*A*S*H? Hogans Heroes? The A-Team? Wait....

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Oh Holywood ruining my childhood one movie at a time. I've watched every episode of MacGyver. If you do make a movie please make it good and not just some lets make fun of an old tv show with a new movie. ALA Brady Bunch, Starsky & Hutch, Dukes Of Hazzard, etc etc. If you are going to make a MacGyver movie please make it movie that is actually like the tv show.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
I'm pretty sure they tried this not more than a year ago, and then the writer/director guy realized that Richard Dean Anderson is 1) Getting kinda old and 2) Put on some weight, and well simply put without Richard Dean Anderson, there is no MacGuyver. No I do not want a reboot and there is no exceptions with this for me, but I have the odd feeling it will be about MacGuyvers son, since for those who did not watch the series the last episode ended with that lil cliff hanger. (Oh and Teal'c was in the last episode as a high school student if I remember correctly)

Get excited for MacGuyver Jr.!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON IS THE GREATEST THING TO HAPPEN TO TV!

plus if he isnt reprising his role i really don't give a damn about the movie. GRANTED that there should a MacGyver for this generation. He was the awesome for the 80s/90s