Madhouse Releases First Look at X-Men Anime

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Madhouse Releases First Look at X-Men Anime

The world famous X-Men have been anime-ified.

Anime studio Madhouse has revealed the first footage of its take on the X-Men. Like most anime series, it takes a more detailed look at the X-Men and their abilities.

The footage shows Cyclops blasting through some rocks, Storm bring down a blizzard on a cruise ship (?), Beast hopping around, and other characters like Wolverine and Professor X. The basic storyline is as follows:

The X-Men are reunited following the death of a teammate, and are summoned by Charles Xavier to Japan following the abduction of Hisako Ichiki (Armor). There, they confront the U-Men, a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on.

The X-Men anime is one of four properties Marvel and Madhouse are working on with some guidance from popular comic book scribe Warren Ellis. The other properties include Iron Man, Blade, and Wolverine.

All four series are said to include 12 episodes, each 30 minutes long. G4TV signed a deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102407-Four-Marvel-Anime-Series-Hitting-G4-in-2011] to bring the four to its network, either dubbed or subtitled, in 2011.

Source: Japanator [http://www.japanator.com/x-men-gets-an-anime-adaptation-looks-awesome-18655.phtml]

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Well, I did like the Iron Man anime. Maybe this will be as good. I can't really tell given that this isn't a particularly informative trailer.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
The Iron Man one was really mediocre, and the Wolverine one was terrible. I'm not exactly feeling positive about this one.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I can see Iron Man (with the mech and computer focus) and Blade (with it's supernatural components) but I'm not feeling the X-men will be good. I'll try it out (If I actually can view it in this fucking country) but I'm on the fence.

FredTheUndead said:
The Iron Man one was really mediocre, and the Wolverine one was terrible. I'm not exactly feeling positive about this one.
Was this the Iron man movie made about 3 years ago? Along with the Avengers and Doctor Strange? If so I take it back that was fucking terrible.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Kalezian said:
well, par for the course when it comes to action anime.

but I cant stop thinking, at 0:12-0:14-ish, was that Wolverine or Beast?

but speaking as someone who grew up with the old X-Men cartoon, I might actually watch this for the sake of it being another X-Men cartoon.

I MISS THIS CARTOON!!! *Sobs*

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The trailer look cool but I couldn't get into Iron Man and Wolverine. I will check out episode 1 though to see if it's worth watching the rest.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Wasn't X-Men already an anime with "X-Men Evolution" back in the day?

Though, this looks to be much higher quality in terms of artistry and animation. And the subject matter looks much less kid-friendly. I'm looking forward to this, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So the X-Men are going to Japan, huh? Let's hope it doesn't get lost in translation.

Cyclops actually looks pretty cool, but still,... it's only Cyclops.

I don't know if the Japanese mentality will mingle very welll with the whole aesthetic behind X-Men, though. We'll see.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
I think this looks pretty good.
Quality and such.
They just need to sidestep the "many episodes in which nothing happens" pitfall, they should be fine.

allways2edlast

Jul 29, 2010
It at least Looks good from an animation point a view(well it is done by madhouse). But I Hightly doubt It will be as good as the 90's cartoon serise and Im not just saying that because of the dullness of the other marvel calibration.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm actually impressed, I was a little nervous when they said X-men was going to have an anime style.

Now if this does become good they had better not cancel it after a few seasons like they did the other ones, I'm still pissed about that.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Well if it turns our anything like the Iron Man or Wolverine animes, then it should be terrible.