Make One Slight Change to A Game, Make it 1000X More Awesome

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
Replace everyone with a sentient, talking dinosaur.

Come on, chaps, how can you turn down the chance to play as a rampaging tyrannosaurus with rifles duct-taped to his itty-bitty arms?

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Hmmm.

Combining Rise of Nations with a RUSE like system once you reach the Industrial (Or maybe Enlightenment + eras). That would be...

Well, it would make me fail Uni. Heh.

I know most people did not like RUSE. That is because RUSE was a pile of shite. However, if someone combined RUSE with a real strategy game, an old school game at that (I miss advancing through time periods, I miss upgrading my units from dicks with spears to dicks with assault rifles, I miss rock paper scissors medieval battles, I miss the subtle combination of strategic AND tactical combat, I fucking hate Starcraft) it would, quite frankly, be exactly what the RTS community needs and exactly the kind of game that I would be able to get 100+ hours out of (A feat no game released in the last 5 years has managed to succeed. I do not want to even think about the amount of time I spent on RON)

And I know most people do not even know what Rise of Nations is. Because it is very old, had one amazing expansion pack and its sequel was an abomination. I also know Rise of nations is dead, I know that the old school RTS model has died and been replaced with Starcraft, I know these things.

But if you took Rise of Nations, gave it a new coat of paint and a scale of warfare similar to RUSE... Or just a new coat of paint it would, in my eyes, be the best RTS on the market.

Because it is still one of the best RTS games I have ever played. With a few mods and the right game settings it is essential real time civilization with tactical battles.

Fuck it. I need to stop thinking about RON. I have reading to do and essays to write. Fuck me, being a student is horrible sometimes. And I need to stop procrastinating.

Shikua

Dec 7, 2010
Paper Mario Sticker Star: Add a levelling system. And more than a bare-bones story.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
-Chrono Cross: Subtract roughly 60% of the total cast of player characters; re-emphasize development of the smaller cast. (alternatively, give the player the option to kill Kor'cha in the most brutal, grotesque manner possible)

-Crisis Core: Subtract "Genesis", and anything having to do with him. Make it a generic SOLDIER revolt. Focus on his relationship with Aeris, and his friendship with Cloud.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Take COD...
Remove the guns
Replace it with medieval weaponry

------------------------------------

Alternatively: Take COD
Replace the combat system with the Devil May Cry combat system

:D

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
FizzyIzze said:
--How cool would that be to have legit Mongoose races in Halo? One player drives and the passenger gets to shoot the guys in 2nd place in the face. What's not to love about that idea?
They already have that.
Oh man, I blazed through Halo 3 because I was house sitting and this guy had both 3 and Reach and I just wanted to get to Reach. Is there a custom map maker? It sure looks like it.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
--How cool would that be to have legit Mongoose races in Halo? One player drives and the passenger gets to shoot the guys in 2nd place in the face. What's not to love about that idea?
You could have been doing this years ago lol. Haven't you heard of Forge?

Which brings me to my next point. Halo needs a server list so I can choose the custom map and gametype I want to play. Although they get some use out of it, the Forge is basically going to waste without this feature. It would really open things up for custom games.

Also, add fixed difficulty levels to Rocksmith. BOOM, that was the sound of a tragic disappointment becoming one of the greatest triumphs in video game history.
FizzyIzze said:
Oh man, I blazed through Halo 3 because I was house sitting and this guy had both 3 and Reach and I just wanted to get to Reach. Is there a custom map maker? It sure looks like it.
Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4 all have the Forge mode. It's very fun. Build your own maps from scratch or hypercharge the existing selection!

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Sir Pootis said:
LOZ: Skyward Sword - Have a proper control scheme.
So much this, or at least make it work properly. Why did they remove equipping items to the d-pad?

OT: Add Team Fortress 2 pyrovision to every game out there. It'd solve the grayness issue in most modern military FPSs and turn any boring adventure game into a long hallucinogenic trip.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Take any FPS and replace all the enemy npc's with snowmen and gingerbread-men. That would certainly make most average fps's more fun for me for some reason. >.>

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Rooster Cogburn said:
FizzyIzze said:

Which brings me to my next point. Halo needs a server list so I can choose the custom map and gametype I want to play. Although they get some use out of it, the Forge is basically going to waste without this feature. It would really open things up for custom games.

Also, add fixed difficulty levels to Rocksmith. BOOM, that was the sound of a tragic disappointment becoming one of the greatest triumphs in video game history.
FizzyIzze said:
Halo 3, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4 all have the Forge mode. It's very fun. Build your own maps from scratch or hypercharge the existing selection!
Wow, I was so wrong in giving up on Halo after 2. I mean, I did finish 3 and Reach like I said, but I never took it online because I assumed it was all just the same sniping/circle strafing, only with different maps.

Incidentally, did you play Halo Anniversary? Can you tell me if they added a full-screen co-op campaign view? Or is it still split-screen, local co-op only?

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Just Cause 2: Add destructo-physics.

Or Just Cause 2: Add that stealth mechanic that was foreshadowed in the trailers

Or Just Cause 2: Make the line of the grappling hook a solid object.

...I like Just Cause 2.

Captcha: gift horse. Heh, I guess you're right, captcha.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Any game: make cut-scenes skip-able if they aren't skippable or at the very least have them skippable on a subsequent playthrough. Assassin's Creed 1 was an awfully designed game in terms of this, want to show the game to friends? Got to go through to the story again.

Games with text dialogue: allow text speed if it isn't available. It's amazing how some DS games skip over this function yet at least one gameboy games allowed it.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Sir Pootis said:
LOZ: Skyward Sword - Have a proper control scheme.
This. A thousand times, this.

I really wanted to love that game, and I got so close, but every time I started to feel good about it, the controls proceeded to kick me in the balls. Just let me play it with a gamecube controller, and it would be amazing.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
FizzyIzze said:

FizzyIzze said:
Wow, I was so wrong in giving up on Halo after 2. I mean, I did finish 3 and Reach like I said, but I never took it online because I assumed it was all just the same sniping/circle strafing, only with different maps.

Incidentally, did you play Halo Anniversary? Can you tell me if they added a full-screen co-op campaign view? Or is it still split-screen, local co-op only?
You can play the Halo Anniversary campaign cooperatively with two players, each using their full screen, over Xbox LIVE. Or you can still do local splitscreen, of course.

Shit man, you missed out. Halo 3 online was way better then Halo 2. Reach is my favorite online game, but it did have some ludicrously bad maps, specifically the ones used for double team. Each team got their own sniper on a tiny map, and whichever sniper won the initial duel could own the whole map with it. It was ridiculous. Fortunately, you could avoid that by sticking to the many other game types. Unfortunately, double team is the one I really wanted to play lol.

As for Halo 4, your enjoyment of it will depend on how you feel about the new load out/ ordnance/ unlock guns system they borrowed from Call of Duty. If you took that out it would probably be the best Halo online ever. Fortunately, while Halo 4 does share those features, they aren't nearly so heinous. You unlock items quickly, and you don't have to do long-term grinds to get the best mods for each individual weapon. I could go on about the details, but basically Halo 4's unlock system is like a one-time leveling up experience, whereas Call of Duty's is a never-ending grind-a-thon, where you have to grind certain weapons for specific benefits and things like that.

Halo 4 tracks those types of things with Commendations and cosmetic rewards, not gameplay rewards. And don't worry about the pace of the game becoming like Call of Duty, because in that regard it's still very Halo. A lot more than Halo 2, what with it's overpowered Battle Rifle and gimmicky dual wield fucking with the balance and pacing.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Rooster Cogburn said:
FizzyIzze said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
FizzyIzze said:

FizzyIzze said:

You can play the Halo Anniversary campaign cooperatively with two players, each using their full screen, over Xbox LIVE. Or you can still do local splitscreen, of course.

Shit man, you missed out. Halo 3 online was way better then Halo 2. Reach is my favorite online game, but it did have some ludicrously bad maps, specifically the ones used for double team. Each team got their own sniper on a tiny map, and whichever sniper won the initial duel could own the whole map with it. It was ridiculous. Fortunately, you could avoid that by sticking to the many other game types. Unfortunately, double team is the one I really wanted to play lol.

As for Halo 4, your enjoyment of it will depend on how you feel about the new load out/ ordnance/ unlock guns system they borrowed from Call of Duty. If you took that out it would probably be the best Halo online ever. Fortunately, while Halo 4 does share those features, they aren't nearly so heinous. You unlock items quickly, and you don't have to do long-term grinds to get the best mods for each individual weapon. I could go on about the details, but basically Halo 4's unlock system is like a one-time leveling up experience, whereas Call of Duty's is a never-ending grind-a-thon, where you have to grind certain weapons for specific benefits and things like that.

Halo 4 tracks those types of things with Commendations and cosmetic rewards, not gameplay rewards. And don't worry about the pace of the game becoming like Call of Duty, because in that regard it's still very Halo. A lot more than Halo 2, what with it's overpowered Battle Rifle and gimmicky dual wield fucking with the balance and pacing.
Thanks man, this is the sort of info it would take days to find out online. I have to admit that my only real motivation to get Halo 4 at this point would be making my own maps for ground vehicles. It's weird, I know, but I can only take so much run-and-gun against other players. I have three copies of Halo: CE (one of which is still sealed) and I was so disgusted with Halo 2 I actually gave it away. I'll definitely give #4 a try. Might skip Anniversary though, unless it goes to $10.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Thanks man, this is the sort of info it would take days to find out online. I have to admit that my only real motivation to get Halo 4 at this point would be making my own maps for ground vehicles. It's weird, I know, but I can only take so much run-and-gun against other players. I have three copies of Halo: CE (one of which is still sealed) and I was so disgusted with Halo 2 I actually gave it away. I'll definitely give #4 a try. Might skip Anniversary though, unless it goes to $10.
Yes, Halo 2 certainly seemed to focus on the series' least remarkable aspects, particularly in the multiplayer.

Just so you know, there is no way for players to search through games and find one to join manually. So if you want people to actually play on your map, you have to have friends or find people to play on the forums or something. This site has a Halo group, that would be a good place to start, but I've never been active myself. Who knows, if you're map/gametype is especially good, maybe 343 Studios will add it to official Matchmaking so everyone will play it (seriously, they do that).

You need to have a lot of people on your friends list who play Halo custom games so you can join one whenever you want.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
I love dishonored but get rid of the chaos system(morality meter)... and get a proper ending.