Make me want to play oblivion.

blushmoe

Nov 19, 2009
Ok. So back when it was released i played this game for about 3 hours. I found it to be a uninteresting game with a very bad RPG system. I was a mage & equipped i sword & was killing everything and thought "LOL bad game." and put it down never returning to it thinking it would be another game forgotten in a few years.
So what is so great about it? I've been meaning to try it again because i'm sure it is a great game seeing how popular it is, but i just can't seem to find the interest.
Lets hear your sales pitch. Try & sell me the game. Hell, even tell me any mods or add-ons that will enhance the experience.

NOTE: I'm not trying to have a go at the Elders Scrolls series. I know that if this many people like it, it can't be a bad game, but I'm having trouble finding the enthusiasm.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
I'm not sure anyone could make you do that...

It's pretty bad, but here's my attempt.

There's a mod that makes you level up like an RPG (aka experience instead of ...whatever) and a mod that makes items level up with you so that unique items don't end up as sucky as they are (level scaling items...what were they thinking?)

There are also some mods with interesting quests if you look. And the DLC is better than the vanilla game.

Personally I played it while drunk which massively improved it in my eyes. If you are willing to risk your liver, go for that.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
Well, if you are on the PC, have a lot of time AND patience AND technical know-how, use this mod guide to turn the buggy mess into a real RPG.

http://www.somethingfornobody.com/2011/oblivion-modding-guide/

Or try to play the vanilla, though it might bore you, since it was bad on release and you can imagine how is it now.

Alternatively, don't play it. At all. If you didn't like it then, I see no reason why you should now. If you're not an "action-adventure/RPG" kind of guy, you have nothing to look for in Oblivion.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
It's not everyone's cup of tea. You have to be into the RPG games to be into it, even then it's not for everyone. Some people prefer different types of games, I'm not going to shove my gaming opinion down your throat as long as you do the same.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
...Ham. Steak. Cannon.

But honestly, you not having fun says more about you than the game. The game is fun, and many times you have to make your own fun. Kinda how an RPG should be.

If you are sitting there waiting for the game to MAKE you have fun with it. You're kinda in the wrong mindset for...well, a lot of things.

So make it rain flaming puppies on a poor village, download a mod that turns the moon into a roast beef sub. Skip across a lake and flying dragon kick a homeless woman.

The world is your burrito. Do what you want with it.

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
oplinger said:
But honestly, you not having fun says more about you than the game. The game is fun, and many times you have to make your own fun. Kinda how an RPG should be.
We never had to make our own fun in Wizardry, Baldur's Gate, Ultima 7, Fallout, Might and Magic, KOTOR, . But that's just it, a good CRPG doesn't require the player to make their own fun, they are fun themselves.

OP, popularity has nothing to do with greatness. There is no need for political correctness, if you think the game is a dog, then it's a dog. There is no variable that can be changed to make the game finally click with you. Fundamental design shortcomings can not be mitigated with mods, add-ons, "making your own fun", or anything else.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
If you don't want to play it, don't play it. Just because other people like it, doesn't mean you're wrong if you don't. Lots of people like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Lots of people like first person games in general. I don't. And that's okay.

If you're not enthusiastic about Oblivion, then it sounds like you're trying to force something that shouldn't be forced. Do what you're enthusiastic about. If you find that the community doesn't talk about games that you like, and it gets you down that you feel you don't have things in common with them, find another one that likes what you like, or more real life friends with similar interests.

I know the hard way that caring too much what other people think, is a precious waste of life that me and everyone needs to get over as much as we possibly can. And it sounds like you're doing exactly that. You don't like the game. But you want to because you'll be able to relate to people. That's what it sounds like.

Because you already said that you didn't like the game and it bored you. But that you're trying too hard to be open minded when neither you or I or anyone needs to force ourselves to be too open minded and like something. And yet you're asking us to make you like the game. Instead, shouldn't we just respect you if you don't like the game?

I myself am getting kind of tired of this section of the forum. There's too many topics about games I'm not particularly super enthusiastic about. I may start coming here just for the My Little Pony group. And that's fine.

Personally, what do I like doing? I don't much care for Oblivion, but I didn't pay much for it. And I like to load it up with Asian mods. You can personalize it to a great degree and if you like making your own game so to speak, Oblivion has a lot of that. But that's not for everyone. I like to use sandboxes to pretend I'm playing another world I like many times. For instance, in Oblivion I like to pretend I'm Link, if I've run out of Zelda games to play. Or I can pretend I'm playing a Tales of game a little bit. And mess around in all sorts of ways. Just collecting food can be kind of fun, doing something like that is a lot like playing Harvest Moon.

But again, that's just me. Oblivion is just a throwaway sandbox to goof around in and loosen up. It's not something I feel particularly involved in and embraced by the virtual world. But if you don't want to play it, that's fine. It's an honestly pretty overrated game. Perhaps other wRPGs are more your style. Perhaps you're more of a jRPG person like me. That's fine. Be enthusiastic about the games you like. There's no deciphering the taste of other human beings. Something you hate, will always be popular and hyped by some people.

The main, true appeal of the Elder Scrolls is exploration. It doesn't excel at any other area that I am aware. If you don't like exploration, then Elder Scrolls games are not for you. It's not more complicated than that. And don't beat yourself up over it if you don't like it.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Machocruz said:
oplinger said:
We never had to make our own fun in Wizardry, Baldur's Gate, Ultima 7, Fallout, Might and Magic, KOTOR, . But that's just it, a good CRPG doesn't require the player to make their own fun, they are fun themselves.

OP, popularity has nothing to do with greatness. There is no need for political correctness, if you think the game is a dog, then it's a dog. There is no variable that can be changed to make the game finally click with you. Fundamental design shortcomings can not be mitigated with mods, add-ons, "making your own fun", or anything else.
And you never had fun being the character? Never decided to do things your own way, see what you could do? Or did you just do exactly what you were told?

You make your own fun in non-linear games most of the time. The game gives you a direction and a story, but overall it's up to you to have the fun with it. If you played BG or ME, and just went from main quest to main quest, the game's pretty short and boring. You have to explore. You make the choices. You make your character. You act how you want. You RP a little bit if you want, be in character. You make your own fun.

The game is just a tool to enhance your fun. If I played Fallout 2 with an angry scrunchy face of hatred, I doubt I would have liked it.

Psycho78

Jan 12, 2011
Oblivion is 5 years old but the mods keep coming. Go to a site like http://www.tesnexus.com/ and see if the mods interest you.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Sales pitch, huh? Ok, play the game to 100%, and I'll give you the antidote! Oh, you might want to hurry up with this though, just sayin'...

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
SeanTheOriginal said:
blushmoe said:
Try & sell me the game.
Oblivion Sex Mod.
That is all.
Why did that amuse me so much?

Actually, if you're a jRPG fan. And you don't like Oblivion and how much so many people like it, you can really mess with people and make jRPG haters pointlessly angry over your anime mods by posting things on youtube.

Oblivion on Steam: $25
Perfect Weeabolivion Mods: A little bit of free time and effort.
Trolling the heck out of every wRPG loving jRPG/Anime/Asia hater: Priceless.

I mean, you can't tell me that kind of entertainment ain't worth it. It's like throwing a rock at a bees nest. Just look at all that anime hating rage.

And make sure to also have a title like "The way Oblivion is meant to be played" or something to really infuriate the Asian game haters. Remember, it's not trolling if they have it coming.

You shouldn't even have to like Oblivion. Just seeing all of those fans of Obvlion raging over something like a few Asian mods is entertainment worth $25. Oh so much mad.

By the way, I'm not out and out advocating trolling of all sorts. Just people who rage over stupid things. Out and out trolling for the sake of trolling is kind of jerkish. But when people rage over something like this, it's a justified barrel of laughs.

Oh, and if you do this, you should totally put something in the description like "my charr is sooooooo kawaii ^________________^ desu neee?" and put on some Jpop. The internet will explode from the rage.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
thethingthatlurks said:
Sales pitch, huh? Ok, play the game to 100%, and I'll give you the antidote! Oh, you might want to hurry up with this though, just sayin'...
Why not just ask him to crawl to the moon in 2 days? XD

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
so you don't like that you can kill things with a weapon made to kill things in the starter dungeon? odd... choosing a class doesn't gimp your attributes, it only raises certain ones. If you really wanted you could become great with a sword, axe, dagger, magic, and bow at the same time. choosing your class only directs you to where you want to focus, it doesn't force you to use magic if you choose mage.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
blushmoe said:
So what is so great about it? I've been meaning to try it again because i'm sure it is a great game seeing how popular it is, but i just can't seem to find the interest.
I don't normally say this, but you could really make use of the search feature. In the last week alone there have been several threads with this same topic, all with very good responses.

But I'll give you a quick summary:
Huge world, exploration (bonus points if you're playing Morrowind), freedom, immersion, some of the surprisingly rare games where magic is fun and done well, great story and lore built into the world with everything from quests and strange NPCs to books filled with poems, history etc.

(No doubt I'll get quoted by people wishing to dispute one or more of those, but fact is, the above are the common reasons people who like Elder Scrolls like Elder Scrolls).

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Genericjim101 said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Why not just ask him to crawl to the moon in 2 days? XD
Good point! Hey, OP, beat Oblivion to 100% while crawling to the moon in 2 days, or no antidote! Remember, tissue necrosis is nasty, wouldn't want that to happen to you, right?

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
oplinger said:
And you never had fun being the character? Never decided to do things your own way, see what you could do? Or did you just do exactly what you were told?

You make your own fun in non-linear games most of the time. The game gives you a direction and a story, but overall it's up to you to have the fun with it. If you played BG or ME, and just went from main quest to main quest, the game's pretty short and boring. You have to explore. You make the choices. You make your character. You act how you want. You RP a little bit if you want, be in character. You make your own fun.

The game is just a tool to enhance your fun. If I played Fallout 2 with an angry scrunchy face of hatred, I doubt I would have liked it.
I had fun playing the games, not "being" the character. I'm not trying to escape from life or be "immersed" into polygons. I don't LARP in video games. The rules and stats are enough to define the character's role. I don't give game companies 60 dollars so that I have to do the work of making their game fun. I'd just play free Minecraft if I wanted an empty world that I have to extract fun out of.

For example, Divine Divinity was fun, because the quests were well written and interesting and the music was beautiful, and I enjoyed the character building and the art and atmosphere, and it seemed like their could be interesting quests and details around every corner -all things I didn't have to make happen. The game was huge, but I didn't have to invent my own imaginary scenarios or gameplay challenges. Same with other open world RPGs like Fallout 2, Ultima 7, FF12, Might and Magic 6.

I'm not saying Oblivion doesn't give the player tasks and challenges, I just don't think the right sales pitch in the OP's case is "you have to make your own fun."

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Oblivion on Steam: $25
Perfect Weeabolivion Mods: A little bit of free time and effort.
Trolling the heck out of every wRPG loving jRPG/Anime/Asia hater: Priceless.
I see your hilariously modded game and raise you Mr. Mochi.

Vrach said:
books filled with poems, history etc.
There is no book but The Lusty Argonian Maid.